Colorado State University-Fort Collins Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Leo

I think one stereotype is that the students here are freindly and so far they have been.

I don't know, I haven't started yet.

Gabriel

Full of Energy

CSU is a diverse university where you could find many different types of students.

Weird farm kids who grew up in small towns and raised chickens and goats. Its not really that accurate. There is a really diverse population of kids here from all places.

Colorado State University has a reputation for balance, partying but paying attention to school, too. Overall the environment is very relaxed and friendly, and I think CSU students uphold their good reputation.

Colorado State University can sometimes be stereotyped as having a lot of "hippies" or "stoners." However, this label is exactly that-- a stereotype. While there are students who take part in illegal activity, there are also many who refrain from it. CSU has an incredibly diverse student body, so to label the entire school as "hippies" or "stoners" would be inaccurate.

Many people think Colorado State is full of Equine Science majors and that the students are "hillbillies" compared to the Boulder students. This is not true at all! The students at CSU come from a diversity of backgrounds and interests around campus. CSU provides plenty of degrees to choose from, and there are all sorts of organizations for any interest.

Nikki

CSU may have a stereotype of a lot of students coming from agriculture backgrounds or looking to go to vet school. There are many wonderful majors in the college of agriculture and we have one of the top vet schools in the country, but there is so much diversity on campus that this stereotype is not true at all. There are all types at CSU and a club or an organization for a person with any interest.

The stereotypical student at Colorado State University is active and loves to be outdoors. This stereotype is true to an extent and there are a lot of people who are active, but there are also people who are not as active and express different interests and hobbies.

Nehemias

There's a large mix of groups like any college

A common stereotype of students at Colorado State University is that we're all "farm" kids that grew up with cows and horses. That's just not true!

A common stereotype of students at Colorado State University is that we're all "farm" kids that grew up with cows and horses. This stereotype is not accurate! The vast majority of people that go to CSU grew up in all sorts of places. Granted, because CSU is an agricultural school, there are a lot of students here that grew up on farms but that's only a portion of the student body.

Krista

Most people assume that all Rammies LOVE the snow and engage in winter sports all the time. To kids from other schools, we arrive to class on skis and lectures take place at the bottom of the mountain! This stereotype is inaccurate; while we are located right near some prime slopes, not all of us hang around in the snow. Just like at every school. we have a mix of kids who detest the weather and those who embrace it fully (with snowboards in hand!).

Just like in high school, college has its cliques and stereotypes. Colorado State University is a great school in the sense that the majority of its students are open-minded and welcoming. The main stereotypes would be the "frat boys", "sorority girls" and the "hippies".

I know all schools usually have some stereotype, but honestly I didn't ever here one stand out stereotype for CSU students. I feel like we have a little bit of everything (greek kids, jocks, outdoorsy, party kids) that it's hard to label CSU with just one of those!

Hillary

A lot of people think of CSU as a vet school. Although it is one of the top vet schools in the country, this stereotype is definitely not true, there is SO much more to CSU.

Colton

CSU is stereotyped as a state school where all kids do is party. There certainly is partying that goes on, but there are very few people giving all college students a bad rep. I have met tons of people who have no interest in partying at all, and have found a very comfortable atmosphere at CSU away from the party scene. Fraternity life can get a little rowdy like the stereotypes portray, but not to the extent you see in movies and in the media. Overall, the CSU fraternities are respectable.

There is a large range of students that go to CSU. We have a large Greek life and you will see many students sporting their greek letter. We also have a big agricultural program so there are a lot of country people wearing their cowboy boots and hats. You will also run into a lot of religious people that will stop and try to ask you questions of your beliefs but it is totally optional to talk to them. Finally we have a pretty good exchange program so there will be a few foreign exchange students.

Kendall

The two main stereotypes that everyone hears about for Colorado State University are everyone is a partier and everyone is all about nature. Both of these things are not true. Colorado State University is a school of about 25,000 students. Therefore, it makes sense there would be a lot of parties. However, this school in no way compares to a "party school". There are so many fun activities to do in this town that do not include parties! Mostly, you hear about those events. Also, CSU sponsors a lot of creative events for students. You may have a few months ago about the Ram's Pointe party that had people arrested and in the hospital. This by no means is a normal occurence for CSU. Most of the students even thought the party to be ridiculous. Also, you do not have to love hiking or bike riding to want to go to school here. Yes, a lot of people do bike to school because it saves on gas and if you live close to campus, it is easy. However, there are other kinds of transportation like the bus and you can easily get to campus with a car. In all honesty, hiking is not discussed too much around here. Yes, there are plenty of opportunities to do it but a good amount of students would rather walk around Old Town and explore shops.