New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Aja-Nicole

My classmates are amazing we love to talk about topics we've discussed in class. They enjoy group work and like to help one another.

Well Hunter College is in the middle of the City not too far from Central Park. I love being about to walk around the park with my friend in the Spring. Also all of our buildings are connected by glass bridges so while you're eating lunch on the bridges you can watch the city come alive. The cars passing by, the people walking up and down. And oh yea it's in the perfect area for shopping!

I would tell myself to pick my grades and to work on my study habits. In highschool the work came easy to me but college is different, it's much harder. I would tell myself to stay focused and to take AP spanish and AP english so I wouldn't have to take it in college.

Tina

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would focus on two major points. First off, I would tell myself to go into the college experience without any expectations. I would tell myself to do what I feel is right and go to the college of my choice instead of where of others think you should go. I would tell myself to stop worrying about if I was making the right choice of school and just let life happen. Allowing yourself to feel regret can break you. Besides having the right mentality, I would also tell myself to put more money away into my savings before starting college. To not have to worry about money while in school frees up your mind and energy to focus more clearly on your studies and your time outside of school. There are so many clubs and extracurricular activities waiting for you at school, which you may not get an opportunity to take part in if you are working full-time and going to school full-time.

The most frustrating thing about my school is its extremely large population. The number of students attending can be overwhelming at times. Events such as campus tours and orientation are high in attendance and the individual attention is not there for each student. The hallways are always crowded as are computers labs and the library.

A person who is uncomfortable with crowds and large groups of people should not attend this school. Someone who does not like city life and all that goes into it should not attend. A student who needs a lot of individual attention from advisors, teachers, etc. should not come to this school.

Shanna

My classmates are diligent and opportunistic young individuals that are challenging themselves with rigorous courses in their fields of major and/or minor, striving for the best by studying hard to reach the ultimate goal of graduation with that stunning 4.0 GPA, taking the most of each experience they encounter, networking and meeting new individuals that will open new doors of opportunities, and utilizing the knowledge learned from the classes to real-world problems and situations; however, they are capable of doing so by creating a balance of work and study with having fun and enjoying the college life.

Ranked as one of the best-valued colleges and universities in America by US News and World Report, CUNY Hunter offers a wide variety of challenging courses in liberal arts and sciences, education, pre-nursing, and pre-med with an affordable tutition. Like the courses, the student body is very diverse, with a large population of students from the metropolitan area, from all over the USA, or even from around the world.

I would tell my high school self that college life is very different. The high school-college transition may be difficult to handle, but over time it will become ritualistic and enjoyable. It requires a significant amount of determination and effort to be successful in college courses. You may receive professors that seemingly hate you and will do anything to fail you, but these are just obstacles that test your true strength as an assiduous student and person. When times get tougher and everything you do seems to never work, just take a breath and relax, clear your mind, and start fresh the next day. Remember to never give up, stay focused and just try again. However, college is not strictly about receiving straight A's and seeing that glorious 4.0 on your transcript. It is about creating an efficient balance between work and studying with socializing and having fun. Don't be afraid to join clubs and attend events that are offered and held on the campus, which is a great way to meet new people and develop lasting friendships. Keep in mind that college is a privilege that leads to new life-changing opportunities.

Sarilee

Hunter College is best known for its Graduate school. It was ranked 10th in U.S. News and World Report of 2010. Besides being known for its Graduate school its also known for being the most diverse school in the country. Here no one would be an outcast and its very easy to make friends of your nationality. Its diversity allows the clubs to be very diversified as well. Being at Hunter theres no need to travel around the world to get a grasp of each culture, its many clubs and students provides one with enough information.

If I were to have a time machine that would transmit me to my senior year once again, I would give myself a lot of advices. I would let myself know that procrastination is not the best way to go in the application process. I will let myself know that time is something one should value a lot and take into consideration in one's senior year. Using time effectively to complete my applications and using time effectively to engender outstanding admission essays could've probably granted me my #1 choice in the list of my college preferences. I would've notified myself that college not only depends on the academics but also on ones financial status and I would've devoted more time to my fafsa and scolarship applications. Getting to know a college through a computer screen rather than physically visiting the college could also be a tough process, therefore, one should dedicate more time and effort towards researching universities. Our college degree is whats going to determine our future, therefore, it would be a smart idea to sacrifice the current time for the future.

The best thing about my school I would have to say is its location. It?s so easy to access from anywhere within the five boroughs of New York. The college has its own stop in the 6 train and it?s in the heart of New York, Manhattan! Its just minutes away from Central Park and there are a lot of retail stores; Hence, if you need a last minute outfit, Arden b, Banana Republic and more are right around the corner. Its diverse student population is also another feature that I love about the college.

Olga

If I could go back in time I would advise myself to follow my interests and major in something that completes me as a person. Never ever allow parents or anyone else influence your decisions, because college is the time to decide everything for yourself. College education is not about majoring in something that would get you a job with high paying salary, because if that major does not fully capture you, you'll end up miserable and with low grades. College is about following your interests and developing your talents, because once you are out of college, job will take the biggest part of your time and life. So, college gives you an invaluable chance to discover what you love and best at; and it takes courage and desire to do that. After four years of college I learned that one could get any job at almost any institution with any major. A history major can easily apply to work at the bank or physics major student can became a politician. I would let myself know that life changes, we all evolve, and this time at college is the crucial time to dream, experiment and just do.

open minded, ambitious, hardworking, a person who is willing to experiment, liberal, active

the most frustrating thing at my school is administration. Sometimes I feel that it is almost impossible to resolve any problems, because no one knows anything and they just make you run around the school trying to get something done.

stephanie

I would tell myself that college is not just a breeze like many college students tend to claim. Studying is vital if you want to succeed on tests but also succeed in participation during classtime. I would also tell myself to use all available resources that are offered on campus, such as the tutoring centers, the computer labs, and most certainly the professors office hours. I would also encourage anyone entering college to fully investigate the academics at the school as well as ask some current students about how they feel in regards to its policies, its academics, and many other things mentioned in the past surveys.

I wish I had known about the work load because it is difficult to hold a job and manage alot of the schoolwork, but I am able to do it, it just becomes extremely time consuming.

I feel the English department in my school is the best thing about Hunter because the professors for many of the classes guide you in your writing while also allowing you to be creative and develop your own style at the same time.

king

What was unique about Hunter College was its diversity in both student body and faculty. I believe that if you can teach and learn amongst other races then you can work amongst them as well.

Assuming that I can go back in time and be able to talk to my high school self, some advices that I would tell myself is get to know the faculty, more importantly, get to know the professors. Building a relationship with your professor is very essential. Ask them questions. Make sure you know what they want in the semester that you have them for. Also, don't procrastinate. It's important to leverage the time you have on projects, essays and tests. If you procrastinate, the work builds up and the work suffers in the end because you speed through the work just to pass with an exceptional grade. Set a schedule for yourself when it comes to schoolwork. Finally, make friends in school. Most people are friendly and everyone is in the same boat as you. Having friends in class not only makes it more fun but it can also improve your grade by setting up study groups where people can leverage other peoples knowledge of the work. College will be the best four years of your life, so don't ruin it.

Students who want to pursue a business career should not be attending Hunter College. Hunter College is a school primarily on science and health. Hunter college doesn't provide the best academia for business majors but does introduce small categories like accounting and computer related careers.

Sau

This school is in the center of the city. Transportation is easy and a variety of places are easy to get to. There is a park (Central Park) just a few streets down for people to relax and exercise. There are also many resturants, convience stores, boutique stores, etc. around the area so students at Hunter can enjoy themselves on a break or just to hang out.

Never be lazy! College is not anything like high school where many things are given to you. In college, you bascially depend on yourself to get good grades. Your professors won't always be here to help you and not every class have class notes for you to study. Take your own notes! Just because some class don't take attendance, doesn't mean you don't have to go to class. By missing one class, you miss out on so many informations that your fellow classmates have gotten. Also, just because you have a friends in the same class, don't take it for granted or depend on them to give you the class notes! The first year of your college life might be a little hard with all the transitions do make. However, don't worry since there are many people here willing to help you make yourself comfortable. You can go to your adviser for help. Your adviser helps you choose the right classes so that you can graduate in a timely manner. So never hesitate or feel embarrassed to go see your adviser. He/She would be your guidance throughout your college life.

Those who are lazy or laid-back people should not consider this school. The work is demanding and a lot of times, difficult. Since this school is mainly for health fields, if people are not interested in this field, then most likely, this school is not for them.

Marie

Hunter College is diverse, urban, and yet has a very personal feel.

Hunter College is diverse, urban, and yet has a very personal feel.

Having gone through four years of college and graduating with a BS in Sociology, I would definitely do a few things differently if I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school. First, I would tell myself to attend every class and take good notes (even though it can be tough after a late night), it's worth it! I finally figured this out my senior year in college, and it saved me so much study time. I found that if I just forced myself to attend each class and take good notes, I didn't have to cram late nights before exams, and my GPA rose drastically. Secondly, I would recommend meeting with professors during office hours as opposed to calling or emailing with questions. It often helps to put a face to your name, and you can get better help in person. Good luck!

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Whether it be financial aid, cirriculum, or even personal matters relating to your education. There are so many resources available to you as a student. And while it may seem intimidating, you need to take advantage of these. Also, attending every class and taking good notes will save you from last minute cramming and improve your GPA.

Sana

It is a school filled with opportunities if one knows where they want to go and is very focuse.

Don't ever get stuck in the senioritis phase. You will not get out of it till you get to your sophomore year in college and by that time it is too late. Do give yourself some vacation time in the summer before you go off to college. Have an idea of why you would like to get a college education. Many go into College without having the slightest clue of why they are there. You don't have to know exactly what major you will be persuing but do know the why behind your actions. Is it because you want to become a more knowledgeable person or is it because you want a higher paying job? What result do you want to end up with when you will eventually finish College? Know these basics and then work towards your goal. If you don't know what major you will be persuing then keep an open mind and allow yourself to discover new courses but make sure you have a time limit set for yourself so that you don't get distracted and end up having no major when you are a senior. Have a work/life balance!

The kind of person that should attend this school is one who is artistic or one who is very much into science or nursing.

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.