Culver-Stockton College Top Questions

Kirwin

My college experience has definitely been a wild, unpredictable, messy yet amazing ride all at once. As far as academics I was totally prepared because I had taken advanced placement classes in high school. So naturally my first semester I kicked butt in all my classes and came out victoriously without breaking a sweat. My second semester was very difficult but I still emerged victoriously and even did better than my first semester. College has also allowed me to live up to my zodiac sign, leo. I have learned that I am a natural born leader, trendsetter, loud, proud of who I am, and very goal oriented. I have embraced my inner party girl no thanks to drugs or alcohol. My friends took notice to that and took my behavior as example. Basically I have learned the beauty of time management, being true to one self, and setting a good example for my peers. I do not regret any of the risks I have taken my freshman year of college and will continue to try new things so I can stay active and energetic about life.

Brooke

In my freshman year of college I learned so much more about life than just what was taught in the classroom. At Culver-Stockton I learned that to succeed one must get involved and meet new people everyday. I have learned great networking skills and as a sophomore Culver has already well prepared me for future interviews. I am so glad I picked Culver because I believe that when I graduate I will be well prepared for the work force and be an important addition to my future work place.

The opportunity to become more independent and to take on new responsibilities is what I got out of my college experience. I will never forget my college years. Some of us may want to forget our college years, but for me it was a time of anxiety, anticipation, and wonderful discoveries. I was my own boss. I stayed up late talking about everything with my dorm regular bull session buddies and sleeping in on light class days. I made a lot of new friends. Believe it or not, my college friendships have been among the most satisfying and long-term. It was exciting to discover how diverse college relationships can be. It was valuable to attend college because it?s not just about getting a degree, but finding out who you really are.

Kelsey

Twist(ing) and Shout(ing) at social events, learning independent financial skills (like paying the Taxman), knowing when to study and when to Let it Be in my academic work, and finding out that All You Need is Love are just a few of the many ways in which college has made my life Come Together. A Day in the Life of a college student like me would definitely show Something important to anyone who thinks that college is not worth the money. With a Litte Help From my Friends, family, and (a lot) from God, not only am I getting a first rate education, but my life experiences and relationships are growing deeper. I am never the same person as I was Yesterday. That is all the value I will ever need.

Amber

The things i have gotten out of college experinece is Knowledge, Courage, and Respect. These three things has helped me become the person I am today because of college experience. Knowledge has been vaulable to me is because i have learned many new things such as math, bussiness, and history. These things has helped me gained knowledge to help me in my every day life. Another vauleable experience i have learned is courage. When i first applied to college, I had a lot of pressure because I was the first person in my family to attend college, but because I decided to attend college, I've gained a lot of courage. The last vauleable experience i have gained and is valueable is respect. Respect is so important to me because my mom doubted me and she thought that i would never go to college but i did and i have gotten her respect and i respect myself. In conclusion I feel as i got a lot of experience from college such as knowledge, courage, and respect. This has been vaulable to me in so many ways to not only to help me in college but in life as well.

William

I have been recieving an excellent education at my local community college that will prepare me for the workforce, upon completion of my degree. I look forward to completing the necessary classes to complete my academic goals. Scholarships wil enable me to do that. Thank you very much for a chance at a scholarship.

Wayne

I have mature, more of a responsible person. I have learn to grow up. It has definitely prepared me for the outside world. Even though the campus is small I find it rewarding to me because of the intereaction wtih students and faculty. It has made me strive for the best and if it were not for the campus being small I do not know if I would have been well grounded. I have adjusted quite well because of the campus being small. I oh so feel very safe. When I am at home I generallly am ready to go back because of the security I feel when I am at school.

My college education has provided me with an opportunity that I would not have otherwise been able to experience. Recently, the college has turned to a curriculum involving more of a hands-on experience in the classroom. I have had the opportunity to visit businesses in the area in different career areas. Next year, I will have the chance to take a study abroad trip to Europe to learn about the business world in a different country. Other students have had the opportunity to take internships with businesses, which have resulted in a job after graduation.

Joseph

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would definetly tell myself to be more focused. When I was a senior in high school I was more concerned about hanging out with my friends and being active in my school rather than preparing for college. When I was in high school I never had to study for a test or worry about my grades, but then when I got to college it was very different as I struggled my freshmen year because I was not used to having to try really hard at my school work. I am now a sophmore and more focused on what I need to do in order to succeed as a college student and in the future. I would also tell myself to fill out more scholarship applications. I did not complete any applications and the only financial aid I recieved was from my college and money I recieved as a result of filling out the fafsa. I believe I could of recieved much more aid if I would of filled out more scholarships.

Kayla

As a high school senior, I thought I was ahead of the game by already being accepted to my school of choice and already having the down-payment ready. I quit working as hard in the first semester and my GPA suffered because of it. After my first semester, I freaked out and tried harder than ever before. If I could go back and talk to my previous self, I would advise myself to always work hard because you never know who is watching or what you might regret later. I would also tell myself that while I was working to make an income to help pay for college, my education was still the goal. I needed to focus on the present and less towards future.

Katie

High school is not the end. College is not the end. As exciting as moving on is both are phases and lifephases only last so long. You want to have fun because you'll never get this opportunity again, but still owing money is a heavy, heavy load. Try to find another scholarship to ease your school debt a little - you didn't know what you were getting into. Learn to manage your credit and your money; life unforntuately requires a lot of both, these days. Sleep is overrated and you won't get much in the next few years anyway, but don't miss all the sunrises either. And take more computer and technology classes!

Fully apply yourself and work hard in high school.

Kelsey

If I could go back to being a senior in high school, I would tell myself to not stress about making new friends and how I was going to handle my college classes. In high school I got alright grades, but I look back now and I really wish I would have done better because in college I'm succeding much more than what I ever tried in high school. I would tell myself to keep my grades at a higher average. Another thing I always feared about going to college was making new friends and living in a dorm where I had to share a bathroom with a bunch of different people. If I could go back I would tell myself it is a life changing experience and to not be scared because everyone is anxious about meeting people on the first day of college and everyone thinks about having to share a bathroom and showers with a bunch of other people. I realized everyone worries, but in the end it turns out being the most enjoyable time of your life. You just have to let all your worries go and enjoy your education and college fun.

Brett

Do not take anything for granted. With all of the hussel that is essential to our everyday lives, we have to think fast in order to keep up with it. Too many days go by when I think about "what if" or "could I have." I spend too much time wondering what would have been different if I had just taken a little more time to think about some things rather than just go. Life is never too busy to stop and think. Think about the outcome,...the entire outcome. What the action really is, who it will affect, what might happen if it goes wrong, do you really want the outcome if it goes right? Is it worth it? Winning is not the most important thing, and neither are sports. Education is the only thing that is going to help later in life. Money is getting harder and harder to come by. Save your money. College is not about athletics. Being able to start a life with a steady job thanks to a degree shows the hard work of a college student. A lot of people go on to play sports professionally, and you are not one of them.

Kelsey

Have you ever seen a picture of a mad scientist that looks like he or she has done just one to many experiments that have gone wrong? The picture cannot be complete without the frazzled hair and crazed look in the scientist's eye. Well, that was me my senior year of high school. I stressed myself out day and night over what I should major in, how I was going to pay for college, what school I should go to, and what my future plans were. My friends would always joke about how I was always sick and stressed out. Looking back, I would tell myself to relax because in the end, everything worked out well. I should have had more confidence in myself and the people close to me about the daunting, upcoming decisions. The transitional experience has taught me that I should trust myself with life decisions and not worry to the point of becoming sick. Plato's advice still rings true today, "Know thyself." I've come a long way from the confused, pimpily high school senior from Illinois. I can't wait to see what knowing myself will bring in life to come.

Emma

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take the difficult and challenging classes. I would also tell myself that your GPA is very important once you get to college, and so is your ACT.

Erin

I would tell myself that professors are not at the college to make my life harder: they are there to help. I would also say that even though the professors can give you all the tools to succeed, as a student, I still need to make an effort to learn. Also, I would say that the transition isn't as bad as people say it is. I would say that I must always stay true to myself and my ideals, because people will respect you for whatever you think, if you truly believe it. The most important thing to remember is that in high school, teachers teach you a lesson and then give you homework; in colloege, they give you homework and expect it to be done in preparation for the lesson.

Ken

I never graduated high school, so I can't tell you what that felt like; however, I remember what it was like to be eighteen with a GED and trying to excel in the world. Given what I now know I would encourage myself to finish high school and let myself know that not only would I have to face supporting myself, but within a very short time I would also be supporting a family. I would convey to myself the gratitude I feel for those that have taught me and the self confidence I have gained by asserting myself. I would tell myself that I could avoid near death experiences and ten years of scraping and scrounging just to survive and that in doing so I may even be able to benefit others. Many times I have wished that my life had gone differently and that I could talk to that kid again, but it happened because of the bad decisions I made. Today, I wouldn't be as dedicated as I am without those bad choices so perhaps I wouldn't say anything at all.

Do not worry so much. Life will turn out like it is and you can not change the past. You have done well and worked hard. Live today and always be true yourself because it does not matter what other people think. Joke, Laugh, Love and be open and all will be well.

Mistie

"Hello self!" Mistie think about what you are doing, you are concentrating way too much on school work Your so called social life is non-existant, and talking in big crowds makes you so nervous that public speaking is harder than a monkey opening a coconut. Do not make me remind you have not been on a date, or even attempted to talk to a man (boy). Athletic-ability, brains, and school participation oh yes an "A+", but social and public speaking well let's just say you get an "NI' (needs improving) to put that aspect politely. When is the last time you went out with the girls, or even talked on the phone with your best friend? Being lonely and not being able to speak to strangers in public is "no bueno (good)". Life is harder when developing those characteristics to your personality. Trust me, take more public speaking classes, and "go-out" once in a while (meaning dating as well) and life in college will not be as awkward or as difficult. :-)

Reba

I would tell myself that I could do it if I put my mind to it. When I started college I was overwhelmed by the trasition because of the horror stories that I had heard about college life. I had heard that the classes were impossible and if you didn't spend your life studying you would not get it. I am not the best at comprehending, so i figured if it was hard for regular people who can comprehend well then i would flunk out for sure. As time went on, I was involved in a First Year Experience (FYE) class. The FYE class taught us about time/stress managment. This helped me greatly. Now the only advice that i would give myself, or any other incoming freshman, is that: college is not to much for you, put forth the effort and the grades will follow, don't become overwhelmed, and stick to what you know. Thank you.

In high school, work as hard as you can and try to learn as much as you can. Do not ever give up and strive for the best. Once you get in to college you can use those skills. Colleges reward you for getting good grades in high school, so never settle for a B. Learning time management skills is another key to making college easier. There are so many papers and projects due at the same time in college that it can be very overwhelming. Being able to pace yourself and knowing when to get things done can make it less overwhelming than it can be. Always try to learn as much as you can in high school because in someway you will use it in college. Pay attention to Communication Arts. In college you do so many papers that knowing how to write them properly will make it easier. Never give up on reading. You should read all the time. It will help you in writing papers and comprehending the reading material. Reading also builds your vocabulary and can help your writing skills and spelling. Reading is a big thing I wish I did more.

evans

If i would go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I will firs emphasise the need to take my studies more seriously.I would tell myself to take my studies more seriously so that I may have a chance in many prestigious schools which I can choose one from. I would prepare myself for sleepless nights trying to read huge books with many pages, type paper for my classes and be ready to make decisions by my own since i will be away from my parents. I would start by tring to prepare myself by balancing my social, academic and work life from high school since in college I would need to do that more and I would definately teach myself how to write short notes in class since in college I will not be given notes by my lecturer.

Dakota

Don't stress out so much. You'll find exactly where you belong. Enjoy high school while you still have it. If you think that it's going by fast, you have no idea how fast college will go. When you get to school you'll learn a lot and you'll make amazing friends. Just be yourself and the people that connect with you will be the best friends you've ever had. Keep up your grades and try because trying is all there is to do. You'll fail sometimes, but that's part of life. Get back up and try again. I know that you can make it.

Angela

If I had to go back and talk to myself I would tell me to get more involved with college activities. I would also tell myself to study more and try harder in certain classes in which i knew i wasnt very good in. Lastly I would say to stay true to yourself and your morals and beliefs.

Robyn

Knowing what I 've learned about college life and making the transition from a highschool senior to a college student, I would advise myself about friendships, academics, resources, and responsibility. Now that I realize how easily friends grow apart when they go away to school, I would encourage myself to spend as much time as I can with my friends and to do what you can to stay in touch. Friends are lifesavers for "homesickness". I'd also tell myself to utilize all learning opportunites and learn all I can from my highschool classes. Most of the material presented in highschool is helpful in college classes. Furthermore, I'd advise building good relationships with my highschool teachers. These people can be great resources for interviews, information, and recommendations for jobs or programs. Lastly, I would inform myself to being assuming more responsibility for myself. I've learned once in college, you have much more responsibility to take care of yourself. Before I made the transition, I should have better prepared myself for this by relying more on myself rather than my parents and teachers. Such suggestions would have better prepared me for college and eased the transition.

Deandra

The advice I would give myself is, come in with a positive attitude. Even though you will be a "little" freshman, come in knowing that everyone else has been in the same spot. I would also tell myself to get out and meet as many people as possible. Do not hold back and never let people tell you what to do. Always keep your head on your shoulders and use your brain. An important point I would make would be do not let your new friends peer pressure you. Do what you know is right and always stick to your opinion. I would also tell myslef to be kind and considerate to everyone, even if they do not like you because someday they will realize what they lost. Considering the academics here, I would que myself in on keeping my studies up and to always get things done. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!!!!! Procrastination is the worst thing a college student could do. Even though many of them rely on it. So in the big picture I would say study, work hard, make lasting friendships and have the time of your life.

Danielle

Enjoy every minute. College is a life-changine experience, but high school memories are irreplaceable. Go to every school event that you can and spend time with your friends. You can't understand how much they mean to you until they are three hours away. Be happy. Don't let yourself have a bad day beacause you will wish you had those days back once they are gone. Don't let the little things get you down and don't let yourself get caught up in petty drama. Enjoy yourself and have a good time. Laugh as often as you can and even be a little micheivious now and then. Let your parents know how important they are to you, and cherish every time your mom does your laundry. Never complain about your mom's cooking either because you'll really miss it after a week or two eating cafeteria food. College is a new chapter in your life, so make sure you end your high school chapter with a happily ever after.

Kiana

I would tell myself to pace myself. I know I was uber involved in high school and took on pretty much everything, but in college there's so much more to experience! I'd let myself know it's ok to try different things through out my years and not everything at once. Also, I'd tell myself everything will be ok. You'll get used to moving from the city to somewhere in the middle of nowhere, that you're friends back home won't forget you, and you'll still have many adventures. Most imporantly, I'd tell myself to keep going and keep holding onto your dreams, and never loose sight of who you are.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior I would definately tell myself to calm down, it's not as bad as you think it is. When people tell you that it's the best time of your life, they mean it. But also I would say "Ashley, realize what you need for your future, you can't always have fun." That is the problem with most freshman in college, getting their priorities straight. I learned a lot this first semester, and realized I can't take it back, i would tell myself to calm down and think about whats really important. Having fun? Or working towards a better future?

Don't worry. I a couple of years you will go to a great college that will change your life forever. You will growing into a greater leader, student and athlete than your can have never imaged. And though all the challenges you may face you will come out even stronger and wiser.

Leanne

As I said earlier, my biggest "regret" is not taking more college classes while I was still in high school. By doing so, I would currently be enrolled in higher level accounting courses and I wouldn't have to wait until my senior year to take many difficult classes all at once. I tell many of my high school friends to take as many college classes as they can to not only accumulate college credits, but to also get used to the professors and the amount of homework. It wasn't difficult for me to make the transition to college. I would consider myself very disciplined and organized, but some people aren't so fortunate. Many of my friends have struggled with time management and staying on top of their homework. My biggest advice to high school seniors is to buy and use a daily planner. Keeping track of what you need to do and when it needs to get done will help you to be a very successful college student, and I can attest to this.

Heather

I would tell myslef to accept the changes tha will occur and go with the flow.

Jason

When I was a senior in highschool the thought of college did not scare much. Although my performace was mediocre, I tended not apply myself and still recieved satisfactory grades. To my advance knowledge on life at the time, as every young student is more wise about their education than the teachers, I thought I would be able to do the same kind of studies I did in highschool while I attended college, reguardless of what any teacher said. I was still refused to crack a book and slack around taking only the necessary courses needed. Little did I know at the time, this would be one of the biggest mistakes in higschool . When I arrived at college I became aware that most of the students there had already gotten several credit hours from taking dual credit courses in highschool. I soon wished that I would have been more wise in highschool. Shortly there after it hit me...I had to study, I had to open my books, and for the first couple semester at college I really struggled because I lacked the necessary skills needed to succeed. My advice to myself would be "Buck up, and Study up".

Babette

Babette, You are getting ready to graduate high school and start a new life. I have some advice for you. Go to college! It is something that you must do. Start making plans now. Make an appointment to see your guidance counselor and let her help you get started. I know you have been told that only the rich can go to college. That is simply not true. There are many ways to help you pay for school. Also, please do not listen to anyone who tells you not to go. You will do great in college!

If i could go back to my Senior Year of High School iwould start with making a list of goals i want to achieve in the next 4 years. I would start by Graduating from college, becoming the person i am today but learn the easier way, having more family morals and school morals, being more active in college, and have a job in the career i want to be in for the rest of my life. Graduating from college i would set that highest because education is very important to me and my family. Becoming the person i am by just being there for anyone being more of a friend, realising that i only have this chance for 4 years to shape who i will be the rest of my life. Puting school and family morals high but also being active at school. Showing that my family has made me become a better student. Being more active in college, particapating in more to explore what is out there. To have the job to know that this oppurity has given my the chance to explore and know i love this department i am studying.

I would tell myself that college is what you make of it. You have to be open to change and ready to make sacrifices that you have never had to make before. College is based mostly on involvement and personal passion or drive. If you want to succeed then you will. If you want to sit back and be complacent then that will be exactly what you get with your education and overall experience. Also, another thing is that most professors in college are genuinely concerned for you and your academic progress if you show initiative; however, if you show no initiative then your professors are not going to hold your hand. You are an adult now, so you have to act like one. Yes it is very scary, but it is in your hands and it is again what you make of it. So, go out there and make a difference, everyone will respect you if you respect them. Good Luck and Enjoy.

Joseph

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have taken schoool more serious.

Meghan

I would tell myself to essentially BE myself. It works out so much better in your favor if you stay true to your own personality. As far as making friends, nothing helps more than being someone who is honest. It's when you are being yourself that you'll make lasting bonds, bonds with people that will help in your first so-called scary year of school. I've been following my own advice and it has worked out greatly in my favor.

PJ

Work hard in high school learn as much as you possibly can do not slack off work hard in football because it could help pay for college

Katie

I would tell myself that there are plenty of options to consider. The possibilities are endless. It's easy to get caught up in all of these possibilities, so it's easy to stress out about your future, but it's important to take things one at a time. The transition is easier to manage when you let yourself be yourself. No need to make impressions. College is a learning experience, not only about what you learn in class, but about what you learn about yourself and the newfound independence.

Christopher

If i could go back in time and talk to my high school self i would tell myself that i need to take summer classes to get ahead of the game. I would tell myself that in order to stay with the major know that its hard but there are people to help you people that can set you on your way. You need to start learning to study because you never did in high school you never had to, but in college its different without studying you cant make it throught your freshman year. It will get stressful and you will want to quit but its not the route you really want, you want to good of a life for you and your family to quit. Job oppertunities would leave if you quit school. Know that there is help out there and hard times will pass, "You Can Do It. Never Give Up."

Jasmine

If I could go back in time and give myself advice I would without a doubt tell myself to listen to Baz Lurhman's sunscreen song everyday. I would tell myself that everything in that song is so true so to not worry so much about the future because wheather I know it or not it's going to be good. I would also tell myself to try new hair styles earlier then I had. A direct quote from me future to me past would be "Jasmine...WEAR BANGS!! Match it up with curls in the back and make it long. You will not regret it!"

Dani

Don't go somewhere you don't really want to go to. Pick a school you want not one your parents or loves perfer to you to go. BE yourself and have fun and make the most of it while you can.

Mindy

For parents, let your kids make the decision. It's their life and they have every right to choose the career of their choice. For students, find the college that best describes you in personality, opportunities, and value/cost of living. Make sure you understand about any issues such as security, financial aid and living arrangements. Make sure that they offer the program you chose and any additional educational programs such as masters and/or doctorate for future reference. If first you don't suceed, you can always transfer. Most importantly, enjoy the ride!! You are privileged to visit the universities and colleges and learn about them. You meet new people and travel to different places. The choice is yours.

Josh

visit the campus before you decide on where to go. Go somewhere that you are comfortable with, have fun, and study something that means something to you.

Mindy

The best advice to give anyone is be true to yourself, don't let any friends or even parents make an affect on your decision because they will not be there you will. Ask alot of questions to people when you visit about how the school really is the life and student activity. If you can pick a weekend where you can stay and shadow someone around for a day. As for keeping making the best of your college experience, have an open mind and experience everything. The saying,"Live life to the fullest" is the perfect thing for any new college student to do. Be smart and don't let other people affect what your there to do. It might be school but it can also be fun too.

Casey

College is in some ways the same as your life, you'll make it what you want it to be. The advice that I would give to the students and parents about choosing the college that is best for them is to make it your own. Choose a college that you can become your own person at, one that you feel free to express yourself and to that will mold you into the adult that you want to be. As for the college experience; join in on everything that you possibly can, stay busy, stay productive, make friends, make contacts, make college the best experience you can because everything that happens in college changes your future for the better or the worse. Be sure however to make time to have fun, don't spend every night in the library or held up in your room. Some of the people you know now will be people that you have around for the rest of your life. Choose the right path for you, choose the right career for you, choose the right college for you; this is all about what you want. It's time for you to do something for you.

My parents did not help me pay for or choose a school. While going through orientations at two different colleges the focus was on the parental needs and desires. Being an 18 year old sitting in those rooms alone got a little intimidating. Since my parents had little say in my college choice, my views are a little different than most students. When choosing a college, a student needs to look at their priorities. Ask yourself some questions. Do you want a text book education or a school that emphasizes critical thinking and analysis? Do you want to be close to home or not? Do you have strong religion-based values? How important are school spirit and extracurricular activities? Get an idea by talking to students, not just the ones that are paid to give you a tour. Read the school newspaper. Look at what alumni from that college are doing. Finances are important, but ultimately go with your gut feeling. College is going to be your home for at least four years. Pick the college that has trends established that you like, but also be sure that it's a place you can make your own mark.

Michelle

I would suggest that the student should choose the college that he/she feels the most comfortable with. Don't go anywhere that doesn't feel comfortable, safe, or right. This is going to be a decision that they are going to have to live with. Also, if they know what they want to major in, they should go for it. Never let anyone say that they can't or shouldn't do something. I think that it is important for parents to support their children in whatever decision they make as far as college is concerned, and trust that they know what they are doing and that it is the right decision for them. It is important that the parents don't make the decisions for the students. Be yourself!! Don't try and please anyone at the expense of your own happiness, it will be a losing situation for both parties. Students and parents alike, should never take for granted the things that they have and the time that they have. Make friends, study hard, and stay focused!!