Community College of Philadelphia

« See more reviews of Community College of Philadelphia

JaNaya you are now a senior in high school and are at a crucial time in your life where you are about to enter into young adulthood and embark on brand new journeys. Before you embark on your new journey of entering college, there are some things that I want to leave with you that will help you make a smooth transition and help you survive throughout your college career. I first advise you to learn how to properly manage your time. You will quickly find yourself having multiple task and assignments with deadlines in close proximity of one another. If you learn to give yourself enough time to complete each task thoroughly, you will save yourself from facing uneccessary situations. In addition to this, remember to network and stay academically strong. Keeping a strong GPA and networking with a variety of individuals will afford you excellent opportunities during and after your college career. Also be sure to get a mentor and get involved in community and extracurricular activities. Finally, remember the values you have been taught, have a positive outlet for stress, embrace and appreciate new experiences, and never let anything stop you from achieving your dreams.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senoir I would certainly have a lot to say. I was not a traditional high school student; half way through my junior year I decided to finsh through a correspondance school. By doing so, I was able to devote half my time to school and the other half to working. At the time I thought this was the most practical thing to do, however, looking back I think a little differently. Also, entering into a college career was something I had hardly ever considered, I knew from the start that my parents would not be paying for it and it just seemed finacially unatainable. If I could go back I would tell myself to focus more on school than work, I would tell myself to start applying for grants and scholarships, and that you are the very best thing to invest your money in. I would instill strong values of self worth and independence in my younger self . All in all I would tell myself that you will eventually come to understand the tremendous advantages in attending college and to look at the big picture.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the most important advice I would give myself is to never take school education for granted. First of all, I would tell myself to really work hard in school, because every grade I receive is important. I remember a time during senior year, where I failed a vocabulary test and I thought to myself, it doesn't matter, because it's only the begining of the school year. Second, I would tell myself to ask my counselor more questions about colleges, scholarships and grants. I was really clueless during high school, of how much help and resources I could have gotten during my senior year. If only knew back then about all the different kinds of grants and scholarships that I qaulified for, I wouldn't have to worry about money for school like I do now. Finally, I would tell myself that I shouldn't feel like I wasn't good enough to get into a good college, because I graduated from a high school in a low income, urban area.

As a second-degree nursing student if I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have re-evaluated my career choices. Reflecting on my most recent experience in the legal field, I know for a fact that I needed to be paired with something as fresh, demanding, and limitless as the person that entered into college. College life goes so quickly, so although I excelled academically and socially, I wish I would have thought long and hard about my career goals after college. What was I looking for in a career, and was my current path going to help me to accomplish that? Now that I have found nursing, I believe that I have found the career that best reflects who I am. I am able to help others, continue to learn new things, and able to work in an array of settings. But you learn from your mistakes, therefore I have no regrets. Unfortunately, I just had to figure out what I disliked before I found my like! But if I could turn back the hands of time, I would have saved time and went straight into my dream career.... Nursing!

If I could go back and time and give myself advice, the first thing i will tell myself be prepared mentally and physically for college. Why ? because in college sometimes it may become so overwelming due to stress of exam's and studying the right information. which can make you be pretty hard on yourself. Another advice i will give myself is to get involved in the clubs/organization 's or sports or a greek life that best interest you. These thing's will help you make long time new friends and so you wont feel alone or home sick. I'm a food lover and another advice I will give myself is to watch what I eat. Because the freshmen 15 is no joke and yes it's actually true, however still enjoy the food and workout everyday to keep your body healthy to fight off any colo that co7uold be going around. The last advice is if your going to have sex, use protection because in college a lot of sexually transmitted di3ease's going around. Be smart and choose wisely of your sex partner and get to know them first,. MJost of all enjoy college.

You're stressed, I know. You feel that you should've prepared more for the SATs. You wish you had joined more clubs, done more volunteer work, and maybe handed in that one really important project in on time. You still don't know what school you want to get into , how you're going to pay for it, or, heck, what you want to do for the rest of your life. I want to tell you something. It's ok. So many students are going through the same struggle you are! Sure, there are some students who deserve Olympic medals and Nobel prizes for being so awesome and doing so much, but YOU have so much potential too! DO NOT underestimate yourself! We are all unique. Seek out the schools that value you for YOU. Do not let financial concerns prevent you from seeking out the best for YOU. Search for as many scholarships as you can! Don't worry, you'd be surprised by how many you qualify for. I know this process is so new and scary! But I guarantee you, you'll soon meet so many incredible people that will change your life forever!

If I knew what I knew now about making the transition from high school to college life, I would have only one piece of advice for myself. That is: LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS! Although a lot of times what they say may sound crazy 99.9% of the time when it comes to making a decision about your well being a lot of times their right. All throughout high school my parents were big on me ?acting like a adult?. Telling me that being adult doesn?t mean staying up all night because you can. That school, is my number one priority and to learn and know my boundaries. When you get to college you realize just then what your parents mean. You realize that staying up all night is not an option when you have finals. That even though you may live on campus and ? what daddy doesn?t know won?t hurt him?, you don?t go to that frat party with the guy from your chemistry class or take that joint that?s being passed around. You start to realize that mom and dads constant nagging in your ear is why I can write this essay today.

Important advice I would give to myself is to apply for as many scholarships as I can. The reason why is because I know that as a senior in high school I'm going to become the first person ever to audition and get accepted into Millersville's Music program as a Hip-Hop Artist. Also I know that without those scholarships I won't be able to go because I won't be able to find a creditworthy cosigner. As a result, it will lead to days of depression, tears of failure and feelings of letting myself down. And eventhough I'll end up attneding Community College of Philadelphia until I gain the money to go back; it will be much harder and mentally difficult to continue moving forward. So if I could give myself any advice, it would most definitely be to fill out as many scholarships as I can. So that I won't have to worry about any set-backs or crying because I feel lost without any solution since I can't afford to go to Millersville University. And I'll be able to go when I'm supposed to without worries.

To go back in time and talk to my former high school self would take little time but much patience. I would like to think that I would sound somewhat like this: It is of the utmost importance to stay on top of all paper work, from typed essays, to financial aid forms, to quiz grades, to those little post-it notes that are placed into your books to reinforce studying. Another important idea that is especially hard for high school students (ie. my former self) to grasp is the fact that people in college care about your college success almost as much as that paper work you have to keep track of. Students have different goals to achieve and different ways of pursuing said goals. Most of them are going to make the most of their money and do it their own way as should you. Faculty and staff get paid whether you pass your courses or not so although it is healthy to have a good relationship with your teachers and peers, ultimately, you make your own academic achievements and failures in school.

I would probably tell myself to seriously think about my career choice before I graduate. In H. S I did not know what I wanted to be and I was very confused. In my senior year I stopped caring and stopped coming to school ever since I was diagnosed with scoliosis and started getting intense migraine headaces 4x a week. I did not graduate with my class but I did graduate from summer school 2 months later. Then when I graduated I just started to work for a year and wasted a year just figuring out a career choice. If I could do it all over I would take senior year more seriously and apply for more scholaships, colleges, and come to school and deal with pain. I still have the same pain but I have determination and I am a great student in college with a 3.39 GPA. The main thing I would really tell myself is to study hard, follow the path to nursing and aim higher. That is something my mom always told me was to aim for the sky and I keep that good advice with me always.