Columbia College-Sonora Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Columbia College-Sonora

Behr

Columbia is a small, yet amazing campus nestled in the woods. There is a hiking trail/exercise course a couple miles long that goes around the whole campus and there are places to explore such as"The Labyrinth", a natural maze covering acres, comprised predominantly of limestone and granite. Native species live in the pond at center of campus and the biology program often incorporates local flora and fauna into the curriculum. The teachers and staff are very open to new students and helping students obtain their two year degree or professional certification and/or prepare them for a four year university experience. The professors are varied in their teaching styles and you will probably find some you relate to and others you don't. The social scene is medium sized, if you have a particular "clique" you like to associate with, you will probably know 80% of the people in that group after the first couple semesters. The community is large enough though, that unless you are a complete social butterfly, you're going to meet someone new here and there. People are always coming and going and there are a lot of cultural events going on in the area for how small the mountain community is. Theater, dance, live music and political gatherings are somewhat limited but this is also a good place for someone with a dream who doesn't want to deal with too much competition and wants to spread their wings in a more relaxed environment. The area is predominately white and there are some instances of homophobia and racism, but it is shifting so you will see a small showing of ethnic diversity as well as LGBTQ community. Not as culturally enlightened as a more metropolitan area, but I never saw physical violence committed in the way of hate crime. I lived here as a child and then again in college. There is a lot of beautiful wilderness in this area and a lot of good hearted people at middle to low income. It is sort of a middle ground type place, with not a whole lot going for it in any one area, but also not a whole lot wrong with it, either. The school itself has a good fire program and the USFS fire program in the area is also well funded and respected. There are several theaters and the core science programs (physics, biology, chemistry) were well run when I was a student. I felt I received a solid basic education in a fantastic setting. Lots of people from different walks of life, athletes, hippies and party kids, serious students, nature lovers and cowboys and cowgirls. One nice thing about the area is that gang activity is very low, people who form or pretend to be in gangs are treated like a joke, which does a lot for dissuading otherwise impressionable young people from diving deeper into that world of violence and ego.

AMBER

Its an overall good college, their is much to be done about the majors, since I feel they should add more they have all the classes for a pre-dental program if a student would like to transfer to university. With the small class sizes the teachers really get to know their students and a lot of them make a bond and understand their weakness and strengths.

Hayley

The actual campus setting is nice, almost like taking classes adjacent to a national park. Class sizes are modest, with a better chance of connecting with the professors. However Columbia needs to work on hiring extra professors for certain subjects, and not hire only adjunct professors. The college also needs to look into student complaints, including maintenance requests: for example numerous students have complained for over a year about study spaces in the library that have non functioning power outlets, the problem has yet to be fixed. Communication between departments and special programs could be better also. Overall, Columbia College is a nice enough campus, but has quite a few issues that probably won't be fixed by the time I graduate in the next year.

Abigail

I love it! It gives so many oppertunities to students. I was able to start their at 15, while still being able to do high school at the same time. It has opened so many doors for me and my future. I wasn't serious about colleges until I started taking classes here, and talking to professionals at the school.

Kennedy

I have lived in Sonora all my life, and my last resort was to go to Columbia College, which was so close to home. But I am so glad I went. I love my professors, who are very available and I can have a relationship with them and get help whenever I need, thanks to the small class size. They are people that you can get to know and have inside and outside class discussions and many share the same interests as you do. They keep the subject interesting. The labyrinth is perfect for rock climbers and there are tons of trails to run or walk. I've lived here my entire life, so I'm used to the slow pace and not much "excitement," but because of this place I've learned to appreciate it more.

Shelby

Columbia College is a beautiful college set in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. It's a great school for fire science, forestry, and culinary, but not much else. I was aiming for an associates degree in Communication Studies and they told me that the classes I needed wouldn't be offered for two years. At a two year school. So I have to transfer to Modesto. That being said, many of the professors are great, and I have enjoyed my time here. But if you are looking for college with diversity, opportunity, or flexible class options, this isn't the school to go to.

Alayna

Columbia College is a great opportunity for students to advance their knowledge through a 2 year school. Located in the heart of the Sierra, the small campus is completely enclosed by the forest. There is a plethora of majors to choose from and all the faculty wants to see you succeed and pursue your educational career. This school is primarily focused on education, while we do have two CCCAA sports, Men's Basketball and Women's Volleyball, there is also various clubs to join as well. As far as housing goes the on-campus dorms are not affiliated with the school, but a good option for those coming from a distance. Otherwise, having a school in such a small town, there is always something going on whether you are an adventurous type and want to go hiking or to a swimming hole. Or if you want to go into town for a festival or go to the old mining towns to check out the history of the Mother Lode. Overall, Columbia College is a great Junior College and has an amazing program for whatever interests you.

Gabrielle

I love this local campus more than I thought I ever would. The professors are so willing to help, and they are available almost any time to help you. I have had phone calls with a professor at 2 am, while cramming. The education we receive is top notch, and it prepares you for what you are about to go into. I highly recommend taking classes here if you want a good education for your money, a group of students and staff who care about your success, and a beautiful campus to study on!

Tyler

Columbia College is a great school, with even better people. All the professors are so welcoming, and the counselors and other staff are very helpful. They have made my transition from high school to college seamless, and my balance between high school and college is perfect, thanks to the staff. The facilities are always clean, and the campus is beautiful.

Haley

Columbia College is located in the small town of Columbia, California surrounded by woods and a pond in the center of campus. The campus is one of the most beautiful ones I have been to and it is refreshing to be surrounded by trees, wild animals, and nature. The small campus allows for more intimate classroom sizes, more time with professors, and is fairly easy to enroll in the classes you need. The only problem is that on occasion, classes will get cancelled because not enough students enrolled in the class! The campus's majestic nature never fails to surprise me, such as when a baby deer will walk right up to you as you arrive to your classes. Columbia College does not receive five stars from me only due to the fact that the geese by the pond terrify me on a daily base when they chase me!

Gabe

I really enjoy Columbia College because you can always get ahold of your professors and there is always someone to help you with your academics. The campus is also very beautiful because it is sort of tucked in the forest and hills. So overall I would highly advise anyone who is considering this campus should enroll.