Columbia University in the City of New York

« See more reviews of Columbia University in the City of New York

Honestly, Columbia's student body is as diverse as a student body can be. It is probably the exciting diversity of New York City itself that draws such an eclectic, interesting group of students together. Students are of all different cultural and financial backgrounds, with interests ranging from African Studies to Metaphysics. Every student is so different and so intelligent in one way or another also: my group of best friends here includes a girl who can fluently speak three languages and is learning a fourth, a girl who starts on Columbia's fencing team and was on the U.S. National fencing team, a girl who is President of the sophomore class at Barnard College and is involved in about half of the clubs on campus, and a coxen on the crew team who is also a whiz in math.

Columbia is predominantly a left school, with most of the students coming from the Northeast, or Far West. Columbia is proud to boast its diversity, but it's more of a racial nature than a socio-economic. Most of the kids I've met went to private schools. I'm not saying everyone's rich, but they definitely make me feel poor. It's hard to say what Columbia kids dress like. Some sloppy, some classy, trendy, dated, etc. Regardless of how you dress, when you come out of the cuts with something unusual or especially nice, people will let you know. It's not rare to get compliments. In fact, that's one of the things I like best about Columbia. Almost everyone I've met has been nice. Not just friendly, but polite, empathetic, and fascinating to talk to.

The student body here is vicious. As seen from a recent website JuicyCampus.com our student body can be seen as incredibly hateful. Of all the ivy league schools Columbia names the most full names and says the nastiest things. While the student body is obviously driven, as a whole they are very out for themselves and pretty unwilling to help. While there are some great kids, they get bad reputations because they know how to balance school and enjoying themselves. The school as a whole is incredibly judgemental and for being so diverse it is incredibly racist as well. Overall I would say the majority of people here are mean spirited, jealous, and malicious, while thinking way too highly of themselves.

So some of the students here are a little socially awkward. I think some of them studied so hard to get in here that they haven't really had a lot of opportunities to interact with people. That being aid, not everyone is like that. No matter what you're interested in you'll definitely be able to find your niche. I was just surprised how many students were not exactly "street smart" when I arrived on campus. Also, because this is New York a lot of students do tend to dress for class. Not that many students come to class in their pajamas because not that many students want to walk across Broadway in their pajamas in front of everyone to reach their first class.

Though some people are really intense about grades and spend their life working, there are also a lot of really fun and interesting people. Actually, i've met some of the smartest people i've ever met here. people are aware of the world that surrounds them and use critical thinking which is the MOST important thing. But there are definitly those who use no critical thinking and just read books or memorize lectures to get good grades, not to actually LEARN for themselves. So basically there are the workaholics, and then there are the partyish people. its a pretty good balance and i think everyone finds someone of their liking!

The students at Columbia University come from all backgrounds; the diversity extends beyond that of religion and race. Columbia usually has an incoming class with students from all 50 states and over 90 countries; each student brings unique talents and attributes to a particular class. Columbia is also very generous in its financial aid policies, allowing students with an underprivileged background to attend without going into debt. Each individual is able to learn a lot from his or her peers; the diversity at Columbia is truly astonishing and only paralleled by a few other colleges and universities.

As I wrote before, you name it, we have it. Students who speak every language, who have fascinating stories to share, from every side of the political and religious spectra, it's all here. Admittedly, we do lack the sort of economic diversity that I was hoping for, but I think it's a direction that the University is trying to head in, to encourage students of many different financial circumstances to apply. The University's financial aid policies are top notch, and money should never be a reason for someone not to apply.

The students are amazing and can talk about everything from current TV shows, celebrities, and pop music to the most philosophical, theoretical, analytical, and abstract topics in any academic subject. They can even theorize and analyze TV shows and pop music. Columbia students are from all over the U.S. and all over the world. Name any hobby or interest under the sun and I'll guarantee you that you can find a Columbia student who knows a lot about it and engages in it.

You will find literally every time of student at Columbia - from all over the world, all racial and religious backgrounds, with a mix of socio-economic backgrounds, and much support for the LGBT population from most sides (although the conservative side is also very active). Everyone will find a place here! Money is very much a motivating focus especially for entrepreneurship and economics-studying students.

Columbia students are extremely diverse and extremely open-minded about race, religion, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. You can always meet someone new and, after a conversation with that person, see the world from a whole new perspective. You will meet people who think in a completely different way than you. Most students are extremely politically active, predominantly liberal.