Canton, MO
Culver-Stockton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Culver-Stockton College

Gabriella

I really enjoy it here. The people are nice and you have plenty of opportunity to do things. Even kids who aren't from the United States are accepted and encouraged to get involved. We have students from several countries. From Latin America to Saudi Arabia. They are given chances to be themselves and to also teach others of their culture and partake in ours. It's just how everything is here on "The Hill".

Rachael

Culver-Stockton College is a private institution in Canton, Missouri. They provide an excellent college experience for their students and the history of the college is very fascinating. The campus is gorgeous, especially in the winter. I think that they provide many opportunities for their students academically through their scholarships and travel study opportunities, sports-related due to the number of scholarships they give through recruitment, and they provide their students with an amazing staff. I have found it to be very easy to get ahold of a professor if needed which comes in handy. They also provide a tutoring center where students can go to get extra help with a class, editing on a paper, or help studying. All of their tutors performed top in the class you are requesting help with so their input is very useful. I am glad that I chose to attend Culver-Stockton College.

HAeneise

Culver-Stockton College is an institution where one creates incredible relationships with professors , learn as much as one can in four to five years and take away many valuable lessons that would prove to be most beneficial to one's life. In my personal experience, I'd say I enjoyed the way all the professors seeked to guide me to my academic goal. I'm also on the track team and as far as athletics go, the coaches are always willing to go the extra mile with their athletes sharing the hard work and dedication needed to be an outstanding performer. Many times my track coach not only coached us at meets but participated with us as well. Culver-Stockton College over all is a school who seeks to meet the student's needs and guide its students in the direction of success and in finishing my freshman year, I can say that I've experienced this first hand.

Edward

I’ve enjoyed my time at Culver-Stockton. The education is great, campus is beautiful, and everyone is so helpful. One of my favorite things is not only are the people nice, but the staff as well. Everyone is looking for different ways to get people involved in the variety of clubs. I definitely made an amazing choice by coming to Culver-Stockton College.

Shelby

I am happy I chose Culver and I know I made the right choice coming here. Being a smaller school makes me more comfortable with my classes becuse I know my professors personally, as oppose to being just another face in the back of the lecture hall. At Culver-Stockton, student are important.

Deena

Culver-Stockton College is my dream school. Overall, I have made so many new friends there and always manage to have a good time. Even study sessions seem to be fun at Culver. Although the food in the cafeteria needs some love, everything else is great in my mind. I totally recommend this school for anyone looking for that small town experience.

Brianna

I came to Culver-Stockton College hoping for a bright future, superb education, and many opportunities. Instead, I was greeted with a poor excuse for a school on every level. The classes, teachers, buildings, and parking lots all fall much below any expectations for an institution. Perhaps you should spend a little less time writing parking tickets, and more time repairing and expanding the parking lots. Not only is there not enough parking for students with residential parking passes, the parking lots are poor quality and narrow at best. I can’t even get my car out of the Arc parking lot or the Wood and Shannon parking lots without scraping the entire bottom and front end of my car. I’ve already had to have my bumper entirely put back on again, and I had to have the splashguard underneath replaced because of the low quality roads. I can’t help but notice that the staff parking lots are nicely paved and never full. It’s depressing that I’m emptying my savings to attend this institution, and yet you can’t find the funds to fix a couple lots that are already too small. It makes me wonder where my money is actually going. The money obviously isn’t going into the dorms or repairs. The outlet in my room is falling out of the wall and onto the heater, which is way too hot even at its lowest setting. There are also only two outlets in the entire room. There are holes in the walls big enough for my hands to fit through. Very classy being that Shannon is twenty-two years newer than Wood, but it is widely known as the worst dorm on campus. Updates need to be made. Our money also can’t be going into finding appropriate teachers either. I can safely say I’ve learned very little this year, and what I have learned, has been on my own time. I worked over two years scraping tips off tables to pay for school. All of that money has been poured into this semester and I’m not sure what I’m paying for anymore. The reputation of this school between students is that it’s an easy school for kids with wealthy parents. As far as I can tell, that is completely accurate. None of my teachers have the slightest bit of technological inclination, which is fine, except when they are supposed to be teaching me about it. My design teacher was supposed to teach us how to use Adobe Illustrator. Having that skill is vital to having an art degree these days. Since she doesn’t know how to use it, she gave us a packet of instructions, told us to teach ourselves, and then graded the outcome harshly. I’m paying 7,000 dollars a semester to teach myself? That’s a bit unorthodox. I’m also enrolled in an First Year Experience class about blogging. The 12 week is almost over, and I still don’t know how to use the site and neither does my instructor. Most of our time is spent sitting in the class wasting time, while being talked to like children. She grades us on class behavior, rewards us with stickers, and tries to bribe us with candy to use our planners. As adults that are pouring money into this school, I foolishly expect a bit more out of my classes. It is a general, class consensus that our instructor is just brazenly rude without warrant. The art program is an entirely different story. You might as well just shut it down. It consists of dark dingy basement that use to be an indoor pool. There are never enough supplies for everyone. Even with the 85$ class fee plus tuition, it’s near impossible to even find a pair of scissors that work. There aren’t proper drawing tables, and the drawing boards that do exist, are scarce. Not only are the supplies poor, teaching quality hardly reaches colligate standards. My two dimensional design class spent over half of the semester learning about lines and balance. These activities were appropriate for freshman year in high school. I have yet to learn anything about how to make a good design or how to use Adobe Illustrator. My drawing class is a combination of art majors and non-majors. College is a time to focus on one thing you’re good at, and get better at it. The non-majors in the class hold all of the majors back. I have yet to get any better at drawing because the class has been made easier for the non majors. We spent 3/4ths the semester drawing lines and spheres. There is also no solid grading system or due dates in the art classes I attended. We were given a very loose, flexible due date for assignments. If it wasn’t turned in on time, there was no penalty for those who were late. Some students chose to totally disregard the assigned work, and create whatever they wanted. These students were not penalized. Why should I show up to class every day and do the assignment if the person next to me is going to do whatever they want and get the same grade as me? My professor couldn’t grasp the reason for lack of attendance. By having no presence of authority, you will get no respect as a teacher or a superior. Your lack of control of the alcohol on campus is fascinating to me. I cannot describe how tired I am of babysitting intoxicated minors. As I talk to more upperclassmen, they share with me how many students have died in alcohol related incidents. Susan Moon also shared with us how much sexual assault happens on campus in situations involving alcohol. I understand that you can’t control everything, but when there are CA’s in freshman houses drinking, that sets an extremely poor example. I’ve also seen Campus Safety walk into a party and do nothing about the obvious intoxication of minors. Does that mean nothing to you as a school? How long until somebody else is assaulted? How long until another under-aged, intoxicated person gets behind the wheel? I understand that we are adults now, but as an educational institute, you bear the responsibility for what happens on your campus. How pleased do you think parents would be if they knew what goes on here? This should be embarrassing for you. It really highlights the school’s lack of logic and authority. I graduated high school early to get a jump start on my education. Instead, I feel as if this semester has set me back. I was fooled into thinking this was a serious school, and I’m disappointed to find out that it’s a joke. I’ll be transferring at the semester, and from the students I’ve talked to, I know I’m not the only one ready to get out of here. I look forward to spending my summer working every second I can to earn back a portion of the money that I wasted here. Thank you for robbing me of my time, money, and education. I’ll make a point to share my experience with others. Sincerely, Brianna Gabel

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go here because they made it look really nice.

I never thought I could think of a college as home but at our campus I do. I love our faculty and staff just like my aunts and uncles. President Valentine is the best also; him and I have had multiple lunch dates and he tells me all sorts of stories just like my grandfather would.

The most popular activities and groups varies from year to year. However, Greek life is HUGE on our campus. Over 40% of our campus is greek.

Most students are friendly but as with any school anywhere there are students that have not grown out of that "high school image."

This year it is hard to answer a question like this because so many of the faculty members are in transition. the upperclassmen and sophomores are more than willing to work thought this and help to the best of their ability but for freshman it is discouraging.

Students are campus do more community service work for their community than any other school in the area. For the past two years we have done a program called Extreme Dome Makeover. Local families that need assistance in their house of some form have students come down and we paint, lay tile, plant flowers, put up siding and do other helpful things to improve the homeowners place.

Owen

Culver Stockton College is a DOC affiliated liberal arts college. CSC is tiny, only has approximately 800 students. Most people don't know where it is, especially when the town is small as well. The town consists of 3 gas stations, 2 bars (one that only serves beer, no hard liqour), Dollar General, a grocery story, a farm store, 2 motels, Subway, and PizzaHut. The nearest Wal-Mart is a 20 minute drive away. It's an absolutely gorgeous campus, sits on top of a hill that overlooks the Mississippi River and you can see into IL. It's also a dry (no alcohol policy) campus, however they are working on changing that into a "Moist" policy (meaning that you are allowed beer, and only a certain amount per person, and must be of age). Our football team is pitiful, but they try very hard. Athletics are important to most of the students, and the coaches are strict about their academic preformance.

CSC is a bit clique-orientated. There's people involved with sports and those who aren't, and people that are involved in greek life and those that aren't. Unfortunately Greek Life tends to override everyone else, and to some of the staff, if you aren't involved in a sorority or frat, then you don't exist. Many of the students don't treat each other like that however. Most students tend to dress down for class, to the point that you can't walk to class without seeing at least a dozen students still in pajamas.

For some students, it sucks. But if you are a small town person, and want to go to college where you feel comfortable walking at 3 am, and where there is little to no violence on campus, then this is a good place. It isn't up to the college to make it what it is, it's up to you as the student.

Half the campus isn't religious, or not crazily so. The students are average mostly, just like all colleges, there are bad students and good students. And the Financial Aid that they come up with makes it easy for anyone to afford if they choose so.

Professors that haven't had you in class for 3 years still remember your name. Unlike large colleges and universities, you aren't a number, you're a name, and even the president makes a point of remembering you. Class sizes are 35 students tops, and that's in the general education classes. When looking into major directed classes, they tend to be from 5-20 students. The psychology department has only 3 professors in it, and you can't go 4 years without having them all multiple times, giving you an advantage to knowing the professors testing styles, lecturing, etc. Most classes are a mixture of hands-on learning, lecturing, and student discussions, making classes to be less monotomous. The professors are mostly very good at working with students outside of class if needed. There is also a counselor that during your senior year works with you on finding a job. They hold job fairs, help build resumes, and find jobs in your area if you aren't from the area.

There are 3 sororities, 4 frats, and dozens of other groups and clubs, and there seems to be something for everyone. Everything is very close together, you can get from one side of the campus to the other with a lazy 15 minute walk and still be able to stop and say hello to people. We have speakers and other events almost weekly, if not multiple times a week. There are many job opportunites on campus to help students that need a job but don't want to drive or can't due to lack of vehicle. Even though the campus is dry, there is always a party to go to, and as small as the campus is, it isn't awkward just walking into someone's room to hang out. You know most students, and they mostly know you, making it easy to fight, but easy to be friends. Homecoming is a crazy weekend every year, and many of the students turn it into a week-long celebration. The college also makes the transition from high school to college easier by hosting "Wildcat Welcome", an event where the new students move in several days early and get fimilar with each other and the campus by having multiple activies a day.

Most that we are all deeply religious good samaritains, must all be smart and rich to get into a private school and afford it.

Culver-Stockton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.