Grand Rapids, MI
Cornerstone University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Cornerstone University

Evan

Hey senior self! You are about to go to college, congratulations! When you get there, it is going to be intimidating and you might even feel a little uncomfortable- that's okay. College is an intimidating place- living with a bunch of people you don't know, having more homework than you're used to, and for you especially, you have to handle playing soccer at the same time. Concerning dorm life, don't be afraid to leave your door open when you're in your room and to venture into other open rooms; it will really help you make friends quicker than you might expect. Concerning academics, do what you have always done. Be diligent, do your work well, and ask questions. It might be scary asking questions in a big class, but don't be afraid to put yourself out there. It will be worth it. And concerning soccer, it is your job as a teammate to make your teammates better and the team as a whole better. Be the best teammate you can be and be the best example you can be. Have fun, and remember to do everything you do for God's glory.

One of the best things about Cornerstone Univeristy is the professors. They actually care about the students and want them to do well. The more the student puts in, the more they will get back from the professors. Professors here love having relationships with students and are always willing to grab lunch or a coffee if you ever want to meet to talk about classwork or just get to know them.

The worst thing I consider about Cornerstone is that since many people who go here live within 30 or so minutes from the campus, many of them go home over the weekend and there aren't many people around. Weeknights are always a blast, though, and the quiet weekends are good for resting and catching up on homework.

TJ

They are very respectful and come from varying backgrounds and are willing to get to know everyone.

I wouldn't give myself any new advice. I didn't go in expecting college to change who I am already. It hasn't changed me and I wasn't blown away by anything when I got there. I didn't go in with any expectations so I wasn't bummed out when they were wrong. So to go back in time to advise myself, my advice would be to keep thinking the same thoughts.

Anyone who wishes to attend. A person learning to grow in their faith with God or wanting to know about God as well. Willing to fill out many scholarships, but in the end is worth it.

Tom

I believe the best part of CU's school is the student life and interaction on campus, and/or the students' friendliness towards one another.

Whenever I brag about my school, I tend to focus mostly on how friendly, interactive, and life-forming this school is. What I mean by life-forming, is that this school helps you prepare and mature for the future.

Kaitlyn

Classmate are generally very friendly and easy to get along with. I've had great sucess with the study groups that students form together.

Pace yourself with your academic schedule and if you plan on doing a sport realize the commitment that it is and be prepared to give your team, coach, and school everything you've got.

Very religious and students with very conservative values should attend this school.

Kimberley

As a Christian University I would hope it is known for the outreach to the public in the beautiful city of Grand Rapids! But Cornerstone is also in a great area, and weekends sound like fun! Who doesn't love community events?

I love the fact that Cornerstone is so close knit. When I visited, the size was comparable to the community college I attend currently, and it really makes the classes more interactive and the professors more personable. You can really make a difference!

Dearest, Nieve Kimberley, Work hard. Work for what you want, and when you don't know what you want, work hard for the inevitable: finding your dreams and striving for goals. Study hard, don't procrastinate, and don't let funds stop you when there are endless opportunities. Make a transfer to your dream university a possibility right after graduation! Finances can't stop determination! Nothing in life gets simpler, but why let laziness or procrastination dash your dreams? People say you can do whatever you set your mind to, but they are wrong. You can do what you set your mind on and work hard to obtain. Work hard towards your future, so that you can love it. Blessings, A Wiser You

You're going to be thrown into a world full of those who do no believe in the same things as you and that's alright. You need to keep an open mind and look at both sides of every decision, belief, and counterblief you or someone else may have. The transition will be rather simple, since you were always good in school and adapt well to learning enviroments. Do not fret about the little things, such as leaving friends behind in your hometown. By the time you get to Grand Rapids, you will be glad that you decided to go away to school here you will meet plenty of open minded and spiritual people who are pursuing more than a college education. Your senior year may have let you down, but speaking to you from the future, you will be just fine in college; so much so, you would rather repeat the first semester of college than the entire four years of high school. It's perspective that you've never had before. Keep on going and keep the faith that your future is more than an acceptance letter and diploma.

I wish I had known how open minded people are, way more than I expected going into a Christian school and how accessible the professors make themselves to their students. People are always willing to help others out and there is a real community sense there.

Someone who enjoys being around other people and having a stong love for their religious and spirutal beliefs, which are very much reinforced by most peers and the administration.

Cornerstone University is a Christ- centered, community-focused liberal arts college that emphasizes the importance of serving our local and global community in the name of Jesus Christ by being academically excellent and passionately creative in our fields.

Anyone desiring to be a student of Cornerstone University, must want to be a contributor to their local and/or global community. They should desire to use their talents, ideas and passions to improve the world around them. Reguardless of their major, if the student seeks to be equipted to better their world, then Cornstone University will help them to do so.

miracales

Well, there is one little thing that will stand it: It's a Christian college. Yes, you will have to attend 25 chapels/semester and yes a "random praise session in pickitt lounge" will become a common thing you hear, but there are still plenty of things at Cornerstone that'll make you smile. I truly believe it's alike no other.

Good lord, I don't think I could put enought emphasis on how much I would change my high school years. If ever a time machine is invented (which I would love because my major is history) and I could tell myself a few things, I would be overjoyed. And my advice would go a little something like this: The most dangerous weapon in the world isn't tanks or guns or knives, it's your mind. Your mind will decide if you're going to pull that trigger or put the gun down. Your mind decides if today will be a good day or a bad day. Your mind is mainly in charge of everything. However, even though your mind does most of the tricking, there are ways you can trick it as well. For instance, when that fear of what people will think if you wear this starts to creep into your mind, move on. Block it out. When that fear of what people's response will be when you say that one joke starts to take over, keep smiling and say it anyway. When you find yourself in a state of crippling anxiety, fight back.

Well, honestly, I find few faults with Cornerstone. At certain times, I'll find myself bragging about how the people there are the sweetest, most kind-hearted people you'll ever find. Cornerstone puts a emphasis on "community," and it definitely shows.

Allison

Looking back on my high school senior year, I would tell myself that the study habits that I created freshman year of high school should still be carried out through senior year of high school because having to restart study habits in college is harder then simply continuously carrying them out. I would tell myself that the transition of high school to college isn't as steep as others have told you it is, especially if you continue your hard work ethic. I would also give myself the advice to create a ballence between school work and friends because even though my high school friends all went to different colleges, the qualities and importance of friendships makes a world of difference when you make the transition of stepping onto a new campus, that you will spend the next four years at, not knowing anyone. I would remind myself to not be so self absorbed into my future but to look up and be thankful to those I surround myself with.

When I talk to my friends about Cornerstone, I brag about the sense of community that Cornerstone has. From living in the dorms to going to classes, and worshiping in chapel and Evensong, Cornerstone embraces the sense of a small Christian community in a welcoming enviornment that always feels open.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the little amount of on campus activity on the weekends. A lot of students go home on the weekends, so for those who stay on campus, it's always a little more quite and duller on the weekends.

Cornerstone University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.