Sonora, CA
Columbia College-Sonora

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Columbia College-Sonora

Behr
Graduated in 2002

Graduated in 2002

Columbia is a small, yet amazing campus nestled in the woods. There is a hiking trail/exercise course a couple miles long that goes around the whole campus and there are places to explore such as"The Labyrinth", a natural maze covering acres, comprised predominantly of limestone and granite. Native species live in the pond at center of campus and the biology program often incorporates local flora and fauna into the curriculum. The teachers and staff are very open to new students and helping students obtain their two year degree or professional certification and/or prepare them for a four year university experience. The professors are varied in their teaching styles and you will probably find some you relate to and others you don't. The social scene is medium sized, if you have a particular "clique" you like to associate with, you will probably know 80% of the people in that group after the first couple semesters. The community is large enough though, that unless you are a complete social butterfly, you're going to meet someone new here and there. People are always coming and going and there are a lot of cultural events going on in the area for how small the mountain community is. Theater, dance, live music and political gatherings are somewhat limited but this is also a good place for someone with a dream who doesn't want to deal with too much competition and wants to spread their wings in a more relaxed environment. The area is predominately white and there are some instances of homophobia and racism, but it is shifting so you will see a small showing of ethnic diversity as well as LGBTQ community. Not as culturally enlightened as a more metropolitan area, but I never saw physical violence committed in the way of hate crime. I lived here as a child and then again in college. There is a lot of beautiful wilderness in this area and a lot of good hearted people at middle to low income. It is sort of a middle ground type place, with not a whole lot going for it in any one area, but also not a whole lot wrong with it, either. The school itself has a good fire program and the USFS fire program in the area is also well funded and respected. There are several theaters and the core science programs (physics, biology, chemistry) were well run when I was a student. I felt I received a solid basic education in a fantastic setting. Lots of people from different walks of life, athletes, hippies and party kids, serious students, nature lovers and cowboys and cowgirls. One nice thing about the area is that gang activity is very low, people who form or pretend to be in gangs are treated like a joke, which does a lot for dissuading otherwise impressionable young people from diving deeper into that world of violence and ego.

Erin

A quality, basic eduation

A quality, basic eduation

Devout yourself now to working hard. College can provide a lot of fun and exciting new expirences, but it can also provide you so much knowledge and wisdom. Yes, play, have fun, but take advantage of all the oppurtunites to learn and prepare. They will serve you will and are just as exiciting.

Intelligent staff and faculty who are devouted to help you exceed.

Kelsey

The first thing I would tell myself is to not rush into things and enjoy your time taking the classes and transitioning. It's a great opportunity to experiment with different fields, which could ultimately lead to discovering your career interests. But at the same time you should keep making appointments with your advisor to make sure you're on track to transferring/graduation. Also, each semester keep a to do list handy because those deadlines can come and go faster than you would ever imagine. I really wish I would have been more organized when it came to school related things outside of my classes (such as graduation deadlines.)

I think the campus is beautiful. It's located in the Sierra Nevada Foothills. There are pine trees and winding hills all over campus.

I tell them how beautiful the campus is and how it feels like you're out at the lake or camping/hiking.

Mishale

I would let myself know that college is a great journey and not to be afraid. Take advantage of all the education you can get while you are young. School is so much easy to get through if you do not have alot of distraction such as children. Starting college after high school is the best option and don't give up when things get a little rough.

I wish I knew to start earlier. The experience I have had so far has been such an eye opener and a fun journey.

Any kind of person with dreams and hopes should attend this school. And you must really like close contact with nature here. It is a peaceful and beautiful school.

Iesha

My classmates are all really nice and make me feel welcome here because I'm not from around here.

First, I would tell myself that I need to make sure that I do well my senior year because I won't get financial aid unless I have good grades. Second, despite me getting really homesick, it's still a good idea to go to a college away from home because it's a good experience. You get used to being away after a while because you make new friends and you adapt well to the college. Also, you need to make time for everything because your assigned a lot of work. Especially if you're taking a 5 unit class. The last thing I would tell myself would be to have fun with it, you will hit a bump on the road every once in a while, but just hold on and you'll survive college.

When I tell my friends about my school, I always brag about the wildlife here and the foresty look. I also love to brag about the labyrinth that's around here because it's really nice and I have never been to one.

Columbia College-Sonora administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.