CUNY City College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for CUNY City College

Haresh

CUNY City College is a great school, especially for engineering.

Jacqueline

It's a great school for science majors. The school is definitely known for being very touch academically, but everyone that stays here knows the work you have to put in to get a good grade. It's a very science and math driven school, so sports and greek life is slim to none here but since it's in Harlem, there not much need to that kind of activity on campus; everyone has a life outside of this school. The school is also a commuter school; there are VERY FEW people who actually dorm here since it is a city school, everyone who goes here lives in the 5 boroughs so we all just commute and go home right after our lectures if we can.

Lewis

I currently enjoy my student life at City College of New York. It provides a lot of opportunity for those that seek for it. Academics are not everything. City College provides for those that want a degree, but also want to pursue their dreams and aspirations in other forms. I hope to be part of City College when I graduate.

Preeti

As an Education and English major, I have been fortunate to have been accommodated satisfactorily by my advisors, counselors, and professors. However, I know that other students who are in the science and engineering fields on my campus do not receive the same support. Many of these students struggle to get proper advisement and have to self-teach themselves in large lecture classes full of hundreds of students and a disengaging professor. I think this gap of support between majors needs to be closed. As a campus, we must serve all students equally and sufficiently. Regardless of if some students need more help than others, equity needs to be met in order for us to thrive. Furthermore, our grading policy should be revised. Currently, an addition + to a letter grade, has no effect on a student's GPA, as opposed to a (-) added to a letter grade. Thus the overachieving student who receives an A+ has no increase in their GPA, meanwhile, that same student's GPA can significantly drop if given an A- in a course. I have personally never eaten from the school cafeteria, but many students express their discontent with cafeteria food and hygiene. This is why many students eat at the local cafes and restaurants right next to campus. The campus security is great. Security guards are at mostly every door and require IDs to be shown and or worn. Furthermore, there is always public safety driving around the school and or nearby during school hours, and even during the night. Overall, my heart reaches out to City College because I have gained so much knowledge and experience from my three years here thus far. However, there does need to be significant changes in advising, grading policy, and cafeteria food in order to make the student experience at this commuter school much more worthwhile. Many of these students travel 2-4 hours a day commuting from their homes to campus which is tiring enough. Therefore, implementing measures to make school a much more pleasurable experience will benefit the students' overall experience, as well as their performance in school.

camila

its a great school i always wanted to attend city college and now that im part of i feel time is passing by so quick i havent had a chance to enjoy it.

Lenny

There are many things that this college needs to improve upon but there are also very good reasons to be here. In this college they have many options of a major to pick from and that you can switch at any time. The also want people to be more involved with the college life style.

It is such a wonderful place to grow and learn as a student! So grateful I go here!

Francesca

City College can was and is still described as "poor mans Harvord." CCNY is the oldest universty in NY and has been catering for immigrants since it was established. Because of this, it has one of the most diverse student body in the world. The provide an enormous amount of scholorahips and even more to undocumented students who cannot receive TAP or FASFA. It is a public institution so you receive what you pay for in terms of ammenities. However most of the professors are extremely kind and are happy to help you inside and outside the classroom. Everyone except the advising office is helpful and kind but since the technology is really outdated, you will need lots of friends for help. This is a school where you will become tough in standing up for yourself. All in all, it's a bargain for the price.

sydney

There are several opportunities to get involved at City College which is one element I appreciate because joining clubs helped me make friends and build connections with students I most likely would not have met or interacted heavily with outside of the classroom.

Wilbert

City College offered me a wealth of knowledge and connections even after graduating that I still receive. The classes where fun and the teachers cared about their students I miss being there good luck if you plan too attend city college it's a great institution.

Salma

overall this college is decent. at this point, you are getting what you pay for. I've only been a student for a year now and had mostly positive experiences. the campus is diverse and very beautiful. The only downside is the commute. It takes me 2 hours to get to campus every single day. I just wished I lived closer

Ledjan

it is a school that has a lot of pressure on the students, and faculty is never nice to us

Nicolette

City college is one of the best colleges in the CUNY system and I am proud to say that I am apart of their community. I am incoming freshman and I am excited to meet some people and see what they have in store for me and the other incoming students. They have great academics, amazing professors and a great student body.

Lana

City College is a great school. It's very diverse, and students and faculty are welcoming. There are several resources that students can utilize for help academically, and many professors care and try to help students along. Overall, I'm glad I chose to attend City College.

angela

If you are going to school for change and an experience, then you're in the right place. At City College, you're in the heart of everything. Food is at your calling with free delivery at almost every local place, there is activities to be found all over campus with hundreds of different clubs to be joined. Travel is easy with 3 subway stops close by and a shuttle that runs to 2 of them constantly. Running late and miss the shuttle? don't worry you can call a shuttle to come to you after hours.

There isn't much to student life, unless you join any clubs or school associated groups. If you live on campus it's really easy to meet people and make friends. Academics are okay, the teachers for the most part are engaging and genuinely care about their students, but some students act like they don't want to be here which can make some classes frustrating.

Jacqueline

I am really enjoying my time here so far, there are so many opportunities to get involved and if you show interest and ambition you have people behind you to support and guide you to success, however you define it. My freshman year professors are funny and engaged in what they are teaching, they make themselves available and the libraries are great!

Christina

There is a running joke at City College that the students are only there because they didn't get into Hunter College. Because of this, there isn't as much school pride say as the University of Miami. While there are dorms on campus, most students commute, so there isn't really a sense of togetherness. That being said though, the groups of people that do hang out together are usually doing something fun or interesting like playing music together, dj-ing in common area, or getting food from food trucks outside. If you are an outgoing, energetic person who has a strong stance on politics, then you are bound to make friends. On the flip side, if you want nothing to do with other people, the library is full of couches to nap and has two floors of complete silence. The student body is definitely filled with the most interesting people you'll ever meet, as a school in West Harlem is bound to be. I mean, where can you find a Greek immigrant, a kid who shows everyone pictures of his twin brother with Barrack Obama and pretends its him, and a feminist who is fluent in German in the same class? The academics are nothing to rave about, but there is some unusual classes like Psychology of Religion that you rarely find anywhere else. As for the buildings, the architecture is beautiful since City College is the oldest city school in New York. It's so old, in fact, Albert Einstein spoke of his Theory of Relativity in our own Shepard Hall. We also have a beautiful courtyard in between these old buildings that no other city school can boast. Overall, City College is an enjoyable place to be even though it's no party school. There's got to be something there if Michelle Obama choose to come and speak here.

Professors are always available after class time to help, definitely take advantage of office hours when needed! Everyone is really friendly on campus from students to faculty so don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. There are plenty of resources on campus as well as clubs. There's something for everyone.

Shanil

I like it. The place is pretty. The teachers and students are nice. I can not seem to find anything to do off campus. Escalators stop working every day, water leaks when it is raining in the marshack building. It takes forever to talk to anyone in the financial aid office. I like city college regardless.

Brauley

The city college of new york is a great, affordable school to get your degree from. It gives people the chance to attain an accredited degree, as well as make memorable connections with the staff and students. I recommend prospective students who are interested in Engineering, Psychology and English/Writing to apply and/or visit the campus for a tour.

Keilly

City College is a place people can go if they struggle financially because the school does very good with costs. Also, City College has a great history behind it which I think is amazing because the school still continues to grow and become more welcoming to different cultural backgrounds and religions. People know that if you ever need any help you can always find it on campus and off.

Claudia

In my year of attending CUNY City College, I have become very comfortable with the campus and the faculty, staff, and students that populate it. My mornings typically started with me rushing from the on-campus housing to the NAC or Marhsak for my classes. As the semester continued, I became friendly with one of the security guards, Ian. He was an amazing conversationalist and I began to leave my dorm 2-3 minutes earlier to account for the pause in my morning rush to talk with him. Each building has security in the front to check for school IDs and as time goes by they begin to recognize your face which made the campus feel extremely welcoming. As a student who stayed late in Harris Hall studying for exams, I often encountered the custodians. They always were friendly and made sure everything was clean for you to have the best studying environment. My professors were all extremely accessible and replied to emails within the same day. They held office hours, mainly by appointment, which were often flexible with your schedule. That being said, the financial aid office tends to be slow, but that is expected with any CUNY or SUNY.

shevaughn

Cuny city college is the affordable NYU the academics that are given here are on the top level with most of the more popular house name colleges like Columbia and NYU.City college gives the students who dosen't have the money to go to these schools a great education within the stem programs the law department and psychology departments overall this school is all you need to become successful and there are many opportunities that are in your grasp.City college offers many internships to help you get jobs and other fun clubs and organizations to help us students have that fun college life .The student life is incredibly and the professors are top notch.So when making your decision on college remember this City college is one of the best schools in the united states and could shape your future with its variety of majors and amazing job opportunists

Oscar

CCNY has its ups and downs. The social life activities may not be the best, but for a commuting college, it has a decent array of activities from sports to clubs. The main complaint shared by many of students of CCNY is the poor infrastructure of the school's buildings. CCNY does poorly in providing students with fast and efficient wifi, working elevators and escalators, and clean bathrooms. The food is not so great, but because we are seated in the heart of New York, you can easily get around by buying food nearby. If you're looking for the city life experience you won't go wrong with CCNY.

It's severely underfunded, but there are a lot of intelligent and hardworking students here. Professors are a hit or miss - if you use ratemyprofessor and register as early as you can, you will be fine. Overall, The experience is what you make of it.

Overall, it is a great school. It is a little hard to make friends as many people in the classes are very shy, however, there are a lot of activities that go on in the school to meet people outside of the classroom. Additionally, I constantly get emails about available scholarships, internships, and work opportunities that are connected to the school that I am eligible to apply for.

Dennique

CUNY City College is a great choice for someone who wants to attend college full time but still be able to keep a job that is close to home or stay involved in activities in the communities where they live. For a student who wants to get out of their NYC living environment CUNY City College might not be the best for them. The Academia at City College is rigorous enough to make the student feel like they are constantly busy doing some sort of task affiliated with school work.

Annamareia

It's a great school with an amazing campus the food is iffy at times and its hard to find a seat at others and for the most part professors care about you and give you plenty of opportunity to succeed with their aid. It is hard to make friends since it is such a big campus and every one is hustle and bustling as well but overall we strive to succeed and create career oriented and successful students from rags to riches as michelle obama emphasized and recognized in last years speech

Suphasa

It's a great school that offers a lot. As a student you just have to find what works for you and what doesn't. They offer a lot of programs which is the best part. There are many resources available for students to use, we just need to explore them more.

Sakura

I think that the school is very academically inclined but lack the proper suits to be considered really artsy as well as social. Because it's a really large campus, I find it impossible to make the time to make friends with people because every part of the day happens in a rush. The school does have lots of activities to join and become a part of but has a very limited club hour set-up. As far as safety is concerned, the public safety officers do a fair job but there are still too many accidents that happen. Overall, I think I better transfer out because the environment is not one that I feel very welcomed at.

Danielle

Very high quality education, great location, beautiful campus, but little to no clubs and social life if you live on campus. It is primarily a commuter school and very few people are interested in making lasting friendships. Not really your typical college experience, but good if you are just there to learn and go home.

Agal.

I think that there isn't enough general help, the financial aid office is terrible at helping students. My friend went everyday to that office and still wasn't given back the money they were supposed to reemborse and they even told her to do it on her own, online. Everyday she would leave more frustrated.

Jaiden

My experience at City College has been okay. I don't love or hate the campus. I feel this way because there isn't much to do on campus besides sitting in the library everyday.

Mayra

CUNY City College is a very diverse and inclusive environment. There is something for everybody. People are very welcoming and kind, they make you feel like you’re welcome no matter where you come from. The professors are amazing and usually available during their office hours if you need any help with anything. It’s an amazing school and even though it’s my first year, I love it here.

Mayra

Sabrina

CUNY City College was a school that I had originally chosen because of the price, and the major fact that it was the only school that offered an International Studies major as a stand alone program. To this day, I do not regret the choices that I have made. When I first started school, I really questioned if the hour and half commute to and from the school was really worth it. I felt that way until my junior year, when I got the chance to participate in the S Jay Levy Fellowship for Future Leaders. This program allowed me to network with professionals and partake in an internship that would ultimately change my life and future career plans. If I did not attend City College, then I truly would not be where I am today and I thank them for that. Despite the long commute, countless headaches and all nighters to finish papers, I can say that I truly appreciate the school for what it is and what it stands for.

Hailyn

City college is competitive and very diverse. City college pushes you to come out your comfort zone and participate and seek for new opportunities. If you have any questions you shouldn’t feel afraid to seek help, some staff can seem rude at first but there’s others that go above and beyond to help.

I think the students work hard and there are really good professors that are always available after classes and that want the students to succeed but unfortunately the work staff for Admissions, financial aid , advisement, Registrar, etc. Are not helpful and guide you to the wrong direction most students have to do their own research to find actual help financially and academically.