Portland, OR
Concordia University-Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Concordia University-Portland

Jessa

One of the greatest values of attending my school is the free counseling service they offer. Within a few months of each other, my best friend was killed, my mom was diagnosed with cancer, I got laid off from my job and ended up loosing my apartment. I tried as hard as I could to hold everything together, but with the added stress of transferring to a new school, I needed help sorting through everything that had been going on in my life. I called my schools counseling department and they set me up with an appointment right away. I saw my counselor for a term and was able to slowly work through the events that had seemed to paralyze me before. The free counseling I received help me have a clearer mind, be able to focus more on my studies and safely go through the grieving process of having to lose someone so dear to my heart. I would not have had the resources to get the help I needed if it wasn’t for Concordia.

It would be hard to schedule classes around other things such as work.

Concordia doesn't offer a lot of scheduling options or fun elective options.

Tina

Concordia University is a Lutheran synagogue school, and it sits on a beautiful campus. All the faculty and staff members are very personable, willing to go the extra mile and available whenever you need them. The classes are small, no more than 25 students, usually 15-17 students, and the instructors care about the students.

Knowledge, this world is continually changing, and with knowledge, one continues to grow and learn with the world. One learns to fine-tune their social skills, they develop and refine studying tools, and lifelong friends are established. College experience has shown me, I am smart and, it showed me I am capable of learning, not just memorizing, but also actually learning things. With the knowledge I have learned, I am more able to reach out and help others, I can teach and demonstrate to my students what they need to learn. Along with the knowledge also comes age and experience, a wisdom you might say. There are many aspects to the value of attending college, as mentioned above college and the courses taken allow someone to grow, if there is no growth, then there is stagnation. When I think of stagnation, I envision this pond with slim, mold, algae, and a horrible stench; I do not want to be like that pond. Continuing my education opens more doors and different avenues for me to travel, should I choose to do so.

Students who learn kinesthetically, and who learn best in small class room sizes.

A close-knit community that encourages individual expression through academics, sports, and extra-curricular activities.

I have always been a hard worker, but college encourages you to take more control of your life both academically and socially. Learning does not stop happening once you graduate, and there have been many occassions in which my professors have learned something from their students. Concordia is dedicated to teaching their graduates to become life-long learners, to go beyond what is required of them, to push limits and break barriers in order to discover a greater truth. Learning is also not limited to the classroom - outside the classroom has also provided many opportunities to expand what we know through community service projects and school-sponsored social gatherings. It has definitely made a difference to my life after graduation knowing that I will continue to learn about the world around me, explore new opportunities, and pursue my dreams of being a leader that will transform society.

People that are not self-motivated and disciplined should not attend this school because of the high degree of classes that encourage extra time and energy. While many of the extra options for the class are not required, one often will get more out of them and the corresponding discussions if they are willing to dig deeper and go beyond what the professor has assigned for you.

Callie

I would have told myself to, ?Swallow your pride.? Once you step foot on your college campus, no one cares about your achievements in high school. No cared that I was homecoming queen, captain of the basketball team, or member of the National Honor Society. I was plainly viewed as the petite freshman from Hawaii. If I swallowed my pride and allowed myself to be vulnerable and try new adventures, I would have experienced a totally different first semester. If I swallowed my pride and sought tutoring from my professors, my first semester grades would have been golden. If I swallowed my pride and listened to my friends, I would have seen the shooting red flags clouded by my infatuation for that typical freshman boy. If I swallowed my pride and attended all of freshmen orientation, I might have established more new friendships. It is now the second semester of my freshman year. All I can do now is proactively learn from my mistakes and not allow my pride to take captive of me again this semester. In this first month I have sought tutoring from my Chemistry professor and attended various workshops in an effort to meet new people.

I wish I had known how expensive textbooks from the campus bookstore were. I had never before had to purchase textbooks for school and since I am the first child in my family to attend a four year college, we had not a clue about purchasing books online. My schedule was comprised of eighteen credits and required me to purchase about twenty books. The amount of money that we spent in the campus bookstore was sickening. This semester I purchased half of my books online and the other half from the dreaded campus bookstore.

A student that is looking for a big setting should not attend this school because this school features small class sizes and an enrollment of less than two thousand. A student that is hoping to simply slide through the cracks should not attend this school because professors and academic advisors establish relationships with each of their students. A student that desires to only succeed academically should not enroll here because service learning is placed on a high pedestal. Hundreds of service hours are required for graduation. Overall a student desiring a typical college experience should not attend this school.

Laurin

Learning is of the greatest value. Embrace it. Grapple with it. Absorb all it has to offer. Do not be afraid to make mistakes; challenge yourself to grow from them and to become better as a result. Learning entails humility, so be willing to be wrong, and when right, help others along the way. Do not be afraid of challenges, but instead, energetically throw yourself into them. Learning is not about passing a test; rather, it is about making the knowledge a part of you so that it shapes you from the inside. Only when this is done will you be able to use the gained knowledge to help change other people's lives for the better positively impacting society. While knowledge is of prime importance, that knowledge cannot be gained without relationships. Value them. Hold on to them. Remember your old friends while being unafraid to reach out to make new ones. Look beyond their outward appearance and learn what makes them. Love them unconditionally, even if they embrace different viewpoints and beliefs. These two things, knowledge and relationships are inextricably bound together. Embrace them, and you will become well-equipped to adopt the life of a college student.

The most frustrating thing about school are the students who don't care about their classes. As a result, professors can either make the classes easier so more can pass, or they can keep their standards high but have a number of students fail.

Alexi

My school was private, as well as small. I love that about it.

My school was private, as well as small. I love that about it.

I don't think I would have changed anything. Taking a year off allowed me to experience the working life, and make me realize I don't want just a job, I want a career. It also offered me the extra time to think carefully about what I wanted to major in, and ultimately, do for the rest of my life.

I consider the small size of my school to be the best quality. It gives the opportunity to form more relationships, as well as get to know your teachers better. There are also so many resources for help!

Michelle

My school is a small university that forces you to be influencial in the world.

My school is a small university that forces you to be influencial in the world.

My classmates are growing and developing into the people they want to be everyday.

When I first got into college I was so scared that people woulden't like me that I hid out in my room for the first week. I would tell myself that when you put yourself out there to be known you gain courage to face anything scary that comes your way. I would have signed up to be in Traditional housing to guarentee that I would be forced to meet others. It was nice having a sink and bathroom to myself but it sucked that I had to work twice as hard to meet others around me. The amount of people and friends I made was such a shock my next year when I lived in traditional housing. I ran into people everywhere I went and made amazing friendships by being forced to see them everyday in the bathroom. I really didn't have to go out of my way to try to meet people. My junior year I am again in traditional housing and I have bonded with everyone of my dormmates. Its like having 30 of your closest friends living with you. I only wished I could have walked into college living in that style of housing.

Sabrina

Recent high school graduates can learn finding the right college can be a harrowing experience. To keep up on class work, social life, and family life while realiazing which college is the right fit can be like crossing a river on slippery stones all while balancing several books in arm. It's important to know one's self when crossing this river, including knowing one's likes and dislikes. This was my biggest problem. I had graduated from a small class of fifty students. This made me assume I wanted this out of my college experiece, which made me rule out larger universities. However, I wish I had taken action and found out for sure if I didn't like bigger classes. I could have done this by sitting in a class at a bigger university. If I truly did not like it, then I could have ruled it out, making a more informed decision. Instead, I have learned that too small a university is something I do not enjoy, $20,000 later. Being active can make the decision process less daunting. In so doing, this allows the student more confidence when arriving to the other side of the river.

If you're Lutheran and more on the liberal side, this University is good for you. Also, if you like small classes and a small, small campus, this is just right.

Sydney

It is a very small school that has a very good reputation. It is part of a chain of Lutheran schools, ours being the most liberal of them all. There is a huge emphasis put on academics and we have some world renowned proffessors and researchers teaching full time on our campus.

Really think about where you want to live, take great care in thinking about the weather and how far it is from things that one is used to like certain shopping or hobbies. If you really like to ski and have grown up in the northwest, dont move to Florida.

Mostly about the community in the school. Community is an emphasised part of our school, and the staff and faculty really encourage us to become a part of the school community. There are staff and faculty that live on campus, and many faculty live very near campus and encourage students to visit them at their homes.

Concordia University-Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.