Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art Top Questions

In attending college I have obtained a better means to guide myself. My time spent in school has shed light on the world around me and provided a better vision to build my own path from. With every class that I take I encounter new peers who enlighten me. I build relationships with my professors who continue to inspire this quest for knowledge. Every course I complete leaves me standing more confidently and more at ease with my human condition. The time I have invested and plan to invest in college has been well spent. With all of the understanding I have gained from my time in school I am better equipped to help preserve what we have built and to improve the future.

Caprice

Write down the important things so that you remember to do them on time. Write down the not-so-important things so that you remember to do them at all. Wash your hands before and after class, and shower everyday, even if your friends do not. Look both ways when crossing the street. Keep your head up while walking through the hall. Tell your mother you love her, even in front of your classmates; they will never remember, she will never forget. Laugh when you find something funny, cry when you are upset, and do not be ashamed to do both while taking an exam.

Heejae

Going to a college, or graduating from a college should not be the goal of your life. It may be short-term goal, but it is better to have a vision you want to pursue in your life. The sooner you discover what you want to do in your life, the better. But do not limit yourself to one area. Ask yourself a lot of questions. Try many different things. Challenge yourself because without challenge, there is no progress. Discover your talent, your strenght, and yourself. And have fun and enjoy times in high school!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to prepare for my AP classes more. AP Physics C and AP Calculus BC credit would of been extremely valuable at Cooper Union and helped the transition to the huge work load. I would also tell myself to save more money before college. Without a meal plan, food in New York City is very expensive.

Davon

I wish I had used my guidance counselor in high school more for the resources they had to offer. Preparing yourself financially for college is difficult, but with proper guidance and preparation it can be managable.

R.

Don't waste a great opportunity.

Julianne

Make learning, rather than prestige, a priority. Sometimes all that comes with a big-name school is the name. And from experience, the overall mood in a top-notch school is figure it out and deal, no matter how bad a professor is, how busy you are, etc. A smaller school, or more relaxed school, may allow you to take your time with classes and establish your own learning pace. Also, make sure the school is flexible with major changes. You probably KNOW what you want to do right now, but that may change. Even if you want to be an engineer, the type of engineer you want to be may be shaped by the classes you take. Lastly, college will be difficult. If it were easy, everyone would do it. But it doesn't have to be difficult because your professors purposefully teach over your head, or because you are taking way too many credits to handle, or because you dislike the area. If it isn't a match, transfer immediately. But if you just dont like the city you live in, give it 1 year. I went from hating NY to crying when I left.

priscilla

VISIT VISIT VISIT! and ask questions of the students there! Ask about the work load and make sure you can have somewhat of a social life.

Jimmy

The "right college" is not always dependant on the ability for the programs, facilities, and faculties at the college to be strong. Programs change, facilities are different when you experience them everyday, and faculties may be knowledgable but may not exactly click with you. Follow the intuition and the desire to do something that really excites you, relating to both thought and passion, to find the right college, because you'll always have authority over your own interests. Be intuitive of your college choices, and then research deeper before you apply. When it comes to college experience, be invested in your work, but be certain to allow yourself time to relax and just enjoy the college life. College goes by faster than you will expect. College is the time between "given" highschool assignments and "work life". It's the time that you can test your wits, outlooks, and experiment within your field without consequences. Push the boundaries. Do what you love, but also love what you do.

Parents should let their children attend the school of their choice. Ultimately, it's the child's future. Go to school, study hard and play hard.

Leo

Consult current students and examine if their outlook on the school meets your expectations. See what kind of work they are doing and how motivated they are. Also examine how alumni of the university are doing in their fields.

Don't let your parents choose for you! Only you know what's best for you.

Yasin

If you like something, try to emphasize it. Don't close yourself off to new ideas, because you will be surprised at how interesting the world is, how small your world is, and how many new things you will find that you really enjoy.

Study!

Hess

If you've started a college and decided it is not the right place, or the right major make the change. it is better to redo a year than to suffer three more.

Gregory

Make a decision about which college you want to attend early. Visit the summer of your junior year and APPLY EARLY DECISION. Make your decision evenly between academics and social life.

Gladys

Parents should be behind their kids 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. To me, that's the key to a successfull future. They may disagree now, but it's time for us to learn from our own mistakes and fix them along the way. I'm not rich, and neither is my family... Hard work, prayer and hope helped me get into Cooper Union, and now I am glad that even though I did alot of the college searching and motivation on my own, my parents are slowly learning the process of suceeding in life, and they are proud (as am I) of me being the first in our family attending college, and better yet: on a full scholarship. It was all worth it, even if my parents couldn't help me much during high school, i found teachers and counselors to help. Coming from a middle to lower class Hispanic family helped me realize that even though my parents moral support is understood, there is still another way of getting constant re-assurance and positive guidance. You just have to find it in yourself that there is something amazing in everyone's future. Use that idea for self-motivation because that's enough.

synphany

To parents I would say support your childs decision and interests. Do not choose a career feild you deem best for them. To students I would say remember why you are at college. It is not to benefit anyone but you. It is your future. Knowledge is your right. Oh and easy on the partying save some for when your an adult in the real world on a friday after work maybe.

Hendrik

Look at the student body and see if you belong with those people. Visit and speak with current students besides the ones giving tours, they're happy with the school of course. Go to the library or elsewhere and just speak to students and get a real perspective from the average student.

Important things to consider when looking for a college are the variety of courses in the areas in which you are interested, the quality of the social life, the focus on academics and maybe most importantly is the opportunities you will have at the school and after graduation. The size of the school and its resources is another important consideration, a small school might provide a closer and cozier atmosphere, but may lack in the resources department as it may have less spending money. Definitely consider the location of the school as that will determine what life outside of class will be like, whether you want to be on a nice campus, in a big city, in warm weather or cold weather. With regard to making the most of the college experience, definitely keep you eyes open to emails sent out and signs that are posted and participate in activities that sound interesting. Be social and make friends to hang out with and complain to. Take courses in different subjects, as this is your last chance to learn about such a variety of topics in a formal matter. Take advantage of the cultural opportunities around the campus.

Know what you want out of your college experience before you choose where to go. Are you looking for the best 4 years of your life or are you looking to actually become a more productive and ultimately more valuable person, because in my experience the two are generally somewhat mutually exclusive.

Rina

To students: Take control of your own college experience. Think about what you want out of college before you begin, and make it happen. This is the moment to reflect on you values and begin to chrystallize your dreams. Your professors are there to help and challenge you. Go to their office hours and get to know them. Strive for excellence in your work, and refuse the easy path. At the same time, don't forget about what makes life joyful. Allow time each day for something that gives you pleasure, be it doing a crossword puzzle, cooking with friends, or taking a jog. College is not preparation for the rest of your life; it is the beginning of your independent livelihood.