CUNY City College

« See more reviews of CUNY City College

As a college student that has already attended two different colleges, and hopefully transferring to a third university in the Fall of 2009, I would recommend that they first think about the objectives behind the particular university, visiting the university on a regular day and not only on open house days, and to consider what the prospective student wants from a university. First, one should get as much information on the university whether it be from the official website, respectable college rating sources, and most importantly from students that attend the university. If the university is not adequate to fulfill your academic goals and personal growth, then search for a different university that is more suitable. Once having found a compatible university, visit the campus to verify that your impressions of the university are accurate and not a false illusion. During this visit one should talk to many students and professors and discuss their experiences at the school, both the negative and positive aspects. If the university has passed the standards and the student gets accepted, then the student should do all he/she can do to get involved academically and socially within the school to develop as a whole.

Based on the experience that I've gain throughout my college years, the best advice I can give myself is to stay on top of the classes, participate in club/volunteer events, and take the initiative to do what needed. All of the mentioned advice become crucial for a smooth transition to college. Slacking off in education will result in college course material seeming more challenging that what it really is. Then, after completing the material from high school, take some time to review the material. Even though the material is reviewed in freshman college courses, it will be too brief for the student to fully utilize. Participation in club/volunteer events helps because it build your social skills. In high school, there probably was the same bunch of people that a student probably grew up with. In college, the kind of people you meet becomes so varied that having solid communication skills helps to make new friends and see new opportunities. Initiative is a mission-critical aspect needed for every college student. It becomes quickly apparent that opportunities will not be always spoon-fed to students. They are usually hidden, waiting to be discovered by the students.

I attend The City College of New York and it is very diverse with so many students from all over the world, such as China, Korea, Japan, Greece, Bangladesh, Peru, Indiana, philippine, and so on. I cannot miss out the richness of diverse cultures and backgrounds in college and this is one of the college experiences that I cannot overlook at. There are wide and unthinkable opportunities offered in college such as different majors, study abroad program, exchange program, financial aid, scholarships, competitions, technologies, and the list goes on. I am blessed with the financial aid since my family has low income and I cannot believe how close the college has made my dreams come true. I am currently excited about studying abroad because I have not studied or been outside of New York for ten years! With my major in architecture and the AIAS community, I am able to meet architects and other architecture major students from all over the world. College is filled with talented people and it is no doubt that I am taught by authors, scientists, architects, artists, and other professions in each class. College experience is the beginning to unlock my potentials.

Initially, Barnard College was my dream school because of its excellent women's studies program and its impeccable reputation. Reality struck me when I realized my SAT scores, GPA, and low income background didn't reflect the majority of the Ivy League’s school standards. I was so limited in my thinking that I could not even fathom the prospect of going away for school, much less apply to an institution asking for more money than my parents made. If I could reach my high school self, I would motivate her to apply to less safety schools and try going after reach and target Colleges such as Mount Holyoke, or Barnard College.I would urge myself to research schools, majors, and scholarships before applying anywhere. I would also encourage myself to have more confidence because I still have a chance of being admitted into those particular reputable institutions through programs like HEOP, Seek, and College Discovery, despite having low scores. As a backup plan, I would tell myself to enroll in a 2 year school and complete an Associates of Arts degree, then transition to a 4 year school to earn a Bachelor’s degree for women and gender studies.

I’d tell myself that college is nothing like high school, studying vigorously and smartly is a requirement. High School, although it taught us an amazing skill did by no means prepare us for college, especially in the sciences which will later be our major. I’d advise myself to immediately look at the requirements of our major and plan out which courses to take from that semester until the semester we graduate. Do this by aligning your major requirements, with advice of peers who have already been through the major. Do not rely on your advisors advice because you will have 7 advisors throughout your college career. None of which will ever know you by name because they change with semester, and most of which are unfamiliar with the college courses and requirements. The advice taken from them will on most occasions be wrong and set you back. In summation I’d tell myself to have a plan for my college career, in essence not wait for the information to come to you but to seek out the information yourself, and plan accordingly. College is an extremely autonomous place, where your future and its success are in your hands.

When I started high school, my teachers advised me that I should visit the college before I pick it. I didn?t quite understand the message then, however, four years later, I understood it. I knew I wanted to study engineering since I was strong in math and physics and also grew up working in construction. So it was only a decision between a few engineering schools for me. I decided to visit the schools and speak to the faculty, staff and students. I got many different perspectives from different people about each school. Finally, I chose City College because of the people there and also for the future if offers. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here since. I have enjoyed outside of classroom education by getting involved in student clubs that offers hands on work as well as making friends and socializing with them. I have enjoyed great relationships with my professors which is very beneficial when it comes to recommendations for scholarships and/or jobs. Your college life can be the best years of your life if you choose the right environment for yourself and take advantage of the opportunities that are available.

depending on the importance of where you want to go in future in terms of your career, i would say choosing a college that can ge you there is very important. Of courese there are a lot of factors that can be determant in make the best selection of schools to attend, however, makeing sure the school has yours best interest and welfare in mind is probably the most important. As for it being somewhere that you can be comfortable and take part in expressing your on ideas and individuality, is equally important. I choose this City college diversity and and campus location and of course it's reputation in producing famous people who have contibuted to the world. Two know people the man who created the polio vaccine Paul C. and the Founder of Dell the maker of some of the finest computers... I'm proud to be accepted and a part of this great school which has been referred to as the "Poor Mans Harvard." As a sociology major I too someday intend to make valuable research contributions to this great great, nation we call The United States of America. The land of opportunity, diversity, generosity and wealth.

Since the inspirational words of president Obama, I realized the country needs more teachers and more nurses. I have always loved teaching things I already know to anyone, like my cousins and their homeworks. I decided to attend college and pursue my dream of being the person who inspires other minds to succeed in life. I wanted to become that inspirational figure that children will look up to because even though vertain events can happen in your life, you always have to look foreward and keep your chin up. With students coming into my classroom filled with questions, I want them to come out satisfied with answers. As soon as I stepped into the City College of New York I felt the vibe of good people, delicious foods and a comfortable environment to study and have fun in. I felt that its highly valuable to be educated without stress. Thankfully, the school has provided locations where there are people to guide you and to listen to any remarks. There have been many programs, many society groups and many great authority figures that set examples of how well the school is structured for the students at CCNY.

I feel that college is very important to alot of young people today and the most important thing is to choose the right college. Choosing the right college can be a very long a painful process. One of the most important thing to do when looking at different colleges is to visit the campus and speaking to different teachers, faculty, and students so that the child can get a good feel and different opinions from all parts. Another important thing to do is to research all the things that the school you are considering offers, look and see whether it offers many options to choose from when going towards a certain field. Finally checking out the extra curricular activities your school offers and the graduation sucess rate is always important. Keeping all those things in mind choose what is best for your future goals and what you feel is the most affordable and comfortable. College is not only about the school work it also about interacting and meeting new people. Through college you gain a self independence as you start the steps to adulthood and shape the person you will become and the life you will live.

We all make mistakes. It is up to us to better ourselves and learn from those mistakes. As a college freshman, I have learned the hard way that time management is key in succeeding college. The last minute work and studying is not an effective way to study in college. In high school, there was less freeedom and the work at the time seemed tremendous. In college, there is a lot more freedom from parents and less class time each day. It is up to you to make sure you use that time effeciently and to your advantage. As a senior, you should develop the mindset that completing or working on assignments before they are due is key, as well as studying for major tests. In college, it does not matter how well you know the professor and there is no "personality" points. You are graded based on papers and exams. Aside from the academic part of transitioning, it is also important to get active. The volunteering and interning that you did in high school was good and continue during college. Make time to meet new friends and socialize. Time management, discipline and positive mindset brings success in college life.