Grand Rapids, MI
Cornerstone University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Cornerstone University

Marissa

Nothing. Well atleast if I'd want to save my breath, I'd save my time for something more worthwhile. If I felt like babbling on about how ACT scores will make or break you, how you should start saving your pennies since you learned to count, and that on the contrary to what most highschoolers wish to believe; being a hardriven student really does pay off throughout college. You see, all of this is extremely valuable information and if taken seriously could lighten the college struggles. But as a senior in highschool I was hardheaded in the sense that I thought I already knew everything there was to know, and my favorite answer when it came to my future was, "Oh, I'll figure something out." I was convinced that I was on top of the world. But low and behold, life came around and I realized I wasn't. With a new profound sense of maturity that one can only accommodate through complete independence, I saw how utterly unprepared and stubborn I was. I received plenty of advice from parents, teachers, and counselors; but getting past myself and taking what they said to heart was the real challenge.

Sharon

It's strong Christian values

It's strong Christian values

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to get excited about the friends, academics, and spiritual growth that I was about to encounter. I'd also tell myself to take advantage of AP classes and CLEP tests as these tests are much cheaper than classes. I'd also encourage myself to look into online courses.

How to better plan my schedule, how to take advantage of AP classes and CLEP tests

Briana

If I could go back to when I was a high school senior and tell myself what I know about college life and making the transition, I would only have three pieces of advice. The first would be to start looking for college scholarships, because college is very expansive. The second one would be that it is not worth it to worry about how you are going to do in class and if you make any friends. Just try your best and it will work out, every better then you think it will. The third is that you need to take it slow and try your very hardest on everything you do. College is a very important part of our live. College changes people and you are going to change as well. You will grow in your faith, Social, and in your academic studies. You picked the right school for you!

I believe that every kind of person should come to our school, but I hope is that every person that goes to Cornerstone University wants not just to grow in their field of study, but as a Christian as well and that every person puts in their best effort in everything that they do. This College not only has a great community, it was a great staff that helps EVERYONE do their best.

I think that at my school we should let even non-Christian people to come there. It would be a good chance to witness to them. Before I started college I thought that I wouldn?t like it; I love it! The people at my school will help anyone they can. It?s a good community, and the only people who shouldn?t be allowed in are those set on messing that up! If you ask all most everyone there what is the most important thing they'd say the community. It?s our way of life at Cornerstone University!

Robert

Cornerstone is a Christ-centered university in all the senses of the term.

Cornerstone is a Christ-centered university in all the senses of the term.

File for as many scholarships as you can while keeping up with homework. Any money is good toward college. And SAVE UP!! Money you save is money you can put up to fill in the blanks. Money is also no reason to not stay on campus, the drive sucks so go for the on campus option, much better. (It will also save you from some of the painful situations that you go through on the path you're currently taking.) Also, pay attention in Calculus so you don't have to take it again.

I wish I had known how majorly important it is to sign up and apply for as many scholoarchips as possible and as early as possible so I wouldn't be stuck trying to squeeze money out of everything.

Jamie

College is going to be a lot more fun than high school. Don't stress about failing. You will do fine. Things will be harder in college, but you will do fine. Don't slack off in high school. Do everything to the best of your ability. Ask more questions, and get better grades. It will help you in the end. Develope more good study skills. Don't take anything for granted. Make sure you enjoy high school because great is around the corner. High School isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Just be yourself when in High School. College is where you will get freedom. God wants you to move forward with Him, and try to do His will before you get into college. God is doing great and mighty things. God is good. He wants you to do your best.

The best thing about Cornerstone University is the community. The fact is the community is friendly. I love the community. They try to pull you ou t and get you to do things. You will love the community. When people leave for breaks, they can't wait to get back. I made more friends in college because of the community, more than in high school.

The most frustrating thing about my school is there is one teacher who thinks he is the greatest thing ever. He gives a lot of homework, and thinks you don't have any other classes. He is also the hardest teacher at the school.

Leah

Cornerstone has a very strong music program (I'm a music major). They also have a Contemporary Christian Music major, which very few Christian colleges do. Cornerstone has great equipment for sound tech and also a wide variety of on-campus jobs.

You have much to learn. The world is much bigger than your little circle, and yet, you can't save everyone. You have to pick and choose; don't spread yourself too thin. There are so many good organizations with which you can volunteer, but you can't do everything. Go and try new things, but don't turn your back on who you are. The friendships you have now might last into adulthood, but they might not. So much of friendship is based off being near each other - and common interest. When your friends move away, they might not be your friends anymore. Cry a little, and then go out and make new friends. Pay attention in class, but don't spend too much time on your homework. A social life is important. Don't try to work two jobs and do well in school. It's not healthy. Splurge a little, but keep saving money. You'll need it. Eat right, but eat a doughnut every now and then, too. It keeps you sane. And above all else: read the Bible and pray every day. Get closer to God. He's the only real thing in this world.

Our school has poor facilities for music majors. Our building is tiny and not up to any standards for the last two decades. We also have only one performance facility on campus (unless you count the gym) and it has poor acoustics and no lighting system.

Rob

Rob, Start planning early and start saving early. College isn't as easy to pay for as sometimes you might think. Look for scholarships, financial aid and good loans. Figure out how you can pay for the college you want to go, and do it as soon as possible. Its not an easy thing picking up the load of responciblity that college brings but if your smart about it and plan ahead you will be fine. The transition from high school to college is a hard one, but not an impossible one. Believe in yourself and don't feel discouraged or overwhelmed by everything and know that you are just as capable of doing what you want to do as anybody else. It's a huge change in your life, it will determine the rest of your life so be wise. Start planning now.

I would say the best thing about my school would be the religious foundation it really helps you build for the future. They make it easy to get used to and really make it feel they dont force Chapels or any event on you.

I mostly brag about the small classes and the way they make is easy for you to get the help you need. Cornerstone does a fantastic job of making you feel like more then just a number but a student and show that they care about you as a person.

Caley

Transition from high school to college wasn't bad for me at all--the harder transition was from freshman to sophomore year. I'd definitely tell myself that my relationships with people would change and I can't expect things to be the same as they were the previous year. With that in mind, I think I would have been able to more fully embrace my sophomore year and I would have better anticipated the challenges it brought.

Since Cornerstone is a non-denominational, Christian-based school, I wouldn't recommend the it to someone with no Christian background.

I brag about some of my classes, some professors, some of the campus activities, the quality of the theater department's performances, but mostly about the people--Cornerstone has an awesome community.

Chris

I have not yet started college yet, but i am starting next month. If i could go back in time knowing what i know now, i would tell myself to take more classes my sinior year. But honestly i think if i went back and talked to myself, knowing how i was, I wouldnt have listened to myself. To be honest again, I think i did the bast that i could at the time. The things i did then made me who i am today. So would have taking more classes helped me? Yes, but how I did in my classes helped me understand what i need to do and what i can do in college. I didn't do bad in school but i didnt do the best if i REALLY tried. But if i tried REALLY hard i think i would have lost my social life as well. So with my GPA and my social life i would have to say I did pretty well in high school and wouldn't change a thing.

Aaron

Cornerstone University was in-state, which allowed me to use state financial aid that would have otherwise been unavailable to me.

If I were to confront my high school senior self, I would admonish that self to find a job as quickly as possible. I now find myself in a tight situation because I took a small part-time job during school. I would also admonish myself to save money, rather than spend it. My financial situation would be much better if I had put more money into savings rather than recreation. Finally, I would admonish myself to take a closer look at that one certain cute girl in English Society. I would love to have the chance to start my relationship with my girlfriend sooner than I did.

The cost of attending is too high considering the quality of our food and on-campus housing. Rather than installing new things to make life "fun" they should put money into further renovations and repairs to the existing structures.

Cornerstone University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.