New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Colleen

Be sure to sign up for any scholarships that apply to you. Thankfully your college experience will be an easy transition when you enter LaGuardia but it will get much more difficult when you enter Hunter as the work load is larger. Take this time to learn to manage your time better and plan which assignments get done. When you take your first classes try not to get too nervous about the work you are given. You know your strengths and you take your work seriously. This is why when you are given any assignments or its time to study for your midterms or finals do not second guess yourself. Study and do the best you can. Your professors will see you are taking the class seriously and putting in the effort to do as well as you can. Just because you are transitioning to college does not mean it will be brutal. If you keep the responsible behavior you have now you will do fine. Do not let the horror stories about college psych you out. It will be stressful at times but you will be able to handle it. Be sure to enjoy this time as well.

The other students and their helpfulness. If you need directions or need help in a class a student or one of your classmates usually will not mind helping you. In my preivous college most students kept to themsleves and did not talk to anyone unless they had to. You had the rare moment when this was not the case but not often. So this was a nice change for me and I'm happy the student community here is so helpful.

Anyone who can not handle a big work load or is bad at time manegment. Classes at Hunter have a lot of work. Regardless if its an advanced or one of the lower courses you will have a lot of reading to do on top of assignments and studying for tests and midterms. This can easily burn anyone out regardless if they are full-time or part-time. You have to be able to mangage your work or you'll become overwelmed.

sean

I would look myself in the eye and say “your life will soon become very hard but the efforts are worth the reward". Because even before my senior year of high school I knew what i wanted and what is was going to take to get there. And there is no better advice to give someone that knows what they want then to just perceiver. Just like what John Quincy Adams said "Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."

Evangelina

Knowing what I know about college life now, I would go back to my bench at Arvin High, October 2005, tap on my shoulder, look at myself and say “Evangelina, stay positive, connect with people and don't be afraid to leave your family. Don’t be afraid to open yourself up to new experiences and incredible knowledge because once you do, the sky really is the limit. Be prepared for late night studying, writing papers and moments of self-appreciation for writing such awesome papers. The advice I’m giving to you is out of love and fore warning of the many rough and not-so rough school years ahead. Go away for school and don’t become another lazy statistic by not finding employment to help with tuition. Do not allow your parents to hold the burden of payments. Have fun in college because there are fun times but do not lose sight of the goal and what’s important; your time, energy, and money. Listen to me and have a wonderful prospering life.” Along with knowing what I know now, I know that I cannot change my past but my future is bright.

Virginia

It is culturally diverse and has many different wonderful classes.

It is culturally diverse and has many different wonderful classes.

College has a way of making a person humble. I entered college assuming that I will do well, but I did not prepare myself well in some classes and ended up with below than average grades. I learned that in order to succeed you need to work towards your goal on a daily basis. Make a table of assignments and deadlines for each class. Actively participate in class by asking questions and open your mind to the answers. When studying do not simply memorize, instead, give yourself time to understand the answer. Balance an academic life with a social life. Having a job, volunteering or simply hanging out with friends and family replenishes your drive to study. Also, network with people in class to form study groups or have someone to call for help. Most importantly be honest with yourself and plan for your future. If there is an opportunity that you want, believe in yourself and apply so that you won’t regret it later. Build your resume and curriculum vitae: apply for internships and summer enrichment programs and volunteer in areas that interest you. Mainly, make things happen for yourself. Improve yourself and take care of your health.

Everyone can attend this school. There is no type of person that should not.

FRANKLIN

My classmates are awesome.The best classmates any student would want to have.We all come from different ethnic groups and nationalities and that makes it interesting to learn from each other.

The name of my College is Hunter College, a city university of new york college. Known for its excellence in graduating the best graduates in New York and often sought after by employers from all works of life.The school is highly competetive because of the high standard of education it provides and i am proud to be a member of Hunter College.

Going to college has been paramount on my agenda. Growing up in a family of six with both my parents Masters Degrees holders in their educational careers,i promised myself that i would also acquire the same level of education as they did. My College endeavors hasr been chalenging for me,but i continue to strive for excelence in my studies. As a full-time worker and also combining it with college can be cumbersome on your body and mind.I managed to encomperate healthy lifestyle into my studies,such as exercising regularly . High school life is different from college life whereby the student has less responsibility to assume, especially with financial challenges that college student has to deal with. In my honest opinion i think high school students should start thinking about saving for college when they are still in high school.This would reduce the burden of financial instability by half. In conclusion,my advice i would give to myself would be acquire as much knowledge as you can in high school because that would go a long way in your studies at college,save for college and get a mentor to help you make good career choices.

Jonathan

Hunter College is one of the top schools in the CUNY system, offering a wide variety of degree programs and offering students a means to an affordable education with some of the most dedicated and intellectual professors available in the CUNY system.

The one piece of advice that I would give to myself is to stay true to who I was and who I wanted to become. The transition into college was difficult for me as I was the first member of my family to enroll in college and this resulted in me trying to fulfill what my family expected of me instead of what it was that I wanted to accomplish for myself. Four years into college I am now making a new transition into the school and degree program that I want to study, and while I can't dismiss the immensely valuable knowledge I have gained in my time at Hunter, I have inhibited myself from growing into the person I wanted to be. Stay true to who you are and never abandon your dreams in order to satisfy others.

The worst thing would have to be the social aspect of the school. There are many, many friendly people in the school, but because of large classes and Hunter being a commuter school, it can be difficult to form a lasting friendship. School clubs as well as school events due help to curb this issue.

Sean

Very liberal arts-type, mostly a commuter school. Excellent for undecided majors or people who haven't decided on a specific field in their major, or competitive nursing students with an excellent social worker program for graduate students. The campus isn't very appealing in looks, but you will get quality education equal to that of a 40,000 dollar a semester school for only about 2,500-3,000 dollar a year semester. Most professors are good if not excellent, although rate my professor is a recommended tool to use.

If at this moment I were able to speak to myself as a high school senior, psychology-volunteer work

People who want the dorming experience, people whom are interested in finance or business degrees as well as those who are looking for the "college party" experience. There are clubs and organizations at Hunter that are decent for socializing, but hunter is mostly a commuter school, so its not exactly the number one place for meeting people.

My school is a melting pot of races, religions, political views, and basically everything.

When I was a senior in high school I allowed people to make me believe that the most important thing in life is to make money. I was told the best careers would be in science. With this mentality I went into college to do science, but I wasn't happy. The only time I was happy was when I went to my art classes. I became depressed because I saw my future in science as torture not happiness. I then was advised by my peers to do as my heart desires. I changed my major to Fine arts and now I am ecstatic. You may be good at something, but if you don’t love it there is no point. Do what you love and you will be successful in more realms than just money.

Had I known what was in store for me when I entered college I wouldn't believe it. I came in with one mind set about how school affects your life and now have a completely different one. Basically, I used to think I had to do something with my life that would guarantee success, as in "practical majors". Now I believe that if you do what makes you happy, you will be successful no matter what. I initially went into school to do science, but ended up changing my major to fine arts. Do what makes you happy!

Aubrey

My school is one of the best school in New York City. ALthough it is located in the center of the city, but the school atmosphere does not fade. There are a lot of students from different countries and cultures in this school or just in one class. The school itself provides enough equipments for students to learn, such as computer, wifi, library and also laboratories. The advisors will give their best to help students in deciding what courses to choose, no matter if the student doesn't speak english well.

If I can go back in time, I would tell myself that college life is tough. Not only in deciding what major to take but also going through it and bonding with new people. Because once I get into college, the choices are: go big or go home? I considered myself as a very shy person in class because I don't have courage to speak up in class or simply ask the teacher about a discussion question. Therefore, I would tell myself to learn how to communicate with new people and not to be a shy person. College life is not as easy as it looks like in the movies. Some times college can be fun, but most of the time it's very hard. One of the reasons is that I have to sacrifice my social life for school, because I have a goal for my future. Another reason that being in college is hard because of the competition among the students in class. Sometimes when one of my classmates got a higher grade than me, I would stay up all night to study. Therefore, I would tell myself to be prepared for the hardness of college life.

Before I came to this school, I wish I knew that this school gives me the opportunity in pursuing my medical career. In the beginning, I hated this school because of the location, which is in the middle of the city and also because this school doesn't have any park liek other schools might have. However, when I started to study in this school, I realized that location doesn't effect the quality of the school, but It's the teachers and the curriculums that matter for my future education and career.

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.