CUNY Hunter College

« See more reviews of CUNY Hunter College

sometimes i feel like there really isn't much opportunity to make friends, mostly because you only get to see them for one or two classes, sometimes twice or once a week for an hour. and when that semester is over and you don't take the same classes with that person anymore and you move onto different students who eventually does the same thing. i met my friends because we had a block in our first semester, so we would be in the same classes everyday, we would see each other everyday, talking about the current classes etc. its a block where the students are working towards the same goal so its quite easy to befriend them.

My school is unique mostly because of it's diversity- both in location/environment as well as social/economic/culture. Set in the heart of the Upper East Side in Manhattan, it allows students from out of the city to experience city life as well as nearby Central Park's nature. While I grew up in a pretty diverse environment, it still amazes me how entirely different almost each and every student is. Alongside diversity between students, the classes offered were even more impressive. Mythology, Human Sexuality, and Vampires & Folklore are three examples of diverse classes.

Hunter offers a unique perspective being in the middle of such a large city. It exposes you to the extremes of the real world around every corner. And I think being in New York City, it drives students to live the "New York" lifestyle when they leave college, which is probably benifical for their careers. They make it easy to register for and take your classes (with the exception of only offering some courses once a day). And the diversity that you find here won't be matched at most other schools in this country.

If you know your major and are coming to Hunter specifically for it, do not only see a general advisor as a freshman; also go to the department that you intend on majoring in and speak to them about the exact requirments you need in order to have a direct known path, or intention for the next 3 years you will spend at Hunter. A lot fo the students are not told this when they first come into the school, therefore, many of the students at Hunter are graduating a semester, even a year later than normal.

As it pertains to me, their foreign language programs is one of the best among CUNY. They recently got almost a million in funding to start a flagship Chinese education program. Also, the professors, not the adjuncts, tend to be big shots in their field. If you look them up online, you'll see that they tend to have a finger in every pie. Last, all the buildings are connected which means that when its raining, you dont have to get wet to go to your next class in another building.

Well Hunter College is in the middle of the City not too far from Central Park. I love being about to walk around the park with my friend in the Spring. Also all of our buildings are connected by glass bridges so while you're eating lunch on the bridges you can watch the city come alive. The cars passing by, the people walking up and down. And oh yea it's in the perfect area for shopping!

This school is in the center of the city. Transportation is easy and a variety of places are easy to get to. There is a park (Central Park) just a few streets down for people to relax and exercise. There are also many resturants, convience stores, boutique stores, etc. around the area so students at Hunter can enjoy themselves on a break or just to hang out.

I think that what makes Hunter unique to other schools is that it is a CUNY, and while most CUNY's often do not have great reputations, Hunter has a great reputation with a concerned and competative staff. I think it is unlikely that other schools are as diverse and aware of the world at large as Hunter College is.

Probably the building. A vertical campus consisting of three buildings doesn't lend itself to enabling frequent interactions with other students. You come to class, do the work, then leave. I suppose most New Yorkers don't have much time to sit around and chat anyway.

Hunter College is very "student oriented". The professors treat us like their own children, the staff are very eager to see us succeed, and the fellow peers are never quick to give up on their classmates. It is a world all its own, and I am proud to be part of it.