Columbia College Chicago Top Questions

Describe the dorms.

Heath

The dorms are probably one of the best parts of Columbia, but in some ways, also the most annoying. The quality of dorm life is fantastic. You are more likely to get a single bedroom in an apartment, and even if you don't, you're in an apartment with a living room and all that. I haven't had to live in the same bedroom with anyone yet, though I have heard plenty of horror stories about it, but this is mainly the people, not the dorms. If you get an apartment (most of the resident buildings have apartments) then you get a living room, full kitchen (sometimes even a dishwasher!) and the buildings are overall nicely designed and furnished. The bad part is that the dorms are a total rip off. It is a COMPLETE ROBBERY to live on campus when you compare similar living conditions and costs off-campus. Many students don't stay in the dorms more than a couple of years, it's just too damn expensive, and you can save soooo much money living off-campus with a few roommates, usually people you get to choose!

Linley

Average. But cleaner than most. Best thing is that they have activities to engage its residents

The dorms are way better than the average college dorm. They have plenty of space so you aren't cramped with your roommate. The apartments in the UC (University Center) were pretty amazing. Each person has their own room with a door and for 4 people there are 2 bathrooms. The suites in the UC have 2 big rooms with 2 people in each of them. The rooms are connected by a bathroom which 4 people share. I like my personal space so I wasn't a fan of the suite. I would have preferred the apartments so I could have had my own room.