New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Daniel

I think Hunter could be bigger. The school could use a better physical activity program. The administration could reduce some of the paper work for clubs if not better explain how things work.

I think the student body is pretty diverse.

I think Hunter has a great faculty. I wouldn't really change much.

I know USG tries to make good events but we should have more collaboration amongst clubs.

Hunter Students are anti-social.

Mel

Way too many people. The escalators are becoming dangerous.

Way too many people. The escalators are becoming dangerous.

Very left...in a stupid uncritical way.

Poor, working-class. Apathetic about the school.

I spend most of my time in the library on the campus or in the language lab. I was told that the old language lab was extremely disorganized and difficult to get into: there were long lines and not enough service. They have renovated it, and now it's the most comfortable and relaxing place in the college. Another quiet place is the upper floor of the library. It's very secluded, so you get a lot of privacy to study.

Students who have a problem being independent would have a hard time being at Hunter. Though it is social, you really need to rely on yourself to get anything done around here. Students are very politically active. Especially during student election time, because they decorate the hallways with various posters TELLING you to vote.

No. Even though Hunter has been described as socially isolating, I haven't felt this way since beginning. Yet this could be because many of my high school friends also are students at Hunter. Though Hunter is safe, it does not card students who enter the college. So, technically anyone can enter the building directly from the subway at any time. Usually security will notice shady characters and kick them out immediately. Yet I did see a homeless woman once entering the women?s bathroom in one of the buildings.

All of my professors know my name. Yet, academically, the general requirements are really a headache because many students are already geared toward a chosen profession, yet are forced to take unnecessary classes, such as, biology. Even if you are set on being a film major. Yet I think this could be a problem with CUNY. Not directly with Hunter itself.

Most of my friends are people that went to highschool with me and now go to Hunter. It's a little difficult making friends because everyone is so absorbed with their work and time seems to fly. Also, I am a freshman and it is only my second semester here.

The stereotypes about Hunter are that it's not a very social environment, and that it could be unsafe.

Jesse

Not really. Even if most students do subscribe to a particular political ideology, they don't force it down people's throats the way some people believe. Also, while some classes have been easier than my high school classes, on the whole the school has really good academic programs, and the students here are, if anything, more motivated to do well than in other colleges.

We're all very liberal, socialist students, almost like the descendents of hippies. We're mostly women, very feminist, and hate Republicans. The school is really bad, with students who are not academically strong, and the curriculum in general is very easy

Nina

The one thing I'd change about Hunter is it's registration process, and times of classes. Many higher level classes are in the evening, and the schedule becomes tiring.

The best thing I like about Hunter is that it’s easy to get to and hard to miss. It’s right in the middle of 5th avenue, and the train station has an entrance directly into the school. The one thing I’d change is the security. Anyone can go into Hunter without getting checked for I.d. That could be a problem.

Students in Hunter are from all over the placee! Really, there are many international students, making this an especially diverse college.

Don't be deterred from choosing to go to Hunter just because it's a CUNY. This is a great college (especially in medical studies).

Yes, it's true. Signing up for classes (especially introductory courses) is really exhausting. The servers are very slow, so by the time you do get to sign up (after waiting for two hours!)your class is closed. And you?re left begging the professor to over tally you, or need to take the class at odd hours, such as the evening; creating uneven and long breaks.

The students in my field (biology) are very competitive, especially if they are opting for pre-med. This group is very tight; more than others, I would say, because of the time required for studying. We have study groups because the classes are so difficult, especially for those trying out for the nursing program.

There aren't that many. Maybe, that the registration process (ESims) is really tedious.

Hunter is very diverse, and most students interact with each other, regardless of ethnic/ religious differences. When it comes to discussing how much they'll earn one day, usually it's the opposite: how much we won't earn! unless you're i nthe medical field or law.

Hunter is a good school when you get used to the fast pace.

These stereotypes are not true. I?ve met wonderful people here at Hunter. I think this stereotype stems from the fact that most people are quick to leave after classes end

In some classes professors get to know your name, if the class is not too big. Most students I know don’t spend time with professors outside of class, unless they are assistants or grad students. Hunter’s academic requirements are a bit of a drag, but that extends to the CUNY system and the need for prerequisites that don’t concern your intended major. It’s better to get them done elsewhere and then transfer in. The education is geared toward learning AND getting a job. But the students I know in liberal arts worry they’re wasting their time learning for something they won’t find a job for!

You don't exactly hear about groups at Hunter. There are posters and fliers for different events stuck to the walls, but things just take place without the general body knowing about them . There are often bake sells in the middle of the hallways, or clubs trying to get members.

Many people think Hunter students are self-absorbed or, in general, unapproachable because they are always rushing.

Kyle

When I tell people that I go to Hunter, they react positively because they think, oh that's a nice area it is in. The school is very large, maybe even too large; but it has many places to hang out in, and they are not crowded. The most frequent student complaints is about the vending machines. They break a lot and eat your money.

I have friends of many nationalities and religions. Mostly they are from South Asia, like myself, but many others are foreigners from Ireland, Englad, etc... I'd say, I mostly gravitate towards international students because I am one myself, and we deal with similar issues involving becoming used to life in the US.

No they're not. Actually, I've made many friends. It depends on the individual and the time he inputs in getting to know his peers. And, yes, soem professors are not that great. But that goes for any college. Most professors here are nice and intelligent.

The students are very competative at Hunter. Especially in the nursing feild. To get into this feild you need to have an excellent GPA and really input the tiem to study, otherwise you won't get into the program and won't stay in. I spend some time with professors outside of class when I need help with my assigment. The requirments for nursing are tough, but understandable.

The nursing students have a nursing club. I am not part of it because I have no time with studies and work. Also, the nursing students are a bit distant from liberal art students because we take many biology/chemistry classes on the Brookdale campus, a few train stops away from Hunter's campus.

Because Hunter is so large, people don't take the time to interact, and also that professors are not that great.

Marisa

Hunter College's main campus in very convenient with bridges that link the four buildings uptown, and a subway stop entrance within the west building. I would change how the way the nursing school application is announced only through word of mouth rather than mail or e-mail when a student had enrolled into a nursing block from the very first semester as a freshman at Hunter. The school size is just right. Most of the people outside of NYC ask, "Hunter? Where's that?" I spend most of my time in the library. What college town? Hunter's admission is very slow. They were the last nursing school to get back to me about my acceptance when I applied to all of my choices within the same week. The biggest recent controversy is the nursing program control by the Brookdale Campus Vs the uptown E 68 st. campus. The uptown student government pushed for 20 more students to be accepted into nursing to assist the funding while Brookdale nursing professors argued that there is not enough space for that. There's some school pride, but I do not see a lot. No, there's nothing unusual about Hunter that I could name right now. I will always remember the one house clinical I was actually late to during my first semester of nursing school, and how I was panting at arrival after having had to run back home for forgotten supplies. The computers are down and not working after slow freezing screens.

It has increased my cultural awareness immensely. A very country person. Casual jeans and Ts. Yes. One table has 10 people sitting together, talking loudly about the group project they are working on together. Another table has three students chatting as they eat because they had randomly ran into each other. One other table has four people chatting about the class they just left from. One table has a girl studying by herself on her lap top w/ her coffee. Brooklyn. Middle-class. Some. left. yes.

They are not true most of the time. A lot of students go into college with an undecided major, and take different courses at Hunter to find what they want.

Some. My favorite class teaches us about leadership in the profession I am pursuing, and the professor states out methods of management of very realistic situations. My least favorite class discussed very specific nursing research techniques and research terminology. Some nursing students are almost always studying. Class participation usually only involves a handful of students. Yes. Yes. The most unique class I took at Hunter was my intro English course. Prof. Steinkoler themed the readings and assignments to "Monster," which made everything very fun. Hunter's Nursing program has very high expectations of their students. All students are expected to embody many characteristics of the nursing school's nursing philosophy, such as knowledge & integrity. No. Hunter's academic requirements are sufficient for a Baccalaureate. Both.

ASIA NSNA promotes health awareness through health fair teachings and whatnot. I do not know. Very. Occasional. Not frequent. People date like most other college students at other schools. Through classes. I'm on the internet. A outdoors fair in the Fall. Some not at all. Some party routinely. Not very significant. Go grocery-shopping, see my boyfriend, read, etc. Study. Study, see movies, go clubbing, etc.

People attend Hunter because they could not get into the school they actually wanted to go to.

irina

The best and worst thing about it is the size, its huge and overwhelming but at the same time provides a huge amount of resources and room to explore because of that. Reactions to "hunter" differ. Some people consider it a dumb school, some are impressed, most people outside of NYC have no idea what you're talking about. "Hunter Honors" usually brings about a positive reaction when people have heard about the program. If they haven't, you have to start explaining how super-special you are, which gets reaaallly awkward. Most honors students will just say they're from hunter and leave it at that. Hunter is not really a campus school, which is one of it's biggest issue (hence, very little extracirricular involvement and no school pride or support). administration, controversy and student complaints can all be addressed with one word- beauracracy. Lots of admin layers, red tape to cut through and people behind large desks who have no idea what's going on. Hunter's location and super-diverse population make it unusual. There was an old couple in my freshman human sexuality class and my night classes are full of really inspirational people who hold down jobs and take on my courseload.

very very very diverse, everyone is here. Most students are middle-class, a lot of immigrants and 1st gen college students, it's a city school, hugely commuter and tuition is low. Interaction occurs in classrooms, not so much outside. classrooms are diverse but major-dependent. No one uses the dining hall. Very left (for the most part), there's a lot of political activity and activism on one end and a lot of apathy on the other. Most people come from backgrounds that emphasize the link btwn edu and $, so money matters, but the pre-meds and pre-laws probably care more about it than the film majors.

Mostly. It's pretty easy to shift between groups, identities, interests etc. so it seems like there are a lot of niches to fit into.

Professors will know your name in smaller, upper-level classes. In intros and lectures you're just another face. Most favorite classes are usually upper level challenging psych classes taught by adjuncts from all over (columbia, weill-cornell, the proffesional sector). I had a media class taught by an NY Times editor who had different NYT writers come in to speak with us every week, amazing experience. Studiousness depends on your major and level of your classes. competition is the same way, it's chill in my department, but i hear the sciences have some issues. Intellectual conversation can be found if you want it. Department is huge but no complaints. It's up to students to find mentors, get involved in research projects, keep themselves updated etc etc. Core requirements are huge and super-complicated. They're trying to change that now, but a lot of students get messed up by the GERs (general edu requirements) and you hear about people who stay an extra semester or scramble to take credits the summer after their grad date. Edu seems geared toward learning for its own sake, or prep for post-college education, but there are some exceptions.

extracirricular and social involvement is pretty low, most students are balancing courseloads, internships, jobs and family responsibilites as well as long commutes. For me, my friends are very different from my proffessional/extracirricular associates and the 2 rarely overlap. female to male ratio is 70:30, dating potnential is very low. My closest friends went to high school with me, are from the same borough as me and have the same ethnic background (i think this is kind of sad). 2 am on a tuesday- studying or shooting the s*** in the dorm- where people keep their doors closed. No huge annual happenings (i can think of a french film festival), people party in their home-neighborhoods mostly, low greek life (mostly based around community service), a sat night without drinking involves eating and good conversation. Last weekend I went home to my parents in brooklyn and hung out there.

the school is pretty huge and diverse, so it's hard to lump everyone into one stereotype. There are a lot of groups, cliques, etc. so a lot of "sub-stereotypes". For example- a lot of pre-med students are immigrants, the russian kids from brooklyn, the smart chinese kids. You've got the yuppies with artsy majors, a pretty large gay/lesbian population and a subculture that goes along with that (which again, gets linked to certain academic departments). There are the honors college kids, with their own lounge, free room and board and lots of other perks- regular students raise their eyebrows at you when they hear you're from the honors college. There is also a sizeable population of older students, people who work and go to school full or part-time, post-bacs who come to hunter to get a few more credits before making huge career changes.

Kendall

One of the most favorable things about New York’s Hunter College Situated in the heart of Manhattan’s Lexington avenue, is its design. Hunter is divided into three buildings: North and East and West, which are connected to one another by walkways lined with windows exhibiting the Manhattan skyline, and intersect with the main West building . The West building consists of escalators that lead to upper floors and also down to the entrance level, where the students may exist the college directly into the train station without ever having to step foot outdoors. As opposed to other institutions in New York, such as the Kingsborough Community College campus situated along the coastline of Brooklyn -- which utilizes individual buildings with vast walking distances of each other; Hunter’s compact design allows students and faculty to access departments in all three buildings comfortably, without having to venture outdoors in unfavorable weather conditions. Making it ideal during cold Winter months and New York’s brash variable rains. An unusual array of 'hang out spots' are as overabundant in Hunter as its numeric student body. Most students congregate in the large lunch room in the West Building's third floor.Other's sit on the sidelines of Hunter's walkways, cross legged with laptops in hand, or gazing at the skyline and traffic below, or chatting in small bundles with fellow classmates. Other's lounge around in the library, or stretch across, sleeping on pushchairs in Hunter's seating areas situated on the many floors in the West building. And the college's more memorable qualities include promoters for Hunter's many extracurricular clubs gathering in the North building's hallway, often handing out fliers or cup-cakes for membership, and blasting various music --ranging from Sting to The Cure to Beyonce-- from a portable stereo. Other student's, like myself, who value more quietude, often relax on stairways or windowsills on the top floors of the East building's Anthropology department -- an ideal place for studying or having lunch in absolute solitude . Though buoyant and lively, Hunter's student's do not necessarily encapsulate school pride, at least not outwardly. Most students direct their pride toward individual topics, such as the political, racial or gender topics; many times rallying in the hallways through music or posters or fliers to get their message across. This results in a multitude of information on topics otherwise not addressed or readily noticed. But school pride, is not something I have seen displayed openly, if at all. If it exists, it does so under the current of more outspoken groups, and needs to be more direct or step into the foreground to be noticed by the attending masses. In addition to the languishing school pride, one other thing I would change about Hunter is it's poor ability to deal with paperwork occasionally -- something the admission office will not admit. And is one of the most frequent of student complaints. This issue particularly concerns the financial aid office. Upon first arriving at Hunter, I, myself, had to deal with the financial office’s tendency to lose certain documents, and failure to confirm the validity of others. One such issue concerned their inability to ascertain my citizenship, when I am a native of America! Twice I sent in the appropriate documents, to no avail. Eventually, I had to address the issue on a face to face basis, and only then was the problem resolved. Since then, I had trouble – albeit minor-- with other offices and documentation. However, I found that offices deal with issues most poorly by mail. Most likely, a student’s problem will be addressed and quickly apprehended if he/she visits the office personally. This may be due to Hunter’s overabundant student body -- one of the largest in the Tri-State-- which results in greater paperwork and thus a greater chance for mishaps.

When it comes to racial, religious, and other groups at Hunter, I do not see them. Or know about them. Unless I take the time to speak with others; and usually there isn't much time to socialize when everyone is in such a hurry. Another thing is that people tend to stick with what they are familiar, being of Russian ancestry, my first inclination was to gravitate towards others of my own kind and share experiences. I don't advise this habit, as it prevents one from meeting other interesting individuals/ groups on campus. Interact with others as much as possible. And most are willing to socialize and share experiences, as Hunters student body is very diverse. In Hunter, It is difficult to tell where most students are from as it is a very large school. During class, before the professor appears is the best time to take a moment to talk to your classmates. Though this doesn't provide a real ability to get to know your each other, if you proceed to do so daily, or often, you'll gain much information and learn a lot. I've met people from Finland, Ethiopia, Bulgaria, Egypt, etc.. At Hunter, you never know who you may meet, and from where! Any country's native is possible,. And this is definitely Hunter's greater attributes. Such diversity certainly brings to mind a lot of fashions. Though, most students, I find, dress surprisingly similar. This is due, I believe, to the digital age, and the availability of different fashions to different parts of the world. Although, I must mention that I've noticed -- Japanese students tend to accessories and dress in vibrant colors more so than any other groups I have seen! Financial backgrounds are similarly entwined. Most students I speak with are by no means wealthy, many are living on their own or with roommates. And quite frankly , many are living from pay-check to pay check. European students are first to admit that their integration into the American/ New York environment has been a difficult one in terms of economical matters. other students, like myself, are living with their parents -- hoping to find a decent job once in graduate school. Though I never heard anyone complain about expenses at Hunter, which is quite an affordable college. Excluding textbook prices, students are getting by alright.

Overall, Hunter is a comfortable campus, and has a place for everyone; for the timid, the foreign, the native and the buoyant!

Yes and no. Most students at Hunter college are very receptive and eager to meet and get to know new people, and build friendships. However, many students are also juggling jobs on the side, extracurricular activities, or are parents as well. There is a come-and-go tendency with students. Many are eager to finish their classes for the day and hop on the six train home or wherever else they are needed. Mostly, people become familiar with those they have shared multiple classes with and stick together, yet still there is a tendency with many students to avoid large groups and depend on friendships outside the college. Especially when you are only starting, and your classes are so diverse on subjects that you may rarely see the same face twice in a class setting for months at a time.

Because Hunter college is a commuter school, relations with professors are usually minimal. Students rarely befriend their professors, and once the class is done, rarely even see their professors in the sea of faces traversing Hunter's hallways. this usually occurs within the first two years at Hunter, when the student may not have a particular major and attends opposing classes which have little to do with the other, such as Math and English; and the classes are held in large auditoriums. However, once the student has chosen a major, and has taken the initial introductory courses, classes tend to slimmer down. And the professors are more intimate with their students, more willing to provide individual attention and do not fumble with your names! When classes do slimmer down to approximately 25-30 students, participation becomes crucial. This depends on the major, of course. And I can only speak as an English major. English majors are encouraged to speak out regularly and state their observations and or opinions about the text(s) they are reading. However, there are always a few students, like myself, who sit in the back, are more timid or shy, and cannot formulate thoughts quickly in a classroom setting. This aggravates most professors, so raising a hand from time to time is a must, no matter how shy you are. Fortunately, when it comes to English lit., anything mentioned is relevant to the text, and rarely are observations deemed incorrect. Also, fortunately, many professors are starting to utilize blackboard to create discussion groups, providing students, like myself, to express our ideas about the reading material in the comfort of our home. One of my favorite and unique classes, African American Narratives (or ENGL321), employed this method, and the diversity within the class evoked many important issues regarding race and ethnicity involved in the text, which many might have been uncomfortable to voice in class. Other classes, such as Eng220, an introductory course required for the deceleration of the English major, was a large class and did not utilize blackboard discussion groups. This resulted in more introversion within the class, and the professor's inability to recall many students by name. The class ended on a bland note, and most of what was discussed remains predominately forgotten. When it comes to the English department, or many departments in Hunter, one of the most irritating aspects is the need to take redundant pre-requisits, or minors that have nothing to do with your desired major. This happens when students transfer from other colleges or systems (SUNY) and discover that many past credits have become obsolete. Another problem is the requirement to declare a major after a certain period (about half a year). Students who do not yet know their intended major are forced to beg various departments to let them assume that major, until they have chosen concretely. The english department is know to be the most fickle; immediately turning anyone away upon discovering the real reason for requesting the major. Other departments, such as anthropology (my former "major") are more content to oblige and aid the student in such tribulations. At my request, I was even told by a representative: "ha! we're the NICE department," as she printed her signature on my major request documents. Such requirements create tensions among the students toward certain departments. And I feel this is an issue that needs to be addressed. When it comes to academics at Hunter students (at least the ones I have talked to) are more geared toward getting a job than learning. Though I do not particularly think this attitude is confined only to Hunter, but the American society as a whole. It is mostly from students studying from abroad that I sense a true passion for the subjects they are learning, and making a real effort to connect to their fellow students. Studying habits often depend on how much the student has on his/her plate in his general life. Most students who work seem to contribute more attention to their work than their studies, I find. Others,like myself, who are lucky enough not to need to have time consuming jobs are able to contribute more ours to study and school related work.However, there is a healthy competition among students, though how much is geared from within an individual aspiration or is the product of society's growing demands to succeed is not known.

There are about 60 clubs at Hunter and organizations. The most popular clubs include, the Art club, Science club, African American Culture Society, and more. there are also various literary magazines, such as the Olive-Tree Review, which I have contributed to. It publishes fiction and poetry/ art pieces as well. Athletic events are not notoriously popular, as I never hear of them. Guest speakers include writers to politicians to performers (Madonna visited Hunter once). Last week, Laura Krafft, a writer from the Colbert Report, came to speak to the student body about political satirical writing. And Even tomorrow, 2/20/08, the Hillary Clinton for President Campaign is holding an event at Hunter College, and students are advised to attend. If people party, it is not largely discussed; I rarely hear about it -- as Hunter is once again a commuter school. Any partying done is done on ones own time and friends. Sororities and fraternities are also mum, and not discussed widely or openly. Mostly people stick to their own friends made within their departments, or outside the school. As for me, I'm a bookworm. Most of the time, I am somewhere on a windowsill studying, or in the library writing poems I will try to get published in obscure magazines. Strangely it is not difficult to stay anonymous and find peace in such a large and hurried pace environment.

Hunter college contains one of the most overabundant and diverse body of students in the Tri-State. Because Hunter is a commuter school, allowing for efficient transportation to and fro the campus, students come and go constantly, usually rushing home after classes or to work. For this reason, it is said often that Hunter is also a very isolated environment. The very characteristic which allows for students to easily travel to school, to work, and home, is believed to be the very attribute which creates separation between students, and disallows for the creation and building of more solid relations and friendships. Because of this, it is also believed that Hunter's student body is not only individualistic, but even less receptive to fellow students and creating lasting bonds.

Robby

The best thing about Hunter is the diversity. Age, ethnicity, origins, religion-- we have everything under the sun. One thing I would change is the tedious bureaucracy (don't know how to spell that) I get different reactions from different people depending on their backgrounds when I tell them I go to Hunter. For some, it is prestigious. For most, it's just a CUNY and I must not be anything special.

EVERYONE is welcome and present at Hunter. There are so many students from so many different backgrounds. This is New York City!

To the best of my knowledge, I think this stereotype is false. I am someone who was accepted to some of the top private universities in the country but opted to go to Hunter. I feel academically challenged because I chose to be. It doesn't really matter what institution you are at, the education you get will be the eduaction you choose to get.

My professors have always known my name. With enormous classes, I make sure that I make myself known. My favorite class at Hunter was Religion and Science. I never realized how much each disipline contributes and enriches the other. You can almost always hear students having intellectual conversations outside the classroom. The Religion department is probably one of the best in the country. It is an intimate department with an almost excessive amount of guidance and care from the faculty and department heads. I am currently taking an honors seminar with the head of the department, and the classroom is the professors living room. About ten of us sit around in her cozy home right near Hunter and eat, drink, and talk religion.

Hunter is classified as a public CUNY-system school that has a relatively poor educational program. Since it is not a private school, people often think that students will not get the best education possible.

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.