CUNY Hunter College

« See more reviews of CUNY Hunter College

There are plenty of Professors with (sometimes multiple) degrees from Ivy League and other equivalent colleges. Each class is unique to the department and professor in terms of course load, a lot of students use Rate My Professor to find the Easy A courses. The Thomas Hunter Honors Program offers the most unique courses, similar to seminars. I am an Anthropology Major that is pre med and my department is great. The department head has the best and coolest office ever, with some classic anthropological decorations. I see my professors during their office hours and such if I really like them and want to get to know them, a lot of them went to Occupy Wall Street as well so plenty of students from Hunter bonded with their professors there. Some people complain about the many general education requirements but I completed almost all of them the first year and with all the opportunities for so many classes, if I was not in the Thomas Hunter Honors program (almost in, takes like a year and a half to complete to remain permanently) and not pre-med, I would have sooo many other great classes to take and I would graduate early. There is definitely both gearing towards a job and learning for its own sake, especially if you were say only an Econ major with a job/internship you would be able to finish your major and still take other knowledge encouraging classes, so you get the best of both. You can also take 3 courses at all the other CUNYs or be in the CUNY BA program and take more than three.

Professors will know your name in smaller, upper-level classes. In intros and lectures you're just another face. Most favorite classes are usually upper level challenging psych classes taught by adjuncts from all over (columbia, weill-cornell, the proffesional sector). I had a media class taught by an NY Times editor who had different NYT writers come in to speak with us every week, amazing experience. Studiousness depends on your major and level of your classes. competition is the same way, it's chill in my department, but i hear the sciences have some issues. Intellectual conversation can be found if you want it. Department is huge but no complaints. It's up to students to find mentors, get involved in research projects, keep themselves updated etc etc. Core requirements are huge and super-complicated. They're trying to change that now, but a lot of students get messed up by the GERs (general edu requirements) and you hear about people who stay an extra semester or scramble to take credits the summer after their grad date. Edu seems geared toward learning for its own sake, or prep for post-college education, but there are some exceptions.

I feel like the "general education requirement" wants students to learn-just for the sake of learning and be a well rounded individual. If the school wants us to work toward our future careers then those who wish to major in literature wouldn't need to take math or science based courses. Although i could care less about my history courses (required for GER) I sort of also like the information I'm learning. The credit's not really going to my still undecided major (i want to study science ) but it's still nice to learn about something outside of my major. most of my professors don't know my name, it's something that is both good and bad. the good thing would be since the professor knows my name and my face it would pressure me to learn. I would feel embarrassed if my professor hands me a bad grade and looks at me with a disappointed look. but then again that is also a bad thing, b/c maybe i don't want to feel pressured. class participation is uncommon, since most professors don't call on people to respond, usually the more opinionated kids take over the class, leaving people like me to doze off in the back, doodling and what not.

Some. My favorite class teaches us about leadership in the profession I am pursuing, and the professor states out methods of management of very realistic situations. My least favorite class discussed very specific nursing research techniques and research terminology. Some nursing students are almost always studying. Class participation usually only involves a handful of students. Yes. Yes. The most unique class I took at Hunter was my intro English course. Prof. Steinkoler themed the readings and assignments to "Monster," which made everything very fun. Hunter's Nursing program has very high expectations of their students. All students are expected to embody many characteristics of the nursing school's nursing philosophy, such as knowledge & integrity. No. Hunter's academic requirements are sufficient for a Baccalaureate. Both.

My professors have always known my name. With enormous classes, I make sure that I make myself known. My favorite class at Hunter was Religion and Science. I never realized how much each disipline contributes and enriches the other. You can almost always hear students having intellectual conversations outside the classroom. The Religion department is probably one of the best in the country. It is an intimate department with an almost excessive amount of guidance and care from the faculty and department heads. I am currently taking an honors seminar with the head of the department, and the classroom is the professors living room. About ten of us sit around in her cozy home right near Hunter and eat, drink, and talk religion.

The academics at Hunter are amazing. Most of the professors are ivy league graduates, and are very friendly. They often are masters of their subjects, and are able to impart that knowledge to the students. Some of the professors are personable. The level of passion in the classroom is lacking a little. Most of the students just coast through the classes and exams, often asking very few questions and not getting involved. In my department sepcifically, the Accounting Department, the professors are amazing. Outside of class they are always willing to talk to you about whatever you want. The advisors will bend over backwards to help you through the process of selecting the right classes and getting through in 4 years.

At Hunter, we're very competitive. It may not show on the face but, believe me, the drive is there. The academic requirements are a little tough though. The General Requirements can be really irritating because they take up so much time! And if you transfer from a college abroad, many of your credits could just transfer as electives...which stinks. Though, in some cases, you can appeal to have a class count for a requirement. Usually, they'll give in. Especially, if you're in something like French literature and you need to do two semesters of bio lab when you have already taken a semester at your other university. It just wouldn't make sense to do it again!

In some classes professors get to know your name, if the class is not too big. Most students I know don’t spend time with professors outside of class, unless they are assistants or grad students. Hunter’s academic requirements are a bit of a drag, but that extends to the CUNY system and the need for prerequisites that don’t concern your intended major. It’s better to get them done elsewhere and then transfer in. The education is geared toward learning AND getting a job. But the students I know in liberal arts worry they’re wasting their time learning for something they won’t find a job for!

Many professors do know my name. My favorite class is the graduate class Media & Violence by Prof. Gorelick and other Women's Studies classes, such as the psychology of women and Immigration and Gender. Students are very active in class and we often stay long after class, engaging the professor with our questions and lively discussions. I am a marketing and public relations double major and psychology minor.

The students are very competative at Hunter. Especially in the nursing feild. To get into this feild you need to have an excellent GPA and really input the tiem to study, otherwise you won't get into the program and won't stay in. I spend some time with professors outside of class when I need help with my assigment. The requirments for nursing are tough, but understandable.