Columbia University in the City of New York Top Questions

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Elaine

Sports are not a huge part of Columbia. The main sports center is uptown, so it is rather inconvenient to get there. Columbia doesn't have that much sports pride, but going to games to cheer for your friends can be a lot of fun.

f

Unfortunately, Columbia students do not pride themselves on their sports teams. In fact, there is little school spirit and attendance at sports events. There is a general attitude that many of the athletes are less intelligent/less deserving of going to this Ivy League. I have to give credit to the Columbia athletics department, though. they are really trying to improve accessibility and attendance. Yearly Basketball Mania is a lot of fun, as is Homecoming (which is a big event for Greek life)

The sports scene is essentially non-existant here. People will occasionally go to football or basketball games, but because those teams have a tradition of losing (and losing big), most students do not care at all. I personally like to go to the games because I have friends on the team, all the events are free, and they give out tons of stuff (t-shirts, etc.). However, most people choose to avoid the teams at all costs.

A Sophmore talks about the reasons why he enjoys attending Volleyball games on-campus including the spirit at the game, free things, and the entertainment.

A Junior talks about the atmoshere at Basketball games, making them his favorite sporting event on-campus.

A freshman discusses how much she enjoys participating and attending Track and Field.

A freshman talks about her favorite parts of attending basketball games at Columbia, including the atmosphere at sporting events.

A Columbia student talks about her favorite athletics event on-campus, Field Hockey, and her enjoyment in watching it.

A Columbia student discusses the benefits and drawbacks of playing varsity basketball at Columbia University, as well as the attitude towards sports at Columbia.