New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Gabriela

my classmates are city kids that don't like to waste time. If we aren't on campus we are running around the city taking care of errands, working, or interning. In class we talk and participate to sitmulate a converstaion. Everyone is incredbily diverse.

The best thing about my school is also the worst thing, and that is, that it is a commuter school. Because it is not a campus people are coming and going all day and it is definietly quiet during the weekends. However you can't beat having a campus in Manhattan and going home after class.

Victoria

My classmates are smart and hardworking individuals from different walks of life with the same goal and determination as every other person who attends college, which is to have a career, whom I’ve been fortunate to meet, know and work with.

I wish I had known how competitive and fast paced the college was. Knowing that everything moved a lot faster than I thought would have made me buckle up and be well informed about the career choices and courses that I had to take in order to attain the degree in an appropriate number of years that it required to finish.

Pia

Being a member of a scholar cohort, I took most of my classes with members of my scholarship group. They are very competitive, as well as very intelligent. I was able to learn from them and gain help whenever I wasn't clear on something. They never hesitated and helped me get through some of the most difficult classes I've ever had to take.

Stop being so stubborn and thinking that you can achieve everything you want to by yourself. There's always going to be somebody to lend a listening ear or a helping hand. You're not alone in this important and struggling stage of your life. You're surrounded by so many people who are going to support any decision you make to make your dreams a reality; they're more than willing to help you get there. Accept their assistance because it could make such a great difference than when you would have done it on your own. They've all been where you are right now, they understand all the stresses that you're going through. You can get to where you strive to be thanks to these well-educated people. Don't take them for granted and take any opportunity given and I promise you, you will go far and succeed.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it's so overpopulated. There are over 23,000 students in such a small campus community. Since we're set in New York City, we call certain times at Hunter College as "rush hour". This is the time when all the classes decide to get out at once and it makes it almost impossible to make it to your next class in under 10 minutes.

tania

it has very challenging science courses

it has very challenging science courses

I would tell myself to not only major in something that I love but also somethingt that could guarantee my financial independency. I would also advise myself to have a double major. I would finish in the same amount of time. In addition I would convince myself to take summer classes because then I could have graduated in exactly 4 years, instead of waisting time. I would have also chosen a college that is more carreer oriented, that offered internships and job placements.

the camaraderie the students are not very helpful its every man to themselves

Esther

My classmates were attentive and hardworkers when it came to getting their work done on time.

Transitioning into college, it is important to know that no one will run after yout to get your work done. At this stage, you need to be able to proritize your work, time, and personal life outside of school. Make friends with those who share the same, or even higher goals than you. It can be beneficial to have at least two phone numbers of students in each of your classes to form study groups, or to keep eachother updated with due work. It is also beneficial to try to study a little bit everyday, instead of cramming the night before a test. It is also important to build a relationship with your professors, go to their office hours and ask for advice on how to improve your work. Overall, being a college student will bring challenges your way, but its how you attack them and go about them that will make all the difference.

Before coming to Hunter College, I wish I had known how to properly write a research paper using MLA and APA format. I wish that I knew more of their major requirements before coming to going to this school

Bruce

Well rounded, bright and creative.

Well rounded, bright and creative.

I would tell myself to first ask yourself why are going to college, don't just go in there because it is what you are expected to do, if you do that you are going to lack the hunger and the drive to push yourself in college when the going really gets tough. Ask yourself away from the hype, family, and friends why do you want to go, why is it important to YOU? What do you want to achieve and accomplish. Then I will tell him to learn everything you can about the college ot university that you will be spending the next 4 years of life going to, finacial aid office, counselors, student government, the works. The more you know about what is available to you the more at ease you will be and you will know how to use those resources when you really need them. Finally I will tell him make the most out your time, make sure you ace your classes and EXPLORE what you school has to offer this can be a springboard to future sucess if you do it right. FNALLY TRY TO HAVE SOME FUN WHILE YOU ARE THERE!

Chioma

Being the first in my family to graduate from High school in the United States was a very challenging experience for me. The credits that I received while I was in secondary school in Nigeria could not be converted to the grading system in the United States. My high school counselor was left with no option than to give me a “D” letter grade for many of the classes. Through out the two years that I spent in High School, I strived to boost my GPA by taking many advanced placement classes. Even though I was able to increase my class rank by 300 students, I was not able to improve my GPA as much as I wanted. I was not eligible for many scholarships and I was rejected by all the colleges that I had applied to. I felt like I was never going to make it because my GPA was ruined. However, I have realized that the problem was not my GPA but the way I reacted to my situation. If I could go back in time, I would advice myself to have a positive view of my situation. Although GPA is important, it is not everything.

Mario

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the best advice I could give myself would be, get a job - college is expensive & worry about getting good grades. Making the transition to college was the hardest thing for me financially, because my first year I did not have a job and the college expenses for my parents where overwhelming. In addition, I would tell myself to focus more on my class grades and not slack off . Lastly, I would tell myself to take advantage of the compass test , because while in high school it's free and once in college that test comes out of your own pocket. Not only that, but if you pass them in high school you won't need to take remedial classes in college, saving you more time and money.

andreana

one thing this school has is that it is very involved in the arts. Being that my minor is in dance i appreciate the schools involvment with the department when most colleges do not.

My advice to my high school self would be to really take the time to know what school works best for me. Just because it looks good on a website doesn’t necessarily mean its the right school for you. Going to school visitations and orientation gives you the opportunity to see how you fit in the environment. I would also say to my high school self to learn quality study tips. There is a difference between cramming and understanding material and knowing how to correctly study is very important.

i would say the dorms arw the worst thing about the school. the dorms tend to be left unclean or have severalmissues where the alarm goes off or the showers dont get hot. In my opion the dorms cost way too much money for the quality of it.

Dear high school me, Greetings, you made it! You are about to embark on the rest of your life, and each turn you take on this crazy path called life will mold every decision that comes after. Stop falling asleep in Italian class, and realize that knowing another language can open an entirely new world to you. Keep up with it in college, too. As much as an adult you think you are, realize that you have a lot of growing up to do. You have made some great friends at this point, but focus on yourself and your future starting now. Immediately. Explore and review your options, consider your strengths, and start realizing that the hobbies that you love (photography, sculpture, art) can be your career if you work hard enough at it. Also, get some of those general education requirement classes out of the way first, so if you change your mind, which is highly likely, switching colleges will be a breeze. But also, take a few electives in subjects that fascinate you, subjects that may further making these hobbies into careers. Pay attention, participate in lecture, ask ‘Why?’. Expand your life starting with your mind. Now.

The administrative is hard to navigate. It is impossible to navigate when not physically present at school. I am glad I am at Hunter as an upper-level student, because going into Hunter as a freshman would have been a difficult transition.

A commuter. Someone who lives at home or with roommates, and usually maintains a job while being a full-time student. I think someone who graduates from Hunter most likely plans to join the workforce immediatly after, rather than grad school.

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.