Cornell College Top Questions

Memories

They are the type of people who talk a lot in the classroom yet get A's on tests and the ones who fail, the people that have seen everything in life and still do not feel discouraged; they are the type of people who are able to get back up when they are knocked down, the people who continue to fight when everyone says quit, determined, stubborn, diverse, all of them are wonderful and so beautiful in their own way.

For the most part everyone is crazy nice, though there is still some of the clique-ish congregations we all hoped we were done with in high school.

My classmates are diverse, unpretentious, and hardworking.

Bryan

The students here are diverse. We have every race, of both genders, and we have many international students. Everyone here gets along for the most parts. Most students are from the midwest but something like less than a third are from Iowa.

Allyson

They're very friendly, welcoming, and supportive.

The vast majority of students at Cornell come from the Midwest. The Chicago suburbs, Minnesota, Colorado, and Iowa send a lot of students here. The West Coast has a significant presence, but there aren't too many East-Coasters or international students. Most people here are middle class; I hear financial aid often cited as a top reason why people attended Cornell. Most people either have a practical major or plan to go to grad school, but earning millions is not on most people's radars. Political activism is big in certain circles, but not in the college as a whole. Everyone here, for the most part, is nice and willing to help out and support a fellow student. That said, many of students are not politically correct and are surprisingly conservative for a liberal arts school. Students that don't fit societal norms, LGBT students, for example, may feel uncomfortable with the cavalier attitude that many students have about discriminatory language (i.e. using 'gay' and 'retarded' as synonyms for stupid). Most of this is just due to Cornell being the first exposure to diversity many of its more rural students have experienced.

A fun group, that enjoys learning, long discussions about anything that comes to mind (such as the educational problem in America, politics, and video games), and ocassionally goes to parties (some are light drinkers, but don't binge), play video games, dance randomly, play D&D, and practice yoga in the hall.

Mackensie

They're... interesting. Everyone has a very different personaity. It's great how so many different people can get together in one place to live and learn and grow as individuals.

My peers at Cornell are accepting and open-minded when it comes to meeting other people - I have always felt as though I belong at Cornell and I could not have chosen a better school - and in the classroom my peers are respectful and eager to learn (which is refreshing after high school).

Brigid

Most of the people want to be here, although there are the occasional few who are only here to party.

Josiah

My classmates are diverse.

Classmates are friendly, open students who like to work hard and play harder.

Kendall

They are all different kinds of people.

Cornell students are very dedicated academically, but are also very sociable, and they are eager to explore and refine their ideas about people different from them.