CUNY Bernard M Baruch College

« See more reviews of CUNY Bernard M Baruch College

Professors in the smaller departments (Anthropology, journalism, English. ethnic studies) know your name and are very helpful. In core-curriculum classes like science, business, psychology, you can sleep through the class and no one would notice. I entered Baruch because of its renowned business program, but all the marketing and business classes were held in giant 500-person lecture halls. The professors made you buy a really expensive book that they would use only minimally. When it came time to sell the book back, the bookstore would tell you that there is a new edition out (can’t sell it back) or would offer you just enough cash for a few beers. Although less known , Baruch has an amazing psychology and English department. Generally, all social science and art professors are really nice and will work with you after class. My favorite courses at Baruch were Abnormal Psychology and Feature Article Writing. Definitely check out RateMyProfessor.com before registering, the reviews are accurate. Sadly, as a freshman and sophomore you don’t have much of a choice, because classes fill up in a matter of minutes, and juniors and seniors are given priority. Baruch has a 2-year core curriculum, which was great for me because I wasn’t sure what exactly I wanted to do. If you’re not a business student, you have to take just one math (Pre-cal) class. However, you have to take two semesters of a foreign language and an extra class in humanities. This could be a pain, but looking back I’m happy that I took the subjects. The great thing about Baruch is that they have accelerated summer sessions, where you can really load up on courses. Most Baruch students who don’t take summer classes usually graduate in 5-6 years (because classes are always full). Summer sessions are great because a lot of the m are taught by laid-back TA’s and the school is pretty empty. I definitely recommend them. There is also an extremely accelerated winter intercession course where you can take 1-2 4 hour classes a day. The journalism department at Baruch is very small, which was great for me because I really got to know my professors. Classes are usually taught in small computer labs (where most students sit online instead of doing work.) Honestly, the journalism curriculum is easy. I did all my assignments last-minute and got A’s or A- ‘s . The catch is that you have to take a million Lit classes as a J major, and that’s where you really feel the writing load. There are plenty of electives to choose from in the department, with great professors who teach in Columbia and NYU. Really, you’re getting the same education for a fraction of the price. Of course, there are 1 or 2 lethargic professors who ramble on and on about themselves, but the passionate ones really make up for it. Baruch is very competitive, and everyone is trying to get internships and jobs right after they graduate. Everyone is required to take at least one internship class. Every week, the career center holds conferences with major company heads and other networking opportunities. However, these are mostly business-oriented. The career center has very few opportunities for English, journalism, science and psychology majors. Baruch is a business school, and those who choose a different major have to help themselves.

Some professors make it a point to know your name and others don't. From what I have observed so far class participation is not all too common. It seems students are either intimidated to speak or just so "serious" that they are listening very, very hard... Are students competitive? Well, they can be when it comes to things for which one must actually compete, but I haven't witnessed any kind of cutthroat behaviour so far. In general, these are aspiring professionals who understand the importance of being social and helpful to others. If you go to Baruch and pick a major in the Zicklin school, you will basically be getting a vocational education, i.e. finance. However, core requirements include liberal arts courses as well. Speaking of core requirements, at least where Zicklin is concerned, you have to take a sizable number of liberal arts courses. If you are planning on coming to Baruch as a transfer, I highly recommend you focus on liberal arts (including math up to, but not necessarily including, calculus) first. Leave the business courses for when you are here. Now, the one thing I dislike about Baruch. The school has a reputation for having "difficult" classes. As a new student, you will hear it mentioned "cutely" during orientation, i.e. the advisor might ask, "Did you all have your first tests yet? How many of you were a little surprised?" while nodding with a sympathetic smile. They might also bring out a current student or recent alum to tell you about how "challenging" the courses are here at Baruch. Let me explain something to you. There is a huge difference between a class that is actually challenging, and a basic 101 course for which you must sweat blood and tears simply because some guy decided it is his duty to complicate to as pedantic and impractical degree as possible purely for the sake of making it "difficult." In other words, Baruch seems to have a culture whereby professors will intentionally make even the easiest class -- and let's not be naive here: there are, indeed, classes that are far from brain surgery, hence "easy" -- as irritatingly uncomfortable as they can. This is not a challenge. This is pettiness. It is my biggest turn off with this school. Some put forth the argument that Baruch's "hard" classes will prepare you for the real world. Unfortunately, college and the real world have zilch in common. Others will spittle that, "If you think the classes are too hard, you can't handle it." That's like saying if you think being constantly stressed out and miserable for no good reason, you're not really learning. Hogwash. If you do come to Baruch, you have to choices: say goodbye to any GPA above 3.0 by your third semester or make RateMyProfessor your bible before each and every registration period. And you better register early. The few normal, likable professors fill up extremely fast.

The classes at Baruch vary from large lecture classes that fit about 500 students, medium-sized ones with an estimated 100 students, or ones that may consist of 18. For the largest lecture classes of 300 to 500 students, such as business or accounting classes, recitation classes are required which are for the same class, but with less people in it. These recitation classes are aimed to assist students with more attention and time to understand the material. In my opinion, professors at Baruch will know your name if you want them to by participating or speaking to them often. In addition, Baruch has a system they call “Learning Community” that is open for freshmen in order to help students feel more welcome as it is their first semester in college. It is optional to be in a learning community because other students may enjoy having a mix of people in their classes rather than being limited to the same people everyday due to being assigned every class together, so it varies for each individual. As for me, I was part of a Learning Community (LC 17) with about eighteen students in the group because I wanted to see how I liked it. While others knew people from high school around the city whom also attend Baruch, I did not know anyone in my college since I came from Arlington High School located in LaGrangeville, NY. Overall, the benefits of a learning community is that we were assigned a peer mentor who is also a Baruch student to help us with any questions, we all went out for dinner (including the students, peer mentor, and professors) and also planned other events under Baruch expenses. My major is marketing and I plan to minor in Graphic Design. Currently, as a sophomore I have finished all of the Pre-Business requirements (Accountancy, Computer Information System, Economics, English, Law, Math, Communication, and Statistics) in order to apply for our Zicklin School of Business. Luckily, a friend advised me to take these classes before the classes required for graduation (Philosophy, History, Sciences, etc.) because it is best to get into Zicklin School of Business as soon as possible in order to start taking business classes immediately. Since it is a business school, I think it can be pretty competitive here. Students often ask each other and compare GPAs or only talk to you in class for homework help. This does not bother me because I am happy at Baruch College and believe our academic requirements are fair enough because the education from the classes of your major can help a lot.

Baruch has a structured guideline as to what classes one must take. When you enter Baruch, you have to first fulfill the core requirements. Then according to which school you want to go to (Zicklin, Weissman, or Pubic Affairs), you then have to complete their requirements and then take the necessary classes for your major. I am a Finance major and so am enrolled in Zicklin School of Business. With a concentration in business, I have to have a minor in the liberal arts arena. Therefore, I am a double minor in Political Science and Graphic Communications. Upon your acceptance into Zicklin, you are required to take a class in each of the following areas: finance, accounting, management, and marketing. The reason for this is because Baruch wants you to have a feel for each area and see which on you would be truly interested in. Many of the classrooms encompass 50-100 students. Then there are those big lecture halls, that can seat up to 500 students. In the lecture halls, you are recognized by your seat number. In smaller class sizes, they professor may know your name, that is if you are the type of student to participate. At Baruch, there is lack of participation within classrooms. With many students being international and having trouble with English, they choose rather to stay quiet. However, they will respond if the professor calls on him/her individually. Baruch is adamant about improving students writing and communication skills. In many of my classes, I have found myself working in a group and giving a presentation. It is important for you to be able to express your points both orally and on paper, when you graduate and enter the real world. In addition, networking is highly pointed out in classrooms and at professional events. By networking, you want to leave with a business card in hand and build a relationship with the individual who may provide guidance with your career.

- Most of my professors know my name. - My favorite class was Speech Communication (COM 1010) of Fall 2007. The professor and students were so enticing, I always enjoyed going to class and never missing any sessions. - Students study all the time. All you have to do is look 180 degrees and there will always be someone with a book, pen or paper. - Class participation is more frequent than high school, usually at a 40% participation rate. - Some Baruch students have very intellectual conversations outside of class. Some challenge my thoughts, and has changed my views on many subjects. They share experiences with me, and I share with them. It makes the world go round. - Students are very competitive. With everyone aiming for an A and a 4.0 GPA, the main focus is to worry about yourself, then later worry about others. - The most unique class I have taken is probably my management class this semester. The professor is very engaging. In every class, every student usually speak two times or more. Management has become the second speech communications class for many, and it is a very fresh experience. - My intended major is Finance and Investments, the little brother of Accounting. - I sometimes spend time outside with professors. I usually do not want to bother them and become a nuisance, because I know they have just as much work as students. - The academic requirements I believe are fair, though I wish there are more four credit classes. Some classes meet for more than four hours a week, but the course is only for three credits. - Baruch balances both. The academics build towards a career, but the events such as internship fairs are subsidies. In my opinion, fairs and events are optional, and up to the students whether or not to attend. The academic requirements are sufficient not enough for a career.

Some professors on campus do know my name. For instance, I am taking an International Business class this semester with a professor that is unique even when compared with some of the better professors at Baruch. He keeps the class interested by making jokes that somehow relate to the topic he is discussing. He encourages participation and the students feel compelled to participate due to the nice personality the professor displays in the class. In other classes, particularly, the finance classes, there are a lot of students in the class and so participation suffers and takes a back seat to the lecture of the professor. It is harder for students to work up their courage and ask a question in that large a class, especially given the difficulty of the classes. I am taking a futures class right now that combines the features above, however, the professors is one of the best in the school, he is a director at one of the major futures exchange, and so, he makes class a little more bearable. Students at Baruch, like students everywhere, study when they have the time to study. Now since students at our school are so involved with part-time, leadership roles on campus (you know, those resume filling activities?), the time they left is even more limited. What usually happens is that around midterms or final’s time, the library – which by the way is open 24/7 during that time, is full of students who huddle together in the library and help each other out. The only downside is that the offices in the library are not staffed after 12 o’clock midnight, in which case, students may not borrow a book on reserve or take out a laptop. But who needs those anyway since every Baruch student is ingenious in finding what we need?

Professors rarely know my name. My favorite class would probably be my Options class. While the material and pace was extremely difficult, I felt I learned quite a bit from it. My least favorite class was my Literature class. The teacher asked for our opinion on particular short stories we were required to read, however, everyone's opinion was wrong unless it agreed with the teacher's opinion. Most students study 1-2 weeks before an exam. Class participation depends on the class, teacher, and class size. Most of the time however, you see only a handful of students doing the bulk of the answering. Students will have an intellectual conversation outside of class if their majors are related. Most students are competitive in the sense of wanting their grades high. For team projects where most of the students know each other, most of them will help eac other out. The most unique class I've had is my Business Policy class. This class provided a much more hands on approach rather than a textbook approach. My major is finance. I do not spend time outside of class with professors. I think Baruch's requirements are standard for a commuter school. Baruch's education is more geared towards theoretical rather than hands-on based. Rarely do they have a combination of both. So I'd say it's geared toward learning for its own sake.

Not all professors know your name because of the huge amount of students that are in the lecture halls but they try their best to keep up with attendance and keep some kind of organized record to better know you. I don't havea fvorite class as of yet but hopefully in the future that will come up. The most unique class I have taken is Anthropology. Anthropology is actually an interesting class and it allows you to obsereve and have a better respect for the rest of the cultures that exist out there. My major is Accounting. Hopefully I want to become a CPA, but if not I would like to do Forensic Accounting. But I don't think Baruch offers that program. Professors try to make time to add students in their book if they have any complaints or questions. This becomes really helpful, especially when the grades ocme through. The education at Baruch s geared toward getting a job but also learing and building yourself from the ground up. Its not only about passing classes but its also about placement and how you manage your time and effort to be waht you want to be and also have some sense of being proud of yourself for accomplishing your goals.

I currently major in accounting, but have not taken any courses in that field thus far. Despite this, I have had alright to great teachers. Last semester my classes were much smaller, so all of my teachers knew their students' names. On the contrary, I have nothing but lecture classes my second semester so it is almost impossible for a teacher to remember the names of 100-300 students. Despite this, class participation is common, and I still sense a bit of healthy competition in the air. Outside of class I have had several intellectual conversations, especially after having my Introduction to Sociology class last semester. The teacher's name is Ms.Jones, and she is by far my favorite teacher of my favorite class so far. She was young, cool, funny, but also a fair grader. Outside of class, I actually had the opportunity to attend a Broadway show with 2 of my teachers, which was very fun. As for the academic requirements, I think that they are fair. The overall education at Baruch is indeed geared towards getting a job, and the school's name rings bells at all major businesses throughout NYC, and probably beyond.

Most of my professors know my name. The only way they don't is if it's a lecture hall with 300 students. I've had many favorite classes in my Baruch College career. Two that were amongst my most favorite were Management 3121 (because Prof. Milheiser is awesome) and MKT 5151. My least favorite class was Management 3120 because the professor was horribly mean. Students study at least 3-4 hours a day. Class participation is common, especially in small class rooms. Baruch students have very intellectual conversations outside of class and they're very competitive as well. The most unique class I've taken is the advertising competition class. I'm a marketing major, concentrating in advertising. I spend time with my advertising class professor outside of class because I have to coordinate the club with him, since I'm president. Baruch's academic requirements are too rigid and don't allow room for extracurricular electives, which is something I don't like. Education at Baruch is geared toward getting a job, which is very important.