Cosumnes River College Top Questions

yer

If I can go back in time and talk to myself, I will tell myself to get ready and start preparing. Also to apply for as much scholarships as possible or join as much organizations and activities that I possibly can. When choosing a college choose wisely, don't wait until the last minute to start picking a college then end up changing it. Finish all the paper works and enrollment forms early so I can get a first choice on all my classes. The number one thing that im going to tell myself is don't procrestinate. When you have something to accomplish do it right then, don't wait until the last minute to finish up things.

Shazmeen

From my college experience I have learned how to deal with things in the professional world. Having to work under pressure, and time crunch taught me how to be more efficient when it comes to finishing the work I have been given. Not only that but it has taught me how to prioritize things in my life, and the path I need to take in order to get to where I want. Attending college has really made me grow up and become more responsible for my actions because everything I do is based off of decisions that I make. If I fail it's my fault, and if I succeed it's my victory. I can only get to where I want in life if I work hard and do the best work possible.

Louis

Hey Louis, I hope you are enjoying your fantastic senior year. I am very proud of your incredible atheltic accomplishments this year in football, wrestling, and track. But, now it's time to buckle down. It's time to really think about what you want in life and what you want to accomplish in your career as a business man. You really need to get out of that lazy phase because let me tell you, you're in for a real ride in the real world. There are no second chances in life, and no one is going to care that you overslept or that you didn't feel like doing your work. No ptofessor in college is going to hold your hand and give you the answers when you miss things. You really need to turn into that responsible man that I know you are and put your priorities in check. Enjoy your senior year with all the special activities, but know when it's done, the real first chapter in your life begins.

Fonda

If i was a student who was to go back in time as a high school senior, i think i would be very happy. Because everyone told me that after graduating and living the college life you will miss you high school year. i believe that! i would really miss my senior year of all because im departing with all the students that i may not talk to in the future. And i would give myself one advice. Is that in life you can never predict what will happen, it goes its own path. The only person that can change that path would be yourself, no one can change what u want to do. Because you do what you got to do, as long as you are positive in the decision you are making there should be no regrets later on when you look back to the past.

Dear Kathy, Be brave. Yes, I understand that this is easier said than done- but trust me, although change is hard, if you do not take the steps towards finding your future, it will be a lot harder. Going to college is going to be a big change, but I am positive that you will be able to handle it. Sure, it is going to take some time getting used to, but thankfully you have support behind you. I know how you feel about going to a community college- I understand that you feel disappointed in yourself, but this will past, and you will learn that going to a community college was the best decision you made. In fact, you will be so proud that you decided to go this route. Going to a community college allows you to grow, to take the time to transition without forcing you out into the world. You are able to save money, to take all your general education classes without having to pay too much. You are able to focus on yourself, on classes you want to take, and explore other options for possible careers. And remember, be brave. Love, your (future) self

Dieuhong

As a college student now, I realized that college life is far more difficult compare to high school life. Sometimes, I wished that I could go back in time and do a few things. I would tell myself to work harder and take more AP classes (i.e. AP English 12) in addition to AP Calculus AB, AP Physics, AP Spanish IV, and AP Studio Art in order to have better preparations for college. I found that college courses are a lot harder than high school's. I always told myself to make time to sign up for scholarships but I did not sign up for any. I deeply regretted that because the tuition, books, and living expenses are very expensive and I could barely afford them. Also, I would have practice more cooking skills so that I can cook for myself because I do not have time to go out and buy foods. It would be more convenient if I can cook. I am a human, so at times, I make mistakes. However, mistake is not always a bad thing. Being able to learn from my past mistakes is what will allow me to grow stronger as a person.

Gabriela

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself when I was in High School I would Advice myself to get a goal in life and achieve it as soon as possible and to look at the opportunties that they offer with scholarship and other type of money help for college. When I was a senior I thought that scholarships could only be for students going to a 4 year university but now I know that community college can also get help. I would tell myself to look into other types of help. Everyone has the opportunity to get help no matter what your status is.

College is different from High School. College is a chance to change yourself and become someone new. College is what transforms yourself into an adult. Don?t treat college as a continuation of high school ? thirteenth through the sixteenth grade, but as a new era in independence. No one is going to tell you to study, do homework, or raise your hand in class; College is when you start participating in life. You?re no longer the little child having their hand held by Mommy, but an adult to make informed decisions. This is the only chance you get to interact with people from different walks of life, and may or may not have similar interests as you. They may come from a small village in India or a large metropolis ? College is your social networking site. Don?t dawdle, or be frightened. It is the experience of a lifetime.

Kylee

I would have told myself to focus more on Psychology than music theory. I would have made sure that I took the SAT and ACT tests to provide an opportunity to go to a four year college rather than a two year. I would have spent more time studying than working. I would have signed up for more scholarships and trusted in my ability to do more with my life. I would tell myself that I am capable of doing anything and going to any school I want. I would have told myself to not hold back.

elizabeth

I know that this sounds a little predictable, but I would tell myself to not give up and to stay on track. I got off track almost immediately after high school and every down fall in my life was simply because I did not have a degree. My financial burdens and lack of success could have all been avoided. Now that I see what my life is like now, unable to find work and just a straight up struggle, I know that getting a degree is the smartest thing I will ever do. I really wish I could go back and tell myself that.

cheenou

If i were able to go back in time and talk to myself about the college life, i will tell myself to get all of the requirments done and have everything ready for college. I will also tell myself to svae money and not buy anything that is not required for college.

Gaju

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to get good grades, get a mentor, get involved in the community, apply for scholarships, and listen attentively/ ask more questions. I would get a mentor because it is important to discuss your education/career goals with someone who has experience in your field of interest. I would get good grades so that I can get a full college scholarship. I would get more involved in the community because each and every person can contribute to his or her community. I would be more active in Key Club, a high school club which teaches leadership. I would apply for scholarships because many high school students don't apply, and there are many scholarships out there for high school students. I would also listen more and ask more questions because listening and ask my teachers more questions because you always gain some knowledge from listening and asking. Asking questions is important because it leads to critical thinking, which is an essential life skill. Critical thinking is a skill that is necessary to do well in any college course. "The important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein.

Yolanda

LOOK UP AND LIVE!! It's been 11 years since you barely graduated from highschool. Life is very different than you expected. I came back in time to try to encourage you. Will you listen to me? You are brilliant! Your life will get better. Please don't give up on yourself now. Things will change, I PROMISE! I know you're angry and hurt you've had a very hard life and you're only 17, but there is still hope! There is this college that you can go to and get a degree in anything you desire! It will help you even more if you work hard and improve those failing grades you have. I know you're not going to believe me but you can get straight A's, you are a smart girl you just didn't have the right support system during your childhood. How do I know? Well, lets just say Fall 2009 sememster was a great one! You earned Straight A's in COLLEGE! Yes, that means you earned a 4.0 and your name is on the DEAN's LIST! YOU ARE SMARTER THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW! LOOK, UP AND LIVE!!

Jana

I would tell myself to stay focused.. I would meet with my college counsler and have a educational plan which would map out my classes every sesmster to keep me focused on the end result which would be my degree.. I would also not sign up for any loans only grants and scholarships that do not require me to pay back.. I would work part-time while I finshed my education and I would not allow myself any distractions.

Don't give up. I know it sounds corny, but don't. It feels hard now and I can guarantee it will feel harder down the line but keep going. You will not believe how much you will come to learn about your self, how smart you will realize you can be, how proud of yourself you will become. As the bumps in the road come just know that you are strong enough to over come them. You have it in yourself to do this. You would not believe how much of yourself you will miss out on if you don't continue, not only in term of school, but also in terms of your self growth. You'll be happy : ) just breath and... take it one day at a time.

LaShawna

The advice I would give myself would be to focus on being prepared for the future. This would inculde taking college prep courses, learning time management, completing assignments and homework ahead of time if possible, learn to be self sufficent and independent. Find as many grants and scholarships available based on college is not cheap. Learn there is a time for everything. Separate fun from work.

Fatima

Knowing what I know now I would have told myself to keep my options open. By this I mean I would have not only told myself that I am going to apply to a Community College. I would have taken all the required course for going to a four year University. I would have applied to Universities that interest me. I enjoy going to a Community College but I wish I would have kept my options open so that I could have applied to other schools and made my decision then.

Nayla

The advice I would have given myself is to never limit your needs and your ambitions. How can one know if they can reach it if they don't begin to extend their arm in the first place.