New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Meredith

I did not go on the "typical" college path. I come from a single parent home, and when I turned eighteen I left my small town of Mandeville, Louisiana to New York City to pursue a career in modern dance. My mother and I did not visit school campuses, we did not even discuss college as an option for me. She basically left my future and the decisions in my hands. I was young and did not realize how crucial having an education is in our society. So after three years of dancing I decided it was time to seek a degree. First, I went to BMCC, took a few courses and transferred to Cuny Hunter College. Where I am currenty double majoring in Media Studies and Dance. I am now twenty three and feel very lucky that I had the chance to go to school and get an education. Now, in my "older" age, and a non-typical student (which most aren't at Hunter) I am taking my education seriously and passionately. So, my advice to parents/students about finding the right college is not to put too much pressure on yourself to be a typical student.

The administration. Oasis, finacial aid, etc. really frustrating, and no help at all!

I am a part of the dance department. It's a really great program .

Sadiyah

Hunter College a great school. It has a very culturally and ethnically diverse poopulation. There are hundreds of facilities available to students. It has hundreds of clubs and is an all around wonderful school. I absolutely love it!

I would definitely recommend this school to anyone looking for a diverse, commuter school. It has a wide array of classes available and wonderful faculty members who are willing to help every student. Hunter College has a large percentage of distinguished Professors and is affordable for people of all economic backgrounds.

Tiffany

When it comes to choosing the right college, it's not always about the name of the college. A well known college or university may not always be the best school for you. Keep in mind that you can always get the same if not better education from a city college than if you go to an outer state college. Plus it's also more affordable and you may not even have to take out student loans. This is especially good for people who plan on continuing their education after their baccaleruate degree. What matters is the kind of people you will meet and the quality of the education you will receive. It is important to go to a school that offers what you want. Don't just look at the academic aspect of a school but also the different organizations that they have. When you are in college, I highly recommend to become apart of an organization or club. Not only is it a great resume booster but you will probably have some of the best experiences in your college life. I hope this helps. Good luck!

You may very likely take a class in an auditorium with 200 other people and have a not so good professor. But that's usually if you are taking a science course. Registration can sometimes be a pain if you are one of the people who have a later registration date.

If you like to associate with people from different cultures and ethnic backgrounds, Hunter is THE school to attend. The group of people that you may meet in your degree classes will almost become like a second family to you. Everyone is usually really helpful and most professors are really great. PLUS, the education you receive is definitely worth the low tuition you pay if you are a New York City Resident.

Adeline

My classmates are friendly and helpful.

My classmates are friendly and helpful.

Parents and students should always visit the colleges the student is applying to together so that they can get a better sense of what the school is like. This way they can experience the surroundings of the school and be able to talk to anyone: students or faculty about the school itself. Once the parents and students gather as much information they need, it will be easier to choose a college to their liking, making the student's college experience more delightful rather than simply choosing just any college. Also, the student should joins as many clubs as possible and get involved in any school activities, including sports teams. This way, the student can take part in the school and can do what he/she likes to do best. The student will not only think that school is for learning, but it is also a place where you can enjoy oneself with one's friends and peers.

Joelle

I would tell them to look into the location of the college and the size because not everybody enjoys the same type of school. Next I would tell them to look at the resources the college provides in term of tutoring, academic advisement and much more. But most of all, I would advise them to talk to random students in the school and ask them about their thoughts on the school. Those students will be able to give them advices and informations that you don't get in a school catalog.

The best thing about my school is that it has so many venues around it that allows for great social life and learning experience. It is not a very big school, therefore you thend to get to know some people very well. Central Park is very close to us and we are in the middle of the semester.

I wish that I knew how they teach the science courses there because I don't do well in lecture classes.

krista

its a commuter campus. I don't stay to make friends, I go to learn and leave.

its a commuter campus. I don't stay to make friends, I go to learn and leave.

Go according to what offers you the most choices of what to study, and where you would feel the happiest living.

The oasis dept and not being able to get help

Katherine

Classmates are people like me, learning about themselves, constructing new identies, all by taking different courses that stimulate new great thoughts.

College is a great way to learn about what you are interested in. It is more important to enter college just wanting to be stimulated and introduced to new ideas , ways of thinking, cultures, etc. You don't have to know what your life's plan or goals are yet. If you enter college like that, you will always enjoy it, no matter what school you end up in. This is also why I never say a school is good, it is good for different individuals, and you will learn that on your own.

The lack of guidance at Hunter College is horrible. There are no advisors assigned to students until their senior year, when they find out everything they should have studied in order to graduate. (If they had adviors this would not happen.)

Katherine

Finding a right college means you need to have an idea of what you want to do and accomplish later on in life however, you may be unsure. When you get to college you can take a variety of courses and decide what better suits you whether its Business, Medicine, Law... To have a great college experience is to have a balance between your social life as well as private such as studying. You have to study really hard but don't overwork yourself and take some breaks during the semester for socializing with family and friends. They really give you the boost you need to succeed. Take part in various activities, such as attending club meetings, playing a sport, internships, research with professors (very exciting and valuable) and really enjoy the college life.

A person who is well focused and is really into Law, Business or Pre-Med. It is a really fast-paced university where you can't fall behind in your readings and studying because you will never pass if you do it at the last minute.

The Pre-Med program is very hard but it will worth it in the end and I'm proud i go to this school

Teri-Ann

Visiting the school is the most important thing you can do. You can never really know what fits you until you experience it for yourself. Also, never rule out transfering. Don't settle if you can have something better.

Those who are intolerant or discouraged by differences, those who are not open to a world beyond themselves and those who aren't open to changing themselves or their environment for the better.

The worst thing about my school is the online course registration system, which occasionally shuts down when a massive amount of students log on at the same time to sign up for classes.

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.