CUNY Hunter College

« See more reviews of CUNY Hunter College

I do not recommend basing your choice of an institution upon pedigree, i.e., name and public perception. You should select the place that is most comfortable in terms of demographics and the quality of the education that you believe that you can receive. The demographics of the student body and faculty should be a top selection criterion because it shows how comfortable you will be at the institution. If you are not comfortable there, it will be reflected in your academic performance. The faculty forms a perception of who they are teaching based upon demographics. They are keenly aware that they are educating the next leaders of the world, or the low-income population who will change the world, or the next social servants ? whatever the case may be. Choose the institution that you think will help you develop your character. The academic quality will typically follow from this. Take a look at the school?s mission. And, if possible, inquire about the experiences of the students that are actually attending the school of choice. The integrity of the social environment and the qualities that you as an individual can bring to bear upon your education are most valuable.

College has a way of making a person humble. I entered college assuming that I will do well, but I did not prepare myself well in some classes and ended up with below than average grades. I learned that in order to succeed you need to work towards your goal on a daily basis. Make a table of assignments and deadlines for each class. Actively participate in class by asking questions and open your mind to the answers. When studying do not simply memorize, instead, give yourself time to understand the answer. Balance an academic life with a social life. Having a job, volunteering or simply hanging out with friends and family replenishes your drive to study. Also, network with people in class to form study groups or have someone to call for help. Most importantly be honest with yourself and plan for your future. If there is an opportunity that you want, believe in yourself and apply so that you won’t regret it later. Build your resume and curriculum vitae: apply for internships and summer enrichment programs and volunteer in areas that interest you. Mainly, make things happen for yourself. Improve yourself and take care of your health.

Going to college has been paramount on my agenda. Growing up in a family of six with both my parents Masters Degrees holders in their educational careers,i promised myself that i would also acquire the same level of education as they did. My College endeavors hasr been chalenging for me,but i continue to strive for excelence in my studies. As a full-time worker and also combining it with college can be cumbersome on your body and mind.I managed to encomperate healthy lifestyle into my studies,such as exercising regularly . High school life is different from college life whereby the student has less responsibility to assume, especially with financial challenges that college student has to deal with. In my honest opinion i think high school students should start thinking about saving for college when they are still in high school.This would reduce the burden of financial instability by half. In conclusion,my advice i would give to myself would be acquire as much knowledge as you can in high school because that would go a long way in your studies at college,save for college and get a mentor to help you make good career choices.

If I could advise myself about what to really expect from college, I would note how crucial both sleep and excellent health are to surviving. Excercise is also important to integrate into your schedule. As a dance major, I excercised every day in class. For others, however, make sure to keep your body active - endorphines are important for brain function, too! Avoid drinking alcohol. This takes away from your ability to function healthily. Dealing with a new hectic course schedule and trying to manage life without parental figures isn't easy when one must always be focused on becoming well and making it to classes, rather than perfecting their work and enjoying themselves as new, responsible young adults. Commit to eating well and not spending every waking hour surrounded by friends. In my personal experience, I saw that most students cared more about the social scene than they did succeeding in their chosen major. This is not the way to truly benefit from college. Your new friends are your "family ", and that is important, but your choice to attend college should be based on what you want to make out of your studies there, not how popular you will become.

Focus on your priorities and enjoy life. Plan ahead for each semester, make sure the prerequisites are met for the classes you need to take, meet with a financial aid representative and ask about grants and scholarships for academic exellence especially if you are part of a minority. There are vast opportunities to increase academic ethnic diversity. Meet with an academic counselour and ask for potential interships or special programs in the field you are interested. It will provide you with experience. Assist symposiums and network with other people even if they are not in your field of interest. You never know who you can meet and how meeting that person can help you in the future. Have good relationships with your proffessors, become acquaited to them, they'll provide you with strong recommendation letters. Have connections with classmates and most of all enjoy yourself because college time goes by fast and you will regret it if you missed it. Live your life and enjoy your friends' company. At the end of the day its your choice what you are studying, so be Passionate about it! Everything will happen along the journey not in one day so TAKE IT EASY!

Wouldn’t we all enjoy a safe travel back in time to warn ourselves to avoid making misguided decisions? If physics would allow me to do just that, I’d have an overabundance of warnings and advice that I could give my former High School self. The most significant advice I could offer myself concerning college life however would be of the fiscal sort. After the obligatory introduction, explanation of time travel and of the future, proof of identity, and barrage of questions that I’m sure my past self would need me to answer before she listens to anything I’d forewarn, I would continue as follows. With my “timely” intervention I’d advise myself to utilize the summer of 2006 differently. During that transitional summer between adolescence and young adulthood while I prepared for a mystifying journey in college education, I would have shopped less! Not only would I have urged myself to save a larger percentage of my wages, but I would have also encouraged scholarship applications as a sublime alternative to student loans and paying out of pocket for school supplies. Why incur any student debt if your mental faculties are sharp and your determination strong?

I have gotten that I am 100% responsible for what I create in my life including opportunities, relationships, successes and failures; school offers a structure in which to build this muscle of responsibility. As a student returning after a 7 year hiatus, I have a different relationship to my education than when I previously attended. I am clear that going to school is not a chance to hide out from the "real world" or bide my time until I get out and then become a professional. College is the opportunity to practice being fully engaged in my work, to start being, in a nurturing environment, that which I intend to be as a professional. I am an integrative healthcare provider and I am committed to empowering people to be responsible for their health, wellbeing and lives. In college I study with professors and students from all fields, backgrounds and interests and what I am always present to and exploring is our own uniting humanity. In this environment, I can say "what if we integrate cultural anthropology, new media and biopsychology" and there will be people who want to explore the possibility. And that opportunity is the value of attending.

College has provided the opportunity to reimagine the possibilities for my life. The knowledge and practical experience I have gained through readings, lectures and study groups, the degree I am earning, opens new doors for my own future. But the relationships formed here help me to see myself and my work more clearly. My professors and my classmates have offered their friendship and shared their views of the world. We've come from across the continents, from small towns and urban centers, and in this place, we all come together to dedicate ourselves to academic discipline, and we bring our stories with us. These stories, the diversity of thought and life experience have taught me to think carefully, to read critically and to listen with a truly open mind. In a world where honest discourse so often dissolves into polarized shouting matches in political, social and religious arenas, friendships that cross the lines we've drawn may be a way forard to greater understanding. College brings people together for short time, during some of the most formative years of life. And for that time, we learn together, live together and learn from each other.

Many students don't know what major(s) they plan to pursue, and many often change their minds in the course of their college career. Therefore, it is important to choose a school that offers a wide variety of majors, with expert professors in more than one field. Alternatively, if one is absolutely sure of his/her future career, getting into a school that specializes in that field is more important than getting into a big-name, famous institution. It is more important to know what kind of college life the prospective student wishes to have whilst at college. Would s/he prefer to stay close to home, or live far away? Dorm on campus, or commute? What activities are available? What are the job prospects? Are the faculty friendly? Are the students? Are the classes small? Is the campus diverse? Of all the variables mentioned above, I would focus on class size and the faculty. Small classes are usually better simply beacuse the proffessor is more able to respond to the students individually. Likewise, faculty that is outgoing and engaging will encourage students to learn, and teacher-student bonds prove invaluable both short- and long-term

My personal experience reminds me that the college I am attending has to certain extent changed my views, likes and dislikes, and helped me to develop stronger personality. If you are high school graduate and are not quite determined about your future career or not sure which secondary institution to pick, I will bring a couple of points which, I hope, would help you to make a right decision . - Firstly, I would encourage you to pick a college/university which is by far more challenging than many of those around your area. Thus you accumulate much more knowledge and skills than while attending "easy-going" schools; most likely you will struggle for about a semester, and it's going to be somewhat tough, but the fruits of your labor, to which you are going to accomodate shortly, will offer you plenty of success and benefit in your life and academic achievement. - Secondly, hard conditions bring people together. I mean it. Such, you won't be left alone to do the work, instead - you'll feel yourself as a member of a group where everybody is willing to contribute their effort and time to reach common goals in college and friendship.