CUNY Brooklyn College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for CUNY Brooklyn College

Nadia

Glad I enrolled here, even if it's really far from home and the commute is crazy.

Danielle

If you want an incredibly accurate picture of what you would deal with in the real world, go to Brooklyn College. Brooklyn College is mainly a commuter campus, so how often you are here, how much you do, and how often you hang out is completely up to you. It's diverse and proud of it, and very active politically. You would be surprised how many professors teach here, but only VISIT big and highly renowned universities. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else because of the incredible network and opportunity to be had here, and students are treated equally here regardless of their status more often than not.

Luis

Brooklyn College is a pretty great school where everything you need is either on or a five block radius from campus. Getting to school can be pretty tough for students who live far from campus but other than that It's a great school. One of the best CUNY school's.

Grace

The Brooklyn College campus is beautiful. There are so many places to hang out between classes (my favorite is the lily pound, its so relaxing). The lawn is always kept and there are pretty flowers and trees. The pretty atmosphere make the whole school experience less depressing. There are also many people and offices on campus willing to help you with whatever problem you may have. They send out newsletters with internships and job opportunities. They will even help you figure out what career you want, then help you write a resume. They are very helpful with all of my school needs.

I think this school has a comfortable environment, a welcoming atmosphere, and I always feel safe on campus. It has small classes, good teachers, and is a close-knit community. This school has incredible arts departments combined with its tuition is extremely affordable especially compared to other arts/performing specific schools.

Ilir

The school has room for improvement but the campus is secure and professors care about their students. There are no dorms but there is nearby housing options. The only negative aspect is that it is expensive but it’s New York City. There are many clubs that are active especially when it is warm out. The campus itself is beautiful and well maintained. The buildings are a bit outdated and can use some remodeling but the basketball gym is beautiful.

Joniqua

It's a last resort school, its fine for an avg education, but there's absolutely no school spirit.. It's a commuter school so everyone just comes for class then leaves right after, not a very socially inviting environment. I'm tryna get outta here but no school other than here gives me enough fin aid.

Ira

I attended CUNY Brooklyn from the Fall of 2015 to the Spring of 2017, majoring in Computer Science. During my time at BC I found it to be an incredibly welcoming school, with a diverse student body and professors who went out of their way to assist me in my academic endeavors. If you live off campus, like I did, commuting to the school is incredibly easy from almost anywhere in the city. The 2 and 5 trains stop just a block away from campus. My commute central Brooklyn was at most 20 minutes, and later, when I moved to Harlem, the 2 train was a straight shot that allowed me to get some reading in or finish a last minute assignment. I attended mostly evening classes and I always felt safe on campus. Gated entrances and ID checks ensured only students were on campus, and its relatively compact size and well-lit walkways meant I never had to walk far from class to class. Dining on campus was the usual college commissary faire. I probably ate on campus half the time, the other half going off to one of the many fast food restaurants or delis. The types of lunch dining off campus are quite varied, and I could always find something new to try if I was in the mood. Finally, I had an extremely favorable academic experience at BC. Almost all of my professors were very good teachers, helping me understand and really absorb the material. The majority of them were also available multiple times a week for office hours, and several would gladly stay after classes to answer additional questions I had about the material. The library and computer lab facilities were very clean and modern, and staffed with knowledgeable and friendly people who could always answer my questions. I had to move out of NYC in 2017 so I unfortunately did not get to finish my degree at BC, but to this day I miss it and am glad I was able to attend. I highly recommend it to any incoming freshman or transfer students.

sidra

Brooklyn College is a highly recommended college. It provides their students all sort of support they need. All the professor are great and very cooperative. The campus is great itself and it has all the facilities for students in it.

Valentina

Although others might enjoy their time at Brooklyn College, it just isn't the right fit for me. Not all the professors know or are excited to teach. Some go too fast and others too slow. It's a nice campus, but they lack in communicating with the students about events, grades, payments, etc. It's semi-hard to get involved in clubs on campus because there isn't much information on them unless you go to the fair which is only once each semester. Same goes with sports, if you aren't at a high level in that sport you can't really join the team. There's a lot of students and a small staff and aid, and something the people there can't even answer you're question. The few interactions I've had within my major and the classes for my major have been great and very beneficial for the future.

Berline

The staff need to know how to communicate better with students and there isn't a lot of teachers it's a struggle to find the class you need. Do not count on the advisor there are always busy not helpful. When trying to reach out you need to be very consistent for them to pay attention. If decided to go to Brooklyn College get ready to depend on yourself for everything.

Brooklyn College was not my first choice for college. I had wanted to get out of the city and dorm upstate or even out of state. However, I ended up at a CUNY in a busy part of Brooklyn, trudging to school from Queens. One bus and a train later you enter a campus in the middle of Brooklyn that looks like it could be found upstate. The quad, spread across two streets is big enough to take a nap on the grass without being awkwardly close to a stranger also sleeping nearby. The buildings inside are a hit or miss. It seems like there is constantly repairs happening so holes in the ceiling or chipping paint is a common find. The outside of the buildings are nice enough, the feel of Hogwarts while also being 2 minutes from the 2 train. The professors are some of the most committed I've met. There is a true devotion to what they're teaching and given the current political climate every class seems to be doing more than its fair share of connecting to current events. Students on campus come from all over the city and because of that there is a true sense of purpose in the classes they take, extracurriculars they take part in and a sense of urgency in building their applications. This makes for a campus full of students doing everything under the sun, so you are never without a mentor or a friend. I'm glad I ended up coming to this school, there are people here ready to flash you a smile and help you succeed to your full potential.

Angie

There's a great academic atmosphere at CBC. Love it

Anik

CUNY Brooklyn College is one of the best in CUNY. The campus is really beautiful and the students here are really helpful. Some of the professors of specific departments are so good that you want to take them over an over. There are a lot of clubs and events going on around the campus that no student can be without joining one. There is something for every student and Magner Career Center is always there to find you an internship, fix your resume and your cover letter. You will never feel alone on the campus and people are always there to help. That's why it is the best in CUNY.

Suquaia

It's a decent sized campus although at first it's pretty easy to get lost especially in the buildings. The air conditioning is almost always on which is pretty bad for me since I'm anemic, but there's nothing a sweater in your tote bag can't fix. There are great places to hang out and eat and/or study when you're either in between classes or done for the day.

Mandy

My family and I live at Brooklyn College, I am a grad student during the day and my husband attends at night. Our two children attend the Brooklyn College Early Childhood Center, which is by far the most amazing childcare facility i have ever seen. This is a huge bonus to anyone attending Brooklyn College with children. They have a safe, clean, enriching environment to thrive in while I attend classes. Overall I would say that Brooklyn College is amazing academically and I am proud to be receiving my bachelors and my masters degrees from them.

Kelly

Brooklyn college is generally an antisocial campus, but overall my experience so far has been pleasant. Theres been ups and downs in scheduling issues and professor selections, however there's often been an available selection of favorable choices. I couldn't imagine attending any other CUNY besides Brooklyn College.

Jennet

The first thing that attracts me in Brooklyn College is its gorgeous campus. During good weather campus is a great place for students to have a break, to do homework or to discuss academics with other students. Also, professors are very encouraging and always available if student has some concerns about his or her academics. They also try to make lessons more interesting for mostly young audience of the class by making some parallels with modern culture. Moreover, Brooklyn College has center for academic advisement, that is very necessary for all freshman students. Advisors of that center guide each student during his or her first year of college.

Sammy

Honestly don’t really have a good time being on campus most students are very boring the professors mostly are adjunct they have very weird grading policies a The officials working behind the counters and in the office don’t care about anything either you have to bombard them for help

Paula

I enjoy the school and the campus. Everything is easily accessable and advisement services are extremely helpful. Unfortunately classes are sometimes hard to obtain based on your major. If you are a speech language pathology major, good luck getting classes!

zara

It is a good college, the teachers are responsible and are willing to help you if you come to office hours. The college has a nice and polite environment. There is a variety of major it offers. The faculty and staff are really nice and approach in a very good way.

Patrice

Overall, Brooklyn College is an environment that is beneficial to the students and also is beneficial for the faculty as well. It is a community that seems to invest within one another and genuinely cares about the well-being of their students. It is important to feel this way at an institute or through life in general because it shows you how much you can accomplish when you are surrounded by a team that supports you.

Mariyum

I think this campus is great but it can have some improvements. The improvements that it should have are fixing the bathrooms, classrooms and ceilings. Although there's many opportunities going on around, this campus needs to have more funding for this school to become a better place for all of the students.

Michelle

Brooklyn college is a fun and safe school that allows you to become very social with the people around you. The campus provides many options of different clubs; which are full of multiple personalities. It can be very entertaining at times. I am a part of the Caribbean student union (CSU) club. Here we throw parties, and host learning events; where we speak to other student about important things, things like history, culture and many more. Apart from those great aspects, there is one thing that bothers me. We have a computer lab that is open 24 hours long, for Brooklyn college and other cuny students. Unfortunately, after 10:00pm the non-Brooklyn college students have to leave, but are allowed back the next day. However, my problem lies with the new way the computer system is operated. Whenever you are logged on; either in the computer lab or library, a timer pops up. Why are we as students being timed? I hate the feeling of being rushed or pressured to get off a computer, even if my work is not yet completed. I hope this is a test run and not a permanent decision, or else a lot of students will become very angry.

Lorena

The academics were fine, but the problem I had with the college was mostly how they treated us high schoolers on campus, even though we were dual enrolled. We were relegated to the basement in James Hall and had to tread lightly pretty much anywhere else on campus or we'd get our privileges revoked. I wouldn't be surprised if they were just trying to get rid of us. Meanwhile, the basement was almost always dirty and overcrowded due to the sheer amount of students down there at any given time. My friends and I even made jokes about how the cockroaches walked to class with you like they belonged there! Several times during my junior and senior year we had to evacuate the classrooms due to some kind of gas leak that smelled of burning tires (keep in mind that those are the only years the students at Brooklyn College Academy are on campus) and I remember several times where my friends and I had no place to eat during the winter since we didn't have access to the college cafeteria and the only other places we were allowed were overcrowded, closed, or too cold to stay in/at. I'm not saying all this to bash the college per se, I just want things for my high school to get better even now that I've graduated. I know several of us, including myself, who refused to apply/transfer to Brooklyn College BECAUSE of the way we were treated there. And all the problems we had could have been easily fixed with more access to the college or even designated places we could have been allowed to be in. Just... better service would be appreciated is all.

Hanna

"You get the best bang for your buck," is what I heard said several times while on campus. The gorgeous campus, high academics, and low tuition costs really make CUNY Brooklyn College an outstanding school. Since CUNY Brooklyn College is a government owned college it is difficult to sometimes maintain and appease so many students and all of their needs. Due to this, the advisers and staff aren't always helpful in attempting to compensate a student's needs. Most professors at CUNY Brooklyn College do an outstanding job, and the facilities are designed to fulfill a student's needs. The campus is surrounded by food stops and other shops to help students have everything they want without going far from the campus. CUNY Brooklyn College is an excellent choice in granting many needs and desires that students may possess to fulfill their goals while at college .

Matthew

The practical courses are fine but the more theoretical courses are steeped in ideology. While adjuncts are usually grounded, full-time professors are dogmatically Marxist (at least in the education program). Not a friendly intellectual environment to people not on the left-wing of political thought.

Michelle

My overall opinion of CUNY Brooklyn College is that the campus is a great environment for learning and interacting with new and different people. The academics are great, I have enjoyed all the classes that I have partook in as well as had great professors who cared and were accessible when needed. Faculty members are helpful when needed. I like how diverse and optimistic the students are, it brings a positive and healthy vibe throughout the campus.

Karina

things are always broken, but some professors care, really depending on the department. In my major classes were pretty straight forward. Other departments have been horrific. The school is way too politically charged and hard to care about certain classes because this is all some professor talk about.

Niaara g

Brooklyn College is a very good Cuny College in New York. The curriculum in the first year is pretty easy yet informative. The sizes of the classroom are usually smaller, ensuring each student gets any attention they may need. Classrooms that have seminar sizing attendance are still manned by professors who give great lessons and make time for students afterwards for further help. The campus itself is beautiful and flower filled, leaving students with the feeling they've been transported to a different place, one that;s not New York.

Jenel

I am a recent transfer student who's enjoying my transition into this CUNY school. Brooklyn College has knowledgeable professors, a beautiful campus, and valuable resources like the library and computer labs. The one critique I would have is more opportunities to be involved should be added for weekend and evening students.

Jenny

I enjoyed my time at CUNY Brooklyn College and felt like I learned a lot. My education at Brooklyn College was affordable and it allowed me to get into graduate school with the knowledge I gained at Brooklyn College. I met a lot of great professors and friends there too.

Noel

My overall opinion of Brooklyn College is that it embodies all the characteristics of being a New Yorker. Having accessibility to one of the greatest cities in the world provides things such as public transportation, diversity, and opportunities. All of this reflects onto the campus with large part of the student body are commuters. Being a business major the diversity is great, as one can learn and connect to many different religions and cultures. Allowing for many new opportunities to arise because even though we may all be unique, we all hold a common mecca. That is Brooklyn College.

Jeffrey

After my experience at Brooklyn College, I now truly consider it to be "the poor man's harvard." My experience as a Bachelor of Science degree candidate in biology was excellent. The professors were quite knowledgable and the courses were challenging enough to prepare me for medical school. Any negative reviews from people who have attended Brooklyn College must have been from students who did not take advantage of the endless resources and opportunities that are provided by the school. In addition, the cheap tuition (under $7,000 per year) allows students to receive a top-notch education at a bargain price! Most students graduate debt-free and loan free. The one thing I didn't like about Brooklyn College was that the non-science courses were easier than I would have hoped. I have received an A+ in almost all of the non-science courses that I completed.

Malka

It is a really good college, which encourages one to keep to the traditions and religions that they come from, by allowing the formation of clubs for these people. The teachers are really good and the students, very friendly. The classes are all quite interesting as well, going into lots of different conversations,especially in the english classes. Thank you very much for your time.

Andrea

I love Brooklyn College. It has an excellent psychology program and throughout all the courses I've taken, I've never failed to learn something new. The facilities such as the gym and library are relatively new and are a good bang for your buck. The cafeteria food is a hit or miss, but they have an excellent career system that is dedicated to helping you find a great job. It's definitely a CUNY that is worth your money.

Brenda

Brooklyn College is a large school. If you're coming for the college experience, you'll probably be disappointed. It's easy to get lost and feel like just another number. Scholastically though, if you're there as a means to an end, the classes are pretty good. The only downside is the large class sizes and difficulty getting into popular classes.

Romello

Brooklyn College is a great, affordable college option for individuals that would like access to the feel of a campus. Brooklyn College is a great place to receive a education. Most courses require hard work and persistence in order to do well. It's a good institution.

Alaa

Brooklyn College has provided me with an exhilarating and invigorating experience as a student. There are so many opportunities that interest students in their hobbies and their career choices. The campus is always clean, beautiful and diverse. At Brooklyn College, there are chances to meet new people and make amazing friends. Not only that, but it is always easy to make connections with professors and staff. Brooklyn College is genuinely different than other colleges because it feels more like a home.

Simon

Brooklyn College has many opportunities for academic success and i would highly recommend it to anyone. I recommend it especially to students interested in accounting, business, psychology, music, etc. I am a student there and i already recommend it to everyone i know looking for a college to go to.

Nia

I am a graduate student attending Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema at Steiner Studios, not CUNY Brooklyn College campus proper so my facilities reviews are limited to that space. In addition, Graduate Students are adults so my comments in regards to drinking and drug use do not apply to the undergraduate experience.

Jasmine

Brooklyn College is a beautiful campus. I have had some really great, and also some really awful Professors. The academics here are decent - minus the few professors that made for a dreadful semester. The workers/students are very nice and easy to talk to. I would recommend Brooklyn College.

Estrella

I may not know much about this college yet, but I have high hopes because this school will be the guide to my future. I have visited the college several times and I am very pleased to see the activities and students walk past the hallways. I hope to visit the campus once again sooner.

Sahar

I just started so I can’t give an accurate opinion about everything, but I can say that overall as a student at Brooklyn College, I can personally say that I love both the education and the environment. Students and staff are all happy and welcoming, the campus is beautiful, and classrooms are kept neat enough for comfort. Even the restrooms are properly maintained and clean. It’s a nice college to anyone looking for a small, peaceful, welcoming school centered around making its students better people. I also like the great diversity in this college, as a muslim girl I never feel I’m a stranger.

Tiffany

I chose Brooklyn College, because it was affordable and very close to home. With that said, it was hard to meet others who were from a different state or country. What's disappointing about the school is, there isn't really much of a social life on campus unless you were a part of a sports team (fortunately I was). So a typical day for a student here is class, maybe hang with friends, then go home? At least that's what I did when basketball season was over. I somewhat enjoyed my 1 year here, but unfortunately I transferred out. Also I wished there would be more diversity in food such as authentic Asian food or something.

Mary

Some sixth graders spend their time in classrooms learning, but that’s not the route my 11-year-old self decided to take self decided to do. As an artist, I preferred to spend class time making comic books and portraits of my friends; I was also so the boisterous class clown, and the paper airplanes I made didn’t exactly get me on my teachers’ goodside. My mischievous behavior, in pair with my lack of studying, resulted in my poor grades, and my teachers began to lose faith in me. In seventh grade, I took an interest in my middle school’s general organization and landed a position as secretary. It was that moment that my love for clubs had started, and I entered high school with this intense admiration, departing with titles like volleyball captain, newspaper developer, mock trial lawyer, and intern for New York City Council. My grades began to gradually increase, but there had still been speculation on which colleges I would get accepted to. Luckily enough, I was accepted into Brooklyn College and was eager to find my place, but the backlash I received from my teachers made me question where I’d fall on the spectrum of success and I began doubting myself. “Do you want to come to our staff meeting?” was the first thing the past president of Stuck in the Library, a Brooklyn College club, asked me after I displayed interest in finding a creative writing club on campus. I was instantly interested and found a position in the club, that I now take extreme pleasure in running. Writing for Stuck in the Library reassured me that I was on the right track, and it was the first time in my life that I felt like I was in a place where I belonged. I then mimicked my high school habits and proceeded to join other clubs, intern, mentor, and do something that I would have never thought possible: successfully transfer into the Scholars Program. Excelling in my studies was a foreign concept that I proved myself to accomplish at that very moment, and that’s when I decided to become a peer mentor and reassure students like myself that they are capable of whatever goal they are trying to accomplish. Seeing my mentees’ high levels of confidence to pursue what they wish makes the trouble I had gone through in the past worth it. I don’t think I would be where I am now without Brooklyn College's numerous resources and endless support, and I am eternally grateful. The evolution of myself made me realize how large my plans for the future are. I wouldn't be as independent, passionate, or educated without all the support I have received from Brooklyn College. Brooklyn College has taught me the beauty of self-exploration, getting uncomfortable with the unknown, and how important uniting is in times of distress. Before Brooklyn College, I feared what my life would be like; I never thought of myself to be a leader, nonetheless a scholar. After being part of the university for about 2 years, I can now call myself a successful club leader for Stuck in the Library that fosters a warm environment of 900-1,5000 artists, photographers, poets, and all types of creative students that get together and express themselves. Stuck in the Library members often find themselves at a range of different events; our staff members are involved in a range of campus activities such as events hosted by Global Medical Brigade, student government, the Excelsior, the scholar's program and Macaulay honors, the peer mentor department, the English Department and the Junction, the Tanger Hillel at Brooklyn College, the Art Department, and more! It's such a multifaceted club that I am in awe of being president of, and it is all thanks to CUNY for making it possible. Applying to the scholars program at Brooklyn College and getting accepted had also been a dream of mine, and if it wasn't for the support from Stuck in the Library and the Peer Mentor Department, I'm not sure I would have been integrated into the scholars program. Overall, Brooklyn College transformed me into being a leader, scholar, and universally positive catalyst in society. I went to an all-girls private school up until high school, and it was the norm to either go to a private college or spend the year working afterwards. Doing anything else was frowned upon, and going to Brooklyn College was a risk I wanted to take. I wanted to explore who I was, and Brooklyn College let me.

Arielle

This school is horrendous. The only thing that is really beneficial is the low tuition but then again you'll find the same at any Cuny school, especially if you're an in-state resident. The room and board cost about 20,000 dollars which is way more than you pay for tuition so it isn't very inclusive. If you go to a department with a question expect to be transferred to ten different departments before you get an answer. Some of the Professors couldn't care less they aren't punctual with grades, don't have office hours nor do they respond to emails. The school isn't well kept there are times where we go without heat or water throughout an entire hall. The library computers break down constantly especially now that they are updated to "windows 10". The Boylan hall cafeteria barely has any options and the food is severely underseasoned and tragically overpriced. Nothing from that cafeteria ever tastes good and the place is always crowded even at 8 in the morning. Just please save your money and time and go else where it seems like a nice convinent school but it is a place full of nightmares.

Victoria

You're off the Q train, walking down Avenue H, the blocks are long and quiet. You enter, you see the track field, you pass "the barn," the tennis court, and suddenly you're in the middle of the "quad" along with all the greenery and three buildings surrounding you. Right across the street there’s a hot dog stand and the Hogwarts-like library with trees on either side covering the brick bulky buildings. Or, you’re off the 2/5 train, walking down Flatbush you pass the busy streets and hear the honking vehicles, pedestrians, and the noise from the shops filled with students, families, professors, adjuncts, and children. You enter the campus, walk under the newly made performing arts building, down the path surrounded by trees, you pass the library and there you find yourself in the middle of campus surrounded by trees and across from you is the “West Quad,” this modern building you dread because the financial aid office is there. To mask it all, your peers are on the quad enjoying the weather, studying, or taking a break. Inside the buildings you'll find students napping, having a possible break down, instructors cramming last minute appointments and assignments before the semester ends, and students feeling their concerns remain unresolved with the lack of help from campus employees. On the bright side, there is opportunity for you on campus and overseas, diversity, and, if you’re lucky, helpful staff and faculty that will make your dreams a reality.

Abie

don't like the location..

Kainat

Brooklyn College is a great school with many different majors and outlets to find a career. The school has caring and exceptional professors that will always make time for their students. It is a place where people can get a thorough education with a cultural experience.