New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Steven

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior the first thing I would do is tell myself that there are many opportunities out there. I would tell myself that school comes first before anything. Work, athletics, and maybe even friends. It is important to stay focused in school. Work is also important because it provides funds, but it is also a distraction from what is truly important. Work will only help you in the meantime; whereas school will help you out for life. There are also scholarships, financial aid, school clubs, and many different opportunities that help out a student with tuition, books, and all kinds of academic expenses. I would also recommend myself to go straight to school and not waste any time. Yes, it is importance to balance your work load, but it is also important not to waste time because the longer you spend the more things change in the world (i.e. work, economy, politics, etc). But over all I would tell myself to enjoy myself. Stay focused in school, but also realize that if you don't like what you do, then it probably isn't worth it.

desarae

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there is much advice I would give myself. The first thing I would address to myself is to continue non-stop with classes in college. Stopping with classes for one of the semester will only make it longer to reach my goal in finishing my major. The second thing I would tell myself is to practice time management skills. There are a lot more deadlines in collage than there is in high school, and in collage they are not as willing to let you turn in work late. Also with time management, will help with my studying. When you are a full time student you need sufficient enough time to give each course attention in retaining information. I would let myself know it is always best to do things early. The earlier things are done, the more time to edit work and or study for other classes. The last thing that I would tell myself is to always take good notes. I noticed the more neat and organized my notes were, the better my grades were.

Katrina

Don't sweat the small stuff, college is important, but you should be going crazy over anything. If you do that now, how are you going to act once you're done with this? Listen to your peers, ask about good teachers, you can't always trust rateyourprofessors.com, although that is a good start. Do us both a favor and talk to more people, you're so quiet, college is about education and metting connections! Get out and mingle, no one is going to bite your head off over it! Dont worry about fashion too much either, believe me, you'll want to save your money for your school supplies and "surprise" emergencies. Basically, college isn't hard work. I mean, it is, but it's not ALL hard work. Calm down and enjoy these years, they're supposed to be your best.

Lawrence

As it pertains to me, their foreign language programs is one of the best among CUNY. They recently got almost a million in funding to start a flagship Chinese education program. Also, the professors, not the adjuncts, tend to be big shots in their field. If you look them up online, you'll see that they tend to have a finger in every pie. Last, all the buildings are connected which means that when its raining, you dont have to get wet to go to your next class in another building.

College isn't that serious, relax and enjoy the ride. Make friends during the first semesters. Since no one knows anyone, everyone is pretty open and its nice to have a sort of college "family" to hang and eat with or call in case of anything. Explore your interests through the elective courses they offer especially during the very first freshman semester when the courseload is light. Learn an instrument, a language, how to scuba dive, whatever and if it doesnt work out, the withdrawal date is far enough that you can have fun with no strings attached or effect on your grades. But dont slack off on the 101 classes! A high GPA is easy to get, through them, at the beginning and will make you eligible to more scholarships and financial aid. Speaking of, be friendly with people at the financial aid office. They hear of scholarships and grants first so a heads up from them might be gold. Finally, understand your major's course plansheet and requirements and register for classes the minute your registration appointment opens up. You can choose comfortable class hours and avoid an extra year of college because of a missed class.

The paperwork and bureaucracy to get anything done in this place has to be seen to be believed. Get EVERYTHING done ASAP because you wont have time to go from building to building all day when the classes are in full swing. And as stated, the professors are well known but the adjuncts are just there as a part time job. So if you really care about a particular class, do your research, find out whos who, and go for the distinguished professors who arent as uptight as the adjuncts and usually more fun and effective.

Tara

If I could go back in time and speak to myself, I would tell myself to look at my future and do something with it. I had a child my senior year of high school and barely graduated. I did not enroll in college for another 10 years, and had looked in the mirror at a divorced, empty, and devastated person. I wondered what I had done with my life. I had done nothing; I didn't have a career, I had a job that I hated that barely paid the bills. I am now a full-time student, and I struggle to manage. I wish I had gone to college right out of high school. Oh what I would do to be able to go back in time..

Frances

Frances, I know right now you want to sing and dance, but put your best foot forward to get into a college that gets you where you want to go. Intelligence and ability are qualities to build on even in the arts. Don't procrastinate about this and think one of these days you'll get around to it. You may never get that round tuit, because you missed to opportunity to obtain it. You may think time plentiful now, but use wisely the time you're handed. Better jobs in every field become available for those with a degree, but extremely limited to those without. You may be the most talented prospect for a job, but without that degree, it tells the boss you weren't willing to work hard enouph to be educated in the career you want to be in. Don't let anybody tell you that you shouldn't aim high. I say, "Aim as high and far as you want. Just make sure you shoot for the target. Remember, if you take take your eyes off the target then it moves and finding it becomes longer and more difficult." Life awaits you, go for it!

Christina

Hunter College is an institution that facilitates the growth of students into well-rounded individuals, preparing them for the world they are about to attain.

If I were able to go back in time and converse with my high school senior self, there would be so many things I would want to tell her. First, it would have to be to believe in yourself and that anything really is possible. Thusly, take any and every opportunity that comes your way, because they are all experiences that make you stronger and wiser. When I was in high school, I did not believe I could have achieved all of things I have today, especially considering where I come from and the lack of support I had. Yet this encourages me to want to tell all young girls that grew up in poverty that whatever you desire in this world is yours, as long as you believe that you can attain it and work hard to do so. I would caution her that there are going to be people that doubt you, and at times, when you doubt yourself, but you must remember why your goals are so important to you, and that the only person who can hold you back from success is yourself. You are capable of anything and the world truly is yours.

All kinds of people sould attend this school because its diversity is what makes it so great, yet they should be prepared to be open-minded in order to absorb all the rich knowledge around them.

I would tell myself not to worry about the transition. Going to a community college is just about the same as high scool, the only difference is that doing the work is more of a responsibility for myself and myself only. Teachers won't be breathing down your throat on whether you did the homework or not. It is your responsibility to make sure that you study, pay attention is class, and maintain a high grade point average, because without your gpa, you basically have nothing. I would also tell myself that keeping a planner and color coding all the things that I need to get done will be perfect for transitioning, so that that way, I never forgot about what I have to do.

Diana

Focus on your priorities and enjoy life. Plan ahead for each semester, make sure the prerequisites are met for the classes you need to take, meet with a financial aid representative and ask about grants and scholarships for academic exellence especially if you are part of a minority. There are vast opportunities to increase academic ethnic diversity. Meet with an academic counselour and ask for potential interships or special programs in the field you are interested. It will provide you with experience. Assist symposiums and network with other people even if they are not in your field of interest. You never know who you can meet and how meeting that person can help you in the future. Have good relationships with your proffessors, become acquaited to them, they'll provide you with strong recommendation letters. Have connections with classmates and most of all enjoy yourself because college time goes by fast and you will regret it if you missed it. Live your life and enjoy your friends' company. At the end of the day its your choice what you are studying, so be Passionate about it! Everything will happen along the journey not in one day so TAKE IT EASY!

science classes are too big the lack of places to hang out and study comfortably

no green areas, school is situated in the middle of the city

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.