New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Jonathan

The best thing about Hunter is its location. It is very nicely situated a meer 15 minute train ride from the hustle and bustle of New York City. It's a very nice, safe area, and is very accessable. I would change that student activities area. Currently, there is only 1 floor committed to student clubs, and I'd like to see more. I love the size of the school, and would even like to see more students coming through the doors. People react very favorably when I tell them I go to Hunter, almost all saying how far Hunter has come recently. I spend most of my time in Hillel, making friends with the people there. NYC is definitely a college town, 100%. There's always something to do, and always someone willing to do it with you. The administration at Hunter serves its purpose, but I don't think it goes above and beyond the call of duty. I would comment that President Raab has done a great job transforming the school. There is absolutely no school pride, partially due to the lack of any semblance of sports.

The Hunter student body is extremely active. There are over 120 clubs at the school, helped along by the fact that Hunter is a very diverse school. There is really something for everybody. I have experienced some strife between clubs, but it's at a minimum. Most clubs just serve their purpose and have a good time. I really don't think any student at Hunter could possibly feel out of place. If I were to describe it in the most high school of terms, I would say that the tables in the cafeteria are all mixed up. Every ethnic group is paired with whomever they're talking to at the time. I don't find that ethnic groups stay together at all, with most branching out to other ethnic groups. In the classroom, you're not of a group of people, you're a student trying to learn.

I think the stereotypes are mostly accurate. I would say that the least accurate stereotype is the intelligence. While there is an element within the school that harms the image of Hunter as a good college, most of the students I've met are very smart.

The academics at Hunter are amazing. Most of the professors are ivy league graduates, and are very friendly. They often are masters of their subjects, and are able to impart that knowledge to the students. Some of the professors are personable. The level of passion in the classroom is lacking a little. Most of the students just coast through the classes and exams, often asking very few questions and not getting involved. In my department sepcifically, the Accounting Department, the professors are amazing. Outside of class they are always willing to talk to you about whatever you want. The advisors will bend over backwards to help you through the process of selecting the right classes and getting through in 4 years.

The most popular groups at Hunter are Hillel, International Socialist's Organization, and African/African-American clubs. Hillel is the most active in terms of events, while the ISO has the loudest political voice on campus. In terms of parties, the African/African-American clubs are most active, with an extremely close nkit group of friends that love to just have a good time after class. Athletics are almost non-existant. Dating is interesting at Hunter. There's no dorm campus, per-se, so it's difficult to see a girl/guy outside of class, unless you make a concerted effort. I would say the scene is easier for men, as the school is largely women. Going out at night is great, and I often go out with people from Hunter. Again, it is a little more difficult since people live all over NYC, but people are willing to travel into Manhattan to hang out. When I go out, there is almost always drinking, and on the brief occassion, a lot of it. I'm also no opposed to heading out in the middle of the day with some friends and grabbing a drink at a bar.

I think a lot of people assume Hunter students are both less intelligent and poorer than students at other universities in the city. I would also say that most people think Hunter is very "ethnic", and politically VERY liberal.

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.