The Dalles, OR
Columbia Gorge Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Columbia Gorge Community College

Cameron

I am very happy with my college! I think it's a good college with caring teachers and councilors. The school is very small and resides in a small town. There are both pros and cons to this. The Dalles is not a "college" town - it's a lot calmer and more family-oriented. So there isn't much partying, drinking, or drugs around. The classes are also much smaller, which allows for more of a community feeling and more one-on-one time with the teachers. This is incredibly important to me and one of my favorite things about the school. Unfortunately, it also means the school does not have a huge budget and there are areas that could be improved. Clubs and extracurricular activities, for example. There is also not much to do around town, which can be a bummer for students. You have to drive about twenty minutes to Hood River to find more opportunities and fun things to do. The online courses are done through a program called "Moodle" which has room for improvement, as well. It can be difficult to navigate and takes time to learn the ropes. Some of my friends who attend CGCC have told me they've had difficulty with some of the online teachers, too, though I've never had any negative experiences with anyone, personally! In my review, I gave the on-campus housing just 1 star, but this is because there is no on-campus housing! I would love it if there were. But this coincides with the town being so small. There's really no reason for on-campus housing when the school is small and there aren't a huge amount of students attending in the first place. Overall, I think it's a wonderful school, especially for your first few years of college. It's a calm and relaxed environment with nice teachers. The classes are also not very expensive, so it's a good path to take to get your general studies/Associate Degree out of the way for cheap. I'm very happy to have attended CGCC and recommend it completely to new students.

Ashelyn

Overall, CGCC is a great place to go for those that want to get their first 2 years of general classes out of the way. The teachers are always available in one format or another, there is a great diversity in the class demographics providing a wide range of experiences, and the facilities are well maintained.

Julianna

Columbia Gorge Community College is a great place to start out your freshman year of college. I have had a great experience at the college my first term and I can not wait to come back next term. Most of the professors are really helpful, although there is a few that have not been so helpful. Again, I can not wait to come back next term.

Kasia

CGCC is the best community college. It has a wide range of classes and so many different options for people in different stretches of their life.

Phi Theta Kappa is ALL over campus and it seems like everyone is a member!

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college like and making the transition. The advice I would give myself would that it is so much better than the high school life. You have a lot more freedom and it is a mature enviornment. Don't stress about college, sign up for your classes and worry about the money later, look into the different universities that you are interested in like: Univeristy of Oregon, Eastern Oregon University, and Southern Oregon University. You will do great in college. If it gets to be to much, relax, and breath. It will help. Get a job up at the college. It will be easier for you and you get weekends off to work on your homework. Good luck out there! You'll do amazing!

The worst thing I consider about my school is the price of the books that they require you to have for your classes.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is the people that don't take school seriously.

Elisapeta

My classmates in school are very nice, sweet and talkative that I could relate to easily.

If I had to go back in time and talk to myself about all the things I knew now, I would probably be the happiest person in college. I wish I could go back and be a better high school senior and promise that I would do well and get an outstanding GPA. If I had a good GPA as a high school senior, I would not have to take Reading in college. I would tell myself that everything will be okay and that I would make it out of high school with the best grades in the world. I will try to be the smart and pass all my classes. I will probably take the higher classes in high school and attend college at the same time, which would help me a lot. I would search the internet for all types of good scholarships and to help my college school. My advice for myself would be 'getting a good grade would help me in my future careers'. Everything I did in high school effected me as I am now in college. Now that I have a 3.0 GPA in college, I wish I had it in high school.

I wish I'd known about all the different types of scholarships offered by my school in the major I'm interested in like Nursing.

Brian

The only frustrating thing I can think of is the standard feelings associated with new students being overwhelmed, scared ,stressed, and the lonely feeling of not having friends. the campus has many solutions to help with this.

At Columbia Gorge Community college we have two campus, one in The Dalles and one in Hood River the Indian Creek campus, which are well located and very accessable. Our college has several good programs including nursing, emergency medical tech, re-newable energy, criminal justice, and many others. We have many resources to help strudents and caring instructors, advisiors and campus saff. They're many clubs, services projects and campus activaties to keep us interested and on track. We also have an outstanding liburary and several computer labs.

If I could talk to myself as a senior I would advise myself in this way : I know that you are confussed and have no idea what you want, and chasing girls maybe fun but , it will not make for a good future. At this stage in your life you have two choices, first go into the navy like you are considering and when you come out you will have more funding for college. The second choice is to jump into college, it will not be as hard as you think and you will be very good at it. In the future you will very good at working with people, especially youth. I know you are affraid and think you can't afford it, but you will do fine. So call several colleges to see what they offer, talk to advisiors, look at course catologs and start with the basics. because you may not be able to aford it, apply for scholarhips, grants, and student loans to make it happen. Trust me you will love college, you know more then you think you do; and the whole world is at your finger tips and you will be GREAT!

Luz

Sometimes when students don't understand a subject, they usually blame it on the teacher. I even did that a few times. The thing is, in college you're not supposed to be acting like a victim, because you can have some control over what happens to you. I didn't think about it before I went to college, but if you don't understand something it's your responsibility to get help and find a way to understand what you are being taught. You can always have study groups or get a tutor.

Going to college is a huge transition in life. It is really important to take things seriously because your future depends on what you do now. It is important to apply to colleges and universities in advance because chances are that you might not be accepted to a school. If you don't have enough money, you always have an opportunity to apply for scholarships. Even though it might seem stressful to go through all this, never give up because at the end you will thank yourself for what you did. Be involved in your community and show people that you care about them by helping them out. Even though it takes a lot of hard work, you will never regret it because going to college is so worth it. It will change your life for the best.

It's very interesting to go to a school where not everyone is your age. It's actually pretty fun to be in a class where there can be a variey of opinions of the different ages. Everyone I've met so far are great people. I actually like college better than high school.

Columbia Gorge Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.