Concordia College at Moorhead Top Questions

Out of all the advice I'd give my high school senior self about what to expect and prepare for in college life, the most important two would be to apply for more scholarships and to not procrastinate so much. Applying for scholarships is something my high school senior self didn't take as seriously. I applied to some, but should have applied to far more than I did. I felt okay my freshman year, but after my mom lost her job this past year it is hitting me much harder that the extra financial aid would have greatly decreased money-induced stress in myself and my family. Student debt is something all college students face, but it's really something I should have thought about more back then to help circumstances now. Procrastination is another thing that all college students face. It's a very easy habit to fall into, and I would urge my senior self to keep focus on what's important. Have fun; but don't let that hurt your grades. Some general advice I'd give myself is to be more open to people; make friends, college is a great time to do so.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would stress the importance of studying and time management. I have learned that in college half the battle is learning how to manage your time and do an efficent job studying. I would prepare myself by not being such a procrastinatior and trying to get into a good habit of getting my work done early, instead of right before the deadline. Studying is a big portion of college as well. I did not study a great deal in high school but when I got to college, I was soon taught that I can not go into a test without studying.

Ellie

As a high school student, I made a point to take a lot of advanced placement courses, focusing on college preparation. I was also involved in sports and music--two things I really enjoyed. As a result of spending my time on those efforts, I didn't have a chance to take many elective courses. If I had the benefit of hindsight, I may have taken some elective classes as a way to explore other interests. Things such as business classes, computer science, courses in the medical area, and other electives may have broadened the scope of my knowledge for pursuing a major in college. In addition, I would have made a point to take advantage of every job shadowing opportunity available and sought out community members who worked in professions that sparked my interest. In essence, I would have taken the advice from our school counselors who provided opportunities for us to seek out and develop career interests and gone a step further by making this my priority! However, since my focus was on college prep coureses, I didn't get a chance to take some of the elective classes

Kendra

I would tell myself not to worry so much, but to work more. I would tell myself that college really is better than high school, but it's lots more expensive. I would tell myself to believe in myself, because I really could succeed. I would tell myself that college is just the next stepping stone to somthing greater!

Kassondra

I would tell myself that I really should have found scholarships earlier and finished them earlier, because my choice of schooling was expensive and I would need all the help I could get. I would tell them that double majoring and double minoring was nigh impossible, and that I'd better choose what I really wanted. I'd tell them that there was unlikely to be any space for Japanese and that learning it would be easier said than done. I'd tell them that hey, that Studio Art major isn't that bad yet--it's nice to be able to sit down and make art, to get away from the normalcy of the college homework load. I'd tell myself not to overstretch myself, and that while striving for perfection can be good, it doesn't mean that breaking down upon not reaching that perfection is okay. I'd tell them that hey, working is good for you, but don't work to the point that all you do is work and school--having time off is good for you. And then I'd tell myself, "You can do it! Keep it up."

Kendra

I would tell myself to relax. I remember being so worried about applications and scholarships and deadlines and scary roommate stories that I almost forgot to look forward to the actual college experience (and I certainly forgot to enjoy my last year in high school). Not that all of that isn't important, because it is. But I honestly love where I'm at and it's been worth all of the struggle, efforts, financial strain, and other stresses that it might have caused. I would tell myself that even though everything seemed scary, it would all work out and be better than I was even hoping it would be, and that the friends and experiences I would create in college would be totally worth the stress it was causing me at the time.

james

Denton, Im coming to you as yourself in the future. LISTEN to me bro. Take that one law class they offered at Liberty, dont listen to what your parents, your teachers, or anyone says about you man. TRY REALLY REALLY hard in school. Dont go get on the minimum plan find a way to get help on Pre-cal tutors whatever you got to do. The ideas and philosphies you have on life are that of a modern day Mahatma's Ghandi, or Martin Luther King Jr. thats why there looked upon so weirdly by people above you, or others who are materialisticaly rich. Thats why you find yourself at peace with yourself unlike them. The way you see the world is the right way in spite of what your told. ALWAYS strive for the senator job and eventually a presendiatal office man. You can do it! DONT GIVE UP

Paula

Hindsight, is 20/20, or so I've experienced. I am 34 years old. I graduated high school almost 17 years ago. I would have told my "younger" self to buckle down, stay focused, and study hard..... save your money, and figure out what you want to do with your life, because before you know it, life passes you by, and you may end up in a dead end career, wishing you pursued other avenues or disciplines. My advice would be, to not regret any decisions, but learn little lessons from each situation and experience. Live in the moment, but never lose focus of your goals. Be good to people, and be good to yourself. Develop short termm, and long term goals for yourself, and make steps to accomplish them. Being proactive for your future, whether seemingly insignificant at the time, will reap large rewards in the future. You will never fail with attaining an education.

Katie, Everything currently feels hectic and overwhelming. Just know that feeling doesn't last. Once you go off to school, you'll find your niche and be surrounded by intelligent, open-minded, wonderful people who will support you and become lasting friends. Keep up with your schoolwork and try not to fall behind. Know that you can always talk to a professor if you are struggling, in or outside of class, and they will do their best to help you. The professors you'll meet are incredibly caring towards their students and passionate about what they teach. They are always willing to help. Don't pass up all of the great resources on campus. If you need some extra help emotionally, go to the counsling center. If you need help acadmically, go to the professor, the writing center, or a tutor. If you need support, go to any of the places/people listed above as well as your classmates and your family. Do not forget to call and talk to your family. They helped get you to where you are today, and they miss you. Be thankful for all that you have and always push yourself to be better. -Katie

Valery

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself a few things: First of all, I'd tell myself to not rush into buying textbooks and other "required" items for classes. Sometimes you won't even use them, and it's money down the drain. Third, I'd tell myself to get involved with the school! I wish I had been involved in a club or a sport, looking back. Also, ACCEPT the invitation from the Honors Society! I'm regret not doing so. Most importantly, I'd tell myself to just go through school and not complain! Don't consider quitting, and stop thinking college is pointless and a waste of time. It's not. Education is a powerful, beautiful thing. Embrace it from day one. Your degree is something that will stay with you for your entire life, and nobody can ever take away your experiences and knowledge away from you. Also, realize how lucky you are to even have the chance to go to school. Many people in the world do not have that luxury. Be more grateful, be more involved, and enjoy the ride.

Cherae

Even though you are smart and think you are ready for college, nothing can prepare you for it. Everthing will change, some for the better and some not, but it will all make sense in the end. Working hard is the only way to get through it all and maybe you will keep your major or maybe not. Just go with what your heart says, because after college you are stuck with whatever you chose. Do something that will make you want to get up and go to work everyday. Stay true to you and don't change yourself to make others like you. The people who like you for who you are will be the ones who stay in your life. If you continue to work as hard as you are right now, you will make it. There will be those days when you think there is no way you can do it anymore, but you will surprise yourself with all your hard work. Good Luck!

Tisha

I would have told myself to take the morning ITV Sociology and Psycology class. I would have also said to work harder in my AP class so I would get credit for it.

The first thing I would tell myself is to not stop applying for scholarships, because now that I am in college I am realizing that I really need scholarships to pay for my private education. I would then tell myself to not give up during my classes even when they are difficult because it will pay off in the long run. AP Calculus was one of the most difficult classes to get through and I would just tell myself to keep plugging away and get more outside help. I would say that college is not that difficult and the transition was not bad, however I need to be prepared to have a lot more indiidual responsibility put on my shoulders. I would say to work as much as possible because there are so many travel abroad opportunities that should not be passed up. The last thing I would say is to remember to have fun, but at the same time do my work. If you find a way to make studying fun or interesting it makes it a lot more bearable to get through. Just try to relate it to something you find intriguing.

Jakub

I wish i could go back to High School and have done a few things differently. First of all i would try harder academically. I was a pretty good student over all; i had a 3.3 GPA and i have only missed 6 days of school in my 4 years there, but i know i could have done better with my grades. After attending college for 2 years i see how expensive it is and having better grades in high school would really help me get more financial aid in college. The second thing that i would have changed would be being in more after school activities, organizations and sports. That really makes your high school experience much better and enjoyable. It is good to be involved in after school activities. It allows you to meet more people; you develop leadership skills and working as a group is crucial skill in today’s job market. The third that that i would change would be talking to a lot more people in high school and not just my group of friends.

Elise

Only after a semester and a half of college, I have gotten so much out of my college experience. For one, I have completely stepped out of my comfort zone in order to improve my academic and social abilities. Through stepping out of my comfort zone, I have gained many relationships that I would likely not have been given if I had not chosen to attend college. These relationships with professors and students have given me the ability to listen to others and understand other perspectives on life. My college experience has also given me the strength to be independent. Being approximately 750 miles away from home with no relatives or friends from home nearby, I have gained more self-confidence and reliance. I have learned how to live on my own and make decisions that benefit my future and well-being. Attending college is profoundly valuable because not only does it give you a chance to gain your own indepdence, but it allows you to experience that growth with others. College and the experience it entails, provides you with responsibilty, relationships, independence, growth, knowledge and a chance to make your life one that you will love every single day.

Teresa

As I near the end of my two-year degree program at Ocean County College, I am positive that I made the right choice in continuing my education beyond high school. For me, the future is not all about how much money I will make. I used to think that the best thing I could do would be to enter a high-paying technical field and make lots of money regardless of my interests. However, my short time spent at a community college while I gave my future deeper thought revealed that I would not be happy with that goal. I have since decided to follow the riskier path of getting a degree in English. I know that I will need to work harder to stand out, and that finding a job after school will be much more difficult, but my time in college thus-far has shown me who I really am. If I had not taken the initiative to enroll at Ocean County College, and struggled to find a way to support myself financially in the process, I would not be working towards turning my passion for books into a career I can love.

Attending graduate school has been an extremely valuable experience, because it has allowed me to set and achieve goals I previously assumed were beyond my grasp. I was laid off from a job in 2008. This unfortunate turn of events turned out to be the ignition I needed to further my education. I decided to pursue a masters degree in speech-lanugage pathology. Since beginning my program, I have developed a strong passion for the field, and anxiously await the day I can begin serving a diverse range of clients. Personal benefits I have received from my current educational experiences include greater confidence in my academic abilities, more finely tuned interpersonal skills, and the knowledge and insight imparted to me from expert and enthusiastic faculty. In a relatively short amount of time I have had opportunities to research, teach, successfully rise above challenges I would have formerly considered impossible, and make a difference in the life of a child with severe communication limitations. My experiences have inspired me to work beyond my limits. For the first time in my academic career I have achieved a 4.0 grade point average. I hope to similarly inspire others in the futute.

What have I gotten out of my college experience? A lot, that's for sure! I am so much more independent now that I'm off to college. I used to rely on my mother a lot of the times to help me figure stuff out or even do things for me, but now I'm all on my own. And going back home for the summer was just weird, I was used to all my own decision making and rules, that it was hard to ge t back into the old routine of things back at home. This is also the reason why college has been value to attend for me. I needed to start learing how to do things more on my own, and become more of an adult making my own decisions. It has also been valuable because I'm educating myself for my future and slowly progressing to what I would love to do in life.

I have gained significant knowledge in my field of study and have been thoroughly prepared to advance my career as a graduate student. College has given me a great network of people that continuously support me. I have made lifelong friends that always encourage me and push me to achieve more. It has been so valuable to attend college and I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. College has given me the courage, confidence, and experience to succeed in whatever I choose to set my mind to.

My college experience has allowed me to truly discover who I am, and it has prepared me for success in my job and in my community. At college, I met my closest friends and learned what it means to be actively and thoughtfully engaged in the world. The value of college has extended far beyond simply preparing me for my career. I have become passionate about education and am currently preparing to earn my graduate degree. College opened doors for me. If given the chance, I would absolutely do it all over again.

Brionna

I have learned so much and have grown so much as a person. I have also learned leadership skills.

I have learned more about me in this experience than anything else. I have learned to be patient in striving for my degree. I have complained about having to take so many classes, yet I come away more aware and enlightened about every one of them. I have learned perseverence in that no matter what happens in my life college has a great support system to get you back on track. College has helped me to grow intellectually which may not have happened otherwise. I have met some awesome people who like me have a story to tell. I have a sense of pride about going to college, especially since I am the first in my immediate family to attend. My college career has been an exciting one with manymore twists and turns to come, but because I have a few semesters under my belt I am equipped to handle it.

I absolutely love the college experience. It's always in my best interest to further my education. I am currently pursuing my associates degree in Criminal Justice. I will be graduating in the next five months. I would love to return to school to pursue my bachelors degree, unfortunetly I currently cannot afford to put myself through school. I believe schooling is the best foundation to a prosperous successful life. I would love to be able to put myself through law school and achieve the goals I have set forth for myself, but I have come to the realization that I am unable to achieve these goal without financial support.

College is a time to find yourself and to fulfill your potential. Concordia has allowed me to discover what my passions truly are and how to achieve my dreams. Their support system helps all the students make it through the late night study sessions and the cramming before a big test and after college is all over, each student feels a sense of satisfaction. I know that when I graduate from Concordia I will truly feel that my experience in college will never be forgotten. The friends I have made, the places I went, the people I have met, and the experiences I have had, will stay with me for a lifetime. Concordia equipped me with the necessary tools to go into the future being fully prepared and excited to start my life in the real world.

Through college I have become my own person. I know that as a high school senior many students say that they know who they are and that thier parents let them do whatever they want, but I don't think that you can truly know who you are until you ar fully responsible for yourself. I think that coming to college has forced me to grow up and take charge of my own life. I think that going to college is a vital part of becoming a mature adult.

If I went back in time to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be prepared. In high school, I didn't take my school work as seriously as I should have and I procrastinated a lot. I would tell myself to not procrastinate as much and work on homework ahead of time. I would also tell myself to take the music theory class that my high school offered. If i had taken that music theory class, then maybe I would still be persuing my career as a musician instead of English writing. Another thing I would tell myself is to manage my time better between homework and a social life along with other aspects of academic life.

Eleanor

If I could give advise about college to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to prepare for change and take a more active part in getting to know people. As an introverted person, I wait for people to get to know me, and after the first few weeks of college I felt awkward breaking into people's social circles, though I didn't put enough effort in at the beginning of the year. Because I didn't exert a huge amount of effort creating friends, when the all the changes of college officially hit, it made it extremely difficult to find the courage to get through the days, days that were so much different from my days at high school. With all the familiar bonds of highschool lost, and without well made bonds with new college friends, the first few weeks adjusting to my new life was very difficult.

Kalli

Learn to be comfortable about yourself without your high school friends. You have been comfortable with the person you have become, but you do not realize that once your friends are removed from you, you will feel like a lot of yourself has been removed. Spend time now to really investigating the beliefs you hold, and in particular, the reasons behind those beliefs. It's a lot harder to be strong in those beliefs when you have to stand alone. Also, branch out of your comfort zone more. Learn to interact with people who you do not hang out with on a regular basis. There are many different types of people in the world, and if you only learn to interact with a certain group, you might find that you have problems forming lasting relationships once that initial group has been removed from your everyday life. Spend time now to learn to cooperate, get along with, and connect with those different than you.

Krista

I would tell myself to relax. I was stressed out by the idea that no school would want me, even though I took challenging classes and was involved in volunteer work, music and sports. I knew how to balance coursework with activities, but I did not know how to simply enjoy myself. If I were to talk to my former high school senior self, much of the talk would be reassurance and confidence boosting. I love college and being able to specialize in school categories of interest and that has made life much less stressful on me. I would tell this to my senior self and let me know that you are capible of being a successful college student.

I would tell myself two things: 1) You can be who ever you want to be, because no one know who you are. 2) Knowing that I would say to be myself. Know that any mistake, blunder or embarassment will be erased off my slate. I can be free to be me. To be happy, to make new friends and to grow.

I would tell myself that when I go to college, I should experience everything I can. I would highly suggest to myself that being shy is not a good way to start off college. Everyone is nervous, not just me. I would tell myself to say yes even if the idea seems crazy! Thats how I will make my closest friends. I would tell myself to ask for help, from anyone and everyone, it is a life lesson that everyone can be taught.

Don't be shy. Meet people and make friends.

Bonita

I would tell myself that you need to stop procrastinating so much and to try to do better in my college classes in high school. Your GPA that you trasfered your college classes are going to hurt you. I would also tell myself not to worry about the little stuff all the time. Things will work out no matter what and you just need to have faith in the Lord. I would also tell myself to enjoy sports for your last year because you are going to miss them. Also, i would tell myself that when you lose someone you love it is hard to get over but your loved one is in a better place and he is watching over you and will always help you succeed. I would also tell myself to enjoy life and hope for the best. Go out and have fun with your college experience.

Pick a school that reflects the values of who you are and what kind of graduate you would like to be. If the school is artsy and the students tend to drink and socialize, that is fine as long as those are the values you hope to uphold in the future. As soon as you reach your school, start hanging out with the type of people and getting involved with the organizations that you think will help you reach your goals

I would tell myself that it is ok to not be perfect. I would tell myself that yes I will probably bomb a test or two, but in the long run it wont matter. I would tell myself that its okay to cry. I would tell myself that if the problem isnt going to matter 10 years from now then it is probably not that important. I would tell myself that my best friends in high school will probably loose contact with me, but thats okay because i'm going to find new ones. I would tell myself that sleep is needed and that the occasional all-nighter is expected. Alcohol is something everyone tries, but I dont have to be one of those people. There is bound to be another person who has the same opinions as me. And most importantly I would tell myself to be me. If people don't like my personality, well that's their loss. I would tell myself that life is tough sometimes, but everything is better with laughter. I would tell myself that I am a beautiful person inside and out. And I would make sure I believe every word of it!

It's going to be hard. A lot of work, and a lot of stressful nights. Be ready to defend your views and stand up for what you believe in. You will challenged, but those who stand firm to the end will be rewarded!

Brynn

Narrow down your choices by reading mission statements, descriptions of courses and majors, and other brochures or websites the school has, and then visit the colleges that you think will best suit you. Picking somewhere that is within your budget and feels comfortable is probably the most important thing to do. Going to a place you can't afford or don't feel in sync with just because it might have a better reputation is not worth it. Your grades and personal well-being will suffer because of it, and that will bring you down. There are so many decisions to make during your college days, but I personally believe worrying about your finiancial situation or not having any friends is something that you shouldn't have to deal with. Also, I think your parents should help you with your decision; even though you think they don't know anything, you still might be proved wrong one day.

College is a time of so many exciting possibilities. It is a time of new freedoms and new responsibilities. It is a time of challenge and opportunity; a time of change and discovery. A time to spread your wings, and fly. So, how to find the place of your future metamorphosis? The truth is: there are many things to consider when choosing the right college for you. Some great advice I received, is to gather all the information available about schools you may be interested in. Attend college-visits at your high school and talk personally with each representative. It's always great to visit each campus in order to gain a more visual and first-hand perspective. It is often said that an individual simply 'feels' that a college is right for them when they experience the campus for themselves. Most importantly, trust in God and know that He will surely lead you to where you are meant to be. Keep an open mind and an open heart throughout your college experience. This is a wonderful time in your life, as you learn who you are, and become all you are meant to be. Spread those wings, and fly.

Arnold.Andreasen

In.order.to.make.the.most.out.of.ones.education.one.must.look.for.a.college/university.that.provides.the.student.with.the.necessary.tools.for.success. This.means.the.parent.and.the.student.need.to.determine.what.is.financially.available.at.the.time.and.determining.how.much.they.are.willing.to.spend.when.it.comes.to.receiving.an.education. Other.factors.besides.the.price.include.the.feel.of.the.college.This.can.be.done.by.touring.colleges.to.find.out.what.feels.best.for.the.incoming.student.What.is.important.is.to.determine.the.needs.of.the.student.and.how.that.fits.in.with.the.particular.school.that.you.may.be.attending. To.make.the.most.out.the.college.experience.my.advice.would.be.to.enjoy.every.moment.Its.not.everyday.that.you.get.to.attend.a.class.where.you.learn.something.new.and.exciting.everyday.Take.advantage.of.these.opportunities.by.enrolling.in.courses.you.are.interested.in.These.initial.courses.may.be.what.helps.you.decide.what.you.want.to.do.with.your.life.I.know.it.works.because.thats.how.it.was.with.me.

My advice for finding the right college would begin with finding somewhere that feels welcoming and comfortable. Price should not be the first thing we look at when picking a school. If the school is cheap but lacks a warm atmosphere, a student is not going to learn as much. She needs to feel comfortable because she will be there for the next four years. In order to make the most of the college experience I would suggest she become involved in extracirricular activities. Students who are engaged outside of the classroom seem to do better inside as well. Also, many groups and sports teams have a no drug/alcohol policy which will also help her to be more successful with assignments. Besides being motivational extracirriculars will also provide a sense of enjoyment and help her to make new friends on campus.

Jaclyn

Finding the right college is easier than you would think. The right school for you won't be the one with the largest campus or the hight tuition rate that you can afford, it will be the the college that makes you feel at home. It is a cheesy statement, but it couldn't be more true. Once you find the right school for you, your college experience will be what you make of it. Find a group of friends that you can trust, and that have the same morals and beliefs that you do. Make sure to only make decisions that you wouldn't mind telling your parents about. Get involved when you can, and find a balance between studying and having fun, and don't let yourself be overwhelmed. Don't ever be afraid to ask for help. If you follow these rules, your college experience will be everything you have be hoping for. Get out there and start learning!

The best advice I can give to graduates is to not be afraid to go to a college where you know no one. I went to college six hours from home where I knew no one. The result? I have made some amazing friends because I was almost forced to meet and hang out with complete strangers. While it's great to hold on to old friends from high school, the poeple you will meet at college will be an even greater influence on your life. To the parents, all I can say is don't worry so much. It is hard to let your child leave the safety of your home, but it must be done. Let them explore the world and make mistakes to learn from.

There are many colleges out there in United States and globally. In order to find the right college many students visit as many as they can, usually in the region of the United States. I do advise you to expand and look at many colleges around the country. I suggest visiting many colleges in the area that you are planning to visit because it gives you a better understanding of what your personal preferences are in the world. With choosing a college you want to make sure the student takes as much experience out of the learning and developing of their character. This happens during the process of making new friends during orientation week and through classes of their major or in the generals if they are undecided. And with these ways of making friends, help the student become involved through the many campus organizations and the community involvement the campus offers. These are the times that will be cherished and the memories that will last forever. Help your student choose the right campus that fits their personality, lifestyle, and what helps them become involved in the community around them.

Phili?

First and foremost ?arents and students should choose a school that addresses the interests and ?assions of the student. College is one of the few ?laces in ones life where one can truly ex?lore, with avid curiosity and honest interest, without fear of failure. There is ?lenty of time and o??ortunities to discover the classes and major that is most interesting to the student, while also ?roviding a wide variety of liberal arts courses to round out every individual. Finances are ?erha?s the least im?ortant, as financial aid has im?roved and even loans can realistically be ?aid back with most career choices. Dont let the fear of ?aying for school interru?t your dream and ?assion for study. Most im?ortantly college is a ?lace to challenge yourself. Aim high and a??ly to schools that you think are above your ability. Youll be sur?rised when you get in, but also affirmed. Youll be tested and challenged. Bear with it and you will suceed by becoming the ?erson toward which you were already striving. College is about stretching and growing into a res?onsible and dynamic ?erson, with s?ecific and o?timistic goals.

Take this opportunity to be who you want to be. Forget about what you've always been told you're good at. Forget about what's cool. Try as many new things as possible - find out what YOU love. There are so many new opportunities to find out who you are. Don't be afraid to try it all. And always remember: everyone here is looking for friends, you're not the only one who doesn't know anyone. Just relax and enjoy the ride. And PLEASE, don't choose your major based on which career will make you the most money. A career is just a job. Take the time to find your vocation - - that is, find a way to make your passions meet the needs of the world.

I think students should focus particularly on their primary interests and passions. Pursue colleges that excell in these areas, because combining one's passions with a school that will allow one to flourish and grow will result in fulfillment and enjoyment during the college years. Also, look into colleges that will challenge one to go outside of one's comfort zone; I think the most learning and growth happens when things are different or challenging. After evaluating one's passions, I think it's important to weigh out the many aspects of choosing a school, including location, living style, available landscapes or activities, cost, etc. Based on all of these things, one can make an informed, mature college decision. Parents should be a source of guidance in the process of finding a college that is a good fit. They should not seek to control the process, because I think this is an important decision for the student (in terms of learning and maturity). Parents should seek out opportunities to talk openly and honestly about finances as well as the desires of the students, ensuring a decision that is good for both parents and student.

Even if you don't think you would like a school, still go and look at it, if nothing else it will help you figure out what you like and don't like about other schools

My mother always told me, "college is what you make of it". Of course, I never believed her. Which college to attend seemed like the biggest decision I would ever have to make. I weighed the pros and cons forever and even after all that I didn't end up at my first choice school. However, after a full year of college, I can whole heartedly say that I believe "college is what you make of it". It seems like a big decision, and it is, but it's not as horrible as everyone thinks. Every school has great academics, wonderful people, a variety of extra curriculars, and plenty of opportunities to learn and grow in yourself. It's up to you to find and use these things. So, make a list of a few criteria about what is most important to you, and visit schools that meet this criteria. Never underestimate the power of the "at home" feeling. When you find that new "home" . . . you'll know. Your future is "what you make of it", so make it great. You'll find ways to shine no matter where you are. That's how I made the most of college.

People will tell the high school students that they know to tour many schools and one of them will just feel right. In many cases, this truly does work. I toured only one school officially; it was not the school I ended up going to. I went on four other unofficial tours. I prefered just visiting and absorbing the atmosphere, gauging how I would fit in without the intense pressures of a guided tour. The last school I visited was the one that I ended up choosing -- almost from the moment I stepped out of the car! It was small and quaint and a perfect fit for me. The other schools I went to were too big and impersonal. It all depends on the student. Once you start at your school of choice: participate. Join clubs and go to orientation. Even if some of the "get-to-know-you" activities are a little lame and make you feel like you're at camp, it really does break the ice and you end up with an amazing group of friends. And it is completely true that the friends you make in college will be your friends for life!

Tony

Do what feels right, but also look into the quality of the program/feild the student is interested in at that school. You can have fun and get a great education wherever you go, but you need to do what is right for you.