New York, NY
Columbia University in the City of New York

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Columbia University in the City of New York

stacey

As a high school senior living the teenage life of peer pressure and trying to fit the right crowd is not the answer. What I have learned durning the time of being a college student I recommend that all high school students please choose your career and school pathway. You don't really have to attend a four year college just to get that big degree you can also attend a 2 year college to start you off. Don't never say never to reaching your goal of making the best out of life because having a high school diploma is just not thee answer to getting a good job now days. Always believe in yourself and never give up on trying because as long as you try you will make it. Always put GOD first and foremost in your life to keep you focus on what you are here for and what you are trying to do. Learning is the key because whatever skills you have learned over the time you can use in many other areas in your life time.

Richard

My advice would be; don't run. College will be an exciting time. Though you shouldn't take it lightly, approach it with excitement and vigor instead of apprehension and fear. Also, don't limit yourself in where you can go. There are many colleges out there and thousands of scholarships to apply for so take advantage of them.Trust me, it'll make all the difference. Now once you've gotten to where you want to go focus will be key so study and be responsible. No one's going to be there to babysit you, keep track of your assignments, or force you to take notes. That's on you, so take responsibility for your education and do the very best you can, afterall this is your future. Once you get the hang of this though (and you will) I want you to try and have some fun. Be social, make some new friends, (they may turn out to be the best ones you ever have) and try to enjoy this new and exciting chapter in your life . Well that's my advice, what you do with it is up to you.

Ray

I was from the rural midwest. I was not prepared for the careerist attitudes that so dominated Columbia College, at least in 1977. Either I needed to go to a place that was more in tune with learning for its own sake, or else I needed to decide that I was primarily concerned with getting a degree that would impress people.

I found the social ambiance frustrating. Maybe any prestigious college would be like that. People weren't there to make education an integral part of their lives -- to develop friends and interests that would make them socially and personally deeper, better people. There didn't seem to be a lot of bonding going on, and people weren't sitting around discussing issues in their areas of interest. I found it to be a rather harsh and solitary affair.

Yang

A mix Columbia has the biggest share of international students among the states. And since it locates at NYC, it attracts students from all over the country. So the Columbia University students are full of diversity. f Well, it's true when u first enter the campus and NYC. The more time u spend here, the easier u will find that everyone is trying to be a NYCer. But who can be called a qualified NYCer? The answer is waiting u to dig.

Wenjun

1. The atmosphere here is great. You'll be influenced by students around you and really push yourself. 2. Some of the equipment is a little old although we have to pay a lot for it. 3. The location is great and everything is convenient. Lots of events and opportunities. 4. The school system runs great. You can learn almost everything on the website.

School will provide some university housing and since lots of the students are international, it's a good chance to communicate with each other and gain some friends and life experience.

1. The graduate school divides all the students into small groups consisting 8-12 people. Professors always know you well and they respect everybody's interests. 2. My personal favourite course is the software course. You can learn really fast due to the help of well-organized classes and assignments. Teachers are always patient and willing to teach you everything they know. 3. You can always choose courses from other school.

People who are absolutely talented but also interesting. It's usually a mixture of people from different countries and have different background. Communication could be fun and helpful.

Xueyan

When I was a child in China, I knew Columbia is one of the best schol all over the world. I studied hard and got a chance to study here. The campus is large and I like the campus squirrels. Most of my part time is spent in the Butler Library. I enjoy time there. Everyone around you work hard, it is a real place for you to study. Most of the students are crazy workaholics.

Floyd

The general stereotype of Columbia is that we are a school of radical liberals who are constantly protesting, smoking, and boasting about how "TOTALLY AWESOME" New York City is. On top of that, we've been named 2011's most stressful college by the Daily Beast. While the stress factor is definitely up there and we are a fairly liberal university, smoking is pretty unpopular and protests are certainly not as frequent as FOX news would like New Yorkers to believe. The NYC pride aspect is purely a product of the administrations advertising strategy. But hey, everyone knows that NYC is THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD, so why would they need to advertise that?

Nathan

I am incredibly pleased with my experience at CU. The campus is incredible, and the location within the city presents such an amazing opportunity. Yes the work is hard, and there's a lot of it, but the diverse and vibrant study body always surges together to overcome adversity. There is never a dull moment, always so much going on, and activities/groups/people for everyone. Literally everyone; every single type of person. School pride could be better, as sports do not have a huge campus presence. There are some space issues that come with being in the most crowded city on Earth, as well. But overall the campus is cozy yet spacious, the student body is diverse and talented, yet accessible and welcoming, and the school itself presents innumerable opportunities for challenge and growth.

Columbia students are very hard-working and very bright. This often means that there is a slight perception of elitism or "preppy-ness," considering we're an Ivy League school in the Northeast. Of course many students are seen as "nerds," especially in engineering. There is the perception that there are a fair amount of hipsters and hippies, due to the extremely liberal nature of the school. Obviously none of these are 100% accurate. The student body is incredibly diverse: one of the school's greatest strengths and most attractive features. Anyone can find a crowd in which they will fit, and flourish. And if you go looking, you can find almost any type of student here at CU.

Anthony

Although I'm sure every student says this about their college, I can say without a doubt that the Columbia experience is unlike any other. The most obvious reason for this is the location of campus: New York City, one of the great cultural capitals of the world. With that said, it is important to understand that you must make an effort to take advantage of the city; the city experience will not simply come to you. I know of students who go almost entire semesters without ever leaving Morningside Heights (sometimes referred to as "Boringside Heights" by Columbians). In a city like New York with its multitude of experiences and a thousand worlds for the choosing, this is simply a shame. A large reason for this "Morningside bubble" is the fact that the University's academic demands are rigorous and leave little time for free exploration of this great city. There is another side to that, however, because you will be hard-pressed to find a more rewarding intellectual experience anywhere else. Most of your professors are at the top of their respective fields, and you are surrounded by brilliant students who add to your understanding in ways that you couldn't have anticipated. I am currently taking Kenneth Jackson's "History of the City of New York" class. This is a perfect example of what makes Columbia unique. Professor Jackson is a highly-renowned historian whose knowledge of the city is second to none. Additionally, all students who take the class participate in out-of-class activities that are designed to increase appreciation for this great city. The major downsides in my experience have mostly been administration-related. As a student on financial aid, my experience with this department has been nothing short of excruciating. Every year, the financial aid department demands forms that have already been turned in, have lost other forms, and have generally been unhelpful throughout the whole process. Additionally, with last year's infamous drug bust the administration has cracked down on Greek life, though interest in fraternities and sororities has never been higher to my knowledge. In general, I just get the sense that the administration is incompetent in virtually everything they do, which I know was not the case for my sister, who went to Yale. Finally, if you're looking for a school with a thriving sports culture, avoid Columbia like the plague. We are simply a joke when it comes to sports. Other than crew and perhaps one or two other low-profile teams, no one has any school spirit and almost no one goes to any games other than Homecoming. This plays into what I believe is a larger flaw with the school; a lack of community.

Perceptions abound about what exactly constitutes the "typical Columbia student." To be sure, there are many kids who arrive in Morningside Heights determined to obtain a near 4.0 and will do anything to get it, including spending seven nights a week locked in Butler library. This stereotype is common not just of Columbia students, but of most Ivy League schools. However, I have found in my two and a half years at this school that there are all kinds of students that do not fit into this limiting stereotype. There are nerds, jocks, frat stars, stoners, people who go out five days a week, people who never go out, hipsters, liberals, conservatives (actually far more than I thought I would encounter when I entered Columbia as a freshman, as Columbia has a reputation for being a hotbed of liberalism), arts-y types, and people who do not fit into any of the above categories. In short, whatever your interests, there are bound to be several other students on campus who share them. Much has also been made during the last year of Columbia's "War on Fun." Although Morningside Heights is perhaps not the ideal community for those looking for the optimal social experience, I personally have not been wanting for fun during my time here. What matters the most is making friends with people you enjoy spending time with. If you can do that, the fun part will take care of itself, even if you feel overwhelmed by school at times.

Amy

I think Columbia students are ususally characterized as being very liberal and always protesting for different causes. This sterotype does tend to be pretty accurate. College Dems is one of the biggest groups on campus, and lots of students support Occupy Wall Street and are very politicaly active. Those students tend to be the most vocal, but there are also large contingents of students who are interested in finance and are more conservative.

Columbia University in the City of New York administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.