Columbia College Chicago Top Questions

What are your classes like?

Heath

The classes in whatever programming your in will probably be exciting and rigorous. You might occasionally get a bad teacher in your program, but I feel like that's the same for every college. Gen ed courses on the other hand are pretty bad in my experience. Columbia seems to like skimping out when it comes to teachers. This means that a lot of gen ed teachers are just not good teachers, and sometime the same for program classes. I have had some good teachers in gen ed courses but whether they're good or bad, they all seem to bend down to the students. The reason being that a majority of the students here are frankly pretty dumb. They don't care about academics, only their art, which is very annoying when you're someone who actually likes to learn. These slackers drag the classes down with them, making what sounds like interesting courses (philosophy in film; science technology and society, etc) total jokes and completely boring. I am very frustrated by the near middle school standards of academic work required by teachers here.

Brennan

i've been having a difficult time staying motivated this semester but taking with my teachers & just being really open with them has really helped me. also seeking opportunities to learn outside of school, going to artsits/designer talks & meeting with people who are uplifting & remind me of why i am in school studying industrial design.