Columbia University in the City of New York

« See more reviews of Columbia University in the City of New York

If you are not a dedicated student and you do not have a passion for learning, Columbia definitely is not the right school for you. At Columbia, you are completely surrounded by faculty and students that are truly passionate about what they're studying. Even if it's not a class relating to their major, everyone is still passionate about learning in general. Columbia is a hard school, and the only way to survive and do well is to be a hard worker. You shouldn't attend Columbia is you aren't going to be dedicated to your studies.

Columbia is an academically rigorous school, and the professors demand a lot out of you. Even the relatively "easy" classes have heavy reading workloads. Students here are extremely competative and aware of the prestige of the school, and so everyone orients their social life around studying and preparing for classes. So, if you're no the kind of person that likes to end each day with a few hours in the library, and devote at least a day every weekend to reading/writing, this probably isn't the place for you

A person who is not willing to put in effort to absorb the wealth of knowledge, new ideas and resources and opportunities available to them. As well as that a person who is unwilling to collaborate with the greatest minds to achieve their potential. A person who is not stimulated by the world of academics and intense intellectual conversations, delving deep into subject areas, they should not consider this school.

A student who is easily discouraged by others will not fit well at Columbia. Students here are cut throat, doesn't mean that they aren't nice, but they will try to dissuade you from achieving what you want. New York City is also not a city for the faint of heart because it is fast paced, busy yet you feel secluded from everyone, and dirty.

Anyone closed minded and not willing to accept other people's views and values should not attend Columbia University, for Columbia is a place of acceptance and equality no matter what race, creed, sex, or orientation a person may be. Equally respecting all human beings is one of Columbia's most cherished quality by all of it's students.

Anyone and everyone should attend college, especially one like Columbia. I am not a rich person, nor do I come from a high profile, wealthy family. I just put my heart into my application and was accepted. I know it will be a great asset when going out into the work force after I graduate.

Columbia is a wonderful place for anyone to attend, but it's especially well-suited to students who value an urban environment that can still provide a safe haven for critical thought and examination of previously unquestioned assumptions.

Non-creative students should not attempt to enter Columbia. You should not try to enter Columbia University if you are not able to adapt to a new environment. And, of course, you should have great working capacities.

Someone who is used to having "the system" function and provide resources and services. Columbia's bureaucracy had to put in an effort to be this obstructive and useless. You will not be getting any help from them.

Someone close minded. There are so many opportunities that would be wasted on someone who refuses to try new thigns or meet new people. Someone who doesn't like the city should not attend.