CUNY City College

« See more reviews of CUNY City College

I think one caveat of attending CUNY City College is teh campus, which is right in the middle of a busy and crowded city like New York. There was no dorm, no green pastures to enjoy, no real campus life like other colleges I visited lately here in the south. There is also room for improvement in informing new students of what the school has available for them and how to access them. Registering for classes also was always a nightmare for there were always more students than there were classes available .

I think the worst thing about my school is that Undergraduate Minors aren't well defined. There isn't anywhere to go to find what Minors are available to you as a student . I found this to be very annoying because coming towards the end of my college life I found out about certain minors that I would've liked to take but since I found out about the minors so late if I decided to pick them up then I would've had to push back my graduation by at least 2 semesters.

Cafeteria. The food is not the best and it's pretty expensive if you decide to eat from the salad bar. It's always crowded at lunch time and there are only two microwaves. So if you bring your lunch from home it will be a long wait before you can enjoy it. Also, we share some facilities with a high school, including the cafeteria. So it's population City College + High School students at lunch time. I'm pretty sure you can imagine how unpleasant that is.

The worst thing about City is probably the limited dorming options. Most of the students commute from off campus, so the only housing there is the Towers, which is a nice facility but very expensive. I come from out of state so there isn't much choice for me but to live there. Though tuition isn't too bad, the housing cost adds up quickly. Also, there's no meal plan, which means buying groceries, unless you want to eat at the cafeteria in the school.

I don't believe that the professors at this school in this program truly care about the student. So far out of 6 different professors, I can only say that perhaps only one may care but I am not totally sure. I can also say that the administrative staff lacks knowledge, correctiveness, enthusiasm, assistance and sociable.

I REALLY CAN'T FIND ANY FAULT WITH THE SCHOOL, BECAUSE THEY WERE SO ACCOMODATING TO WORKING PARENTS LIKE MYSELF. I WAS ABLE TO GET MY GRANTS AND LOANS WITH NO PROBLEM. I WAS ABLE TO ENROLL AND I RECEIVED CONSTANT SUPERVISION IN THE PROCESS AND IN WHAT COURSES WOULD FULLFILL THAT CURRICULUM AND COINCIDE WITH MY SCHEDULE.

My college is pretty awesome but one thing that is a bit shaky is when I am not assigned a particular advisor. I mean sure there is an office named "Gateway" but they can only give you as much information. They can name each department and then you would have to walk building to building according to your interests.

One of the worse thing about my school is the prices of the food they offer. I study at the school daily but the prices push me to leave the school grounds to have a meal. Sometimes i don't even eat becasue the travel from the school to a deli is a hassle. Other than the food, everything they offer is fairly good.

The worst thing about my school is the inability to access certain areas of the campus because of my current major or degree. For instance, if you're not a music major, you cannot use any of the music rooms in the music department even if you are an accomplished musician.

Despite the vast majority of courses and instructors at City College, this school surprisingly has limited courses. There are some courses that you can take for credits (like astronomy) but there aren't enough to allow you to major in it.