Columbia College-Columbia, MO Top Questions

Anthony

If I could give my high school self any advice it would be to be sure to be present in the moment, enjoy that moment, and take a more zen approach to college in general. Too much planning can reduce ones ability to be present in the moment just as too much dwelling on the past can. I would tell myself that college is not about perfection but about the ability to adapt appropriately and come out of challenges improved. Enjoying the process would likely be the main point of my conversation with myself. I would stress that college will be one of the last times where I can focus only on being a student without any potential distractions such as career, children, etc.. Another important thing for my past self to know would be to be comfortable being yourself. Pretending to be someone else is too much additional unnecessary work and it is often seen through. Lastly, I would tell my past self to utilize every resource available and never be afraid to ask questions. You will never know until you ask has never been more true than when one enters college for the first time.

Jennie

Start out by taking class at a communitiy college. Just the basic courses: math, english, social studies, etc. That gives you time to decide what major you would like to go into. Then you can decide what colleges you want to go to by the major you have decided on. Start looking for scholarships RIGHT NOW!! Do not wait until you are in college. The more financial help you can get is better. NO LOANS!! You con't want to spend all of your money after you graduate on loans AND interest. Grants and scholarships are the way to go. If you want to pick a couple of AA's along the way, it is OK because it will give you more ideas of what you really want to go into and give you a wider range of knowlegde.

Elisa

If I could go back and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would say, "Elisa, you have been through some really tough times and life is about to get a little bit harder. Do yourself a favor and stick with vocal performance. You have been fortunate to receive a full-tuition scholarship for your voice, so don't waste it. Remember, if a boy tells you he loves you and then tells you not to go to school, he doesn't really love you. Keep going to school until you get your Master's degree, no matter what you decide to major in. You are smart, creative and talented. Don't let yourself think otherwise. Lastly, don't marry the first person who asks you. Even though you will learn valuable life lessons, he will stunt your growth. Wait until you are 30 to get married, you won't regret it!"

cheryl

I would have started with what I needed to take first and not wait for my math classes at the end of school. I would have came here first because the other university was to big I enjoy this all adult school.

ricky

Don't worry about having fun and living life to the fullest, without an education you will never find a job that lets you live the way you want too.

I can easily imagine my seventeen year-old self heading off to college- nervous, uptight, and completely naive. If I could go back in time and give myself some advice I think would tell the old me to relax; to open my mind, and stop being such a perfectionist. Though having good grades and behaving properly may seem important now, experience has shown me a different set of priorities. An "A" is not nearly as important as the process of learning itself. You gain more from talking to people with experience than you can ever learn from a book. And perfectionism is impossible, so give in to the unpredictablility of life and you will be delightfully suprised. These are the lessons I would share with my former self, with the hope that I would make the choice to heed my own advice and open up my world view at a much younger age.

Theresa

Don't take out student loans, get by on less and work harder on grants and scholarships. Study harder, work harder, pay attention to deadlines. Attempt to check on teachers before applying for their classes. Get more involved with other students and attempt to make lasting relationships with them.

Chelsea

If I could go back to high school, I would tell myself to not sweat the small stuff and look more into scholarships. In sweating every small thing that happened when coming to school, I gave myself anxiety attacks and paranoia for no reason. By learning to relax, I have been better able to enjoy my first year at Columbia College and take in everything that college life has to offer. Also, I would have looked more intensely into scholarships. Since I didn't look into them as a senior, I now have loans for the full amount of tuition where if I put time and effort into scholarships, I wouldn't have the stress of having loans and paying back so much. Scholarships are highly valueable if you take the time to apply and research.

alexis

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would remind myself that life doesn't end here and that it gets way better as you mature and put yourself into a different environment. Who you are in high school does not determine who you are going to be. You will meet so many new and interesting people that will influence you in many ways, be it positvely or negatively. I would also tell myself to work harder in everything, be it a job or school, but most importantly, school. The better grades you get in high school, will make college a lot easier. The better grades you get in college, may not guarentee a six figure job, but the knowledge you aquire will put you that much closer to it. IT ALL STARTS WILL HIGH SCHOOL!

linsey

I would tell myself to start school right away and not wait. At least get your generals done even if you dont know what degree you want to pursue. I am almost 30 and I am just starting toward my masters's degree and I could have been done now.

Rhys

So far in my two years of my college experience I have gained alot as a student, but even more as an individual. I have matured much more over the two years from the choices I made, actions I have done and the work ethic in my studies. I learned to not always take the easy way out. A successful future has its roads to make it there and some roads are hard to conquer, but are very capable of doing so. I also learned to get what you want, make it happen. Everything in life is not going to be handed to you, you must work and give your best efforts to achieve what you want. There are going to be times where the school work will be extremely difficult and make you want to quit, but it is only making you stronger and preparing you to be the best individual you can for the future. Choosing to attend college has been one of the best choices I have made. Through the ups and downs it has been quite a ride and I will continue to give college my absolute best until I am successful in the end.

Allie

I have gotten so much out of my year and a half at this school. I have learned to accept others and hope that they are accepting of me. I attend school online adn have had to adjust from living on campus, to living off campus as well as not going to the actualy campus a lot. I have had to learn to be more outgoing and to inject myself in to activities. I find these to be valuable assets for myself, since I am normally so shy.

Heather

I started college right out of highschool, attended for a year and then had to put it all on hold until now. Every day since I stopped I have told myself in the back of my head I need to get back in there, there's so much left to learn. I feel that because of this having to start and stop and start again, I have gained a valued perspective on college that other students may not have. I plan to grow plants and sell them for wholesale, being in the plant business things are constantly being discovered, what I learn at horticulture school in the next 4 years may not be the same in 10 when I have my own business. College has surrounded me with knowledgable people, who I can turn to in the future, and who are all researching the same things I am, college has also taught me the most valuable thing of all, how to research. Without research, I would never be able to succeed and my education would stop the day I graduate. If college cannot teach us how to discover outside the classroom, we are only as smart as our professors.

Lena

I originally began college in 1987. I completed my Associate's degree in 1990 and was continuing my education for my Bachelors until discovering my impending pregnancy. While I did have a great support system backing me, it was still very difficult to maintain a college schedule and home life. I gave up my dream of continuing my education to raise my family. I returned back to college to pursue my Bachelors again in 2003. However, once again, life's obstacles derailed this endeavor again. Finally, I was introduced to Columbia College by a co-worker and enrolled in 2008. I completed my first Bachelors in General Studies in June of 2010 and wanted to pursue my Masters in Criminal Justice. I am now working on the required prerequisites for the Masters in Criminal Justice and pursuing a second Bachelors in Criminal Justice. I hope to be accepted for the Masters program in August 2011. Columbia has greatly enriched me in that it allows me to maintain my home life and obligations to my family while offering me a more suitable non-traditional atmosphere to study and achieve my goals to further my education.

Dena

I have been able to work my full time job, and have a family while getting my degree here at Columbia College. They are very affordable, the teachers all have Master's degrees or higher and it is accredited so that all of my classes can tranfer to another college if I were to transfer. The schedule options are good for those who cannot do a traditional schedule of 3 days or nighters per week for 16 weeks. Columbia College offers a flexible 8 week session that is 1 night per week. This helps when you have a family and work full time as well. They offer online classes as well. Columbia College does everything they can to help students succeed. The diversity with students and staff brings more learning experience to the classroom. Enrollment, financial aid, and websites are all user friendly. Columbia College offers value, quality, and commitment to serve at a price that is not like other private colleges in the nation. I have never seen a college that has the participation of alumni that this college does. I am proud to be a Cougar.

Rebecca

In college, I have learned how to work hard for what I want in life. I have learned what I do, and don't want to do in my future. It has been valuable to attend because I have made great friends and I know that I will go far with my education.

Cherrelle

During my College experience I have gotten alot out of it. I understand hardwork and what that feels like when you make a grade letter A. The fact that these courses in college are harder pushes me more and allows me to learn my personal strengths and weaknesses but to fix those weaknesses. I am more appreciative about my education because I am paying for it myself and i know it will pay off in the end. This is valuable to me because I know that my work ethics will continue to get stronger and I will be a better person. I look forward to my potential career of nursing because I know that, that's it's own reward to help others in need.

Jaclyn

Columbia College online offered me a chance to continue my education while having young children at home. I was able to log on and do work when I found the time each week, so it was very flexible. The professors there were fantastic and were quick to answer questions. There also offer online tutoring for english and math! After being out of school for several years this was a perfect way to get back in the swing of things and boosted my confidence. I am now applying to 4 year schools with an Education program - if it wasn't for Columbia I don't think I would be doing that right now!

Annie

There was a great saying spoken by an actor years ago, "We must do what we have to do, in order to do what we want to do". This saying ahas stuck with my heart for years. I started college in 1999. I began and I stopped, began and stopped was my pattern. It has taken me years to attain an AA. I knew that it would take me some time. I was a full time mom, a full time Solider, and part-time student. I knew from the beginning that I was going to complet my degree, this is why I neve gave up. Resilience and perserverence were my keys. No matter what came my way, "I would finish this". My education means so much to me because my mother never finished high school and my grandmother had to drop out in the fifth grade. My mom told me she had one request, and that was for her daughters to finish school. I did that and now I am going beyond.

Stacey

I am so grateful for the opportunity to return to finish my bachelors degree. I am a mother and wife and thought I would be much older before I could return, but Columbia is perfect for people in my situation. I have learned so much, have been challenged and feel so grateful and happy to be finishing this goal finally. Attending any school and getting whatever education one can, is a privledge in our country and education to me has been and always will be valuable I am glad I am able to be a good example to my children about the blessing of an education. My children have taken their school studies more seriously since I have returned and it has been the most valuable things to me, as a mother. the only thing, honestly taht could make it even better is being able to find some money to help pay for tuition so I can keep the family budget in tact. Columbia is a wonderful solution for people wanting to return to school or even start college. They make it so easy and fun!!

Christopher

Life experience. Every day is another day in the classroom.

Cassie

I figured out what I want to do with my life, and how I'm going to get there next.

Brandi

I am a returning adult college student and this experience has been valuable to me in several ways. I have learned the value of my own money and time by returning as an adult, and I have also learned that I am much more determined and dedicated now. Finishing school is very important to me because I want to provide a better life for myself and my children and be a good example for them as they get older and consider college.

Joshua

Value of friendship and hard work. Getting to know the teachers and fellow students and using the life experiences of both has helped me to grow as a person and become a better friend/colleague to those around me. Hearing stories and sharing some of my own its helped me to cope with everyday situations and situations that you may not normally see or hear about. Everyone has a different story to tell and giving them a chance to tell it may not only change your prospective on something but help that other person to feel better about something that has happened to them and to hopefully help them to grow or better understand what happens in the world.

Jeri

When I first got out of highschool I was scared to got to college. First, I was afraid I would fail. For example, getting a loan then failing the class was scary, to just waste money. Second, the money is a burden to come up with. No one tells you how much money your going to need or where you have to get this from. Third, actually going to college getting everything figured out by myself was nerve wracking. But after all the tasks Ive had to deal with it financial aid, enrolling, motivating myself, and being there has gained alot of strength that I didnt even know I had at times. Finally, all these things have just made me smarter.

The idea that if you can stick with completing a degree you will be able to further obtain a better job in the field you are studying.

My experience has been wonderful. Its been valuable to attend because I have learned a lot and have had a great time doing it.

Lisa

There are any number of things I might tell myself as a high school senior. Things that would change the whole experience of college life, and life in general: ?Don?t go to college yet. You?re not ready. You're doing it for the wrong reasons.? ?Don?t waste so much energy being who you think everyone else expects you to be. Figure out who YOU are. That?s by far the best person you can be.? I could save myself some frustration and failures by saying those things, but I would be a different person today. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. Rather than changing my behaviors over the past 12 years, I would simply tell myself: ?The road ahead for you will not be easy. Learn everything you can about yourself along the way.? Today, I know who I am and what I want out of life and the world around me. I know how to decide for myself what I want, need and deserve, and reach for it. Those skills are vital to success in college, and life in general. Only because of my past failures, I know now that I can achieve that success.

Jamie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to save more money during summer jobs and to concetrate more on my acedemics.

Jonathan

My high school senior year consisted of one semester. I didn't have much time change much of anything. If I could go back and give advice to myself, I would tell me that college is just like high school. There is nothing that is so new. The classes are merely a tad bit harder and the homework piles up, but other than that it is exactly the same. I would tell myself how disappointed I was to find that the only thing that came with college was more freedom but also more responsibility. I would also tell myself that it was a bad idea to mess around in high school instead of focusing on my studies. If I had been more focused, I would have had more scholarship opportunities. I wouldn't have to go to a private college before going to the college that I really wanted. I would only tell myself these things to better prepare myself for the disappointment that lies ahead.

Debra

I would tell myself that college is affordable and versatile. I would tell myself this is an experience like no other, even though I had a lot of problems during my youth, the confidence I have now since I can attend college is immeasurable. Self discipline is a must. It's not just a few more years of school, the learning environment is so diferent, and so much more open to creativity. Even in the general study classes the individual expressionism is amazing. My thoughts and life experiences are important in this class setting. It isn't just learning, it is learning at a higher level.

Kimberly

If I were able to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior, my message would be simple. Your college will be your lifeline. Be prepared for it to be your number one priority and be ready for life to throw you curves. Many times you will feel unmotivated and distraught. The stress of finals, mid-terms, papers, and quizzes sometimes seems like it will never stop. Sometimes it's the hardest thing to do to make yourself read. However, you will find that the things you truly want in life (and yes! You WILL firgure it out, believe it or not), are fueled by your college experience and education. Take time to breathe. The adjustment can be a little much, even from class to class, but with the support of your loved ones and family, you will make it. Be determined for yourself and your goals and your dreams. Be strong for them. be strong for yourself. You will make it, and sometimes, you'll even enjoy it! :)

Meagan

If I could go back in time I would tell my high school senior not to make the decsions I did. I would say STOP!!! Five years from now this is what you will being doing; you will be a mom to the most awesome child in the world, you will be married to some one that absolutely loves you and you will be a full time college student. So save yourself some heartache, time and money. Don't go down to SCAD though now you think it is a perfect college for you, you will leave soon because you will have ran out of money. Go to Columbia College, make some really great friends and become an art teacher because you know in your heart it's what you want to do. Also, encourage Joe to stay in school and still have Easton, your son because he will make everything worth it. Also, have fun and live life to the fullest everyday you will make it!

Devon

I would tell myself to take High School serioulsy and get good grades.

Erica

if I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school i would tell myself to speak out, have more self confidence and don't let anyone get to and study study study because high school test are not like college test and to make more friend in high school.

Brandy

Research more schools, really pay attention to funding and scholarships and to be more responsible on loans . Reseach fields of studies .

Kimberly

Do more research!! There are so many programs and activities to help you through school. Apply apply and apply to scholarships and get involved with campus life, it helps you meet great people and gain financial assistance.

Lathenia

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself several pieces of advice. First I would encourage myself to stay focused on the prize: a college degree. In explaining how focus works, I would say that the adage: "slow and steady wins the race" is absolutely true when committing yourself to remaining focused. Second, I would tell myself that it doesn't matter if your major changes or if you have to reduce your class load from time to time, just hang in there and CONTINUE. Next I would tell myself to not allow poor decision making to keep you off course. Bad decisions can take you in the wrong direction so remember: you may stray from your plan, but the quicker you can overcome any bad decision the better it is in the long run. The last thing I would tell myself is to make the most out of college life and especially campus life. Those years can never be recaputured, nor recreated. The memories will last a lifetime.

vanessa

I would tell myself that college is a lot more important than I realized. It's something that will affect the rest of your life. Instead of barely getting by on a $20,000 a year job that you've spent the last 25 years at, you could have so much more. Friends and fun are important too, but not nearly as important as that education. You will feel so much better about yourself if you will just take the time to study and do your homework and earn your play time. Go to school and be involved. Make the right kind of friends. The friends that will study and help you study and not just party all the time. I'm not saying you can't have a good time, just earn that good time. Learn from your mistakes and make the next day better. Believe me, school is a lot harder when you finally have the time to go back after you've raised your kids, and you will have kids, and a full time job. Be who you were raised to be and you'll do fine. Believe in yourself!

Sandra

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to pay better attention in class and to take notes on everything the instructor is saying. I would tell myself to do all of the assigned homework, and to read ahead in the book so I could have a small advantage at the next days lecture. I would tell myself that college is a fun and rewarding experience, and I would tell myself not to wait to start, but to go to college immediately after completing high school. I would tell myself to go ahead and reach for what I want, and don't let anyone crush those dreams or desires. Going to college is definitely a unique experience that changes your life forever.

Janet

Try to always stay with your friends at parties. Don't ever be caught alone unless you really know the person. Pick a major that you are truly interested in and would enjoy working at for the next 50 years. Concentrate on your homework and study hard for tests as the higher placement at graduation will make you a more favorable candidate for a position later. Stay away from "users" - people who will take money, things and all your energy because you might find yourself "starting over" at the age of 50. Stay directed and focused in what you want out of life - time passes quickly - don't squander it, and never settle for less than what you have dreamed your life will be like.

I would tell myself that you need to do as well as you can in the concurrent enrollment and advance placement classes you are currently taking. Take more of these as much as you can because tuition in college is so expensive and right now, your education is free. So please take advantage of these opportunities. Also, begin to apply for as many scholarships and grants as you can so that you can begin to win free money to help pay for your college degrees since you wish to get your PhD in whatever you decide to go to school for. The more that you apply for the greater the chances are that you will win them. And lastly, never give up. College life is very different from that of a high schooler because now you are an adult. Work and school now play into effect, not just one or the other. Never let anyone get you down or stop you from obtaining your educational goals.

I would have taken my classes more seriously and dual enrolled in more college courses. I dual enrolled my senior year but now you can do it beginning with your sophomore year. I would have had better study habits also. And payed more attention in math and history.

Paige

Paige, I know everyone says to you, "you have your whole life ahead of you" the truth is; you do and you don't. Please consider putting your energy into pursuing knowledge. How do you know what you like (or do not like) if you have not tried a variety things? Give yourself the opportunity to explore how fabulous you are and can be by actively participating in the college experience. It is okay to feel uncomfortable and uncertain, EVERYONE has these feelings. Pretend you are confident and seize the opportunity to go to school and learn things. Try taking a class that scares you or take classes that speak to your heart and soul. Be brave, take risks, and learn so that you have the tools you need to build a beautiful life and share your wisdom with others. I love you and want you to be happy today and in the future.

study more nd attend your classes because you have to do both in college

Stacey

I would tell myself to just enjoy the process. To stay centered and seek my Higher Power's will for me. Find something that I really want to do with my life. Not just a job but as a career. Once I figured that out, to pursue all avenues of education, not just formal or classroom education but experience life and enjoy the process. The opportunity for education is such a privilege in this country and I will NEVER regret an education. I'd tell myself not to stop ( barring it's my higher Power's will of course) attending classes. Swallow my pride and get a loan if need be, but continue with my education because life will get complicated and busy. The over all theme I think is just to enjoy the process. Enjoy each year of life and have fun learning. Even the worst class will only last a semester.

Carrie

There is so much I would tell myself as a high school senior. The first being that high school is only one portion of your entire life and that those experiences are important, but not as important as preparing for college. I would tell myself that college is important to me and success is possible despite being the first in my family to go to college. I would tell myself to focus on the journey and let the destination come together from there. I would also suggest that I slow down and realize that there is a lot of life to live after college in the form of a career, marriage, and family. I would warn myself against the choices I made that sie-lined me from getting my degree right out of high school. I would also tell myself how proud I am of myself that despite working full-time and being a wife and mother, I never gave up on the pursuit of my undergraduate degree, have graduation in my sights, and have applied for a Master's program.

Amber

First I would share a quote that I love and has inspired me throughout my life. I feel it is a good set of words for not only college life but even after when you get into the work force. "When you're down to nothing, God is up to something. The faithful see the invisible, believe the incredible and then receive the impossible." To me this means that nothing is impossible and anything IS possible. So even when life gets tough and school on top of it all seems to never end, you will be done at some point and you have to remember that you can use the tools you learn to make a life for yourself!

Lia

When I was in high school, everyone always made such a big deal of what school you chose. I always thought it was over-rated and that I would be successful at any school. But I was wrong. I based my first choice on a school that I thought was pretty. In addition I loved how big it was. Altough, once school started, i realized how difficult it is to be successful in classes with 500 other students in it. I have no transfered to a school where the staff actually cares about your academic achievment, my proffessors all speak english as their first language, and I am able to see the board with ease. I have also found that getting a four year degree is well worth the money, so find the school that fits you best and worry about the cost later. It is most important that you get the best and most efficient education possible.

Shawn

Do the research, check out as much of the school before you decide. Once you are at the school commit to it.