New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Leah

Hunter is full of diversity. it focuses on independence when it comes to academics. The professors are pretty intersting and the school does a pretty good job of communicating with its students considering that it is A: a city school and B: its large population of students.

Always go on your gut feeling. Choosing a school based on its name isn't always the right decesion for you. Talk to students honestly and ask questions. Be responsible about studying and completing work for classes, because chances are that you or your family are paying for them, so make the best of it. College is a very individual experience. What one may love another may hate, so never trust anyone's opinion completely when it comes to professors or classes. If you're going to party, save it for the weekends. Try and have a social life or at least do something other than homework once in a while, even if you are under a heavy academic load. Having periodic social time or relaxation does wonders to keep you sane.

Develope a balance between your spiritual, intellectual, physical and social life. Too little or too much of either is unhealthy to the body and mind.

That getting a lab seat in Organic chem was going to take be two semesters. Everyone is either achem or bio major and needs lab hours

The diversity among the students. I love that we are located 5 min from central park and 5 minutes from time square.

Jennelle

Most of them are friendly and not too uptight or act like a "no it all." They are respectful towards each other and do bicker over the discussions. Afterall, we are all adults.

I believe that it is very important that you research the colleges. Also visit them, because everything that you see on paper does not add up to the overall picture. Upon entering college a student must have [at least] some sort of idea of what career they would like to pursue in the future. Overall, college is a wonderful institution to gain both intelluctual and diverse experiences.

Jared

A very large urban and diverse liberal arts college that caters to each of its students with individual care and attention.

In this day and age, your undergraduate school is not what really matters. Save your money and go to a good state or public college and work hard. Spend your money on graduate programs because that is all that businesses and firms care about. Also, do not just take the "safe path." College is about figuring out who you are and what you really enjoy doing, not about getting a job or passing classes so you can move on to something else. Take your time and try as many different courses of study that you can. In the end, you should do what makes you happy, not what makes your parents and peers happy. Learn for yourself and keep an open mind. And for the parents, encourage your children to seek out the unfamiliar because the worst thing a parent can do is facilitate a student's own self-perpetuated cloistering.

The incredible amount of diversity because it makes the simple task of walking down a hallway a learning experience as I can meet people from every corner of the earth, of every religion, creed, sexual orientation and socio-economic background. It makes classes all the more interesting as I can hear views and opinions that I would not ordinarily hear if I went to a school with a demographic similar to myself.

Jessie

Two guys from Brooklyn, O.T. and Ross, discuss Hunter, its many clubs and programs, and life in general.

A student discusses the student body’s interest in learning, Hunter campus life, the surrounding area, & lack of pride

What are your classes like?

A senior majoring in Econ discusses how the major is a good program, though more geared toward academia.

What are your classes like?

An English major discusses academics, political activism, and Hunter in general.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

A History/German major discusses liberal arts, social life, the food, dorms, and commuting at Hunter.

What are your classes like?

Student from Hong Kong discusses the difference between Hunter’s academic environment and that of Hong Kong.

Irina

Maria and Jackie talk about the diverse Hunter community.

Maria and Jackie talk about the diverse Hunter community.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

On the 3rd Floor Bridge, an interview with our intern Irina, about social life at Hunter.

Describe the dorms.

On the 3rd Floor Bridge, an interview with our intern Irina, about living in Hunter dorms.

On the 3rd Floor Bridge, an interview with our Hunter intern Irina, who is a psychology major

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Interview with human rights major / film studies minor. Also, about the social spots around Hunter.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The Honors College lounge, with students studying.

Interview with Hunter’s Student Body President in the student government offices. He talks about his work at the school

A courtyard at Hunter, with students hanging out

A crossroads between classrooms, with escalators, in Hunter West

What are your classes like?

Outdoor interview with Ms. Morales. She is an older student at Hunter, who teaches high school.

What are your classes like?

Outdoor interview with a media major

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Students studying on Hunter’s 8th Floor Balcony.

When you step off campus what do you see?

A view from the 8th floor balcony of Hunter of the Manhattan skyline.

On the 8th Floor, Hunter’s outdoor terraces

The bridge on the 7th Floor of Hunter West.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

One of Hunter’s dining halls, connected to the cafeteria.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The entrance to Hunter’s library, and being turned away by a security guard.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Hunter’s computer portals, outside the 3rd floor walkway.

On the bridge between Hunter West and Hunter East, as part of Irina’s tour.

Beginning of the tour, outside Hunter’s West Building

Victor

The experiences I'll always remember at Hunter is sitting on the stairwell in the drama department, cramming for microbiology exams. Or relaxing with friends on the veranda in the West building on the eighth floor. Some professors hold classes out there during the summer, and it makes class fun that way. Students do complain about the bird-poop there. But they put covers now, so you can even sit out there during rain.

Hunter is a big school. Many races, ethnicities, religions, etc... If you are biased, you'll get a wake-up call at Hunter, because it is so diverse. People from small towns often experience cultural shock at first, but you get used to it. And you'll learn a lot about others and yourself this way.

If you like Manhattan and being on the go, Hunter is for you.

The first isn't true. If you're outgoing, you'll make friends. If not, it can be difficult. The food, though, isn't the best. And it's expensive.

In bio, no one really knows your name. These classes are very large. The academic requirements overall are alright, tolerable. Except, that you must declare a minor. Which sucks, because it wastes time and money.

If you're a guy, 70% of students are female. So, you're in luck. Social life is not very big at Hunter because it's a commuter school = education and personal life is separate. You come in, learn, and then go home to your life and friends. Also, you don't hear about fraternities and sororities. Maybe they exist, but I don't know about them.

It isn't sociable, the cafeteria food sucks.

Alex

when I tell people I go to hunter, they look down on me as i come from a well-to-do area where most people go to expensive, private, and ivy league-schools. I think we need more of a close-knit campus, get people invested, to know eachother. I think hunter is amazingly located and more classes should take advantage of that.

I think people are very segregated. I think people should run against goverment as there is no competition at all among students and so we only have one option, but since students are not involved the same group remains in govement and i think they are exclusive. there are too few men. most students are lower-middle class so have jobs and other pre-occupations on their mind. hunter is not a home, its an obligation. most are liberals to an extreme (for example, the socialist club) that has completley biased and misinformation.

The palestinian club has signs with swastikas on it. thats a hate crime and not free speech. it should be taken down now!

people are not stupid but they are often immigrants and do not know english well, have many jobs after school and arent invested in studying, go to get a degree not for the sake of learning.

the professors are mostly great, the students are no challenging however. students are not invested, competitive, involved. they usually seem bored, uninterested, or frustrated at being in classes. This gets better with upper level courses.

clubs are very segregated with minorities on the 3rd floor of thomas hunter... dorm rooms are not open because the doors are too heavy for that (can that be changed!) alot of things to do always, great organizing especially at the dorms

Students are stupid, poor, and uninvolved in school events.

Kendall

Hunter is a very diverse school. As an international student, I feel extremely comfortable here. I've adapted well, thanks to the concideration of my professors and peers. I've made a ton of good friends from different parts of the world, not only Georgia. I even met my girlfriend, who is from Austria, here.

I don't think anyone would feel out of place here. This college is so diverse and is right in the center of Manhattan. You can't go wrong. Most students are middle class. Most just can't afford to go to the top notch universities, no matter how good their grades are (unless they get a scholarship somehow). With America in recession, I speculate that students are doing the smart thing here. Graduating from NYU $30,000 in debt and then not being able to find a job, like a few friends I know, is too risky for even those who can afford it. Especially for international students like me because you're pretty much on your own two feet.

Hunter is not all that bad. People are just busy and tired from being busy. Doesn't make us any less intelligent than those in private universities.

Not even close. There are many extremely intelligent individuals I've met here, especially in the medical fields (not saying there aren't smart ones in others). No one is careless. Everyone studies hard, and puts on and puts on a "mask". But underneath we're all very concerned about our course work and futures.

At Hunter, we're very competitive. It may not show on the face but, believe me, the drive is there. The academic requirements are a little tough though. The General Requirements can be really irritating because they take up so much time! And if you transfer from a college abroad, many of your credits could just transfer as electives...which stinks. Though, in some cases, you can appeal to have a class count for a requirement. Usually, they'll give in. Especially, if you're in something like French literature and you need to do two semesters of bio lab when you have already taken a semester at your other university. It just wouldn't make sense to do it again!

I don't know about many clubs. I just know there are some film clubs and groups (Russian, German, varied, etc..). I mostly go to the film nights, especially when there are French films playing, since French language is my minor. Also, theater is very popular. Plays are always being put on here. Oh yes, the drama club is VERY popular with film and theater majors. For some reason, I never hear about fraternities or sororities. I live in a dorm on the Brookdale Campus and people are not very crazy about parties. Sometimes I get a few friends over and we chill. My floor is boring I guess.

That the Hunter student body are somehow inferior to other students. That they are careless.

Tristan

Hunter almost feel just just another HS, it's small for me ideal college but its located in the city so hey, what'd you expect. I also like how the school is smack in the middle of EVERYTHING. There's a bookstore across the street, the shopping district isn't too far away, the park is right there near the school. Hunter college is in new york city- the center of the world. I'd like to see more interaction between the administration and the students, maybe the dean/president would like to visit randomly selected classes just to participate with the students. I don't even know the face of the person who runs this school. I spend most of my time in the library, it's nice and quiet, although i would occasionally fall asleep from the cold AC.

sometimes i feel like there really isn't much opportunity to make friends, mostly because you only get to see them for one or two classes, sometimes twice or once a week for an hour. and when that semester is over and you don't take the same classes with that person anymore and you move onto different students who eventually does the same thing. i met my friends because we had a block in our first semester, so we would be in the same classes everyday, we would see each other everyday, talking about the current classes etc. its a block where the students are working towards the same goal so its quite easy to befriend them.

I feel like the "general education requirement" wants students to learn-just for the sake of learning and be a well rounded individual. If the school wants us to work toward our future careers then those who wish to major in literature wouldn't need to take math or science based courses. Although i could care less about my history courses (required for GER) I sort of also like the information I'm learning. The credit's not really going to my still undecided major (i want to study science ) but it's still nice to learn about something outside of my major. most of my professors don't know my name, it's something that is both good and bad. the good thing would be since the professor knows my name and my face it would pressure me to learn. I would feel embarrassed if my professor hands me a bad grade and looks at me with a disappointed look. but then again that is also a bad thing, b/c maybe i don't want to feel pressured. class participation is uncommon, since most professors don't call on people to respond, usually the more opinionated kids take over the class, leaving people like me to doze off in the back, doodling and what not.

I'm currently involved in two japanese media clubs, both are about the same thing -watching anime or japanese drama.

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.