Creighton University Top Questions

Denae

High school was the best time of my life. I loved my friends, my school, my town, and everything else that high school had to offer. I was in the top ten of my class and had straight A's since my freshmen year. However, my focus was always having fun, enjoying the time I had before I had to go out in the "real"world, and staying at the top of my class, to get into a good college. I look back now and wish I could have told myself, "Enjoy your high school experience, but do not be afraid to push yourself because of the failure you think may come from it. Take the hard classes and prepare yourself for college. The greatest joys you will have are found by achieving what you thought was inevitable, or succeeding in something that you had worked tirelessly to conquer. That sweat filled 'B' will bring much more happiness than the easy 'A,' because a few years from now nobody will remember who was the most fun or had the best grades, but you will have learned the most valuable lesson in life. Great achievements often come from countless, unnoticed hours."

Blair

My first week at college was the loneliest week of my life. I was surrounded by hundreds of new people and as an introvert it was overwhelming, so I locked myself in my room out of intimidation. When I finally left my room I met the people who would become my friends and experienced new things, but ultimately I learned that there was so much I missed out on because I was afraid to meet new people.If I could go back and give myself advice before embarking on my journey to college I would tell myself: “Leave your room!” Even if you leave just to study in the library or go to dinner you never know who or what you will discover. Also a major part of college is the connections that you make with others, so when you find a club or guest lecture you are interested in: Go, you may find a new passion or will find people who have the same passions you do. Sometimes the journey, person(s), or ideas you need are just outside your door, all you have to do is step outside; chances are you may learn something with that first step.

jenevahlynn

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to take as many AP classes and college classes at community colleges as i can because that will save me so much money.

Marialuz

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself not to base my decisions on the expectations of others. I should put aside the surrounding voices and abide by my inner intuition-- to follow my instincts, do what is best for me, and not be ashamed of my deepest ambitions. In high school, I wanted to achieve my personal and secretive aspirations but didn’t because I was too afraid to try--afraid of rejection and failure. I would tell myself not to stifle my potential and not to fear making a mistake. Some of my mistakes in college will be the most life-changing because I will learn and mature from them in wonderful ways. I will grow stronger and more willing to take chances. The main advice would be to communicate, express myself, and be confident. College isn’t just about school; it’s also about the experience and meeting different people. Don’t exclude individuals just because they are unlike me; I will learn how important it is to have friends. Finally, I would encourage myself to embrace who I am and not be embarrassed of myself.

You worry too much! Everything turns out fine, its so much fun! Remember to keep your door open when your in your dorm room- people will stop by and say hi. And please please remember that everyone is in the same boat you are: theyre all nervous, but jump out of your shell a little and dont worry about going into other people's room to say hi. Classes.. yeah, you should drop that 400 level that you signed up for first semester, your GPA will never forgive you! And you might want to study just a little bit more for chemistry. Other than that, have fun like I know you will. There is so much that Creighton has to offer, and you are going to be great. Oh, and dont fight the urge to switch majors, its ok, no one is going to be mad- You're actually better than you think at psychology. Remember that you are the captin of your own ship and your heart will guide you, have fun. Its only 4 years but its the most shaping 4 years of you life.

arron

take a hold of the extra credit opportunities and the extra help that is offered. there is nothing wrong with going in for help and taking a hold of the extra credit oppertunities that are offered. they are possibly one of the best things you can take a hold of because they are worth the time you put into them. also to be open to everyone you meet and encounter with and not just only the people from back home. the oppertunity to meet people in your dorm and in classes are one of those things that may stay with you for a life time. who knows that person maybe your best man or partner in crime buddy for the rest of your life.

Hope

Hey Hope- so its almost time for college and instead of slacking off the rest of senior year, you should start studying. College will not come as easily to you as high school has- you will have to work hard to get the grades you would normally get but doing the minimum. Also, you need to find the best place for you to study: the dorm is way too noisy and the library is always cold- so find a spot that works for you and claim it! Also, save up some money this summer. Even with a meal plan its very tempting to use your own money to buy things for the mini-fridge. And becareful of your head- try not to bump it on your bed when you are using your desk. Also, bring a heavy shower caddy so the curtain doesn't fly in on you and give the rest of the girls a free show. Try to enjoy school, take some risks, try and find out who you are- you might be surprised in what you find.

Not many students choose to attend a college nearly 500 miles away from home. Usually it is more expensive, a hassle to get home, and in an unfamiliar area. My choice to attend Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, however, has been one of the best choices of my life. Away from home, I have had the opportunity to grow in remarkable ways. Participating in service, leadership, and faith activities on a weekly basis, as well as balancing seventeen credit hours and two jobs, I have learned to prioritize and constantly work for the community and my continued education. Working toward a Social Work and Theology double major and Spanish minor, all that I stand for and have sought to achieve personally has come together in my classes. Especially with my social work requirements, I have experienced situations that have helped me become more empathetic to the marginalized and more empowered to be an advocate for positive change in society. I have grown to value more deeply the importance of community, leadership, service, and academic achievement during my time in college. I would never trade the opportunities and experiences offered me each day of my collegiate career.

Kiera

I have been able to pursue my dreams at college, meet great people, and learn more and more about myself everyday.

RACHIDI

Because people constantly disclosed their personal issues to me as a bartender, I learned to become not only a good conversationalist, but also an excellent listener. One of my most rewarding experiences has been tutoring high school students in math, physics, and biology, and helping people in my choir learn dancing traditionel music. Always able to develop a good rapport with students, I believe I possess a talent for teaching others in a friendly manner and in a manner that helps them to grasp difficult concepts easily

Finding out that I can achieve goals if I apply myself to the task.

Heidi

College. It is a funny word, isn't it? I have always looked at it and imagined the two l?s as pillars in front of some grand building. Well, so you know, the college you chose does not have any colonial style buildings like you imagined; instead it uses art deco style. Even if the buildings at your college do not have any pillars, keep some in your life. I suggest making Passion one of those pillars. If, well, when, because you will get involved on campus, make sure you get involved in areas you are passionate about. Otherwise your involvement will drain you instead of invigorate you. I also suggest making Play a pillar. Try to get outside and go for a run, or learn a new sport like tennis. Just make sure you take some time in the week to do something healthy, fun and relaxing. The last pillar is obvious, Study. This is the central pillar of college. You may not realize this, but high school was relatively easy. You will work harder in college. Studying needs to become part of your every day routine. Hopefully, these pillars will help support you in your college life.

Jake

I had always had extremly high hopes for what college and what it would bring. When I was a high school senior, I visited and applied to school solely based on academic reputation. Because i had taken many AP classes and high-end business classes, I wanted a college that would both satisfy my mother and myself at the same time. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to spend more time looking at schools and the area that it was located in. Because of money, I only applied to a few schools and I did not apply to some of the schools I wish I had. Prospective students should know to always follow their dreams and apply to a school even if it seems out of their reach, so that they do not regret not doing so later. When I was coming into college, I thought the transition to almost complete independence would not be too bad, as i had been doing things myself for many years. However, I realize now that it was out of both fear and guilt that I did so. I would tell myself to stay focused on grades and studying.

Kendra

Kendra, remember when Mr. Johnson would test us on biology material that we barely spent any time on? Remember when Mrs. Kohlhepp would load on the chemistry homework, even during the summer? Basically, they indirectly walked us through the experience of a college course. Much of your learning and success will depend on the effort and time that you put into a class. College can be a focus of service and self-growth. Bring balance into your college life with inter-campus activities. This is where you meet friends who share the same interests. Participate in activities that are out of your comfort zone. You may discover things that you never thought you were capable of doing or enjoying. Taking wise risks can turn out to be smart decisions. These memories become the pride and joy of your college experience. You attend college to pursue your passion for Physical Therapy. College will help you discover who you are by experiences big, small, good or bad. These steps will place you on a path that will not only help you live your life to the fullest, but also help others live fulfilling lives because of the person you find in college.

Samira

Knowing what you know now, go back and talk to yourself as a high school senior. What advice would you give. As I sit at the Student Center of Creighton University, I cannot help but wonder how I got here. In the constant rush of busy students, it is easy to forget the past four years of high school. I was taught at a young age that entering a good college was the primary goal of my life. I attended a College Prep school whose aim was to help me along my way to higher education. Many years of high school were full of AP classes and SAT Prep. Now that I have finally reached college, it is easy to reflect back. My advice to my high school senior self would not be to study harder, ace the SAT, or even to take different classes. My advice is do not rush to go to an unknown glamorous place, get away from home, or live off ramen noodles. My only advice is to understand the opportunities that will be given to me and to understand that the world is only beginning to show it?s light.

I would tell myself three things. You want to major in Anthropology, only have one credit card, and make sure you apply for financial aid.

Tony

Dude ok heres what you should do...Take a very good look at the choices you are going to apply for. Will weather be a factor for you? If over the course of your time at school you decide to choose a different major, will they have ones that interest you? Also, will the tuition be a burden after your four years of schooling? Think about all those things as you take a look at colleges. This a very big leap from high school and you damn well better be prepared for it. Last question, if you decide to go to the mainland, are you ready to make that transition from a rock in the middle of the ocean to land of new things?

I found that the study habits that I developed throughout high school are more important in college than the academics disciplines I learned. Thus, I would encourage my high school self to stregnthen my study habits. For example, it is definitely nice to have a solid chemistry foundation of the basic concepts, however, without the refined ability to write detailed observations during a chemistry lab or discern relevant information from lectures, the material would be difficult to master. In addition, college introduces an enormous amount of new responsibilities and freedom. The well developed study habits are vital in balancing the responsibilites on top of the freedoms, all while maintaining high grades, and, most of all, enjoying college. The study habits I developed in high school helped me finish my first college semester with a 3.89 grade point average and was recognized as a Freshman Scholar at Creighton University. My success was largely due to my ability to take notes efficiently, organize myself, and manage my time for my work-study program, homework, extracurriculars, sleep, and free time. Thus, I would tell my high school self to refine these skills further for even more success in college.

College is a huge transition for every student and it is important to realize that no matter how confident you are, at some point you will struggle with the major changes occuring in your life. However, becoming involved in intramural sports, student organizations, volunteering, or finding a job on campus is a great way to meet new people and branch out. Many students have so much free time when they enter college that they don't know how to use it effectively. Becoming involved allows students to feel as though they are apart of something and meet new people. The busier a students are, the less likely they are to focus on the negative aspects of college or how homesick they might be. Getting involved and making friends will help students to feel at home almost immediately. Students will find it is very difficult to make a close group of friends sitting in the dorm, but by making a conscious effort to get involved and meet people, they will have an easier time transitioning into this new phase of their life. If the student makes a genuine effort at becoming involved, everything else will fall into place.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself when I was a senior in high school I would tell myself not to be too worried about the transition. I would tell myself that college is not as scary or as hard as it seems and to work on organizing my time better. I would also encourage myself to focus more on my studies and to apply for scholarships and financial aid early on and not put it off. My major downfall of my senior year was that I was so scared and so worried about what would happen after I graduated that I did not plan for what good was to come ahead. I want to tell myself that I should not focus on the fact that I do not have enough money for college but focus more on how to get the money. There are so many things that I worried about before I graduated that I know now are just small fears of going on to bigger and better things. I wish I had that insight back then but I?m glad I have it now.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so much to say. I would tell myself a lot to save myself from having regrets once I got to college. The first thing I would let myself know is to apply for every scholarship available to me because that is something I should have focused on back then. Every senior also goes through "senioritis" in which we are ready to give up on schoolwork, but I would tell myself to work even harder to ensure success. The transition into college is difficult when you are so used to being important in high school so I would tell myself to get involved right away to ease the pains of transitions. I didn't make enough friends my first year of college, but I think that I could have if I had tried harder. I would warn myself that someone I loved was going to hurt me while I was in college. I would have kept my heart from breaking and affecting my schoolwork. Overall, I would tell myself to stay focused on my goals!

Elise

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say "you have no idea what you want to do with your life". Often times it seems that high schoolers think they have their lives figured out when it fact it is highly unlikely that you will be the same person you were in high school when you graduate from college. College is an opportunity for extreme change and growth. For once you are not monitored by your family and your community. You are free to think for yourself and discover how you truly view the world around you. Those views that you develop through going to college are what help you decide what kind of person you want to be and what exactly it is that you want to accomplish as an adult. If I met myself as a high school student today I would hardly know the girl that I was staring at. Aside from our similarities in physical features, our views on life would drastically different. As a soon to be college graduate student I feel that I have finally found the manual on how to be my own person.

Shyaka

I am the experience life in High and College school. I have been faced challenges for the Deaf people and other Orphans , Vulnerable Children their suffere about fees due to poor parents and Death parents durind war or Death of HIV/AIDS. We're africans people and we still in trouble of our Educations. So far the Disability are challenge with their accessible education opportunities. I have been researched life for the Deaf in Schools based in Rwanda and Uganda. I have been pain in my Heart about education for the Deaf people in Rwanda. There are not equal right for Hearing people. The Government doesn't give special school for the Deaf there are still challenges with the Teachers due to teachers doesn't know Language for the Deaf . For Uganda are imporovement schools for the Deaf but they still challenges with the Teachers due to Sign Language communication. I am in talking issue for the Disabilities persons education. Education for all young people around in African are still challenges with education due to financials. Some of many african like many children but failed to manage all the children. This bring us problems in college. Thank you!!!!

Renee

I would have chosen to go to school at my home state, or a state closer to home, and one that cost less than the one I go to now. I really thought I was going to be a doctor and all my doctors recommended Creigton, but I ended up dropping that career and went into Health Admin. With the economy, I should choose a school that my parents and myself could financially afford since right now I have taken on so many loans to help pay for my education and that fact is really taxing on all of us.

Nina

College is an amazing time. You will have the best times of your life while you're there and create amazing, lasting memories. Be outgoing. Talk to those people you are nervous around, because believe me, you will be happy you did. You will meet some people you will be close to, and others that you won't. You might be surprised at who you meet, and how it happens. You will fall in and out of love, and your goals might change, so don't be too set in anything. Be flexible. Do what you love, and cherish every second. It is a time that will be both frustrating and wonderful at the same time. You will love it. Just make that initial effort to connect with people, go out, have fun, and it will be well worth it. Try new things, because if you don't try them now you might not ever get to. Above all, enjoy yourself. You will discover things about yourself that you never knew, but you will love that new you. Have fun!

Phillip

College, much like life, is about working hard and not giving in to the temptation to quit. Like a bird or an aircraft school must be maintained in order to fly and without a pilot just as useless.

I would tell myself to continue to push through senior year. Also, to try and take a couple introductory college courses to become more prepared.

Kirstin

College is similar to high school; you attend classes and are given homework, such as reading and writing. My advice to you is whatever you have learned in the Advancement Via Individual Determination college preparatory class, you continue using it in college. You must be organized, maintain a binder and keep all your work in it, you might need those papers later to help you study for exams. Keep taking notes in all your classes so you can refer to them when you are preparing for an exam. Prioritize your work, do work that is important first than do the rest later. Keep a planner and write all your assignments and due dates, schedule times so you can get your work done. Finally, the last real advice is to keep your chin up, and stay focused. Do not let any of the doubts of your family or friends get in the way of you getting a good education. Just like that Disney quote ?keep moving forward.? Do not focus on the negative thoughts; focus on the positive ones, the ones that will help you become a physical therapist. You can do it!

When I found Creighton I really thought that Creighton had found me. I really believe that the school picks the person. Remember that finding a school shouldn't matter who has gone theire (parents) or who is going there (friends/boyfriend/girlfiend). The school you choose really reflects you. I chose a school that I didn't really know a lot about until a decided to take a tour and I fell in love. Just remember to always consider your options. If you don't consider everything you may be choosing a school for a wrong reason and that just leads to a college experience that is not desired and maybe even another year of searching later to transfer. Making the most of your college experience is very important, and a lot of it has to do with being at the school you want. Once you choose a school you really want to be at you will be more open to trying new things and meeting the other people who have chosen the school with you.

Madalyn

Talk to students; they aren't trying to sell you anything and aren't afraid to tell you the truth.

thu

take a tour, spend the night, ask current students questions and expect honest answers, attend a class, walk around and get a feel for things.

Lora

Lots of schools are good schools, what matters most in your education is the amount of effort you put in, because thats what you'll get out of it.

Nothing is more important than stepping foot on campus. Once hear i knew that this is where i belonged, and three years in it still is.

Make sure to choose a school based on your own wants and desires, not those of your friends or familys. Take into consideration the size of the school, such as the class size, and the location and size the the surrounding community. It was extremely important for me to have a school where I would have access to my professors.

Betsy

Research all the colleges you can and find ones that appeal to your stardards and your goals in life. Then, when choosing which college to pick, the best thing you can do is go visit each campus. You will just be able to know which college is right for you when you are there, you tend to get that warm fuzzy feeling! Once you have gotten though all that, make the most of your college experience! Get involved in things you have a passion for! Don't be afraid to be yourself! And always give your studies top priority, it may be hard at the time but you won't regret it later!

FRANSESCA

you will get out of it exactly what you put into it.

Autumn

Have fun and be open minded...don't limit yourself to classes in your "major." College is a time to discover what things intrest you, so TRY new things!

Teresa

Deciding upon the right college must be based upon who you are and who you want to become. As many people have said, college is a wonderful time to learn more about yourself; really, college is a time to grow. You have been growing into who you were intended to be your entire life, so picking a college should be a natural fit, although perhaps one that seems scary. You will not be changing who you are; rather, you will be growing into who you should become. Based upon what you do know of yourself, I suggest you choose a school with a comfortable location and size, academics in which you seek to become more knowledgable, but especially one with a solid liberal arts education. A variety of subjects enables you to wrap your mind around new topics, to think in fresh ways, and to be prepared to question. You are likely to fail, especially in those areas where you find you are weakest, but in overcoming your failures an in persisting forward, you will grow. This growth with help you to become more solidly grounded in your academic interests, but most importantly in knowledge of self, neighbor, and God.

I would encourage to definitely visit the campus before making a decision. My college was way out of my price league, and I never really gave it second thought, until I visited it and felt at home. Cost of tuition was definitely out of my league, but after finding financial aid the school offered, I was able to attend. So definitely visit the campus!

You've heard that college is the best four years of your life. That's only true if you make it that way. Pick a school which will allow you to thrive and develop into a well-rounded individual. To find the right college, make a list of about five items that are important in your unviersity. Religious affiliation, geographic location and small classes were a few of mine. However, be open-minded about universities that do not fit your list. To make the most out of the college experience, you must be proactive. Do not wait for your new lifelong friends to come find you, instead go knock on the door across the hall. Explore your interests, but do not let extracirriculars come before school work. Use your professors as resources. Take advantage of their office hours and develop a realtionship with them. You will be first on their list for research assistants or interns and you never know when you might need a recommendation.

The number one advice I would give to parents and students is, to decide what major you are thinking or are interested in. With that in mind, you will be able to find out what college will best suit your interests. Once your colleges are narrowed down to the major of your liking, interests like the size of classes (or the overall college itself) can then be used to distinguish some colleges. Lastly would be more specific personal interests (religion, art, writing, etc.) which should aide you in the right college. For example, Creighton is a Jesuit college and specializes not only in Business and Health Professions, but they also specialize in courses such as Theology. Many students are strongly religious, so wanting to be a Pre-med major and having a background that includes Catholicism would mean that Creighton may be one of the top choices. Also, other students will also have these interests in mind and befriending them may prove easier than expected. With the right major and new friends to help you along the way, the college experience is sure to a memorable one.

Natasha

You need to visit the campus before you agree to attend a college. You should also take classes during the summer. Don't get lazy. Procrastination is not helpful and hurts you more in the end. You need to take a full course load until you are a senior. Live on campus or at a Greek Organization House. It is better for social interactions.

Consider if your student is ready to go to college. I am in favor of more students taking a year or two to work, to travel, or to participate in a service learning opportunity that will allow them time for some introspection. Graduting college with a huge amount of debt and no job prospects is a situation too many students are headed towards. Visit campuses. Figure out if what you are interested in pursuing in school will open many doors or channel you down a narrow path. Try to find a professional in the field who will let you shadow them for a week or two. Most of all, students and parents should keep in mind that people in America today are still working full or part time into their 70's. Choosing the career you will have for 50 years as the age of 18 or 20 is intimidating. If doors open up, walk through them. Make the most out of the time when you have to be only responsible for yourself... before there are spouses and kids and mortgages. See some of the world before you settle into the cubicle.

Find something that fits you.

Unless you are planning on doing some kind of pre-professional program or you have an exorbitant amount of money to spend on tuition, Creighton is probably not worth the private college price tag. If you do end up at Creighton, the best way to make the most of your college experience is to get involved early by attending the involvement fair. Use your freshman year to build a social network, but don't forget to spend adequate time on your studies. As you get up into the upper level courses you'll find that studying will take up increasing amounts of your time. Anticipate this change and adjust your life accordingly. Your grades are important, but as any pre-professional student should know, what you learn and the knowledge you retain is of much greater importance than any GPA. Last but not least - work hard, but don't stress. Have fun, you only get one college experience so make the most of it.

Choose a college based on what courses are offered. Just because the price tag is higher doesn't mean that there is more quality education. Most state schools are just as good as private schools.

Don't waste your money on in expensive school if you aren't planning on taking your education seriously, giving it your all, and working your butt off. Make sure you pick a college that has a wide variety of majors, including the one you think is for you. Pick a college that has a lot of activities available and good resouces for students. Always, always, always visit a campus and stay overnight before choosing to go there.

There is not "one" right college out there for you or your student, so don't think that if you don't pick the one right college for you, that you will be unhappy for the next four years. There are many colleges that would be good or even great places for you to attend. Knowing this can take some of the stress off of your college search. If you can not afford the college that you have your heart set on, and the scholarships don't cover the costs, then think long and hard before you take out loans. Many college graduates with heavy debt loads struggle for years to repay those loans. In the long run, you might get a better education and have a better economic position when you graduate if you choose a college that you can afford. Avoid the traps of alcohol that care present on many campuses.

Do your research. When I picked my college it was solely based on financial need. If I was looking for a college that would allow me the full experience that i was expecting I'm sure that this would not have been the one selected. Look into the main reason for attending and make sure that the college considered first fits those needs. Then check for all secondary opportunities that the college may possibly afford the student. If by chance one is a transfer/ non-traditional student, please look into programs that will allow you to get involved in school activities that don't make you feel like the old one in the room. That's one thing that I didn't check on and wished I did. I took me much longer to find out about helpful programs when I was searching alone. Hope these few words will help someone in the future. :)

If I could give you one piece of advice students, do not look for the college that you believe will be the most impressive to future employers; instead, impress those employers with your knowledge of what you want and your determination to attain it regardless of the obstacles that stand between you and your goal. To the parents, encourage your sons and daughters to find the college that makes them feel happy and at home and then to do what they are passionate about. Success stems from passion and is rooted in self-understanding, nuture these.