Saint Bonifacius, MN

Crown College

« See more reviews of Crown College

I have gotten a lot of experience from Crown College, a Christian and Missionary School. Like a typical school, students feel more independent from who they were to get homework done, be organize , and active with activities. Also to earn a degree in something. But what I got out school is to learn in depth in my academics, especially in communication classes, lots of hands similar to work in the real world, made and to continue to make life-long friends, learned how to balance life out with work, sleep, and fun activities, a better relationship with God and of course to be independent. It has been valuable because these things help me to grow logically, spiritually, physicially. More logically by learning the academics, thinking critically, and being creative. More spiritually being with christian people and studying the bible more. More physically by being active in track, hands on work like working with a video camera, and by staying busy. College life is worth is as what you put into it will come out valuablely. I had realized and I continue to do, is to put even more effort towards everything and it will be valuable to attend.

My first advice to parents and/or students when finding the right college is to first consider the school's mission and priorities. Ask yourself: What this school's highest value? Is it acedemics? Religion? Athletics? etc. Weigh in these values. Your personal values and priorities should match your schools values and priorities. In other words, be what your school is about. Second , consider the environement in which the school is located in. The college you choose is going to be your home for the next four years or more. Consider the fact that it is highly unlikely that you'll spend all of your spare time on campus. Therefore, consider the city in which the school is located; what does this city have to offer you and how does it benefit your interests. If you have considers these two things and still haven't come to a decision, then you should consider school facilities such as dorms, dining, labs, and library. Lastly, consider financial. This obviously benefits you in a huge way and the subject is innevitable in every situation. Besides, if you are what the school is about, the school will more than likely help pay your way.

Don't fret over what to expect. The first day of classes can be overwhelming, and it usually is for EVERY freshman college student. Don't worry, because there is help everywhere. All the upperclassmen have been in your shoes. Just let yourself go. Smile at everyone, you will make friends quickly for that smile would more than likely calm their pounding or aching heart. Leaving your family is hard, but just know that all the freshman have to do the same thing. When you receive your syllabus, don't freak out. When you get back to your dorm at the end of the day and plop in your chair by your laptop, simply make a calendar on your computer with Microsoft Publisher (at least that's what I used!) and write down each assignment on the day it's due: Capitalize EXAMS, PAPERS, PRESENTATIONS, etc. It's not going to be a problem once you organize yourself. They give you due dates ahead of time which I feel is a blessing, for you can think days ahead for exams and the like. Also, do homework in the main building and make friends! Get involved: JUMP INTO THE COLLEGE LIFE!!!!!

A child's development is very important to me and to our future. I decided to go back to school so I could increase my knowledge and gain the confidence in myself that I needed to be a better Children's Ministry Director. Attending Crown College's Adult Accelerated Learning Program has already started to build that confidence in myself. I have a sense of accomplishment because I am going after what I want and am making it happen. I have received admiration from fellow moms, wives and office associates that has also increased my desire to succeed at achieving my goal. I also consider my college experience a valuable lesson for my children. They are seeing firsthand the importance of finishing college first. Marriage and children can wait but in today's world you can't get by without some type of degree. On the other hand, they are learing that it is never to late to acheive your goal in life. Personally, my college experience is invaluable because it is providing me with the ability to help children in their development of Christian character and values.

There are a few important things one must understand in choosing the right college. The first is that one must look toward the future of what one is trying to accomplish. Do not be pressured to find a college right away. Take your time even if it means taking a semester or two off. Not only will this relieve stress off the future student, but also provide time to prepare the funding necessary to attend college. The second important thing is a college's education and expense. It is important to know the atmosphere and culture of the campus that you will one day be attending. College visits are important for both the parents and future student. Along with the campus and education of the college is the cost of the educational institution. The reason being is if one is ill informed of the high cost of college when it is time to pay off loans it can make one question all of one's choices from the college one had attended to major and all the inbetween. No matter where one goes they will receive a college experience, it is up to you to make the most of it.

Start early! I work with 6th-8th graders in the inner city, and we just took them to 4 different colleges around the Twin Cities just to get their minds thinking about college. Also keep their minds open about different colleges, they need to figure out if they want their college in the same state, if they want a private school, if the want a state school, will it be big or small? I choose Crown because I love Minnesota, and I knew I wanted to go to a small private Christian college, and thats exactly what I got. Parents are one of the biggest tools for thier teenager. Remember to encourage your child, you want whats best for them, but you do not want to choose for them, because this will be one of their first big decisions that they will make on their own. When you get to school, meet as many people as possible, the college will have something called "Welcome Weekend" and that is where you will meet all of the imcoming freshman. Be yourself, and remember you are in school, it might seem like just fun and games at first, but work hard.

The greatest advice I would give myself is to trust God and practice the violin very hard! College is a difficult transition period from being dependent on one's parents and moving towards living on one's own. When the assignments come pouring in and stress continues to build until the due dates, temptation arises to panic. I found that when you relax through the difficulty, do your homework, and trust God, everything always gets done! There is no need for panic. Also, many life decisions are made in college. Instead of fearing, trust that God will work everything out according to plan. The second thing I would tell myself is to practice violin very dilliegently. Practice is necessary to use the gifts God has given me to become the best I can at the violin and give Him the glory. I would then remind myself that it is not important whether or not I am the best violinist in the area. What is most important is that I play as well as I can and that I am humble with my talents. Thanks be to God, the great giver of gifts!

I would tell myself to get out and experience what I love in a setting that tests me in order to find my passions. It's so easy for a high schooler to "feel" that he or she knows what's best for him or her. I, myself, as a senior loved singing in choir, enjoyed working with those younger than myself, and "felt" that being a choir teacher would be best for me. Freshman year of college came and I immersed myself in music classes. Yes, I enjoyed it, but at the end of the year I still felt like there were life questions unanswered. The summer after, I decided to work at a camp for children and youth to experience working with young people in a new setting. I found my passion there, which is to work with children and teens in a church setting. How did I come to this realization? I experienced the rigors of youth under conditions that tested me and forced me out of my comfort zone...but it made me come alive. The joy even after the hard work made me realize it's more than a feeling--it's my passion.

The advice that I would go back in time to give myself would be to try harder. I did not try very hard in high school, so I would definately tell myself to put forth more effort on things. I'm not under my parents' wing anymore, so I have to fend for myself in a way. I can't afford to not try. I need give my grades everything that I have, because if I don't , I wouldn't be able to come here anymore. I would say, "Carrie, college is going to be hard. Start preparing for it now and don't take the easy way out." I would also advise myself to prepare for cultural and ethnic diversity. I come from a very small town, so there is not much diversity at all. But since coming to Crown, I've noticed how many kinds of people there are, sharing my school with me. I all of a sudden have classes with people who are so unlike myself. It's very refreshing, but it was a shock. Overall, my high school years were great, but if I could go back, I would definately do some things differently.

Don't be discourage about the tuition, it's real expensive but God provides alright. Stay ontop of school work, mom and dad and your siblings are looking up to you, so you got to make it. Cheufue, you got to really believe that God called you here. Your here for a reason, even when your grades weren't the best in high school, God will make a way for you to come to Crown and make ends meet financially. Always remember that God is faithful and everyday has it's own problems to worry about. Take everyday one step at a time, by the time you know it you will be wherever God wants you to be if your hearts in it. That's why God put you here, because he placed it in your heart to love people and make a change. Keep your head up and remember to surrender your life to God and serving other people, for Christ did that for you and those who haven't heard of the good news. Look at what the other graduates before had to give up. Don't be selfish and learn to truly live life with love.