New York, NY
Columbia University in the City of New York

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Columbia University in the City of New York

Shruti

This is a big city - not at all a college town - but in New York, everything is here. If you need to get away, a train to New Jersey is not at all expensive. Administration is typical of what to be expected. School size is just right - there are giant lecture classes as well as small seminars. The library is very popular.

If there's a holiday of any kind - for any major religion or ethnic group and most minor ones too - likely some group on campus will be holding an event for it. There are organizations for practically everything. It's not that easy to start a recognized student group but it's quite easy to find your place in one that interests you. There is always something going on - you can never claim to be bored! Plenty of non-drinking fun is available. Around campus there are no end of restaurants and cultural centers, plus we live in New York where you could find practically anything that suits your interest. Definitely go to the Bhakti Club events - they have something for everyone and tons of the best delicious (and suitable and/or modifiable for practically any restrictive diet) FREE food!

You will find literally every time of student at Columbia - from all over the world, all racial and religious backgrounds, with a mix of socio-economic backgrounds, and much support for the LGBT population from most sides (although the conservative side is also very active). Everyone will find a place here! Money is very much a motivating focus especially for entrepreneurship and economics-studying students.

The students are top-notch, so you have to be really top-notch to get noticed, especially in the giant lecture classes. It's easier to be known in the smaller seminar classes with few students. Students are always studying but have healthy social lives too. Intellectual conversations are frequent; competition is heavy. Most students attend office hours - you'll need that to get your way through class. Education is geared towards learning. Every opportunity you could want is here, but you'll have to find it and work for it.

The 'Jock' stereotype is not so common but there are many dedicated and talented athletes. There is also a dedicated group of 'Frat kids' although Greek life is not so popular. The positive aspects of the 'Nerd'/'Geek' stereotype are everywhere!

Veronique

Columbia definitely doesn't lie when it calls itself diverse; besides the many different cultures and countries represented on campus, students also embody many different stereotypes. You have your classy hipsters, your grassy hipsters, your foreign bookworms, your diehard premeds, your very-recruited athletes... but the one thing we all have in common? Everyone thinks they're hot shit. Whether this be because you're rich, smart, athletically-inclined, musically gifted.. everyone here is good at something, and believe me, we definitely know it

Simon

Columbia is my home, plainly put. I really can't think of anywhere else that I feel as comfortable as I do when I walk through the gates and back across Low Plaza by Alma Mater... it's an indescribable feeling. We have it all - amazing research opportunities, a tight-knit campus community, New York City and all its glamour right in our back yard. It's the first and only place I've really ever thought, "I can do anything."

If I had to pick a certain type of group that's most popular, it would be the cultural groups. From dance to martial arts to choirs and more, there is the opportunity to get involved in any sort of social or cultural activity from any part of the world. I'm a white student from Maryland, but I'm a proud member of Columbia Raas, a traditional Indian dance team. We perform garba/raas dance in cultural showcases around NYC, as well as competing in dance competitions all over the country. It's just one example of how you can totally step out of your comfort zone and experience something you never thought you would.

As I wrote before, you name it, we have it. Students who speak every language, who have fascinating stories to share, from every side of the political and religious spectra, it's all here. Admittedly, we do lack the sort of economic diversity that I was hoping for, but I think it's a direction that the University is trying to head in, to encourage students of many different financial circumstances to apply. The University's financial aid policies are top notch, and money should never be a reason for someone not to apply.

Columbia's academic reputation stands for itself, I think, in terms of our world-class faculty and successful alumni. On a personal note, though, I love my professors. They will rarely reach out to you as a student first, but they're extremely warm and responsive when you make the first effort to meet them and to ask your questions. They're there for recommendations, office hours, questions about the material, life advice, or just to chat. I've even been to some professors' apartments for dinner! There's nothing like the feeling of being able to spend quality time with these people who have published and who know so much.

If I had to give a simple description, it would be this: unique. Honestly, every student you meet at Columbia is going to be different, and it's something I really love about the school. We have students from a huge number of countries and nearly every state in the U.S., and everyone brings their own story and perspective to your classes and dorms. The tremendous level of diversity is one of the main reasons I chose to attend school here.

Jinghua

It's okay to take a gap year off to figure out what you want to do with life. Don't waste your time trying to impress other people by being someone else. Be exactly who you are. Make lots of close friends. These are the people that will be there with you for all the important moments for the rest of your life. They may be your future bosses, coworkers, or employees. During college, you won't have your mother to cook for you and take care of you. This doesn't mean you should just let go of your health and order pizza every day and go out drinking every night during the weekend. Make sure you get a balanced diet and go to the gym regularly. Do take a shower daily and do laundry often; no one likes a smelly date. Choose a major that you're interested in, not because it's easy or because you think it will help you get a better job or earn more money in the future. You'll be most successful at what you love. Take time to enjoy college. These are the best four years of your life.

It's hard to make friends here. Make sure you join clubs and go to events and meet people with common interests. A lot of students here also spend way too much time in the library, which admittedly is very beautiful, but there is nothing wrong with going to a club or bar or frat party now and then. You don't need to take the hardest classes or get a perfect GPA to get accepted to the grad school of job of your dreams. What is more important is passion, so do research or an internship.

- independent - social - goal-oriented Columbia and New York are places that you have to be very independent and think for yourself in order to survive. No one here is going to hold your hand and guide you through each step: choosing your program, applying to jobs and internships, and making friends. On the other hand, no where else will you find so many opportunities as in New York. Only here can you attend a global university, do research with a nobel laureate, and land a coveted internship at the same time.

Jaclyn

Columbia stands apart from the rest of the schools in the Ivy League for two main reasons: first, its location, and second, the Core Curriculum. Located in arguably one of the greatest and most thriving cities in the country, Columbia offers a huge amount of opportunities, including the incorporation of theater and museum trips to the curriculum, and incredible internships, as well as professional networking and panels. As for the Core, all students are given a unique and shared knowledge base which puts their educations in perspective.

Recently, we're all proud that we've held the number 4 spot in the US News college ranking right after the big three (Harvard, Princeton, and Yale) for the second year in a row now, but I tend to brag most about the World Leaders Forum, in which world leaders are brought in to speak to the students, and then take questions. The experience itself is incredible.

Regardless of the strange looks you may get from time to time, or the rare failures to connect, it is absolutely worth it to approach people and just say, "Hi," even if it may be awkward. Especially take advantage of this during the first weeks of school, because the opportunity closes itself off as groups form and classes start. Take yourself out of your comfort zone, and you will be surprised of the connections you'll make.

Nikita

Some of the lectures are very boring and confusing because the professors are not the best for that course.

I realized that you really need to be proactive in life. If you work towards what you want you will get it. To pay for college I need to go out there and look for scholarships and work on them. I need to actively participate in my parents business to help. Some professors are not the greatest so if I want to pass a course I need to read the textbook. If I want to finish college earlier I need to work to my full potential and take an extra course, not just watch movies online. I realized how hard life can get and how hard other people work to achieve their goals, and if I want to do the same, I have to work hard to. In grade school, you were handed everything you had to do, take extracurriculars, volunteer, and do your homework. College is different. More is up to you. You make the choices of where you want to go and you have to discover the paths that will get you there. Of course there is still people to help you, but they won't be at your doorstep, I'll have to go to them.

Sometimes the core curriculum takes up so much time and contributes so little to our enrishment.

The choice to attend Columbia University was an easy one. The moment I walked on campus during a high school open house, I knew that it was where I was meant to be. The tough part was applying and waiting for the acceptance decision. Overall, my experience has been rewarding. I have been immersed in the culture that is New York City and have chosen to remain in the city after graduation. The experience of the college campus in the heart of the city cannot be replaced!

The core curriculum that is required of all students and the fact that our campus is located in the middle of nyc are two items that come to mind. Looking back, I wouldn't have changed a thing about this experience.

Melissa

Although incredibly diverse in terms of background, ethnicity, and interests my classmates all share a passion for learning and a motivation to excel that I've never encountered on such a large scale.

I have been exposed to more of the world in the short time I have spent here at Columbia University than in the rest of my lifetime. Having lived in Miami my whole life and traveled extensively, that's saying something. But the incredible diversity of students, the unparalleled knowledge, experience and enthusiasm of faculty, and the countless opportunities and experiences available here are almost overwhelming. It's impossible to leave Columbia without feeling inspired by something, passionate about something, and absolutey qualified to put that passion and inspiration to good use in the professional world. People often describe college in terms of how well it prepares you for the "real world". From the service organizations to the student asociations to the hands-on research and multicultural events, I would venture to say that Columbia, in many crucial ways, IS the real world, representing all it's facets in one way or another.

Everything. The pride and the welcoming and inclusive feeling of being part of a timeless institution that is constantly evolving despite its firm roots in the nation's history. The professors, who are themselves still involved in active research and are inspired by what they teach. And the endless opportunities in terms of academics but also extracurriculars in the form of hundreds of clubs and student associations.

Paris

It's an Ivy League. What else can I say? I mean, sure, yea, Harvard and Yale are worthy competitors, but c'mon... Cambridge and New Haven (puhleeease) definitely don't measure up to New York City. It's Manhattan!

Well, someone who is dedicated to academics, that is for sure. Party people? Don't bother applying to Columbia University. You won't have the time or sanity to allot to anything other than finishing your massive amounts of homework that will inevitably be assigned.

Oh wow, how am I supposed to answer this in only 200 words? I have become accustomed to writing pages and pages of academic dithering, and now I have to reduce my experience down to a mere paragraph? It's actually refreshing, and a lead in to my realization on what, exactly, it is that I have gained from my college experience. It has been valuable for me to attend Columbia, if only for two semesters, because being here has taught me to value the simple things in life. I have felt completely and utterly overwhelmed at many times in my brief time at this school, and I have questioned my purpose in being here. I value 200 words now, as I value my own personal worth in attending Columbia, whereas before, I would have reduced them both to being inconsequential. That would have been my presumptious high brow Ivy League talk talking. A semester or two of being humbled, however, in the presence of smarter kids with higher I.Q.'s than me, however, has taught me the invaluable lesson of pride and how to curb it. I will never forget it. And I am grateful.

Sanjana

I have gotten a lot out of my experience at college. There are so many opportunities available to students. There is so much help available to pursue anything one wishes to pursue, I have found it most exciting to explore into all the avenues that I have ever wanted to, and this has been a very liberating experience, as nothing is out of reach here at Columbia. It is almost as if someone had waived a wand and asked what I wanted from life, it would be to gain fulfilling career opportunities and an outlet for intellectual creativity, stimulation and depth into every subject area that I have wanted to learn about. I have fortunately found all of those at columbia, including the immense help and support that is available for students on campus for everything from financial aid to student housing; there is a resource center for every imaginable query. It has been a great experience so far.

A person who is enthusiastic about immersing themselves in the culture of all the dignatories that have come before them and take inspiration from them to achieve higher and to improve their current standing substantially, in terms of culture, academics, free thought and encouragement to move outside of their usual comfort zone and think outside of the box to generate new ideas, new ways of thinking, to find unique solutions and delve deeper and deeper into their own passions or subjects. Columbia will encourage you to achieve to the best of your potential and provide you with everything you need.

A person who is not willing to put in effort to absorb the wealth of knowledge, new ideas and resources and opportunities available to them. As well as that a person who is unwilling to collaborate with the greatest minds to achieve their potential. A person who is not stimulated by the world of academics and intense intellectual conversations, delving deep into subject areas, they should not consider this school.

Columbia University in the City of New York administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.