Grand Rapids, MI
Cornerstone University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Cornerstone University

Alex

College is an exciting time! You're going to have a blast. You'll make a lot of friends and learn great things. Some of your professors will be complete idiots. This is normal. They've been in school their whole lives, imagine the toll that takes on the human psyche! Some of your professors will be great. You'll be so surprised with a science professor's ability to teach you some transcendental truth. I know that you're worried about that math class, let's be honest, math has never been our strong suit. Want to hear a secret though? A logic class covers your math credit for your generals. Junior college isn't where you pictured yourself after high school. It's really your only option though. You could drown in debt but that just means problems later in life. It's not glamorous, it's a little childish actually, but it's worth it. You'll transfer out of here soon and be off to real college. Good luck, You

Mia

Cornerstone University is a leading Christ- centered university involving students, parent, faculty, and staff in a community modeling the Kingdom of Heaven that academically and spirtually rich.

The student- body of Cornerstone University is diversly growing and loving community that truly allows each individual within the student- body to express themselves freely and abudantly with Christ.

Christina

My classmates are very friendly and eager to learn. There is a great sense of school pride and the university as a whole is viewed as a Christ centered community. There are many activities for students, and most enjoy watching our athletic teams and theatre productions. Students enjoy being together whether it be studying, singing, eating, or just having fun.

The advise I would give myself is to learn to relax. I am typically a serious student, but college has tought me ironically the opposite to my sense of discipline: it is ok to have fun. There are many successful ways to balance a good student life and time for fun and communion outside the classroom as well. Being involved in extracurriculars and spending time with other students leads to an expansion of ideas and friendship. In addition, it helps you discover who you are, what you like, what you dislike, what your talents are, and how to relate to others. It can be a great stress reliever to be able to leave the classroom mindset behind at times, however, the key is balance; it is important to do the best job you can in your classes, but it is also necessary to allow yourself time to recharge and enjoy college.

A student should come here if they are looking for a university with an emphasis of Christ centered education and learning the Christian worldview that can be applied inside and outside the classroom. This school is attractive to the vocationally focused as well, with many alumni who have moved on to impressive graduate schools and careers. A student should come if they would enjoy being a part of a loving community.

Alyssa

As a senior in high school it is quite easy to breeze by exerting the least amount of effort to pass, but I strongly encourage high school seniors to persevere knowing that creating good habits in high school is incredibly helpful in college. In high school there are often others advocating for students whether it be the teachers, principle, counselor, a parent, or another passionate individual; however, in college you are your own best advocate when it comes to researching classes required for graduation, scheduling those classes, discussing grades with professors, or anything in between. It is important to feel comfortable advocating for yourself, not necessarily in a rude or pushy way, but by being thoughtful yet persistant.

Cornerstone does a wonderful job of intergrating a Christian lifestyle into every aspect of student life. It is a college that is focused on Jesus Christ and there is truly a strong sense of community uniting students, faculty, and employees.

Cornerstone is currently very homogeneous; however, it is working to fix this by seeking to increase diversity to become more like the kingdom of God, with an individual from every nation.

Jillian

One thing that was easy to slack on and not take seriously in high school was the reading assignments and course work. It was easy to make a good grade without completing every assignment because there were so many. I would tell myself to ACTUALLY do all of the assigned work and especially the reading. Though classes don't meet everyday, there is a great deal of expectation. Much of what is learned is learned outside of the classroom and it is important to keep up with all assignments and reading.

Just how windy it got in Grand Rapids! I love the climate here, but I did not anticipate so much wind being 40 or so minutes inland from lake Michigan. The wind gets strong and quite cold!

It is quite expensive. I love the school and believe I am getting a valuable education. I also think that what I am learning and the things I am gaining academically and personally are worth it. It is just incredibley difficult to come up with the money to attend this institution. And that is with scholarships and financial aid. Beyond that I still need loans.

I would give myself the advice to never procrastinate and study more often. Video games and friends arent always everything in college. Procrastination and no studying leads to poor performance and it also stresses you out. So study and dont procrastinate!

The bible. a lot of classes are based on biblical meanings and terms

A non religious person. People who look to just party in college.

My classmates are friendly, open to conversations, and push me to do better in my schoolwork.

I would tell myself not to push myself so hard my freshman year. College really is different than High school and it takes time to make the adjustment. You can't skate through classes and still expect A's.

People that enjoy drinking or drugs. You should not attend this school if you don't want to follow Jesus and have Biblical lessons brought into every class.

Garret

My school is best known for its faith, a good basketball program, and willingness to expand.

Be willing to try new things. Wake up early and go to bed early; you'll work better if you've slept. There's a ton of writing in college; you need to get ready for it. Write for hours every day. This is going to be so much work, but it's going to be worth it. You're going to learn how to deal with people. You're going to learn how to fail. Try your best to do well, but don't worry so much about your grades. They matter less in the long run than the experience you'll gain from trying and failing. This is your time to prepare for real life, so take it seriously. Show up. Shower. Dress well. Do your homework. Study for exams. You're going to be busy, but make time to participate in life. Make real friends--you have four years to do it. You only get to do all this once. Make the most of it.

This school is very much for conservative Christians who fit into the church youth group setting. If you don't fit into that category, you'll probably be uncomfortable at Cornerstone University.

My classmates are very fun and energetic, they always have an idea of something super fun to do!

I would tell my high school self to not sweat the small stuff in high school. There are so many things to worry about in college, but I have found that it is still okay to have fun with friends, and participate in college events. In high school I was way over commited. Because I thought that is what I had to do to get into a great school. But honestly it is okay to have one thing your passionate about. That one thing will be way more impressive than lots of little things. All of those commitments would stop me from enjoying my high school life. So I would say to my high school self, as well as any high school student, to stop sweating the little things in life, and start having some fun!

The worst thing about my school is the science building. Because there are only a few labs, and they are all very run down. Which is only a bad thing because I am a science major. But the science professors are full of passion for the Lord, and immense knowledge on their field of study.

Courtney

I would tell myself to make sure to make a good group of friends that pushes you to be a better person. Within my first couple months at college I found myself in a group of friends that I typically would not have hung around. Although they were great people deep down, they tending to pull me down in both my faith and school work. I found myself becoming the person I always told myself I would not be. I am proud to say I have found a better group of friends that is helping me turn away from that version of myself. Although I am glad I went through that stage of life, learned, and grew from it, if I could go back and warn myself as a high school senior I definitely would.

Because it is a private christian school, I would not advise extremly liberal people to attend this school. It is very faith based and Christian beliefs will be taught in each class.

I mostly brag about how much the professors care about their students. They truly take the time the time to get to know the students and want them to succeed in every asspect of life.

Cornerstone University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.