Columbia College Chicago Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Columbia College Chicago

Adison

Please do not waste your time and read all the fine print. They care about wallets and pushing a biased agenda, nothing more, nothing less. Professors are less than adequate due to Columbia turning them over non stop and most faculty are prior students who are not experts in their fields. They actually have a comedian studies student in their admissions department, that's not a joke. Anytime you seek financial aid they tell you to take out more private loans if possible and nothing more. They also hold your official transcripts until your balance is paid which is insane in this economy. Avoid this school. They probably wont stay accredited for long.

Hadiatu

I personally love Columbia. Like any other schools, it definitely has it's faults but overall it is a great place to grow and learn. Columbia is the type of school where you must take control over your own education as no one will be holding your hand. however, use the resources provide to you and you should be more than fine. My only qualm with Columbia has to be the lack of scholarship opportunities and the diversity among the scholarship requirements. You really have to search to find money for the already expensive school and then hope you're chosen for the award money. That aside, I have loved my experience here and wouldn't have traded it for any other school.

Krystal

I really enjoy the school and the school community. The campus does a phenomenal job when it comes to safety and student needs. The dorm facilities are clean and up to date, the on-site cafeteria provides lots of fun food options, and the classes are relevant and informative.

Ana Gabriela

I love it! love the people, the overall feel is just so welcoming. And the teachers are great and fair.

Ana

No Greek life which a lot of people are happy with, but I wish we had it. Sports isn't a big deal, which sucks because I am a huge sports fan. Columbia has a bad habit of charging you all these service fees but they don't tell you what those fees cover and what resources are available to you for free. It's a typical art school.

Gina

I've had a phenomenal experience at Columbia College Chicago. There have been a few professors who haven't been that great, but overall, I've really enjoyed all of the courses I've taken. I've learned a lot in and outside of the classroom at various school events and through various school organizations. I've also been introduced to a lot of amazing, hard-working, and inspiring peers through Columbia.

Genna

Columbia is a good film school. It also provides a solid general education and free activities like film screenings and the workroom. The faculty are experienced in their fields. I also really appreciate that we can take classes in our fields right away. However, the school is expensive and can be pretty unorganized. Also the administrators can be pretty secretive and selective about what they tell the students, but the teachers are quality.

Gianna

Columbia College has has a wide range of majors which is nice in case you find out you are more passion about a different ascot of your field or even a different field. We are encouraged to try different classes as well. However since there are so many major some of them that aren't as focused on as others. The department I am in for example just finally got it's own degree instead of being lumped with film. Also we aren't allowed to use the resources of other department. Like you can only check out cameras if you are a photography student, regardless if you need it for a class. That's the major downside. However over its a good place. The students and staff are very open and will to talk with people no matter where you are form or who you are.

Cristian

Through combining art, science, and academics Columbia College Chicago fosters the creative potential of its students within residence halls that are just as creative as the students residing in them, centered in the heart of Chicago's loop.

Lanihya

I love going to an arts school and the campus downtown is really cool, but there are some faculty that are not as welcoming and most of the programs advertised are not as grand as they seem. Plus its really expensive but you really get to learn about different topics you wouldn't find at other schools.

Zoe

Expensive, but there's access to fantastic equipment and opportunities. The teachers are great, but the administration sometimes cares more about money than the needs of the actual students. I wouldn't pay this much money for easy, so don't slack off. Take advantage of Columbia's opportunities and work really hard and going to this college pays off.

Kassandra

Overall, Columbia College Chicago is a great school if you want to exposed to your area of interest immediately. You are given instructors who are in the working field that they are teaching so you have an insight of what to expect and the reality of the work world. It's a great school to meet people to network with and also it's in CHICAGO! It's the best place to gain some of the greatest opportunities.

Lincoln

I have genuinely enjoyed my time at Columbia so far. I have made several friends, I like my roommates, and I have learned useful things that I think will help me with my job in the future. I enjoy the atmosphere at Columbia. The classes are small and your teachers will all know your name, which is something that I enjoy. Everyone is very nice, and if they aren't then there are other people who will be nice to you. There is plenty to do within the school community and outside of it. The school will give you the resources you need to succeed, but you need to use them. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need. If you don't ask, you will not receive. Overall I would recommend this school, but I am aware that not everyone is like me.

Hailey

This is the perfect school for artsy folk to find their crowd. The school encourages uniqueness and finding yourself. Without greek life or sports some may thing the campus is boring, however any day of the week you can find something fun to do on campus, just look at the posters plastered on the campus building walls!

I was once asked what an inconvenience store would sell, and my response was "Columbia College Chicago merchandise". Most of the teachers were adjunct, and none of them made enough to care about the students. The professors that were passionate about their field were often fired, simply not present in enough of the majors, or too interested in selling their own books and bragging about their accomplishments. The campus never had a lot of extracurricular activities going on, the students were always high, and I found it very difficult to make friends. Professors focused on getting students to compete with one another rather than collaborating, which was supposed to be the goal of the cohort. The school cut classes and completely changed around many majors halfway through my time there, which completely damaged some students' educational paths. Columbia even bought the debt of another school halfway through my time there and guaranteed them a tuition rate they would never consider offering their own students, who had to deal with crushing tuition raises every year. I honestly wish I had dropped out before acquiring too many credits, although it would not have mattered because almost none of Columbia's classes transfer to other colleges. Instead of believing the lie that I would be guaranteed a job after graduation because "employers love Columbia grads", I wish I had been shown the reality that Columbia does not prepare students to compete for careers in competitive art fields. I don't know anyone in my cohort who got a job related to their studies after graduation, and I consider my diploma to be nothing but an incredibly expensive receipt. I am glad to have the degree because it allowed me to apply for the graduate degree that will lead to my dream job, but I would give this school less than one star if I could.

Mikayla

Columbia College is an amazing college and I am extremely happy that I chose to attend. I feel as though I have improved immensely as an artist since I have started here and it's all thanks to the professors who are constantly encouraging and challenging me. Columbia has also already provided me with so many opportunities and I don't think I will have a problem getting into a career I want to be in by the time I graduate.

Hadley

The interesting thing is that Columbia College Chicago is vastly different depending on your department. I'm studying cinematography and I think it's the best program in the country for it. There is a lot I wish was better in terms of organization and access, and I don't have anywhere near enough financial aid from the school to help with the continually raising tuition. I think it's a good school overall, but they're kind of lost, and frequently changing leadership and administration positions keep it from finding a foothold.

Jerikah

I love Columbia. I am very happy here, but only because I am applying myself. Our drop out rate is high (many of my friends aren't coming back next semester) because Columbia is very much a survival-of-the-fittest environment. If you don't seek what you want, you won't get it. We also don't have a campus, really, so there is absolutely nowhere to go to meet people. We don't have a student center or anything, which makes it hard to make friends, another reason people drop out after their first year. I love my department but I also know that other departments aren't as accommodating or fun. Columbia is all concerned about money and image, and not as concerned with the safety and well being of its students.

Arianna

Great Location and Awesome Academic Buildings. The professors are all involved in their areas of expertise and have many contacts for students. There is a lot to get out of Columbia.

Taressa

It's everything you expect out of an art school

Jamie

My overall rating of Columbia College-Chicago is that they need art instructors who help guide the students to better their art in the direction that the student wants to work in. And they need to be open to students who do not want to make art for galleries, but rather are interested in making it to sell to business and people, to hang on their walls. I think that they also need to understand that some students are not interested in making art that is bloody, political, and sexual.

brittany

I thinks that this college looks pretty awesome. I cant wait to go here in 2019 when i graduate high school. From looking at the web site and the pictures of Columbia college which looks nice.Its has everything i want to be in and do for living.I thinks you guys are awesome and i cant wait to come here in the future.

Angelica

I enjoy going to this school. I have had a great experience so far throughout my first year as the teachers have been very helpful and I feel like I am learning a lot. There are many clubs and activities for students to join which can be helpful for people to make friends with fellow students. Overall, I am excited to go back in the fall this year and continue studying for my major.

Donnicia

Columbia college is a school that I very much enjoy the learning is very hands on and the teachers take their time and actually seem to love what they’re doing the other students also are very welcoming . I hope to someday be apply to call myself a graduate of this school

Nisshoken

Overall Columbia College Chicago is a nice college for the art students. The only complaint I woud have to make is the campus-life. I have multiple problems with the space I'm living in whether it's the dish washer, bathroom door, or cabinets. I also have had roommate issues that were not taken care of a while. Other than that, academically, Columbia is a great resource for that department.

Josiah

Columbia is a school that accepts you with flaws included, both as a person and as an artist. The school gradually guides you down the path to becoming whoever it is you want to be as long as you are willing to do the work along the way. You may find the equipment too hard to comprehend at first glance, but getting out of your comfort zone is what Columbia is all about. Students as well as teachers are usually more than happy to help you out with challenges that you may not be able to overcome alone. If you're worried about making friends, being good enough, or taking risks, don't be. Columbia is full of people that come from all over and possess different strengths and weaknesses, work together and don't be scared to take a risk and try something new here!

Aleah

The college itself has great opportunities to be sought out, but extremely stressful situations come in a package deal with this school. For example, on-campus housing is a heavy load. Of course a somewhat expensive total for housing is to be expected, but the housing that is provided is completely overpriced. Plymouth Court (the premier housing for freshmen) is the cheapest housing option, yet the students still have to pay for clothes washing. Other housing options are good on paper, but end up being difficult to live in after a while. Another main problem is tuition at the school. Tuition at Columbia College is ridiculous. It raises every single year and I am already behind in the amount of money I owe to loan providers. I just finished my freshman year mind you. It seems as if colleges nowadays are creating a double standard for the young people going to college now. It seems as if the students cannot enjoy their college experience, because all the while they are obsessing over not having enough money to attend. It's a double standard because the times when other went to college was filled with experience and fun times. Of course it was stressful, but for completely different reasons. College attendees such as myself, are stressed beyond belief. We cry ourselves to sleep every single night because we don't know how we are going to make it in the world. The pressure of the future created a never ending rain cloud mentality and we are suffering because of the effects of past societal decisions. Columbia College Chicago clearly embodies that very same stress and pressure that students today are afraid of.

Kaliyah

Columbia College-Chicago is overall a great school. However, the experience people get from the school changes from person to person. That being the case, I would say that the vast majority of students are happy with Columbia. The school can't say that they are going to get you a job, but they try hard at making sure they teach you the skills so you can go out into the real world. Don't rely on Columbia to give you all the knowledge and skills. The world of art is very different from traditional college. Artists have to learn to be self-taught and self-motivated. Do not make what you learn in class all that you learn. Columbia is one of the many teaching tools that will aid your journey.

Adriana

Columbia is a great school for anyone looking for a liberal arts education with an emphasis on the arts. The campus is emerged in the city, specifically the South Loop, you can never get bored or hungry with all that this neighborhood has to offer. The student body at Columbia is diverse, and there are many unique clubs and activities to be apart of. Overall it is a great school for anyone looking for a forward thinking, solid education.

Jaelyn

Columbia is a beautiful campus and environment for the creative student. Based on its location there are infinite possibilities for fun and networking and making the connection to build your career. The professors and staff are invested in your growth at the school and want to see you succeed and graduate.

Simon

Overall, Columbia College Chicago is a great school for creatives. The endless opportunities for collaboration with other students is definitely one of the best perks of this college. Also, you have access to professional style equipment to make beautiful art.

Sakyrah

Columbia College Chicago is a great college to attend. It is perfect fore those students who didn't want o attend a typical university. The diversity of this campus is beautiful. Everyone that attends this school is creative in their own unique way. It allows students from all over the world to join together and hare their artistic abilities.

Giselle

Columbia provides an exciting art experience for those truly interested in the field. I can only speak for the film department, but this department is from what I’ve seen, very committed to giving students a real in field experience. The classes focus more on projects instead of tests and you start taking the classes from your field right away the first semester.

Marcus

I really like it at Columbia, It's a great fit for me because no matter where I go on campus everyone is supportive. I never feel like an outsider because there's always that one person who's into the same stuff as you. I'm learning so much from the teachers and they are always willing to give me advice on how I can improve so I can graduate on time. I feel like at Columbia I'm on the right path to reaching my goals. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.

Gabriella

This is one of the worst schools you could possibly go to. The students are the bottom of the barrel because they accept everyone that applies, and the administration is really bad. The school is too expensive for just an okay education. The only good thing is the professors but even then their are very few good ones. If you are not a 100% liberal this is not the school for you.

Brooke

Columbia College Chicago is a good school for those looking to go into a more artistic field. The priorities lay in the arts, with lots of opportunities for students who want to professionally go into the art world, whether that be theater, film, fine arts or more.

Tia

I love it! The curriculum is to easy yet challenging. I love the atmosphere and positivity. The advising is phenomenal and Though it is expensive they have the most up to date textbooks, classes and online service regarding schedules, Fafsa, etc. Ie, Columbia has an online chat line for course help which is extremely useful.

Emma

The professors at Columbia are exceptional, and most of my classes are quite interesting due to that. I would recommend offcampus housing over on campus. I do not know how the other advisors are, but my advisor was more than helpful and incredibly encouraging. The disability services were pretty accommodating, as well.

Isaiah

I love the friendly atmosphere the exudes from the students and the faculty and city that sucks me into nothing but ultimate happiness. I also love the opportunity that gets me super involved in my city life and i love that fact that we are strongly encouraged to be involved

Columbia has change over the course of time that I’ve been there. They need to reconnect to diversity training and resources. They have not hired a new lgbt office coordinator since the last two resigned, and there is a need for more diverse student resources. Overall it’s a very artistic school.

Kylie

Columbia College Chicago is a wonderful place for creative people. You get tons of opportunities to work on your craft in and out of class and learn and sharpen your abilities. The living aspect is not the best- there is no real campus feel being in the center of the city and at times it can feel very dangerous because of that as well. It is difficult to meet people because not many social gatherings occur and there is a lack of community feel. Creatively and education wise, Columbia is a great school with a good education, but if you're looking for the classic college experience, it is not that. You are very independent and self-reliant right of the bat and that is either positive or negative depending on your living style and preferences. Overall, a good school, but definitely not for everyone.

J

It is a great experience for making connections and networking. As a film student the resources I have are fair. However the tuition is incredibly high and it seems like the money students pay isn't worth it. Overall It's a great but It may not be the school I'll graduate from.

I love it! This school fits me like a glove and I can't imagine being anywhere else. Columbia's motto is "Live What you Love" and it's so true. I am doing more than obtaining a degree here. I am learning to live my passion. At this school you have opportunity to connect with other arts students and help one another with projects. I have participated in the projects of the directing students as an actress and therefore am gaining valuable practical knowledge and experience in my field. In turn, I have assisted my photography major friend by acting as her model! The professors are actual professionals in their fields and therefore they can truly mentor you in the right direction to meet your goals. The school is nestled in the fantastic south loop of Chicago close to major arts, theatrical and tourist attractions such as the Art Institute of Chicago, Navy Pier an of course beautiful Lake Michigan. However if you are into college sports and the Greek life this school is not for you. We focus on the arts and our careers but there are lots of fun groups to join and no better place to experience college life than the historic city of Chicago!

Fernando

I think it's great.

Logan

Nice! Could use updated equipment for classes. Also, could use a major for students who want to be film actors. This is a huge campus with no dining hall/food supply. It should be equipment for accessible for students and their projects. There should be an office and budget for student organizations on campus.

Daniel

I am enjoying the program, and constantly giving and receiving feedback and more knowledge through conversations with my peers, students are very passionate about what they do. Professors are very knowledgeable and know how to teach, I have enjoyed every single course I have taken at Columbia so far. unfortunately due to it's location there are some security issued, they are however external to the college.

Estefany

I honestly am in love with CCC. It’s a great school with a lot of resources and great classes. Our professors also work in the fields they teach at their current time of teaching which is why a majority of them are part-time. It’s a very expensive school, that’s no joke but it’s worth the price. Like I said before, there are a lot of resources, you just have to be willing to go out there and see what they have. This is also a school where you get out what you put in so if you so that you are truly passionate about your major and/or minor and that you’re willing to do the hard work and whatever it takes to succeed, then that's the type of experience you're going to have. But if you’re wanting a school where you can just breeze by and just party and whatnot, you’re not going to make it. Columbia is a really great school with a lot of great opportunities for students that are willing to go out there and show what they got.

Jackson

The school itself is overpriced for what you are receiving. Every year the heads raise the price by more and more yet take away more of what we need to learn. I feel shafted at the education I am receiving for the price I have to pay. With that said, the teachers are mostly dedicated and great. They will always hear what you have to say and sometimes even give you their personal numbers to contact.

Breiona

Columbia College Chicago is an immensely artistic school. Their endless expression, various ways of expressing and love of making their individual voices louder is amazing. But for the cost? Not at all. CCC has a way of creating expenses without giving you a reason to where everything is going and why. They often charge you for something you never asked for and make shattered promises of getting back to you on it. Even the college's president (not the student) tiptoes around solidified answers to the institute's unreasonable fees at half-hour "Open Discussion with the President" events. Issues such as: an increase in students' tuitions, decrease in staff payments, and an unidentified (also never asked for) building where all these mysterious funds are coming from. Nevertheless, Columbia College Chicago does supply its students with great opportunities. The atmosphere itself can be nice (although a little racially biased among their students). Once a similar view in the love and passion for art is seen within others, the barriers such as race and social class begins to break. Issues such as those as well aren't addressed at the school but community events are mere solutions. Columbia College Chicago has its perks and pushes. Many of which are spoken of within campus without concrete solutions. CCC can come off as a welcoming community, but without art and its opportunities, there is really no telling how this school wouldn't fall apart.

Tatiana

Cons: On campus housing is expensive. Tuition is expensive. Doesn't offer a lot of scholarships. Really want to budget your money. Pick up a part time job if you have to. Be prepared ahead of time with finances. Pros: Definitely prepares you for the industry you want to go in. Nothing is sugar coated. The teachers are very much into helping and offering on and off-campus resources so you can succeed (at least the teachers I've had). Meal plan is valuable if you don't feel like cooking, but you also don't want to spend your money.