Columbia University in the City of New York

« See more reviews of Columbia University in the City of New York

I was pleasantly surprised to encounter the sense of community that naturally arises in Columbia students. Prior knowledge of this tendency would have put to rest many of my social apprehensions, as I have seen myself and most other freshmen easily drawn into their own niches. There is no need to be fearful of allegedly pretentious, solely and freakishly academic units that might be thought to compose the student body. I have found myself in the midst of the most diverse, lively, and remarkable group of kids.

It's hard to make friends here. Make sure you join clubs and go to events and meet people with common interests. A lot of students here also spend way too much time in the library, which admittedly is very beautiful, but there is nothing wrong with going to a club or bar or frat party now and then. You don't need to take the hardest classes or get a perfect GPA to get accepted to the grad school of job of your dreams. What is more important is passion, so do research or an internship.

I was from the rural midwest. I was not prepared for the careerist attitudes that so dominated Columbia College, at least in 1977. Either I needed to go to a place that was more in tune with learning for its own sake, or else I needed to decide that I was primarily concerned with getting a degree that would impress people.

I've found that this school is more about finding out what you want to do and getting a broad education that I had hoped for. Though I value this, I wish that there were more opportunities specifically in the field I'm interested in (musical theatre) rather than being forced to take classes I have no interest in.

I wish I knew that I was going to be this broke right now. The stress caused by financial problems can take its toll. I love going to this school but the amount of money it costs to attend this university makes me think twice sometimes; considering the fact that I must bear my financial burden alone.

I wish that I had understood the financial aid program a bit more. My package was cut dramatically between my 1st and 2nd year and every year after that. I foolishly presumed that the package I got coming in as a freshman was applicable to all 4 years.

Looking back at my highschool self, I wish I would have known that all plans change. There is nothing set in stone, no matter how much you plan. I also wish I would have known to belive in myself more and be more confadent in my choices.

how is the life there ? is it like to my life ago . i know it will be better . i hope that . moreover , how is the studying life . i think if i can to get what i want . i will do for that .

Some students are a little scared of the city and don't take advantage of all the things going on downtown. I wish I would have done more off-campus things first semester.

That pre-dental/pre-medical is extremely hard. Prepare to study a lot during college. Also, while it is great to get involved on campus, do not go in over your head.