Concordia University-Irvine Top Questions

Hunter

I would tell myself the attendence is one of the keys to sucess in college. I am 3/4 of the way done with my first year and i still have perfect attendence. Going to every class you really retain all the information you need to know for test and quizes with will make o break your grade.

Christian

Dear Me, Always going at life with a solid “plan” is NOT GOOD. Life is not malleable to limits. Realize the whole world is a possibility. Realize the UNKNOWN to the world is a possibility. This is the time to MAKE CHANGE in this world. This is your opportunity to grasp. You can do ANYTHING. I know growing up Ma and Pop always told you that, but the actual meaning of “anything” you never understood. DO NOT be afraid to break away from “the dream” to find YOUR dream. DO NOT be afraid to embrace new opportunities as they arise. DO NOT stick to a plan when it holds you back from the excitement around you. What we call life is only a quest to learn; to learn what is valuable, what is of true meaning. Question all “truth”. Find your understanding. Live life every day as if it will be your last. Laugh at every moment possible, not worrying about a “plan”, but looking at the infinite amount of possible experiences at your fingertips. Love purely, entirely, unconditionally. Follow love. It is the way, the truth, and the life. Christian Woodfin Romans 12:2 1 John 4:7-12

In high school I didnt know much about myself and who I would become. I would tell myself to worry so much about living in my best friends shadow or not being the smartest person in the class. I would tell myself that it's okay to have a little anxiety and worry about things but don't let those things stop you from doing anything. I would also tell myself that the world doesn't end just because you never had a boyfriend in high school or you didn't get all A's in class. I got myself to Optometry school and that's all that matters. Sure there are times I should have studied more or paid more attention in class but at the end of the day all my worrying and anxiety wasn't worth it because I got to Optometry school by being myself.

If I could go back in time and give myself college advice I would tell myself the following: 1.) There is financial aid available. There are scholarships available. Do not be intimidated by tuition costs because there is financial help available. With a little "elbow grease" you can find the financial help you need. 2.) It is okay going to a university without knowing your major. As long as the majors/programs you are interested in are offered, you can work on your general education classes while deciding the best major/program for you. 3.) Do not settle. College is such a large, important, and special time in your life; do not pay money for a college you are not interested in. 4.) Junior college is a viable option. Since you do not want to settle on your university, a junior college could give you the time you need to decide on a school while at the same time help you advance your education. 5.) Remember, financial aid and scholarships are available!

John

Take more confidence in yourself and do not sell yourself short. While high school is all you know now and it may seem like the biggest part of your life, you will come to learn it is one of the smallest parts of your life. Five years out of highschool and all those achievements do not even go on your resume for jobs. Be the most nice and outgoing person you can be. The outgoing people are the ones who take all the awkward moments that come in life and make them fun and memorable. The outgoing people are the ones who will be the most successful. So, make friends, be social while staying on task, and dont be too embarrased or shy to ask or get what you want. Oh yeah, and have fun!

Mark

I would tell myself not to hold back. I would tell myself to dive into school, social events and life. College is what you make of it, and I want to make it as awesome as possible. Those who approach school looking to get the most out of it, will get the most out of it. If I went back and told myself all of this in my Senior Year, my freshman year of College would have been so much better.

Looking back on my high school experince after completing my freshman year of college, I would tell my past self one simple thing: get involved! As a college student, I have founded my own club which benefits other fashion merchandising students attending my college. I also have become a member and voting officer in the Student Union Government Association. I am also a member of the Middlesex Honors Council. I am a Commonwealth Honors student and participate in classes including Honors English and Honors seminars revolving around Middle Eastern culture in an attempt to broaden my social and cultural tolerance. I have recently been nominated for a Middlsex Student Learship role. The role is prestigous and only given to students who "have unique charachteristics, talents and skills". I would tell my past self to become more involved because their is no limit on what you can achieve! Now as I begin to prepare to transfer to a four year school, I am confident that I will continue to be involved and find success!

Ty-Renai

The advice that I would give myself is to not stress about how hard it will be once I get to college. I would tell myself to just trust that I have worked very hard throughout highschool.And that because I have worked hard and have been dedicated to myself academically I will do just fine.It is important not to stress about college,jus tmake sure that you continue to work hard and accomplish the goals you set for yourself.

Matthew

Relax and take your time. College isn't a race. Stay away from UCI and go straight to Concordia.

alisha

I would tell myself to study hard, come to all class meetings on time, be outgoing, and enroll in services offered at school that aim to help your academic performance (tutoring, writing/math help, etc.) even if you don't think you need it. Take the initiative and talk to people if you want to make friends, this improves your college experience, making it more fun. Get to know your professors, you will need them for recommendation letters later, or even a contact for a job. Most importantly, take your education seriously, and apply for as many scholarships during your freetime, you never know what could happen in the future; you could possibly change your mind about the college you are planning to go to which could require more money than originally needed.

Michelle

If i was able to go back into time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there is alot that i would tell myself. Most importantly i would tell myself to find a good group of friend to hang out with, i believe this is very important because it keeps you out of trouble and keeps you focused on why you are in college. I would also tell myself to always stay in contact with all of your teachers on a regular bases, because it shows your interest and keeps you more caught up in your class. Another thing i would advise myself to do is to not bring my ipod to class and keep my phone in my pocket, so you can not get distracted and you pay attention to the material being given in class. Also, a very important thing that i would advise myself to do is to not waiste my time with guys, they are also a very big distraction and most of them (in college atleast) are not looking for a steady relationship, and might as well not waiste your time with something that will cause more stress in your life.

Anthony

Be prepared to work hard but also look foward to the best time of your life.

jamie

Something very important that I would have told myself back in high school is that in college you don't have as many people to lean on. You have to do almost everything on your own. The people who learn independance earlier have a better chance succeeding in college because in the end you can't take all your classes with all of your friends and you won't always have your parents there to finiancially support you or buy the essentials. Independance is important and it is something every high school senior should strive for along with every college student at any age.

If I could write to my stressed out, overwhelmed, fear filled high school self I would tell my self its okay, it all works out. I was looking at college with no money, no social security number, no workers permit, a bad back, a sick mother, a family starting to fall apart along with thinking about the transition and college life. First I would tell my self that life will always be rocky and get in the way of things but my family will work it self out for the better. College is so much less stressful than high school, you won’t get bored, you may get overwhelmed if you don’t stay on top of homework but you’re pretty good at that anyway. When someone compliments you, say thank you. You will find out that you are an Artist and its okay to say so. Don’t worry about “falling behind” in college because you won’t. Don’t worry about picking a school, you’ll pick the perfect one you won’t need to transfer out of. Last of all, tell your step-grandparents you love them, you love them very much.

Dale

Dale, you really need to get your head out of your but. You seem to think that you know it all. The truth is you are throughing away opportunities that you have right now. If you use the God given skills you have and stop waisting your time on self seeking plessures, you might be able to really have a great life. Also you might even be able to inspire others to persue education, dreams, and, goals. Dale you need to realize that life is not all about you, there is a whole world of people out there. So you really need to slow down and get your self focused on life, love, and the Lord. Stop being so selfish and narrow minded, before life passes you by. Just reamember its not all about you. Get yourself educated, be good to everyone and have the greatest life you can. Dont worry be happy. Allways share all the love and happieness you can, because attitudes are contaigess.

Ilona

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and advice myself as a high school senior, I would explain to myself that the difference between doing your best in school and doing just enough to get by is going to turn into hundreds of thousands of dollars, which I will have to pay off later in life (tuition). I would also tell myself to quit the job I had at the time and stop trying to support my family, because focusing on school and receiving good grades will benefit both, my family and I in the long run. I would also advice myself to apply to more schools, because you may change your mind on the university you wish to attend, and applying to more schools will allow you to keep your options open. It would benefit me if I soaked in the greatest amount of knowledge my senior year of high school, because knowledge is what sets people apart from one another in college. The busy work you are forced to complete in high school suddenly transforms into lifelong lessons which you learn in college. Prepare yourself.

Cristine

Knowing what I know now about college, If I had the opportunity to go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definately have some tips and advice to give. I would let my senior high school self know that "whenever things may seem difficult and nearly impossible regarding financial aid and paying for school, just know that there is always a way for you to pay for college". I would give a tip of advice towards learning how to drive and getting a lisence as soon as possible. I would say this because currently, it is difficult for me to pay for housing but, if I had my lisence, I would just commute to school and save money. Also, I would encourage my high school self to pursue my dream and continue a sport in college. I would say this because I now wish I had tried out for a sport here at Concordia earlier. Lastly, I would say to keep an open mind when meeting people and do what you truly have passion for when it comes to school or on a general every day basis.

Christopher

I think I made myself as prepared as possible. I had some health issues my Sr. year and have had vertigo ever since. I don't think there is anything I could have changed about the vertigo, it has just made my life a lot more difficult. Prior to the illness, I was very prepared to start college. Maybe I would have not been so focused on high sholl and grades and had a little more fun before I got so sick.

Jordan

1. College is what you make of it. Take advantage of every opportunity. 2. Get involved with Student Leadership and try to make a difference outside of the classroom. 3. The only thing that calms nerves during a test is knowing you studied and prepared for it. 4. As much as the education is a huge and vital part of college, social skills and outings are just as important. 5. Being an athlete in college is great but don't forget that you are a student first and an athlete second. 6. Do not procrastinate and always try to stay positive about the outcome of exams, assignments etc. 7. Exercise, eating right, and sleeping enough is vital to success and staying health. 8. Short term sacrifice leads to long term acheivement. 9. The hard road leads to the easy life. 10. Four years is a long time to spend on a degree that will not get you anywhere else than next to the other 400 people graduating with the communications degree-- do something difficult and make it worth while. Study Mathematics.

I would tell myself to look into financial aid and scholorships because there are so many opportunities for financial aid and scholarships that I did not know about and I have paid for all my education myself and made many sacrifices so I could afford school. I would actually also tell myself to start thinking about what my college goals were well before my senior year, maybe even start thinking about college in middle school.

The transition from high school to college is an adjustment it can be tough at times because you arent used to being on your own but you just have to think that this is one step closer to finding out what you want to achieve in life, one step closer to your future goal. Setting goals in college is a very helpful tool even weekly goals can help keep you on track. Many students come to college and have found freedom and take advantage of it. Being a college student should be thought of as an honor, a privledge. It takes time to find that perfect balance between studying and being social but in time you will find it. Also getting to know your professors makes it easier to approach them and helps them better understand who you are and what you wish to gain from your college experience. Living with a roomate can be tough at times, my advice is communication when you are comunicating with your roomates it is alot easier to avoid conflict. The best advice i can give is to not give up on your goals but to work at it step by step.

Delano

My college experience has taught me that I can acheive any dream I set my mind to as long as I work hard and stay focused. I also believe it has taught me to give back to those that have helped me get to this point and to look out for future generations so that they can have the same opportunities to achieve what I have or will achieve. It has been valuable to attend college because without it, I dont think that I could have narrowed down what it is that I wanted to achieve nor how to go about making it a reality. There are so many choices and paths to take to one's dream that you need guidaince from those whom have gone before you and paved the way. I not only want to make my dreams come true but to show others in my situation and generations after me that no matter what path you choose or what race you are, that as long as you believe in yourself and strive for the best that you can prosper.

Paige

From the little time I have spent as a college student, I have learned that college is much more than just an education that gears you towards your chosen career path. Granted it does prepare you for a career, but ultimately college defines who you are as a person and allows you to develop into a wise, cultivated and honorable individual. At Concordia I have already made my way into a nexus of highly educated individuals. I have learned how to link the various academic disciplines with one another so that when I graduate I will be knowledgeable as a whole and not just knowledgeable in a specific area of topic. College has a priceless value when it comes down to it and it is preparing me for a successful life.

Alyssa

Though I have only been in college for a few months, I have already gained so much from the experience. Making the transition from high school to college really molded me into an adult. Moving out of my home in Huntington Beach and living on campus in Irvine really pushed me to become more independent. Now that I am on my own, I have truly been able to grow and develop into the person that I want to be. In addition, college has also helped me to grow socially. I grew up in the same city and went to school with the same group of students. Going into college I was forced to find a new group of friends. This really helped me mature, and I have met some of the most amazing people this year. After my first semester of college, I have definitely gained knowledge from the classroom as well. My professors have been exceptional and I've learned so much from them, not just about the subject they teach, but about life in general. Their knowledge and wisdom has inspired me to become a better student and molded me into a more wise, honorable, and cultivated citizen.

My education has, this far, been the epiphany of self-growth. My life has completely changed through the experiences I've had in college. My outlook on life, maturation, and relationships with others has evolved into a routine that gives me a sense of identity.

VICKY

A lot of people have told me that college is the time of your life--the time where youfind yourself, and meet the people that will be your friends for life. I have been attending Concordia University for almost three years now, and I can confidently say that I have found myself. It's more than a "4-year" college experience. I'm finding that it's a joyous and sometimes tumultuous experience that truly develops you and resonates with you wherever you go. For me, it has been more than learning textbook information and being challenged academically, but along the way--the path of pile of term papers, quizzes, midterms, finals, stress, you learn how to deal with what resources and time you're given, and work with it with all you have--and that's the motivation and will you thought you never had--to get what you want and get where you want. It's a passion that no other experience can get you. Among this, college has been learning to truly and genuinely be yourself away from home and making a "home away from home," with the people you want in it.

Joel

I am in my sophomore year at Concordia University in Irvine. I have truly grown in my faith and social development while attending college here. This school has small classroom sizes which allows you to really get to interact with your professors and it also gives you the opportunity to get to know many of your classmates. I have found it extremely valuable in helping me to cultivate friendships with other students that I know will be good friends for life. I have grown tremendously in my knowledge of Scripture and in my faith as I learn through my various theology classes. I have also had the opportunity to join a few extra curricular clubs that has also enhanced my experience at Concordia University. I would not trade this experience for any other and I would encourage others to attend.

Work hard for what you want in life, and never give up. Making friends is important and just having fun but staying focused as well.

Yesenia

This is my third year attending College and it has been the most unexpected experience. Years ago I would of never imagined myself in college and find myself actually enjoy it. Attending college has most definitely made me become very responsible simply because everything you do it's up to you. For example, If you miss class your professor won't be calling you, opposed to High School, the school will contact your parents to notify them. Attending college has been valuable to me because I know classes can be challenging and having to be there at seven in the morning doesn't make it easier but knowing that all this will someday pay off, will be the most rewarding feeling i can ever imagine. Therefore, I try very hard in school and dedicate my time to my studies. Attending college has also been valuable to me because I am the first person to attend college in my family. Going to school and recieving my degree in Nursing is more valuable to me that I cannot even explain in words.

Cassandra

Before Concordia University, I never knew I what I was capable of accomplishing. I have an incredible mother who has supported and encouraged me in my abilities; but I never believed her. Friends would joke that I would end up a doctor, and I joked right along with them in my likelihood of attaining such a dream. After a few missteps and some of life's frustrations, I felt led to Concordia. It was scary and actually graduating still felt like a distant reality. My first semester greeted me with the largest course load I had ever attempted. Yet amidst the chaos of midterms and papers, with all the fears of failure, I discovered something invaluable – I could handle it. Even more than manage, I was flourishing. I felt comfortable and at home. My major in Psychology has thoroughly intrigued me, and my passion for its insight has become a favorite pursuit. Ultimately, I hope to achieve a PsyD. in Clinical Neuropsychology. I am confident that life will continue to present many challenges, but knowing I am capable, that has made all the difference.

Lizette

Going to Concordia University, I have learned so many things, from the way of living, to being involved with the church again, and how it is to be included in a small community. It has been valuable to attend because it has taught me how to prioritize my life and showed me how important it is to have goals and dreams. Also attending Concordia gave me the courage and want to get a degree and go to grad school because its important for my future.

Cleve

I have grown tremendously from going to college. It has taught me not to be afraid of people and that my uniqueness is what I bring to the world. I have become more confident in myself and my abilities. These qualities are both valuable in the workplace and in life.

Christopher

College requires a level of thinking that high school does not. My experience has given me more of an open mind that has allowed me to make big strides in areas that I was previously weak in. The deeper thinking required by the courses I have taken, has made me a more, well-rounded individual.

Charlotte

My college experience has been very exciting and beneficial. Knowledge is always a great thing to obtain. I have learned the value of communication, giving back to the community, and the love of helping others. The experience of a Christian college setting has its own value attach to it. Learning about GOD while being able to pursue your career and linking it all together, is the reason I have decided to further my education. I want to have meaning in life. I want to be able to help those in need. I want to make a difference in others lives.

Dominique

College gives you the knowledge that you need to succeed in life. It is a great atmosphere to learn and have fun in. Best part of life is spent here.

asia

Out of my college experience I have gotten many positive things out of it. I realize that this is preparing me for the after-college life and my college is building me into a great prospect for the real world. I also have learned that life and college is of dedication and hard work and results have shown that hard work pays offf in the end. Loyalty and dignity also plays a significant role within my college experience. Many students and proffesors has broadened my mindset into what it is today based off of loyalty and dignigity. College has been valuable to attend because you are not only receiving an education you are also learning the obstacles of sucess and life.

Kelly

Like I said in pervious answers, the various personalities and types of people I have met at my campus has challenged me educationally, socially, and mentally. I have learned a lot about loyalty and dedication to your school. Everyone at my school takes so much pride in taking care of the campus and the learning environment. It has challenged me in so many ways to attend this school and I really can't say enough about my professors. I have always been the timid student whom is too afraid to participate in class, however, this has not been the problem at Concordia. My professors make me feel comfortable, like no answer is stupid, and they are always more than willing to offer help, answer questions, and provide support. I know that the value of my education is going to be so precious to me and my future.

Zena

When I first read this question, I paused. I thought long and hard. Upon completing my submission with a multitude of responses and reasons as to what I've gotten out of my college experience and why it has been valuable to attend, I paused once more. I realized that very often, I travel the extensive route, assuming that more detail produces greater understanding. It's the easy concepts that I find hard to grasp, and in turn, they are the hardest to forget. In conclusion, my response to this question is: An education, because it never loses value. "Past is experience, Present is experiment and Future is expectation. Use your experience in your experiments to achieve your expectations."-

I am currently attending Sierra Community College in Rocklin, Ca. This school has given me a higher understanding of not only the world around me, but the people in it also. I have more confidence in the "real" world now. Without my education, I believe I would be lost. I have confidence in myself and my abilities. I started college right after high school and didn't do too well. Once I returned to college and took my education seriously, I have been able to become a very well rounded student and individual. A college education is not only good for the job market, but I believe it shapes individuals to be well educated, respectful, and persuant.

Gabriela

In college I have the chance to learn more than the fundamentals of a subject. I have read some interesting textbook that have taught me very useful information that I will need in the future and will make me a better person. College has allowed me to meet new people that share the same interest as me and also people that can guide me to become a better person in life. It is important for me to attend college because in order to succeed in life and in the career I chose I have to first listen to the professors and allow them to teach me all their is to know about my career then with the guides of the professor and administration I could become the person I desire to be and succeed in my life.

Mila

I have only had one year of college so far, but it has beeen extremely benificial - I have learned so much. I never realized how much general education relates to all aspects of life. In Cultural Anthropology, I learned the concept of ethnocentrisim and how easy it is to be guilty of it, and was shocked to read an outsider's perception of my culture. In my Public Speaking class, I was forced to research and speak on contemporary and pivotal issues facing today's society, which gave me a conscientiousness for the concerns of the society I live in, and my responsibility to do something about them. In Freshman Seminar I learned the importance of avoiding apathy and striving to get the most out of every class I take, even when I'm tempted to think it doesn't matter. Overall, I discovered that when you apply yourself to your work and determine to learn as much as possible from those who know more than you, what you uncover is applicalbe to all aspects of life; and in this way it has been immensely valuable for me to attend college.

Olufunmilola

learning to be independent and to be self motivated

Crystal

I have gained the confidence to start my own business with the support of the faculty. I know that it is expensive to attend but I have all the support that I need and a great varity of professors in different fields for when I have questions.

Nicolas

I have been given an excellent moral, character, and accedemic boost while attending Concordia. With me parents divorcing, its hard to pay for school right now, but I have sacraficed because I know Concordia is worth it. However, without assitence I fear I won't be able to continue me schooling there. My experience has been one of fun and joy. Every second I have learned something new as well as figuring what I want to do in my life. The career advisors have helped me look at law schools and I know thats what I want to do with my life; being a lawyer is something Concordia is preparing me for and doing a great job at it. It would mean so much to be to be able to attend Concordia for the remainer of my undergraduate years.

Rebecca

College has allowed me time to grow up in many aspects. I have had to use my time wisely juggling a sport, classes and personal responsibilities. I have needed to depend on myself to meet deadlines and study. I have had the opportunity to meet and get to know a variety of students and professors that have expanded my vision as to who I want to be as an adult. College has given me the opportunities to further my grown in my religion without my parents around. College has allowed me to experience life on my own, but still with the support of adults and other students. College has been sort of life on training wheels literally and for this opportunity I am truely grateful.

Seena

Being a student of Long Beach City College is a rewarding experience to complete my education for the success of my future. The students, staffs, and faculties of my campus has many great services and are very helpful with learning centers for students who needs help with any subjects. For this reason, college needs to be taken seriously, because it is one of the opportunities that is hard to get to, according to financial issues. My college experiences so far has been very relaxing upon the professors I have chose to learn with. As of today, the college funds are inflating and most students, teachers, and faculties are not happy with this. Continuing school should be a reward, rather than just going in class for the heck of it, and get right out for the relief. Financial aids to most students are as free money if you come and go. That is not my definition of attending school. I believe the value of attending college equals to the cost of my life. If I wasn't a student now, I can expect myself living with a descent job that doesn't gain great expectations.

Stevan

So far in college I have learn is that you need to understand howto live by yourself and stop realying on mom and dad. To find out who you are and what are your values so that one day you could become some with importance in life. Like they say someone with value is worth more than riches.

John

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell my self to follow the path that life takes you on. It has its ups and downs but it all works out in the end, and I believe that we end up pretty good. The road has been long and its still no where near the end and if someone told me how is ended it would rob me of the journey. I can truly say that the the path you walk in life teaches you a lot more then yourself in the feature could ever tell. One peice of advice I would give myself is, love and do not leave anything between loved ones insaid or unresolved.

If I could go back in time there are a lot of things I would have told myself. I would have told myself to be more dedicated to tennis so that I could have stayed with it now. I would also tell myself to study a lot more than I ever. It would have been nice to have taken a few more AP classes so that I would have more credits. I would also make sure I studied harder for the SAT so that I could have gotten a better score on that. A forth thing I would tell myself is to apply to as many schools as possible so I would have had more options when it came time to pick a school. A fifth thing I would tell myself would be to work harder at getting a job because it would be very nice to have more money now. The last thing I may tell myself I that I should take as much time as possible applying for scholarships because they are extremely useful and now that economy is not in the best place I need them more than ever.

I would tell myself that there is no need to stress out as much as I did. I worried that being away from my family and friends would be much more difficult than it was in actuality. Everyone else at college is in the same boat, so it is fairly easy to make friends and bond over commonalities. I would also instruct myself to take part in all the orientation activities, even if they seem lame at the time. These events help with meeting new people. Plus, college is different from high school in the respect that people seem more laid back in general. There is less judgement and more acceptance for who a person is as an individual. Therefore, I would let my senior self know that it is important I act like myself, even if I am not completely sure who that is. My final piece of wisdom would be to have as much fun as possible and lighten up a bit without slacking on my studies. Balance is truly the key to a successful college experience.