Colorado School of Mines Top Questions

Cory

I would tell myself to get ready for the real world. College professors will not take it easy on you because you are having a bad day or because you don’t handle stress as well as others. These professors will kick you to the curb if you are not up to their standards, and each semesters professors seem to have standards higher than the last. I would tell myself to start preparing for the financial stress that you are about to endure for the next four to five years and that if you can work while continuing your education you should do it. Working not only helps ease the financial burden of college but also gives you some time to focus on something else besides homework, projects, and exams. There is no finer career in the world than to become an engineer, but this path will take more work than most. Engineering school will push you very hard. This will be extremely stressful at times, but you will learn so much about your potential to do great things in this world. Finally, I would tell myself to keep pushing for my dreams, especially when they start to seem distant.

Sydney

Forget all the ideas of college and of your future that you have. Wipe the slate clean and be open to new ideas and new opportunities. Have goals and dreams, but don't be surprised if these change and morph throughout the years. College is the time to start figuring out who you are. Who you are at 18 is definitely not who you will be at 23. Dont pass up the opportunity to try out new things. Be that person who says yes to road trips with friends, who agrees to run for student government, who is willing to jump off the stratospher in Vegas, because these life experiences teach you about yourself. Your education is important and will stretch you to be an intelligent person who is ready to achieve your career goals, but only being an academic in college makes life dull. You dont want to look back on your college years and wish you would have tried this, that, and the other. College memories shouldn't be full of regret. They should be full of fun and crazy memories that make you smile and wish you could live it over and over again.

Don't be afraid to meet anyone and everyone who crosses your path. Each person here is so unique and interesting, it is well worth your time to get to know them and learn from their experiences. They also present a multitude of new ideas and approaches to challeges, and that is one of the very best ways to improve yourself and those around you. It never hurts to try new things, and now is the time to explore your options. You also need to keep a positive outlook, and if something is not right for you, only you have the power to change it. Gone are the days with parents keeping a watchful eye, and being an adult is not nearly as much fun as you think it might be, so enjoy college while it lasts.

I'd tell myself that eventually geek will become chic. I'd have to explain the rise of the Marvel cinematic Universe and the success of The Avengers. It would come as qutie a shock to be told that an era of geek love will occur. I'd tell the young Matthew to avoid seeing Daredevil and try to convive myself to save Heath Ledger from his untimely death, (more Joker performances would not be a bad thing) as well as his continued presence for his family. It would also be nice to hear form someone that even though highschool is confusing and rough college is inclusive and amazing. I would have like to know that there will eventually be a place in the world for geeks, freaks and wierdos who interests don't lie within the typical bounds of our culture.

From a social perspective, enjoy the time in college, you never get it back. Have as much fun as possible so long as it doesn't hurt you in the long term. Don't try to make as many friends as possible, but try to develop relationships that will last a lifetime. Academically, keep your grades high to ensure future employment success, but don't waste your college experience trying to get a 4.0 instead of a 3.8, unless that is really what is most important to you. Take summer internships in different industries and/or locations. The experience and network will be have benefits for years to come. Finally, utilize the resources at your school as much as possible, whether it is personally or professionally. Once you leave, you don't realize how valuable they are.

When I was a senior in high school, I was bent on having a plan and didn't look into many different options for college. I was determined to get as far away from the rest of my high school class as I could. Because of that, I ended up spending two years at a college I hated before transferring to the right school for me. The right school turned out to be a lot like my high school, which was just what I needed. I had thought I needed to move halfway across the country into a completely different enviornment in order to grow as a person. It turns out moving halfway across the country was a good idea, but completely changing the type of enviornment I was in was just too much for me. So basically I wish I had known to do more research before making a decision and that I should go somewhere where I would be challenged, but comfortable.

Go straight to Mines, don't try to transfer in credits. It will only slow you down. Mines will get you on track much faster than you think. Also, while you're in high school, apply to as many scholarships as you can. It never hurts to get ahead of the game. You will fall behind by having to take loans, which you will have to pay back, if you don't stay ahead of the game. Always sleep at night and don't get too strung up over relationships, you are happier being single! You're at an engineering school, so all freshmen are taking the exact same classes as you. You're not the only one struggling on homework or labs. You will procrastinate. You will hate yourself for it. You will continue to procrastinate anyways. Lastly, enjoy the best four years of your life!

Cheryl

I would reassure myself that college is the next step to grow as a person and that the School of Mines provides the knowlege and social life that I would like. I had many doubts and worries about school becuase of the cost and the loans that I had to take. Looking at that now, the knowlege I received was worth the loans and the hard work. I have made many good friends and would not have grown into a better person without them. I would reasure myself that i would make great friends and do well in school.

Now that I am into my first year at a very prestigious and academically tough university, I can see where I could have handled things differently in my past life. Coming from a small rural town, I had no dedicated math teacher, math teachers came and went, and we had to try glitchy online classes, which has hurt me greatly in my college calculus classes. My mom, a single parent, had no money to send me to the local college as some parents did but I could have put more effort into some summer online calculus classes that would have set me up better for this first year. I spent a lot of time working full time and ignoring my online summer class before I began college. I would also like to write a letter to the school board to let them know how I have struggled and where I think they can make changes so future graduates can have a better start to their college careers. If no one comes back to tell the school board what went wrong, how will they know? I cannot complain about what went wrong without coming up with possible solutions to their problems.

Riviera

I would articulate about how i needed to get my act together and get as many scholarships as possible, because school is highly expensive. I work two jobs now and a full time student, and if I ended up getting more scholarships i could just focus on my studys instead of focusing on the tuition fees and book fees. O meed to take care of my body more so i could physically work and do two jobs instead of being in constant pain thanks to never gaining more scholarships. Stress gets to people, and i would not have this much stress on me if i just sit down and apply for scholarships. I will struggle in life if i do not get my act together. My number one problem in high school was not realizing how important scholarships were, because now i am begging for them.

The biggest advice I would give myself would be to reach out and make a more diverse group of friends. I was the type of person who latched on to the first friends I found, and that didn't give me much diversity later on when those friendships fell apart. I would also remind myself to be my own person and not care what others think. When you find someone who loves you for who you are, no excuses, then you know you've found a true friend. Mostly though, I'd tell myself it's all going to be alright - even when you mess up and the transition is difficult, it all turns out okay, so don't stress.

Allow yourself to meet new people and remember that you do not have to do everything yourself. Study groups are a great benefit at college and you meet a lot of great people that way too. Seek out your professors and TAs when you need help. And remember, there is more to school than just studying. Take time to enjoy, learn new hobbies and help others. College is wonderful.

Apply earlier to college, take more time to study to get better grades.

Lyle

The advice that I would give my high school senior self is to either join a few clubs and/or a sport in college. I did not do either of those this year, and while I have enjoyed not having to worry about making practice for a club or a sport, I do miss swimming and having something to do. I would tell myself to join a club because they are fairly relaxed, yet there are so many on campus that I am bound to find one that will peak my interest. There are a few martial arts clubs and a Frisbee club, and I enjoy bot of those sports. I would encourage myself to join one of these clubs and be a part of it. I would also encourage my high school self to continue swimming after high school swimming finished and try to make the cuts for the Mines swim team. I didn’t want to do it because of the time commitments and I didn’t want my grades to fall, but after seeing the work load, I realized I would have been able to manage it.

Anayanssi

Dearest Anayanssi, I realize you are having a good time as a senior right now. You have heard countless times from teachers how important it is to schedule your time in order to finish all projects on time, be able to study sufficiently for the next exam, and still have time to spare for social activities and wind-down time. Right now you feel like such thing won’t be necessary in your case, which is why I'm happy I can catch up to you at this time. Advice is: meet your agenda! that ever-forgotten but faithful companion. Your agenda will be your most reliable friend now. If you never had to remind yourself due dates, college will be the time you take control of your time. No one will remind you when a paper is due, and if you keep this in mind, you will save yourself the fright. Time is in your hands girl. I know you will eventually find your way to independence by wisely managing your time, but I felt it was necessary to give you the heads up, so the transition will be a smoother one. Best of luck, Yourself

sherry

Attending college as an adult has had it's ups and downs . I 've had kids in my classes that graduated with my oldest son and some were still in highschool with my 17 year old daughter. But through it all I adjusted , I found my way around campus , learned how to use computers, and even made it on the deans list. The thing I would want to tell myself the most is; don't delay going back to school for 20 years, do it as soon as you graduate high school. There is no better time than when you are young to start down the path to your future. Attending college is powerfull and if you work hard you can recieve the education needed to fullfill your dreams. So finally strive for success , aim for the best education you can get and don't let anything get in your way of reaching your full potential.

Nathanael

I started taking classes at community college in my senior year. So in a way my senior year was like my first year of college. The best advice to myself would have been study hard rather then just doing good enough. I spent my senior year/first year of college doing just well enough to get by instead of doing my best. I can get by doing the minimal amount of work. But is that how I want to live my life? Just getting by? Not really. I plan to go into my next school year fully applying myself and doing my schoolwork to the best of my ability, rather then just going good enough to get by. Not everyone is blessed with a college as I am and I don't want to take it for granted!

I have come to realize my full potential as a student and a member of society. Not only have i learned so much in the field of engineering, but I have also learned how to be indepented and responsible for myself. Hard work and perserverance really does pay off in all aspects of life.

The past four months at Colorado School of Mines has been nothing less than valuable. My earlier years of high school were probably some of the worst times in my life. At school, I wasn't always the most confident kid, by any means. I always doubted myself in situations and at tasks that I could accomplish. These experiences have given me a better perspective. Being at CSM has supported living in the present, being my best self, not falling victim to what other people think, and to be in control of my own future. As I move forward and try my hand at independence, Colorado School of Mines has been valuable to attend because of the small enrollment and its intimate environment. One of the first steps of living in the present and becoming independent is making the decision of how to be in control of your future. I decided upon the path of engineering because of my interests with numbers and science. CSM supports my appreciation for these subjects and being around others with the same connections is extremely valuable. Confidence, independence, support, and an excellent academic rigor are traits I've received from my first semester.

Due to the difficulty of the Mines program, I have been able to handle in job I've been given over the years. I have been a geologist, taught middle school math and science, taught high school math and science including physics and AP calculus. I received my master's degree in natural science with a specialty in geology and environmental sciencce.

I've found that college has made me so much more dedicated to the things I know I should do, as well as the things that I love to do. By working so hard academically, I've found I've built up the stamina to work hard in other areas of my life as well. Its truely a great benefit to the people that rely on me to fulfill my duties.

My college experience has been very eye opening. It is vital to my success but it is also supposed to be one of the best times of my life, and due to this I am making it that way. I have found a lot of different hobbies since I've started attending school and they are starting to shape me. I have grown as a person in so many ways, including a new value system. Mines has an awesome way of accepting freshman and helping through there first and very tough semester. It has been valuable as I have learned an absolute ton about myself and my area of study. One of my proffessors described the first semester at Mines as an initiation ritual, in which they throw everything they can think of at you, and if you succeed you may just belong there. I think this describes my experience thus far.

College can be a life changing experience. By attending college, I have grown up, to sum it up. I have become more independent, I have learned to take responsibility for my actions and how to deal with adverse conditions. It's a good transition to adulthood. I've become more confident in my choices, and I've made friends with people I probably wouldn't've talked to in high school. I have learned a lot of different ways to save money, because everybody knows college kids don't have any money. In college I've learned that lack of communication skills is not an option. You've got to talk to your teachers, your teammates, your advisors, etc. Everyone who can should try to go to college. I learned so much in my first semester alone. College is an introduction to life outside high school and your parent's house. Most of the time its a wake up call, a time to ask yourself who you really want to be in life. Going to college has been a very valuable experience for me.

Colin

As my first semester of college comes to a close, I have attained a greater understanding of the importance of staying in college and obtaining a degree. When I talk to adults, I am congratulated on my acceptance to a selective institution, however the praise usually stops there. Adults understand that being accepted into a college is just the first step, and that continuing in college until graduation is the real challenge, with a degree the goal. This understainding was also come about by talking to older students, who have been where I am and have valuable advice. The concensus is, although the classes will only get more difficult the longer you stay, and your GPA is only prone to suffer rather than improve, do not give up, because once those four years are up, a life with a degree in hand is much more favorable than the alternative.

Kole

As I have just complete my 4th month of college I can truly say that it is beyond what I expected. It has made me realize that students who strive for advanced education obtain a wide range of personal, social, financial and other lifelong benefits that improve quality of life and overall well-being of our community. Passing on the importance of advanced education in each family and culture only helps future generations by giving them the skills necessary to achieve at a higher level. My college experience will help me build on the knowledge and skills acquired in earlier years. I look forward to engaging in organized volunteer work and civic participation so that I can give back to theicommunity that I live in. It is my goal to complete my college education and acquire the tools to learn to be open to differing views of others, better health and greater opportunities. In my opinion advanced education contributions to both the equity and the efficiency of our society and I look forward to giving back to my community. Education is a process that changes us and makes us better.

I have learned a great deal in my college experience. I have learned that even though sometimes the odds get stacked up against you, you should never quit. Also, you are in college for a reason, to better yourself and to learn. Always try to take something away from a class no matter how boring or uninterested you may be in the subject. Never sweat the small things and just keep plowing forward.

I have gotten the chance to grow up. I am now relying on myself to make myself go to class, do my own laundry, cook my own food and basically fend for myself. I am getting the college wrestling experience along with the difficulty of college classes. I have became more of an adult by being on my own. I can't rely on anyone else because I am nine hours away from home. It has been valuable for me to attend this school because it is teaching me the ways of life. High school was easy, college is a whole new world. I have realized that they do not give any slack or help you if you do not ask. If you need/want something you have to do it or get help. I'm learning to askfor help when needed instead of just trying to spend hour and still not learn the material. Knowing that when I graduate I will have a job, only incourages me more. In this case I will strive for everything I want to pursue and earn everything I get. There are no free lunches.

Conrad

I have learned how to solve life problems on my own. I have found that you don't have to know everything, you just need to know where to find the answers. Persevering is an everyday occurrencing in engineering. Knowledge is a good part of life but patience with one's self is a struggle. This school shows me what it will be like against all of the great mines in the world and it prepares me for any challenges in the future. If I can compete at this school, I should have no problems competing in the world. I just need to find the money to stay focused on my studies.

Marisse

Growing up to become a high school senior was exhausting, so my senior year was not the year I tried my hardest. That was the first mistake. If I could give myself advice before I went to college, it would be that college is not a playground. College is not senior year. You'll have to build yourself back up to the top if you start to slack off, so why make your life that much harder? College is fun, and it's a great experience but you have to work in order to be content with the lifestyle. If you become lazy, your grades will reflect it and no one will be there to keep pushing you, to motivate you to do better. So keep a good constant work ethic during high school so that going to college is not so much of a shock to you as it would be if you start to procrastinate and be lazy during senior year.

Daryl

Live, Laugh, Love. Three simple words that have been overprinted and commercialized almost to the point of clich?. Yet, a parcel of truth shines through the alliteration and simplicity. It is a reminder of what life should be about, for any college student, adult, or even myself as a high school senior. Life is precious gift that should be enjoyed to its fullest; to what extent it is enjoyed is up to only one person. Fight to make your life what you want, not what others want. Laugh at yourself when you make mistakes, laugh at the world when it tries to bring you down, and laugh with friends to drown your sorrow. The last of the three is possibly the most important: love. Love what you do and follow your passions. Love your friends and family, for it is a lonely existence without them. Love yourself. Be confident in who you are and what you want out of life. Senior year of high school was a time of change, full of stress and worry. These three simple words of advice put the focus on what truly matters in life: live, laugh, and love.

Maximillian

If I could go back, I would let myself know that college isn't anything to be worried about. Everything is amazing and I'd like to let myself know that even though it's an amazing experience, and I'll be making lifelong friends, it still takes hard work to be successful at this school. If I could go back, I would insist that I go to this college and I wouldn't tell myself to do anything different.

I would tell myself to do more things in high school becuase you can't get those back. I would also tell myself not to worry about what people think of you because I don't see those people anymore. I would've told myself to work harder on getting scholarships, becuase college is expensive!! I play division two college softball now so I would tell my high school self to practice hard everyday and work to perfect every aspect of my game because it only got harder and if I had already been used to working this hard. Lastly, when I got to college I had a really hard time because I missed my family. I feel like if I would've gone out more during the summer instead of hanging onto every second I had with them the transition would've been a little bit easier. But everybody misses their family to some degree so I would tell myself not to be ashamed when I do miss them. i

Dear Caitlin, You may be wondering who this is and why I?m writing this letter. Well, I?m you. But I am in college right now. What? You don?t believe me? I guess that means I?ll have to prove it to you. I know that you have that small jewelry box hidden in a drawer waiting for you to send it, but you haven?t had the courage. So now that you know it?s me, I have two important tips to give you based on my experiences. Making the transition between living at home and going to high school to living in the dorms and going to college is a rough one. You really struggle with this but don?t worry; you make it through just fine. As long as you stay strong, be active, and meet new people, everything will go smoothly. Most importantly, open up with Mom and Dad. You don?t have to go through everything alone; they really have great advice on more than just school and money. Open up little by little and you?ll find that they are very helpful. Good luck! You'll do great! Sincerely, The Future You

Mykal

I would tell myself not to stress out so much about college and the treansition. I'd talk about all the great new friends he'd make when he got here, and how he would do well in his first semseter here. I would advise more study time. but that would be the only big advice I would have to give.

Shawn

Deffinately take advanced placement classes. The credits may not count but the education is worth it.

Apply to Mines now. Don't worry about the money. Community college will save you money, but life at Mines is better.

Mo

Dear High School Senior Mo, Don't worry so much about going to college! It's going to be amazing! You are making the right choice and you should stand behind it. Take your time in this last year of high school, it will be your best one and you will be able to look back on it during rough times in the next four to five years. Your first semester at Mines will be tough, and after dealing with a death in the family, you will be able to come back and make a full recovery, I promise you that. Now, a full recovery doesn't mean mostly A's like you are used to in high school, so don't be afraid of getting a C for after all, "C's get degrees!" as you have been told. Again, worrying gets you nowhere and that will stay true for the rest of your life. Be flexible and open yourself up to new opportunities so you can follow your dream of saving the world one tree at a time. Mines can help it happen. Work hard. Play hard. And say hi to the boys for me. Sincerely, Future Mo

My advice would be to take no class for granted. When I became certain I was attending a strictly engineering school, its seemed all the english and history classes would become unimportant. However, while the focus was definitely on math and science, all the history and english continually tied in. In one class, I relied heavily on my knowledge from human geography, which I had taken mainly for a GPA booster, and my writing skill developed in my english classes. While I did not blow these classes off, I never imagined using them the first semester of school. It was these very skills that I used in order to create a multidimensional project that ended up winning several awards. Overall, the value of being well rounded academically and pushing myself even in those subjects outside of my interest created larger opportunity for success. While classes can be taken strictly for the grade, I would tell my high school senior self that it is learning and integrating the information that will pay off in the long run. If I learn to handle the information and use the information, the grade and the learning will take care of itself.

No matter what you may be feeling push through it. All this work will be entirely worth the experience once you graduate. Be strong when you are unsure and use every resource you can. The time you spend will help you grow and develop into a career oriented person that can do anything in the world.

Traveling back to Arapahoe High School to visit myself as a high school senior is an enlightening experience. I would tell myself college is everything I thought it would be and more. The Colorado School of Mines is the best choice over other schools I applied to because I fit into the atmosphere of this college. I would tell myself not to be afraid to take chances, there are so many things worth taking a chance on in life. I would advise myself not to get so mad at my parents because they only want the best for me and the freedom of college will make everything worth while. I couldn't explain in words how I have matured, I would tell myself that I have the gift of happiness and to not second guess myself so much. I can achieve anything I put my mind to and that was apparent in my first semester of college. I would tell myself to study a little bit more for Chemistry and hang out with the group of Rugby guys more because they are a good group to be around. So spread your wings and fly yourself to your goals and ambitions!

Life is a series of steps. When young, these steps are the literal steps taken to walk. Then, you're off to school taking steps through grades until you graduate high school. Some steps are bigger than others; the step from middle to high school is more of a leap. College is another one of these leaps. Yes, you will be scared. Yes, you will be insecure. Yes, you will doubt yourself. But know that college should be taken as just another step. Sometimes you will need to take steps as small as possible; just getting through the week can seem like a struggle. But even small steps will lead to great things. You contain everything inside yourself at this moment to do great, amazing things. You will feel lonely at first, but take it a day at a time and don't forget that you are loved and your support network back home will never leave you. Don't be afraid to ask for help; you don't learn anything by pretending to know everything. Know that you can and will accomplish wonderful things in college and accept that everything starts with baby steps.

Anastasia

Some advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would be to spend more time applying for scholarships. College is expensive so the scholarships would be very useful to help lower the cost even a little. If I applied for a few more scholarships, I might have been able to earn more money to pay for school. Another thing I would tell myself is to not worry so much about the academics. School does get harder but it is not as bad as everyone made it seem. I would also tell myself that I should start working on my study habits and on learning how to study. Studying will become important in college.

Bryce

I would advise you not to worry. Senior year is indeed a year of major choices that will affect your future; however, if you just spend time measuring the pros and cons of each decision, you will make the right decision. In other words, if you are worried you might make ?the wrong decision" and that it might change your life for the worse, you have already avoided making ?the wrong decision.? Also, this is your last year of high school ever. I know you already realize this, but knowing this and acting upon it are very different?make sure you live as if it is so. Don't take this for granted and enjoy high school while you can. Finally, always remember that everything happens for a reason; the best you can do is to accept what life gives you and live with it as best you can. This is not to say that you can?t change things, just that when bad things happen you need to be willing to accept that they happen and that you will have to deal with them. If you do your best and live your best, things will turn out alright.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life, I?d first say not to worry so much. The people here are nice and accepting and if your open from the beginning then you?ll make friends easily. Also your future roommates are very easy to get along with and they?ll care about you enough to annoy you. I?d also tell myself, there isn?t much diversity and there aren?t many girls but that is what makes the school unique. The most important thing I?d tell myself is to study as hard and as much as you can to pass classes, this school is not to be taken lightly. The last thing I?d tell myself was to stop crying and apply for scholarships through out the senior year of high school or you?ll regret it later on. It isn?t fun to cry over something that could have been fixed before hand.

I would listen to my parents since the both went to college and would also study more on my college prep classes. I would also relax more and not worry so much about what other people think because there is so much more to the world.

College isn't easy and don't approach it unprepared. Read in the school itself and find out what classes are avaliable to take. College classes need a lot more attention than high school classes ever did, so study hard. I would have to say, be open and ready to take on anything that comes your way. Making friends is a must so don't be afraid to go around and meet new people; every person met could turn into a life long friend. Definitely go to social events and don't think others are below you or on a different level. Finally journey away from your comfort zone and don't be afraid to put yourself in the spot light. Don't be afraid to grow up either, live life as it comes but prepare yourself for the worst.

Channel

Make sure to take all college and AP classes having to do with math, science, and physics. I would tell myself also to change schools in high school and begin to think about the future, not the friends I will lose. This is because I took college courses in literature, history, and english. Also, my school didn't have any real engineering based programs. If I took college courses in these topics, my comprehension of math, physics, and science would have made it easier my first semester.

I would tell myself to do more research on careers. I would tell myself to talk to professionals in the field and find out what I was truly passionate about before commiting to a college. I would encourage myself to apply for more scholarships. I would point out the importance of developing strong work habits and not waiting towards the last minute to start working. It would go like this... High school was a cake walk. In college a person has to motivate themselves, no one is going to breathe down your neck to tell you to get work done. College is expensive and its not going to seem like a good investment while your still going. Even if you are talented at something, you wont truly be good at it untill you enjoy it. 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of college isnt learning your matterial, but learning how to teach yourself for a lifetime and how to find motivation when you have none. College is learning not to procrastinate, how to use time wisely and make life a constant renewing of the mind.

Bree

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would probably be more concerned with how I managed it rather than trying to prepair myself for college. Regardless, the largest issue I encountered that I would try to prevent is how shocked I was at how unprepaired I was for this school. The programs I went through in high school were not college level and the knowlege I was held accountable was not neccisarily required by my high school in order to graduate. I would suggest going above and beyond what is neccisary in high school in order to be that much more ahead in college. The transition itself was remarkably simple. During move in, the school keeps you so busy you don't have time to be homesick, then when things calm down, classes are just getting interesting. Before long, its been a semester and you can't emagine life elsewhere.

Jeremiah

I would tell myself to be ready to study my butt off, espicially for math. I would tell myself not to be shy, and if the situation arises, don't be afraid to ask for help; and make friends as soon as possible. Give it 110 percent, else you will fail. Having friends within classes to contact is of the utmost impartance. I would also say that having a good time is part of the equation. Finding a good way to blow off steam is a neccesity. Learn to balance out your life; time management is a must. I would say to never give up hope even when times are dire, and the future looks bleak. I would also tell myself that even if you can't afford to keep paying for your tuition, keep going to school. Where there is a will, there is a way.