Colorado School of Mines

« See more reviews of Colorado School of Mines

I loved my school experience. Everything was great from academics to programming of events to get students out and socialize. The only complaint I have is that I wish there were more girls. The school is a world renowned engineering college, therefore, the majority of students are guys. I think the school should do more programs to reach out to women to get them interested in engineering and physical sciences because I think it is necessary to have a mix of males and females in order to make engineering and science progress as far as possible.

The worst thing about our school is the fact that we are an elite engineering school but I've noticed in my first semester that some things they do here are not up to date with other schools. We have such smart students yet some of our resources are not what you'd expect. Another school I visited while looking for schools had a program in their campus website that you could see if washing machines/ dryers were open or finished. You'd think an engineering school could easily come up with that.

Colorado School of Mines is supportive in every way except one, and that effects males interested in meeting companions of the female gender. Although I have meet wonderful friends of the opposite sex, the campus is mostly comprised of males, approximately 74% males. It would be nice if the odds were a bit more equivalent or if CSM had a nearby "sister school." This simple, but true fact, is the only thing I would change from my experience.

The worst thing about Colorado School of Mines is the cafeteria. At first, the food seems to be fairly good. Then, after a while, you start to notice that it isn’t that good. By the end of the first semester, you don’t want anything do with the cafeteria and you avoid it as much as possible. When you come back from break, you will continue to avoid it, because the food hasn’t changed one bit from the cardboard you were eating before.

Maybe the school is too focus on learning, after all I am only 19 years old and would enjoy more relaxed actitives. I am a track star and ranked 1st on the team here but could not get an atheletic scholarship. Which an atheletic scholarship would help me with my finances.

I feel the worst thing about the school is how difficult they make the grading. In other schools they curve the tests, whereas at School of Mines there is no such thing as curving. So the GPA of most students is extremely low compared to students from other universities.

The male students seem to care more about their work then about the females on campus, except for the atheletes. This makes it hard to get help from fellow students since overall the smarter students are not atheletes and there are more male students on campus.

I think the worst thing is the class schedules. As you advance in classes, most them only center on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. So those days become hell on your schedule, while tuesday and thursdays are off days.

The worst thing about my school is the food! The cafeteria has its good and bad days as to how the food tastes, but overall I think the only consistently good food is the homemade desert and soft-serve ice cream.

The social life here is aweful. Everyone walks around very sad and depressed. Work load and intensity puts everyone in a bad mood and most people don't do much but study on weekends and week nights.