Concordia University-Nebraska Top Questions

Be sure you choose friends who share your values. Makse sure to get involved with lots of things on campus, but once you decide what you enjoy the most, don't spread yourself too thin so that you get burned out or don't have time for your friends. Be sure your relationships are honest and genuine, because you will need the support of good friends to make it through the rough times, and having awkward or fake relationships will add stress and take away a support you need. Be sure to stay true to yourself.

Like most high school seniors, I was focused on a couple things. Getting the heck out of high school, my social life, and my athletic career. If I could go back and do it all again, I would tell myself to take pride in my education. Back then all I thought about school is that it was a hassle. It was in the way of soccer practice or hanging out with my friends or boyfriend. So, I did mediocre work on assignments, didnt study too hard for tests, kind of coasted my way through with a 3.6 GPA. I know now that if I would have taken myself and my work seriously, I could have definitely gotten a 4.0 GPA. If I would have done those things, I would not even be needing to fill out this survey. I wouldnt need financial assistance because my scholarship from my university would be much larger than it is. Being in college for almost two years now I have learned what it means to value an education, and to try my very best because every last minute of studying counts.

Kenzie

I didn't realize it when I was in high school, but I used to be very preoccupied with social status and fitting in with the crowd. I thought that the only way people would like me is if I did the same things they did. Sometimes I would go against my own convictions in order to please my "friends". Because of this I thought I would have difficulty making friends in college. I understand now that the most important thing is to always be myself. I am unique. I can find other people who care for me because of my originality, not because I act just like everyone else. True friends like me for who I am and what I believe in. I would tell my high school self not to worry about impressing other people. I would tell her to focus on achieving her goals and not losing herself in the process. I would also tell her to stop procrastinating on her homework, because there's a whole lot more of that in college!

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to take more college classes during high school. I would say that they are extremely valuble and that they will be a great asset in preparing for college. Although my high school did not offer many AP/college classes, I would tell myself to take as many as I possibly could. I would also remind myself to keep up the good work with my grades and ACT scores. They will be of great benefit when applying for scholarships. Without them, I would not be able to afford a college career.

Cassie

I would tell myself as a high school senior to not worry too much, everything will work itself out. As a senior I worried too much about what my major was going to be, and in reality in a large portion of fields you do not really need to know right off the bat, as your first year mostly consists of taking general education courses. I would also tell myself to not put off applying for scholarships, it adds stress and you do not always get the scholarships done in time, you may have been awarded more scholarships if you had taken the time with every one and submitting them all.

Lexye

I would tell myself to really start a time management process. Nothing can prepare you for college and the transition of leaving home. I think that it is something all college freshman struggle with the first couple weeks they are on campus. All the upper classmen experienced the same thing at one point and time and they are very understanding and help you out very much. But, once you figure out a schedule and what works best for you, really its smooth sailing from there. If I were to give advice to any other high school senior I would say do not slack off your senior year. I am so thankful I didn't slack off. Take a full schedule college's appreciate that, and the saying, "If you don't use it, you lose it," very much applies to a college atmosphere.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to load up on all the dual-credit courses offered. They are cheap, you have smaller classes, and more one-on-one attention is given to students. They are also great because you can go into college with a semester down for little cost. This can lead to graduating earlier, being able to double major, or take an easier course load. These are all great factors and I should have taken more courses in high school. I would also tell myself to relax and to have a good time, but to also study more for important tests. I would also tell myself that you would make great, new friends in college and not to worry about what you wear or who likes you in high school. It was a more judgmental time in high school and things will change once you get to college. I wish I could go back to my senior year of high school and relive some of these things, but hopefully I will be able to change the lives of younger students!

Helena

Looking back on my senior year of high school, I was a different person that I am now. I had so many friends, was the captian of the tennis team, and had just recieved the lead role in the musical. If I could go back in time to tell myself one thing, it would be to never settle for less. I was thankful for everything I had in high school and I am still thankful today. That said, I would use my advice of never settling for less in my friendships and my academics today. I would have known that I shouldn't be friends with people who take advantage of me, I would have known to search for scholarship every chance i had so that that I wouldn't have to settle for years of debt, and I would have known to never for a moment slack on the drive to reach my goals. Getting into school, finding a job, and being true to myself are the most important things in life. But since going back in time is impossible, these couple years since high school have build character and have taught me to never settle for less anyway.

Lara

Dear High school self, I know you would much rather read a letter than a list (you have already seen so many of those). Here is what I should have known. During your last year of high school, apply for as many scholarships as you can, renewable is best. When you start packing for college, don't forget to pack things you can do with friends such as a frisbee, board games, and colored pencils. You will need the relief this interaction can bring. Once you get to college, don't put off establishing relationships. If you don't interact with people until you know them, you may never interact with anybody. OK, that's an exaggeration, but the more friendships you establish early, the better. I would recommend leaving your dorm room door propped open. This seems to encourage people to interact with you. Isolation is necessary when you have work to do, but social interaction is good, too. Lastly, your sleep habits will change. Try to establish a regular sleep schedule, but don't be afraid to occasionally break it. God's blessings on your adventure!

I would tell myself to listen to my gut instinct when choosing a school. I would tell myself to open myself up and fully immerse myself in the new experience. Lastly, I would tell myself to stay true to myself and not try to become someone that I am not. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to take the road less traveled and step out of the box because I might be surprised with what find.

erin

college is harder than high school. you will learn what it really means to study. your teachers here really care about you and want whats best for you.

I would tell myself that college is a lot harder than high school. Because college is so much harder I would ensure that I spent a lot more time studying and and working harder at my classes. It is very important to do well in college and so I would make sure that I studied often and studied very hard for all my assignments and tests.

Just enjoy the rest of you senior year and relax because college is very hectic but also very exciting and fun. When you come to college be prepared to be open to new possibilities and friends. You never know who will end up being your best friend or future roommate.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to take the college search more seriously. When I was in high school I put off my college search and avoided it and in results of that ended up at a community college for the past two years. Although I have saved money, I believe that my education may have been better suited at a 4-year SUNY school right off the bat. I think it is important to find a school that is right for you and to take the search very seriously. It is much easier to go to a school for four consecutive years somewhere you like and do well at than to have to transfer.

You are the master of your universe. Things will get better. Some people are just late bloomers. You may need to learn life lessons the hard way, but remember that in the end things turn out the way you want them to because you are ultimately in control of what happens in your life. Don't be the victim. Things won't be easy and the pay-off will feel like it is miles away but there is a pay-off and it is worth it. Remember that happiness comes in many forms. Don't get too stuck on the picture in your head. Your life will lead you to strange and amazing places; embrace them and choose to be happy.

Cindy

The advice I would give to myself is to learn how to prioritize tasks and how to manage time wisely. College is a whole different anvironment than high school. Many people attended high school only because they "have to". For that reason, high school students are lot less serious about the studies. Especially during the senior year, many students are concerned of the relationships with friends but pay less attention to the preparation for the future. When starting college life, I then realized how much pressure I received from college level studies. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would stronly advice myself to sign up workshops which provide my informaiton on how to survive in college. These workshops can offer me advices on how to manage time (since I found there was never enough time for me to study), how to prioritize and also teach me how to stary physically and mentally healthy in order to handle the challenging works in college.

KONG

I would advise myself to focus on my studies. Improve time management to perform well on exams and assignments. Every minute counts, failure is another step towards success. Academics is more important than socializing. College is an confortable environment to learn and grow. Set goals and be persistence with long term learning.

Serena

I would tell myself to work as many jobs as possible in high school and save as much as possible. Don't eat out whenever you feel like it. Put some money in a high interest savings account. Take even more online college classes than I did. The more college classes you take in high school, the less General Eds you'll have to take in college.

College is a huge step in one's life. It requires flexibility, perseverance, and confidence. Thinking about making the transition from high school to college made me extremely anxious. I was totally unsure of what this experience would bring and how it would change my life. I would be moving away from home, leaving my friends and family behind, and starting a new life on my own. Now that I am in the midst of my second semester at college, I wish that I could have gone back and talked to myself while I was still in high school. I would assure "me" that college isn't so bad. There are many new transitions that must be made and sometimes it is really hard, but college provides one with so many amazing experiences one could never find anywhere else. It gave me the chance to grow into someone I never really knew I could be. I've made new friends, strengthened my faith, and grown into a stronger, more sure person. College is tough. It's a huge transition, but it's a transition I would never regret.

Congratulations! Today is your day. You want to head to College! To go off and away! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. Consider budget and location for the college you choose. Look through the college list. Check it over with care. About some you will say, “I don’t choose to go there.” With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, You’re smart you can pick the best college street. Once you get there, you’ll find people to meet that are fun, Students to talk with, game with, and things to be done, You can hang in the lounges, or go out on the town, They’re your best friends forever, you’ll love having them around. Classes they’ll make you so smart and so bright, But you might study all day and into the night. Your teachers will teach you the road to success, Read your books and make sure you pass all your tests. The value of college and the experiences are great. Enjoy every minute, some may even find their mate! Will you succeed? Work hard, yes indeed! (99 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

Travis

My first year of college has been a good experience and well worth my while. Being a freshman, I have gained independence, as well as a greater sense of responsibility from my first year of college. I have gained new friends and met new people, which has given me a larger support group and a broader perspective. I have gained a greater knowledge base, and am pleased with my 3.42 gpa for first semester. My professors have been helpful and challenged me to grow in my thinking. I am majoring in exercise science, and hope later to become an athletic trainer or physical therapist. My first year of college has started me down the path toward that goal. In addition to being a student, I have been able to participate in college wrestling with committed coaches and athletes. Through balancing school and athletics, I have learned the value of time management and organization. My hard work has been paying off, as I have qualified for the national wrestling tournament. I can honestly say that it has been valuable to attend Concordia University in Nebraska.

Hailey

I am able to balance activities. Friends

Jenean

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience thus far. I have learned to be responsible for myself. By attending college I have been required to push myself to stay focused while doing homework, make sure I get to bed at a decent hour, and make good decisions. I no longer have my parents to tell me what to do and when to do it. College has been a great opportunity to begin to live on my own. It has been very valuable to attend college because I have learned to live on my own. It has prepared me for my future in more than one way. I am being educated to one day get a career. I am learning how to live in the real world, how to live with people I have not known for very long, and also how to provide for myself. My college experience has been very valuable and I would not exchange this experience for anything.

Codi

When I first arrived at Concordia University I wasn't sure what the other students were going to be like; I had transfered from Iowa State University so the size of campus changed drastically and I believed the students would as well. Since being at Concordia I have become a better student because the students who attend school here are very motivated to do great things in life. I have also become more spiritual because Concordia University is a Christian school and God is very important to them. It would be hard to attend this school and not become a better person just by being here and interacting with those around you.

Going to a christian school like this is helping my faith grow. It shows me how and how not to do things when trying to become friends with people and when i try to tell people about christianity. Alot of the people here are the reason why non-christians arent christian. They are pushy and think they're better than other people. It's mostly, because they've never been out of their own little world. I also believe im getting a good education, because this is one of the better educational schools in the country. The school pushes me, because i've had to try harder now i have ever before. I also think im geting a good experiance from playing football. It helps me physically and helps me prepare to work with a team, because that is a good skill for the future. Playing football is also the reason i dont give up and the reason why I do things that i dont want to do,because life isnt about what you want to do, it's about doing what you have to do.

Kelsie

From my time attending college, I have gained a valuable education, the ability to live on my own, and friends that will last a life time. I never dreamed I would attend a private college, but now that I'm here, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I know the college education I'm recieving is a highly sought after idea that not everyone can attain. Along with that, I have learned things that will help me in any job after college. Also, being in a state other than my home state has helped me to know how to help myself, which in turn, has helped me to help others. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to come to Concordia, NE because I've gained friends I will have for a lifetime. We take interest in each other's lives and do our best to encourage one another daily. These are just a few things that I've learned during my time at Concordia but all of them are important. I am looking forward to see what else I will be blessed with in the remaining years at college.

Markus

As you make the transition from high school to college, there are three things you should know. First, college will not be easy. It requires diligent effort and devotion. College is a marathon, not a sprint. Come up with a daily work schedule and follow it. Second, get involved in different activities. You will make friends with people you may have not met otherwise. You can learn many unique things about yourself by leaving your comfort zone and trying something new, like joining a club Finally, live in the moment. It?s a once in a lifetime experience, so make the most of it. When you?re doing homework, focus on the task at hand, not on what you?ll do the next weekend. When you?re with friends, don?t think about homework. Enjoy the time with them and the relationships that you?re building. Close friends will always be there, through good times and bad, you?ll have in college. Follow this advice and you will gain the knowledge and confidence needed to succeed when you graduate. College will be a memorable and rewarding experience that you will remember the rest of your life so enjoy it.

Going back to my senior year, I would have told myself that I need to focus on important groups in college and be prepared for a challenge. I would also tell myself that it is ok to tell people no if they ask you to join groups or other activities. Another piece of advice I would tell myself is to save money because when you get to college, you don' t have any! Finally, I would tell myself never to sell myself short on any opportunity. In college there are so many opportunities and you will never know what they are like unless you try and make the most of the opportunities. Coming into college with that concept would be easier to follow then learning it once you are already here.

Genevieve

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to live it up. I would tell myself to have as much fn as possible and to give my all into everything. I would laugh as hard as I could, cry as hard as I could, care as much as I could with everything I do. Same thing goes with school life. I would have not held back at anything. I would have taken the harder classes that scared me and I would have gave it my best. I would have taken the art classes that I knew I would be terrible at, but I would still try my best and give my all in every painting I painted. I would give my all into everything I could give to.

Jaclyn

If I could actually go back in time and give myself any advice that I could that I know now I think that the best advice I could give my self is start saving money early and apply for as many scholarships as you can because you do not want to face your first year of college and be held back trying to figure out how you will pay for tuition, dorm, food and any other fees that you might come across.

Beth....you are leaving for college soon. I know you have heard all about it from your friends, parents, teachers...I'd also like to give you a few words of advice. The biggest difference you will notice is your new found freedom. There is no one waiting up for you at night. There is no one looking over your shoulder every night making sure you are getting your schoolwork done. Your parents aren't nagging you about getting enough sleep or eating correctly. Well, they will do that on the phone, but you can give them the old "Yes, Mom I am sleeping enough and I am eating right." My recommendation for you would be to learn how to manage your time. Attend all your classes , keep up with your schoolwork and be successful. It is a great idea to join clubs and go to athletic events. You need to go out and socialize and make new friends. If you get involved you will be happier and you will want to do well in school so you can keep your scholarship. Bottom line is, if you don't stay on track and keep up will will run out of ......

Prepare for some long nights of studying but allow yourself some fun. Remember to make sure all of your things are secured in your room or car. Be prepared to have tons of fun and make new friends. You're a long way from home and you can't bring that along. Get a hold of your finances and start saving more. You'll need that later. Think first before you do or promise something. Always be ready to lend a helping hand. Remember the people and relationships that you form because, they can and will affect you for the rest of your life. Be open but stand firm in your beliefs. Be respectful, honest, trustworthy, and on time.

Troy

College is much harder than high school. You need to develope good study habits, finding a quiet place outside of the dorm room is a great place to study so that things like video games and roommates are not a distraction. It is good to think of school as a full time job. During the day you are gonna have breaks in between classes, so if you go to class and do homework from 8 to 4 just like a full time job then you will have the nights to do what you like. College is all about planning and time mannagement. Unlike high school you can't just breeze through college. You need to be focused and stay on top of your studies so that when you have to travel for sports you won't get behind. Good Luck.

Hannah, the next few years will change your life. You're going to make great friends - friends who will stick by you no matter what. You're going to have great teachers and learning experiences. You're going to change your mind about some things and you're going to recognize the truth in others. You're going to go places you never would have dreamed of. It is going to be hard sometimes, and you might want to give up - but don't! You can do it! College is pretty amazing - and it is life changing. Sure, some of your friends might already be making money or doing great things, and you might think that school is getting really long and tedious, but you can't stop. You need to go - keep on going, learning, reaching, helping, pressing on to what lies ahead. You're going to realize that you don't have all of the answers. You're going to learn that sometimes doing what's right is a lot harder than you thought it would be. But you can do it. And in the end... You'll be more you than you ever were before.

You are a people person that does not like conflict. Don't worry about what kind of roommate you'll get because you get along with almost anyone. But knowing you you'll probably meet someone on facebook and decide to be roommates with them and you'll get along just fine. You also like to be involved in a lot of things. Don't worry about getting involved in too much. You can handle it. However, you also like to please people. Don't participate in something just because other people want you to. You can't be afraid to say no. If you want to do something go for it. Don't let anybody hold you back. Lots of people will try to get you to do things that are against what you believe. Stay true to yourself and to God and you'll be fine. It will be harder for your mom to let you go than it will be for you to leave home. Make sure you talk to your family on a regular basis and maintain a good relationship with them. College will be fun, but remember you're there to study. Good luck!

Debbie

Trust God's timing and planning for your life. College is hard work, but it is nothing that you can't handle. Stay in touch with friends and family regularly. Jesus loves you.

Shauna

The right college makes the difference between an education that will last a lifetime and an education that will be forgotten. College is not just about getting a good education, but also about finding a place where one fits and can create relationships that will carry through life's challenges after graduation. Finding the right fit is hard, and sometimes being close to home is the place that a student least wants to be, but wherever one is, remember three things. 1) Students like mail, including but not limited to, gift boxes full of food and family memories, cards, letters, and junk mail (Yes, anything that fills that mailbox!). 2) Students need to be supported by their "home base" of family, as well as friends, professors, and university staff if they have any hope of surviving Finals (and becoming independent and successful adults). 3) Sometimes it takes more than one school to "try on" to find the right fit (VISIT CAMPUS while students are there!!!), but the right one will be worth it. Lots of growing up occurs, but as long as families stick together, they can't grow apart. They remain bonded and are only strengthened in their ties.

Macie

When your looking for the "right college for you", you really need to ask yourself the most basic question... what do I want to be when I grow up. Yes, it sounds kind of childish, but it is truly what starts you in the right direction. Most colleges and universities are known for a specific major/program. When you know what you want to do with you life, the next thing to ask yourself is what kind of setting you are comfortable in. Such as a small school in a rural community or a large school in the middle of a city. These two questions together will help you find the right school for you. Also, don't forget about visiting a prospective school. It helps to go and see the campus and get a feel for what it is like at that particular school. As for making the most of your college experience, I would say, don't hold back. Put all you've got into everything you do. It's the only way to do it. Just think about looking back and knowing that you did your VERY best.

Bryan

Advice that I would give incoming students and parents about finding the right college is definetly make sure you visit the campus. Its very important to see the campus and get a feel for it. Also when visiting the campus make sure you sit in on some classes and meet with professors. Money is an important manner while picking a college, but dont let it be your only decision maker. To make the most of your college experience, make lots of friends and get involved. Studying in important in college, but you learn so much and grow so much more as a person by getting involved and learning to new life experiences during your time at college that takes place outside the classroom.

Ultimately the college needs to contain your program of interest, but there is no substitute for physically visiting a college and taking an entire tour of the campus, having a meal in one of the dining halls, and if its possible, to chat with one of the professors and/or sit in on a class lecture for your program of interest, and also visit with students that attend that college. Take a look at the couse catalog and look at what courses they have to offer and see how they compare with graduate school and/or your career someday. Check out the off campus activities, such as performances in the arts , museums, movie theatres, places to eat, etc. Check out the surrounding towns and see what they are like as well. There is also no substitute for a quality place to go sweat a little after a long day of classes. Also, take a close look at computer labs, libraries, and any other study place there is and make sure they have the proper technology and adequate space needed to where you feel that you will grow academically. That is why they call college "higher education."

I was raised to believe that after high school, it was my responsibility to go to college. Thanks to my high school, I knew what I wanted out of college and what I didn't want. I knew that I wanted the opposite of what my high school had offered--not in every aspect, just generally. I knew that I wanted to further my education as best as I could. If you are a student, and you know that you want more than what high school had to offer you, then you are already prepared to make the most out of your college experience. For me personally, when I stepped onto Concordia's campus, I knew that it was my college because I could picture myself there. I had never had that feeling of certainty when visiting another college campus. I wanted a small, Christian campus community where I could focus on my school work, feel safe, and not be pressured by the type of people on that campus. This is the type of environment where I excel. When searching for a college, ask yourself, "Can I picture myself here at this college?" and, "In what environment would I excel?"

The advice that I would give parents and students tring to select the right college is to make sure that all options are explored before making a decision. Something that I wish that i would have done more in my college selection process is to look at more colleges. I did not know a lot of information and did not research any other colleges beyond Concordia and one or two other universities. It is good to also know what resources are available to you. Collegeboard.com is a very helpful website in finding a college. Also, calling and talking to representatives from each college can be helpful. In sum, my main advice is to not leave any stone unturned. You do not want to get into your college education and wonder if, perhaps, a wrong decision was made or some other college could be better. It is ok to have those thoughts, but better to avoid altogether. Also, make sure that good research is done on all of your potential college interests, and make sure that a lot of thoughtful time and consideration is done so as to not make a rush or rashed decision.

Finding the right college can seem difficult at first but once you visit a few you will get a better understanding of what you are looking for and what you want from a college. The best advice that I can give is to go with the one that you are most comfortable with. If you feel comfortable in the environment, you will be more outgoing and willing to try new things. Making the most of your college experience is important. Try to get involved with something that you have a passion for. If you can't find just one thing, try multiple things. Making an effort is the first step and from there the rest is history. College will go by fast so enjoy every minute of it. Stay on top of your studies so they don't stress you out too much and enjoy every free minute you can to the fullest. Cherish the opportunities that you have to make new friends because they will turn out to be life long friends. Parents, the best thing you can do is offer your encouragement, support, and love for your child as they are on this amazing journey called life!

Find a school that fits the interests you have and a place where you feel at home. Look for a school that has friendly people that will come and show you around and tell you about the school. Parents don't hover over your children. Let them make the choice that is right for them it can make a huge impact on the entire family. You never know the relationship between a student and a parent could grow stronger.

Shauna

Finding a college that fits the needs of the student as well as the need for support is essential. Finding a campus that has the same on-campus everyday friendly atmosphere is important. Wherever one chooses to go, it should be comforting and refreshing to have the support of not only other students (whether they be friends or acquaintances), but also having the support of every member of faculty and staff on campus. The sense of belonging and the encouragement that one receives is worth every dollar. Each student is given the chance to find his/her own identity, but is lifted up and supported in every facet along the way. Each student is an individual, but also the student body as a whole must draw the student's abilities and strengths to the surface, helping the student achieve the best that he/she can. Finding a school that can help a student draw out the best is unique, but finding one that the student will love as well is nearly impossible and takes searching, but it is a task worth rising to meet.

Constance

If you're serisously considering a school, be sure to visit it during your senior year of high school to get a feel for the campus. Ask to meet with professors in the fields you're interested in pursuing so you can learn more about the department and what they have to offer. In college I was a diplomat and would take prospective students and their parents to lunch on campus after our tour. I was able to introduce them to my friends and other students so they could ask other people questions and learn more about my school. This really gave prospective students a chance to see how they would fit in and what current students thought of the school without hearing a script. Also, if you are seeking financial aid, apply early so you'll know funds are available. Once all the scholarships are gone for the year, they're gone.

Visiting at different times of year is important as well as looking at the class list and making sure that the college offers enough classes in the chosen area. Being organized is the best way to do well in classes and still get to have fun on the weekends. Let go of the insecurity and make new friends right away when everyone else is new too!

Visit anywhere you might be interested in and definitely make lots of new friends instead of keeping the same ones from home.

Do not be afraid to look at colleges outside of your comfort zone. If your college is on the other side of the country and outside of your budget range look at it anyway because you never know what doors could open up. Once you get to college join groups that look interesting, fun, or just offer free pizza every Thursday night if you come to the meetings. It is a great way to meet amazing people and have a good time. Be careful though to not be too overcommited or over scheduled. Leave plenty of "free time" so that it can be filled with the unplanned events that college life sometimes brings out like playing Wal-Mart tag at 2:00 AM. Expect the unexpected and keep your mind open as your approach your college years.

When you are looking for the right college one thing I would really suggest doing is visit the school while there are students there. While you are visiting sit in on classes, talk with both students and professors, and try to picture yourself there as a student the whole time. To make the most of your college experience go to class and do the homework. If you do the professors are more likely to notice you. Also make some good friends with in you program, because those people are the ones who will be your "co-workers" after school, and you never know when you will need to fall back on them.