New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Bruce

Well rounded, bright and creative.

Well rounded, bright and creative.

I would tell myself to first ask yourself why are going to college, don't just go in there because it is what you are expected to do, if you do that you are going to lack the hunger and the drive to push yourself in college when the going really gets tough. Ask yourself away from the hype, family, and friends why do you want to go, why is it important to YOU? What do you want to achieve and accomplish. Then I will tell him to learn everything you can about the college ot university that you will be spending the next 4 years of life going to, finacial aid office, counselors, student government, the works. The more you know about what is available to you the more at ease you will be and you will know how to use those resources when you really need them. Finally I will tell him make the most out your time, make sure you ace your classes and EXPLORE what you school has to offer this can be a springboard to future sucess if you do it right. FNALLY TRY TO HAVE SOME FUN WHILE YOU ARE THERE!

Chioma

Being the first in my family to graduate from High school in the United States was a very challenging experience for me. The credits that I received while I was in secondary school in Nigeria could not be converted to the grading system in the United States. My high school counselor was left with no option than to give me a “D” letter grade for many of the classes. Through out the two years that I spent in High School, I strived to boost my GPA by taking many advanced placement classes. Even though I was able to increase my class rank by 300 students, I was not able to improve my GPA as much as I wanted. I was not eligible for many scholarships and I was rejected by all the colleges that I had applied to. I felt like I was never going to make it because my GPA was ruined. However, I have realized that the problem was not my GPA but the way I reacted to my situation. If I could go back in time, I would advice myself to have a positive view of my situation. Although GPA is important, it is not everything.

Mario

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the best advice I could give myself would be, get a job - college is expensive & worry about getting good grades. Making the transition to college was the hardest thing for me financially, because my first year I did not have a job and the college expenses for my parents where overwhelming. In addition, I would tell myself to focus more on my class grades and not slack off . Lastly, I would tell myself to take advantage of the compass test , because while in high school it's free and once in college that test comes out of your own pocket. Not only that, but if you pass them in high school you won't need to take remedial classes in college, saving you more time and money.

andreana

one thing this school has is that it is very involved in the arts. Being that my minor is in dance i appreciate the schools involvment with the department when most colleges do not.

My advice to my high school self would be to really take the time to know what school works best for me. Just because it looks good on a website doesn’t necessarily mean its the right school for you. Going to school visitations and orientation gives you the opportunity to see how you fit in the environment. I would also say to my high school self to learn quality study tips. There is a difference between cramming and understanding material and knowing how to correctly study is very important.

i would say the dorms arw the worst thing about the school. the dorms tend to be left unclean or have severalmissues where the alarm goes off or the showers dont get hot. In my opion the dorms cost way too much money for the quality of it.

Dear high school me, Greetings, you made it! You are about to embark on the rest of your life, and each turn you take on this crazy path called life will mold every decision that comes after. Stop falling asleep in Italian class, and realize that knowing another language can open an entirely new world to you. Keep up with it in college, too. As much as an adult you think you are, realize that you have a lot of growing up to do. You have made some great friends at this point, but focus on yourself and your future starting now. Immediately. Explore and review your options, consider your strengths, and start realizing that the hobbies that you love (photography, sculpture, art) can be your career if you work hard enough at it. Also, get some of those general education requirement classes out of the way first, so if you change your mind, which is highly likely, switching colleges will be a breeze. But also, take a few electives in subjects that fascinate you, subjects that may further making these hobbies into careers. Pay attention, participate in lecture, ask ‘Why?’. Expand your life starting with your mind. Now.

The administrative is hard to navigate. It is impossible to navigate when not physically present at school. I am glad I am at Hunter as an upper-level student, because going into Hunter as a freshman would have been a difficult transition.

A commuter. Someone who lives at home or with roommates, and usually maintains a job while being a full-time student. I think someone who graduates from Hunter most likely plans to join the workforce immediatly after, rather than grad school.

Leslie

If I could go back in time and tell 17-year-old Leslie anything, it would be to be fearless. At 17, the world that I knew was small and intimidating. That fear was paralyzing; it did not allow me to seek out different experiences for fear of failure or for fear of inadequacy. 27-year-old Leslie now understands how big the world is, how full the world is with possibilities for anyone who wants it bad enough. Failure is not something to dread; on the contrary, failure is a liberator. Failure allows you to weed through what works and what doesn't work and continue on your path more efficiently. Fear is the quicksand that keeps you stuck at a job you dislike for fear of the unknown. Fear is the kryptonite that stifles all human super powers: creativity, art, ideas, innovation, beauty, love, compassion, acceptance and tolerance. So if I could go back in time and tell any 17-year-old anything, it would be to be fearless.

The worst part about Hunter is that its a commuter school. Very few students live on campus which makes it very hard to make friends in your first year.

The best part about going to Hunter is the diversity of the students. Most students who attend Hunter are either first generation American or are immigrants. The people I met during my four years at Hunter allowed me to travel in my years after graduation.

Caitlin

Dear High School Senior Caitlin: FIRST, kudos to you for deciding to take honors academic courses to prepare you for college courses because that has helped tremendously! College is fun, don't make it a stressful transition. Take high school more seriously, study those extra hours, make those higher grades that count toward your GPA because that grade point average is more than just a number. Your GPA can be a ticket into many different organizations and societies that will aide in taking you to higher places and meeting people who share some of the same goals as you! Along with academics, continue on with your dancing career; don't let it go to waste. Keep learning new moves and improving because many colleges will appreciate your talent and offer you scholarships in this area as well. Stay in touch with colleagues and those people who have helped you through the years; you will thank them one day. Keep doing more than just the minimum, never stop improving, and continue to challenge yourself daily because education is unlimited. Also, drink more water and try the vegetarian diet; it is very rewarding! BRAIN POWER!

Anna

So Anna, you're applying for college... so heads up first, Hunter is another Tech, except there's a prettier library and the computers can go onto Youtube. Remember everything you did this last year? Like how you decided to not go to class sometimes, or when you didn't do your homework till 4am the day it was due, or even worse when you decided to just not do it at all? Get your stuff together. Do your homework, make a schedule, clean up your desk once in a while and go get some sleep. It doesn't help when you decide to do your sleeping in class. Also the judo class that you're taking, keep it up even after getting into college. There are occasions when people ask you what skills you have and you can't just list a whole bunch of stuff that you learned but was never good at. The last thing I want to say to you is just go for it. Don't worry about what other people think, so what it's a CUNY? You might not have known much about Hunter but you're not going to regret it.

A person who wants to be in an environment where he/she is able to personally know all his/her classmates should not attend this school. This school has a lot of people and while its diversity is something I personally love, others would rather just closer to a certain group.

The worst thing I consider in this school would have to be registering for classes. There's a whole bunch of us students and sometimes having a late registration time isn't beneficial. Cross that-- having a late registration time is never good. Everyone's trying to register for classes where the teachers are highly rated and sometimes the times of the classes clash too. Overall, it's a pain to have to change the "perfect schedule" because you couldn't register for it.

Meghann

I would tell myself not to take myself so dang seriously. I've always been a perfectionist. I have always put letter grades and my GPA in front of my happiness. I'm not really talking about the different between an A and a C. I'm talking about the difference between an A and an A+. I took time off school because I became depressed as a result of this kind of thinking. When I got a B for the first time, I was really upset. It was pretty ridiculous. When I came back, I had realized that it didn't just matter what I did inside the classroom. That would help, but work experience and internships could also give me an edge. I have tried to find what I love doing and become a well-rounded job candidate. It's alright if I get a B so long as I keep going. I don't need to be perfect. And I shouldn't take myself so dang seriously.

I would have to say the bureaucracy. It's very hard to get any straight answers from the financial aid office, the bursar, or the registrar. It has also been really hard to be involved in the clubs because the college association and student activities are hard to deal with. Everyone who works in these offices wants to help, but they are often not well-informed. Eventually, you can get stuff done but you have to be insistent and ask for supervisors.

The moster frusrating thing about Hunter is that it is part of CUNY which is a huge government entity. It's hard to feel like you can have an effect on how the college in run when the administration is effectively really far removed from you. The professors, it seems, don't even have that much of a say.

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.