Community College of Denver

« See more reviews of Community College of Denver

Hey Angie, you are on the right track. The Air Force is a great option for you at this point in your life. Anyone who volunteers to fight for this country should be commended and your four years of service is remarkable. As far as your dream to be a Dental Hygienist, go for it! Don't worry about the financials. Apply for as many grants and scholarships as you can, and use federal student loans for the remainder. Money should never be a barrier for anyone to pursue further education. Your desire to work in the dental field and help people is awesome, and every student should be motivated by your desire to serve the public, especially those in financial need. Definitely participate in "Colorado Mission of Mercy" - you will be amazed at the outpouring of love and support that flows through the people who organize and work this incredible mission for those in extreme need. Every bit of caring work is volunteered by local Dentists, Assistants, and Hygienists, as well as non-medical volunteers. This past year, when I first participated, was so moving for me, I can't describe in words the feelings I experienced. Do it!

Moving from your comfort zone to a new town with new people can be very exciting, but can also be a stressful and emotional journey. Being prepared for your new surroundings will be very important! If you live far from campus, it will be wise to get a reliable bicycle. Even if you have a car, a bicycle in a college town is a staple item! Even if you are almost certain what your major will be, make sure to keep your general education classes as general as possible; if you have to take a psychology course, take Intro to Psychology! Try to avoid taking too highly specified of a course as you may run into problems if you change your major or continue your education (i.e. Masters degree, second Bachelors degree, etc.)! The most important advice I would give is to study hard ESPECIALLY when you are a freshman and sophomore. Do not blow off your "easy courses," getting an "A" in these classes will really boost your overall GPA and give you a little cushion room when you have courses that are extremely difficult. Have fun! Make friendships that will last a lifetime!

Everyone says to make the most of your senior year of high school and live life to the fullest. I don?t disagree with this but I do think there is more to it than that. Having taken a difficult load of classes my senior year, I felt like I was more prepared for the expectations that college held compared to some of my friends that chose to take fewer, easier classes. After finishing three years of college now, I have learned that college is a lot more difficult than high school because no one makes you try; it?s up to you to have the desire to succeed. Maintaining focus and discipline throughout your senior year will help develop good habits that will make it easier to achieve your goals in college without worrying about having to relearn things you would have learned by putting more into your last year of high school. My advice is to take advantage of high school, not just because it?s easier, but because it?s your last chance to have someone to help push you through the difficulties of learning that will make you a better student and person in the end.

Walking into that classroom of twenty-five plus students is overwhelming. But, as long as your head is held high and you keep telling yourself? How will what I do in 10 minutes, 10 months, or even 10 years? affect my life, you will be fine. I believe what I know now would have helped a little. If I could go back in time, I would have changed just a little bit; like setting short and long term goals in advance. You need to set these goals so you can watch your progress and keep yourself on track. College is an expense that needs to be planned out. I would tell myself to use any extra money I have toward the goals. I would suggest opening a saving account just for college; having this account started before I felt home will benefit me in the long run. I would inform myself the process in which I should take to mentally prepare myself for this exciting journey. But, changing too much would have changed how I have turned out, and who I am now. The creative, upbeat, loving, smart person I am only comes from the mistakes I have learned from.

Dear James, College life will embrace and validate you in every way you can imagine. College is the place where you will establish a solid foundation in music and understand and answer all the questions that music has to offer. However, the relationship you have with drugs and alcohol will not support a successful academic career. You will waste more time and money if you do not embrace a course of life that will support great achievement in college and in life. Therefore, I am strongly suggesting that you begin to develop a relationships with the people in Alcoholics Anonymous. They are people just like you in the way they feel and think. You will be able to relate to the people in AA in an intimate way. Trust me in this advice. You will excel in the academic environment, that will actually be the easy part for you. You need the people that I have suggested to you because your brain is fine. It is the emotional and spiritual support that you will find in AA that will make your higher education experience a real success.

I would have started off by reminding myself that education is the best tool necessary in success. To be a successful person, a successful member of the community, and a successful family member. I would have also told my high school self that change is good and that transitions happen reguarly in life, to take it as the next step and to roll with the punches. Everyone can attend college and transitioning straight into it would be easier than doing it ten years down the road. All lessons are learned through life, but armed with the proper education we can take and learn those lessons the first time. Another good word of advice to my high school self would be to stand up for what I believe in and take the road less traveled. To reach for my goals and not listen to the "nay-sayers," and surround myself with people who are also following their dreams. With the support of them it will make the road a little less bumpy. And most of all, Be Yourself. There is no one else in the world who is you....Be proud of that.

"You can be anything you want to be, as long as you set your MIND to it.? College is the transition, the assist, to making what you want as a career become a reality. It is your time to develop your skills and evolve into the person you want to become. Considerations when pursuing a career through college include, how long will it take me to finish? Will it be worth the money? Is there a future in my chosen career? All of these questions are important, but I think the best piece of advice I could have given my high school self would have been, ?Be passionate about your career choice!? The last piece of advice I could offer my former self refers to the same quote as above. Putting your MIND to something means giving one hundred and ten percent of your effort, even when it means cutting into your free time, changing habits, honing in on study skills, and managing your time wisely. If you want to be that man you envision, put in more than you could ever get out, then you will have truly set your MIND to it.

Hey you, Margie. What are you up to today? Ooh, going to a party tonight. But it’s a school night. Well I just hope you studied harder than you party. Can’t wait to graduate, can you? Being able to do what you want all the time. No parents to nag at you all the time and treat you like a child. Well, you know that college isn’t all fun and games. You can’t take off anytime you want or turn in late work. This is serious stuff here, no lame excuses for anything. Don’t forget to pack your manners along with your alarm clock. Study, study, study. Show everyone how smart you are and how great your parents raised you. College can be pretty overwhelming at first. Don’t worry try to take advantage of all the activities and clubs you could join. You’ll make plenty of new friends. You’ll meet all kinds of people. It will help make you a more rounded person. Make every one proud of you. Study hard, participate and graduate! Oh, one more thing, drinking and drugging could end you up in the hospital or worse. Dead.

The first advice i would give myself would be to relax! When i was a senior teachers and other students made college seem like one of the most stressfull times in ones life. The experience has been all the contrary to me. I would also tell myself to not plan out the next four to five years of my life. College is a time to make many different choices about life which will most likely change your plans more than twice. Another piece of advice i would give myself would be to learn to take as many learning or working opportunities as possible. Internships and volunteering is always a great way to get your mind away from school and stress, and also serves as a way to network or even make friends with different people in your community. Finally i would tell myself that college life is what you make of it and to really enjoy it you have to remember that you must make school a priority before anything else. When school related tasks are finished everything else seems alot easier and enjoyable.

You're worried about what girl you'll be dating next, what's going on this weekend, or what you’re going to do for summer break. I have some advice for you. It's not work hard, get good grades, or stay active. I’m not going to tell you to only focus on school, or to go to the army and learn discipline. I want to tell you to take time. Take time for the here and now. Take time to understand what you've learned each day. Take time to go over your notes from each class. Take time to reflect on what it is that's important to you. Take time out of your day to become more spiritual. Take time to empathize and become more in tune with the people around you. Take time for yourself. Breathe. Spend a few minutes each day looking at nature’s beauty around you. Spend time each day thanking god for what you have and be thankful for what you don't. Take time to tell your family you love them. When some wants to talk, turn off the TV, put down the book, TAKE THE TIME, and listen.