New York, NY
Columbia University in the City of New York

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Columbia University in the City of New York

Anthony

I really thought college was going to be like high school. Just a bunch of boring classes all day and I would just wait to get out of class. Then I got there and something happened. I wasn't bored! I found myself interested in what my professors were saying and I wanted to learn more. Then I got a job and realized that I wanted to be in health care. My school provided emergency medical technician training. So I enrolled in the program! Just a semester later I was a licensed EMT. I know that if I never went to school, I would never have been able to make that happen. I still wouldn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I think that is what college is there to do. It is there to help people realize what they want to do in life, and then provide the resources and learning opportunities needed in order to allow people to achieve there goals.

Columbia University offers a vast amounts of majors, and the staff at the school is willing to help you succeed to no end. They go beyond what most students would ever even dream of having done for them. The campus as well is a sanctuary from the rest of the hustle and bustle of New York City. The lawns are perfect, the buildings have much character, and there is a huge amount of history in every square inch of that campus.

By attending Columbia University I have been given the opportunity to meet the most facinating intellects of the world, and been given the chance to learn, live, and play with them. The university has this mist of intellegence that floats above it, and with every breath it fills you. Here you are able to work to solve the biggest issues of the world or invent the new biggest idea in the world. My experience with Columbia has been something that I would never return nor regret because now since I have attended the university every opportunity I can imagine has been opened up, and all I need to do is choose which one I wish to acquire. The university strives to build your understanding of the world we live in and build your knowledge of everything our world has to offer us, and this is something I highly value out of a higher education.

A student who is easily discouraged by others will not fit well at Columbia. Students here are cut throat, doesn't mean that they aren't nice, but they will try to dissuade you from achieving what you want. New York City is also not a city for the faint of heart because it is fast paced, busy yet you feel secluded from everyone, and dirty.

Columbia fosters an atmosphere for the academically inquistive. Never has a school, in my opinion, possessed such an amazing balance between one's education and one's real-world experience. At Columbia, the students thrive, not just survive. This school encourages students to be the best and most promising they can possibly be. Columbia is also in the city of New York, which makes it a constantly evolving nexus in the realms of knowledge, culture, and many other pursuits. There is no way anyone can be unfulfilled at such an enriching school.

A college education is a blessing that only some can experience. Being a first-generation immigrant, my parents did not have the fortune of attending an ivy league institution so my college experience have taught me to cherish any opportunity given to me and take nothing for granted. College has also bolstered my potential. With every class attended and exam passed, I am brought one step closer to making my dreams a reality and that is exactly what college is supposed to do. I would not trade in my college experience for anything in the world-- it has helped me realize who I am and who I want to be. Thanks to my college experience, I want to become a Rhodes Scholar and I also want to attend Harvard Law. Fifteen years from now, once I become a successful attorney, I am going to look back and be thankful for my time at college and the doors it has opened for me.

I wish that I could have the financial stability I so desperately need. Though Columbia is amazing in so much ways, I truly believe that there should be more initiative taken so that students don't have to feel like their backs are against a wall, finding themselves choosing between the desire to live up to their potential and fiscal soundness in the years to come. Being a student in my position just makes certain daily decisions harder because you always have financial problems looming over you.

Columbia University is sure to be the most challenging and rewarding experience I could ever ask for.

My college experience so far has been outstanding. It is amazing when one thinks about the areas of study that are available to a person, how your entire world changes as soon as you take your classroom education and apply it to the streets. I have grown as a person, as an academic and I consider myself and every student I have studied with very lucky to be able to obtain new and challenging perspectives, and I think with fondness how lucky we all are to have that opportunity available to each and every one of us.

I have not yet attended this school, but I wish that certain aspects of the financial aid process were more accessable to non traditional students.

Kevin

The student population was extremely diverse at Columbia. There were a large number of international students as well, which provided a more well rounded and, at the same time, interesting campus life. Columbia also offered classes in the freshman year that gave students a chance to do community projects.

At my high school, I was placed within the top percentile, but after entering college, I have been knocked down a few pegs. The people I study and learn with are well at my level and some are far more intelligent. Therefore, I am now far more humble about my education and about my achievements in general because I know I am far from the best. Also, by becoming more humble and not bragging about what I have done, I feel that I make friends much more easily, which for me, is one of the most important parts of college and of life. The friends I have made in college are invaluable and by being with them I am learning new things all the time. But that is not to say that I don't have anything to offer; they teach me just as I teach them. Because of my college experience and the people I have talked to, I have learned that you are never the best, so why brag about your achievements? People do not wish to hear about you bragging, rather, people want to know you as a person.

The people I have met and where they came from.

Christopher

What i have gotten out of my college experience so far is a chance to learn something i actually enjoy learning. I can wake up everyday knowing i am going to learn something new everyday that is going to better me in the career i have chosen to experience. The ability to meet new people and make new friends that will be in the same field that i am. Getting the full hands on experience on what i am to encounter in the field of my career. It has been valuable to attend because everyday i walk down the halls all i see is smiling faces. It makes you feel proud that you are in school. The most valuable thing is that i dont have to enjoy attending school alone becuase my brother is there with me helping me every step of the way.

Columbia University is a great school, academically and socially.

Columbia University is a great school, academically and socially.

My college experience has allowed me to mature. I was able to be involved with campus activities while also studying hard for my classes. I have learned how to make friends, get involved, study and enjoy myself while at college.

That pre-dental/pre-medical is extremely hard. Prepare to study a lot during college. Also, while it is great to get involved on campus, do not go in over your head.

Jesse

I believe my friend put it best when she said Columbia is a political, intellectual institution. Ideas and principles and names like the ones the façade of Butler Library (Homer, Ovid, Cervantes, ect.) are the things that knit you and your 1,500 starry-eyed peers together in your four years here. It's not a normal undergraduate community in any sense of the word; no one is going to hold your hand. But keep in mind, because you're in NY, you are going to be handed a thousand opportunities here you couldn't anywhere else.

Columbia prides itself on being the most diverse Ivy, which I believe is true. Our financial aid policy really promotes more socio-economic diversity than is readily apparent and I can tell you from experience our LGBT community is really committed to making some changes. A lot of students are from the tri-state area (read: Jersey) and California, a huge portion are Jewish, another huge portion Asian, everyone's liberal and no one (except for some Koreans) seem visibly Christian.

A huge part of why I'm writing this is because Columbia is so frequently compared to Princeton, Yale, and Harvard by my friends. I believe this is because all four schools are basically on the same footing academically (caliber of faculty, rigor of programs, grad school acceptance rates, ect.), but comparing these three to Columbia, you get a wildly different outcome socially. This often really disappoints people, but I believe it can be a wonderful environment for a very particular sort of student and I hope people come here well-informed.

Largely, yes - albeit the Princeton or Yale bit. I feel Columbia was the first choice of so many of the people I've met here. Also, the campus is huuuuuuuugely Asian.

From what I gauge, academics are generally a student's first priority here. Our largest library is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there are always people writing, sleeping, eating, or often - literally - living there. The Core is Columbia's academic hallmark. It's difficult to estimate students' overall opinion of the Core. It constitutes such a major courseload (roughly 1/3 of your classes here) so that you are bound to have the world's most pretentious, esoteric, grad student for a teacher in what has to be the University's worst discussion section at some point in your Core experience, but the opposite is equally possible. Overall, people seem to love academics for academics sake.

I believe the visible aspect of student politics (protests, ect.) has really died here and Greek life has been on the rise this year. The largest group is the Jewish organization, Hillel. Athletics here are very poorly attended. Socially, people meet people through student groups and first-year housing. Parties are generally pretty lame, but securing alcohol is rarely a problem. Clubs aren't really an option in NYC until you actually are 21 (no one's going to take your "Maine driver's license"). People enjoy our free museum passes throughout the city, along with the shopping and food. Central Park is rather close and Riverside Park gives a very flattering view of Jersey.

The prototypical Columbia student is an independent, well-read, secular Jew, slightly hipster Econ-Poli Sc major, who didn't get into Princeton or Yale.

Lydia

The beauracracy is ridiculous. Ridiculous. Simple tasks like getting a financial aid check signed would take three trips to four different offices. And they lost my paychecks a few times.

I was able to explore intellectually with like-minded students and faculty who actually cared about the subjects at hand. I took classes ranging from music history to the history of philosophy. My entire class took two full years of the same seminar courses, so that we could stay up late in our dorm rooms arguing about what Adam Smith really meant and whether or not we believed Freud?s theories. At graduation, the speaker made a joke about Boccaccio, and the entire graduating class laughed. There are very few colleges left that dare to maintain base curricula of major texts for every student to learn, even the biology majors. I went to the Met, MoMa, the Guggenheim, and P.S. 1 for free for four years. I took a class with Orhan Pamuk after he won the Nobel Prize. My roommate heard Iran?s President Ahmadinejad speak in person. Even after I?ve graduated, most of my professors still make time to have coffee with me and check how I?m doing.

I really got to interact with professors who continue to help me follow my career path. The faculty is outstanding, if you have the wherewithal to really get to know them and ask for help.

Luz-Maria

Columbia University provides the option of receiving a second bachelor's after years from receiving my first bachelor's degre...

Columbia University provides the option of receiving a second bachelor's after years from receiving my first bachelor's degree.

Breathe. There's no need to go away to school and have a career immediately after graduation. You enjoy travel. Work! You're young and you're able to get a position waiting on tables or as part of a kitchen staff. Retail is not your thing so don't bother. Earn the money required that will allow you to visit the South American and European countries that you read about in The Unbearable Lightness of Being and Gabriela, Clavo y Canela. Once you're in those countries, breathe again. Enjoy it and I mean give yourself over to the experience, the aromas, the voices around you, the colors, the warmth or coldness of the people, and give back. Remember, you're in their country and a person's home is sacred. You will meet people and discover all the wonderful things you're capable of because you're living instead of waiting to live. After your time away, you might decide to go to either a college or university or you might not. Either decision works because it's your decision and only you answer to you.

Because of the rigourous coursework, only a select few are accepted and that places us in an elite group of ambitous individuals.

Columbia University in the City of New York administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.